News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento CA 2010 April 17-18 AAR

Started by BaldDragn, April 19, 2010, 03:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldDragn

Will someone explain how this keeps getting better?

I've had some very good groups of shooters on the line, but none that picked up the tools that had been placed at there feet with as much dedication to the idea that they could make a difference, both personally and as a nation! And nothing in the world feels as good as when you know you are surrounded by Rifleman and Riflewomen!

Saturday was an all out race to see if we could get everything into one day. We turned on the firehose at 08:50 and didn't let up until 17:20. I had several instructors pointing at their watches at 12:40 as I was gathering the shooter to teach NPOA. Prep period for the volley started 12:57 and lead went down range at 13:00. After a few rounds the shooters started to sync up and the sound, that I heard for the first time last year, repeated itself once more, 42 rifles reporting as one voice.

During history you could have heard a pin drop. Jules and Nukechaser did a fantastic job of bringing the story to life, helping to inspire a new generation of Riflemen to answer the call for liberty and save our great nation.

At 16:45 we posted red AQTs and wrapped up the Red Coats at 17:20.

Red Coats for the weekend.
                 Sat AM    Sat PM    Sun AM    Sun PM
Shooters        42           40          26          24
400 yards        1             0           2            3
300 yards        3             8           6            6
200 yards        6             7           6            5
100 yards      12            12           6            5
HS                3              7            6            9
Clear             1              0            0            1

Riflemen, Sat = 0, Sun = 7

Kerry Johnson, 213 followed by a 226
Kai Jensen, 210 Jules struck quick and doused Kai just before he posted a 224 (I think the water helped, it was hot today)
David Church, 213 followed by a 216
Tony Gervasi, worked hard all day and posted a 212
Bob Early, second Appleseed, lots of good scores, put up a 210 and received a cool splash (Jules of course)
Ralph Burroughs put up a 172, then a 207, and got a taste of North Bridge water from Jules for a well, earned 210
Skyler Walker, or as we like to call him, Hambone, Just Hambone (AKA Sklar) 210 (more water... Jules strikes again).

When the Rifleman scores started rolling in, it was all I could do to keep up with them. I know a couple of the new Riflemen turned in other 210+ scores that I didn't get recorded.

New IITs, Sat= 0, Sun = 4

Dave Church was the first to step up and take an orange hat and he let everybody know he had an eye on the green hat. He's been the brother I always wished I had and my most challenging shooting partner all my life.

Skyler (Sklar, now = Hambone) Jules and my son, was the second to ask for the hat. After attending 5 Appleseeds He was stoked to get his 210 (with his brand new birthday LTR) and eagerly stepped up for a hat. Our family now boasts 3 Riflemen all with hats of some color.

Lisa Morris has been to 4 or 5 Appleseeds also and she has been shooting high Riflewoman scores for a while. She a lady who knows very well what she is about and anybody who under estimates her does so at their own peril, just ask Mike.

Mike Morris is the Sacramento AQT record holder with a 247 (still in search of the elusive 250) stepped up and took the hat, fitting because he has been bringing people to Appleseed since the start here in Sac and instructs often both at Appleseeds and at the range.

So California can boast about having another couple who are both Appleseed instructors ^:)^ How many couples does that make now? 6? 7? Are we ready yet for an all couples Appleseed?

We had so many people knocking on the door that the names started to run off the end of my page.

Ryan Jenson and Ryan Schwenz (Ryan #1) kept battling each other for high score. #1 came out on top this time with a 205 (Ohhhh so close) and Ryan Jenson posted a nice 174

Linda Burroughs got a very nice 192, I'm looking forward to handing her a patch soon.

Randy Kehr had his wife, daughter, and son-in-law there to see him post 178. Randy has the heart of a rifleman and I have a patch with his name on it.

Bill Craig handed me a target that added up to 191

JC, a long time friend of Appleseed in Central and Northern CA has steadily increased his scores and put up a 184.

I'm a very happy Shoot Boss. Saturday was tough on shooters and instructor alike but it was so much more than worth it. Every person on the range stepped up and gave it their best to make this a great event. From the very start the spirit of liberty was alive in this group and I believe every single person there far exceeded their own expectations.

I wonder what next month will bring?

Nice job one and all!!

"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Hambone

Angels on the sideline,
puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden
has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden.
Silly monkeys,
where there's one you're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Angels on the sideline,
baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason
and this is what they choose?

Antibubba

Skyler,

Dude!  Congratulations!   O0
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

M1shooter

Hambone, great quote, I love the song...not many people know of it. Congrats again, and come visit me here at the store some time.
What a great weekend, I just LOVE this stuff. After lunch on Sat, following the rally fire at 1:00pm, a few of the shooter went back to the line with a new twinkle in their eye. This no doubt was due to the history they had just heard. Understanding how, and why we are able to enjoy the liberties we have, the selfless sacrifices made hundreds of years ago by men and women who believed in something bigger than themselves, inspired the shooters to persist despite hear, dirt and fatigue. I am proud to have been involved in the instruction of new riflemen and women, and I am proud to be part of this wonderful movement.
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson
Aim small, Miss small

Jules

Wow, what a weekend! I prepped as much as I could the night before, and am glad of it. Saturday Hambone and I ran the Admin table, and checked in a gaggle of new Seeders. 46 for Saturday. We were overwhelmed with the shooter vs Instructor ratio, but BaldDragn is a pro and had us assigned to our own group of shooters to instruct and RSO/LSO's to run an efficient line.

The volley was awesome. I know the rest of the range heard it, as I talked to the Asst Manager this morning. " The range thundered".  Indeed it did.

Yanno, BD is a hard act to follow in the sharing of the history, and yet the rest of us managed not to look too awfully bad in comparison. That being said, BD would stand there and do all three strikes, so it is good to interrupt him now and then.......

Although not into the 90's as last April, it was a bit toasty on Sat. Little did I know that Sunday was gonna be even warmer. Our pop up needs to be on the list of Friday eve prep.

Sunday morning saw the Sat only folks gone, replaced with the Sun only folks. These were returning Seeders in want of the elusive Rifleman patch. And they did not disappoint. My goodness. I sat in a pile of AQT's scoring in the scorching sun. ( yes I am a weenie, I belong in a cool and cloudy environment, like Wales) One target after another realized a new Rifleman. 7 for the Shoot this time. The instructors autographed a few, and we kept our son guessing whether he qualified or not til the end of the day......... I know, we are harsh, but if you know Skyler, it is a fitting payback. ..:..

We had so many amazing folks this weekend. They persevered through the heat and dirt. The pics I have make it look so tame and scenic. Don't let it fool you, it was wretchedly humid. Many a shooter and Instructor was dousing themselves. I went to our very lovely bathroom on Range 9, and stuck my head in the sink. Yes, I know....... I am a weenie. But a Scrappy one.

BaldDragn let the shooters vote whether they wanted yet another AQT in our 'AQT cha cha', or to post the final Redcoat. They wanted to dance, so another AQT went up, and then the Redcoat.

We had the raffle, the Benediction, the Patches, rockers, and then ..............what is this, the HATS?  Yes, we had 4 new IIT's step forward and take a hat. Wahooooo! And one ( Dave aka TazMan on the Forum), who said he wanted to take the Green one from Rod.  ++)

So Dave, Lisa, Mike, and Skyler are now known to us as TazMan, 30 Cal Sleeper, Polygunner, and Hambone. Why Hambone? I got the pre reg numbers Friday night to see someone by the name of  'Hambone, Just Hambone' shooting. And when the Rifleman score came, Hambone he was! ;)

So now BD and I are recovering from extreme crispiness and lack of shut eye.... but we always survive.

My shout out to all who participated in this April Anniversary Shoot. It was my honor to be able to be on the other side of the line this year. I will see y'all on the trail.

love Jules aka Scrappy
PS Pics coming once I figure out how to make em smaller  !@#)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

NorCal22Gal

AWESOOOMMMMEEEE SHOOT GUYS!!! as always.  Congrats to all your new Riflemen & riflewomen. and new IIT's.

Finally, finally, we get Skylar (aka Hambone...fits) and Polygunner and 30CalSleeper.  Congrats to you and welcome aboard.

Welcome to the appleseed family TazMan. BD hang on to your hat!!

NorCal22Gal

ps. was toasty up in Red Bluff too. 

nukechaser

Dude, have you ever even read the Constitution? Yeah, didn't think so... Read it and you'll see why I'm pissed off!

polygunner

We had yet another wonderful Appleseed weekend. BaldDragn and his instructor corps did a great job of instructing, story telling and keeping everyone safe and focused. 30 cal sleeper got a chance to shoot a real match M-14, what a treat, she is looking to upgrade her rifle after experiencing the real deal.
The weather was great, a normal California spring day. There we're some red arms and legs for sure.

I brought 4 new Appleseeders 3 we're new to shooting. Nukechaser and we will split the credit for 2 more new Appleseeders. All of them had a great time. 2 made their rifleman score and the remaining 4 showed great improvement, future riflemen for sure.
All of them said the weekend was not what they had expected, there was more to Appleseed than they thought and exceeded their expectations.

My first Appleseed was in Jan. 2009. The first one in Sac. I believe. I have been to 4 or 5 in the last year and 4 months, and I believe that Appleseed can do a great deal towards turning this nation in the right direction. So I decided I would take the orange hat this April. Bob210 has been an inspiration to me, every time I'm around him there always seems to be an extra orange hat in his hand waiting for my head to go in it.  James E and BaldDragn are also inspirational if I can be an instructor of their caliber, I'd consider my efforts a success.

I'm watching BaldDragn hand out orange hats at the end of the day, he's eyeing me to come and get the next one when I hear "I'll take one" from across the circle. Lo and behold it's my wife stepping up for an orange hat, if I had any thoughts of backing out they we're squashed right then and there. She warned me she would do that, she knows what she is about, for sure.

We are both proud to join the instructor corps and hope we can live up to the standards of those that came before us.

Here's some pics of the weekend.

Romeo's Hero

Quote from: BaldDragn on April 19, 2010, 03:11:53 AM

Lisa Morris has been to 4 or 5 Appleseeds also and she has been shooting high Riflewoman scores for a while. She a lady who knows very well what she is about and anybody who under estimates her does so at their own peril, just ask Mike.

Mike Morris is the Sacramento AQT record holder with a 247 (still in search of the elusive 250) stepped up and took the hat, fitting because he has been bringing people to Appleseed since the start here in Sac and instructs often both at Appleseeds and at the range.

So California can boast about having another couple who are both Appleseed instructors ^:)^ How many couples does that make now? 6? 7? Are we ready yet for an all couples Appleseed?

Congrats on taking the hat both of you. I look forward to working with both of you.

Couples Appleseed - Double D and I are in (just don't tell him) we call under the table.

Juliette
Rifleman's Cadence: one well placed shot every 2 to 3 seconds..... unless your hyperventilating (modified from AmbulanceDriver)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt

PinBreaker

Thanks to 6shooter for all of the excellent instruction on Sun and to Scout for the excellent instruction in March.  The weather was great.  The weekend is just a smidge more fun because I made Rifleman :)  I scored a 210 and a 211 with two different rifles.

The photos were down-res'd to 75dpi for upload.  PM me if you'd like the full-res version.

Tazman

HEY ROD FIRST MAC TRY DID NOT WORK TRYING AGIAN

Tazman

HEY ROD FOUND THE PROBLEM, THAT NEW CAMERA TAKES AT SUCH A HIGH PIXAL I CAN ONLY PUT 2 ON A POST. AT LEAST UNTIL I CAN GO IN AND RESIZE THE PICTURES

Tazman

OK TWO MORE FOR NOW. TAKES ALMOST 5 MIN TO UPLOAD. THE SECOND IS A SPECIAL UPLOAD FOR JULIE. WE ENTITLED IT AS (THE MCCARTHER) HA HA  THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT TIMES AND LOOKING FORWARD TO MANY MORE WITH YOU. ROD HAS ALWAYS PUSHED ME TO BE BETTER AND BETTER AT EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER DONE. HE IS THE BROTHER I WANTED TO HAVE SINCE I DO HAVE TWO BROTHERS, BUT ROD IS THE ONE I RELY ON.

Double D

Congrats to all the new riflemen and I spy some new Orange hats there as well  :D
"We are dedicated to this cause, but those that came before us were committed to the cause of liberty. We seem to be nearly unbelievable in today's world, but we hardly measure up to men like Issac Davis."  BaldDragn

Jules

Quote from: Double D on May 06, 2010, 04:38:38 PM
Congrats to all the new riflemen and I spy some new Orange hats there as well  :D

Yes, our young Grasshopper aka Hambone is now on board. Now we need to work on our two daughters.

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt