News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A Band of Brothers and Sisters

Started by asminuteman, April 15, 2010, 10:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asminuteman

I wish I had the words to be profound, the grace and eloquence to assemble my thoughts onto a page, that moved you to tears, but alas, I am not that person. (and I am tearing up)

I sit thinking of tomorrow and the long drive ahead of me, the weekends shoot and just how special it is. I think of you, and those souls I will share these hours with, the moment in time, and those who have past to give this chance to us.

On Saturday, together WE will share a moment thinking of them, but just before the volley I will think of YOU.
Why you ? you ask, for all the distance between us.....WE are one, and at that moment in time WE are the best of what our fore fathers wanted for us to become,.....

So from ItsanSKS in FL, to Johnnyappleseed in MO, Romeoshero in CO, ChrisH in NV, to KoolAid In SanFran..
and all across this great land....*a tip of the tricorn*......Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!
You, my fellow appleseeders, my country men (and women) I wish for you the most wonderful of weekends!
Safe travel, safe shoots, lots of stories and pictures to share.

The Cali Crew....dudes and dudettes! at around 9am it will be our turn (exclusively) WE will be starting that first target (redcoats) ALL together, ONE UNIT, ONE TEAM...and I will think of YOU, the family (eccentric as it is).
I have nothing but happy thoughts and wishes for you, be safe one and all.

I will drive past many of you on my way to my shoot, your in my prayers this evening. I could go on, but not my way to have gone this far.....way out of character......

Because its a "special" weekend God Bless General Washington
god bless all of you & God bless America
your humblest of servants @)
Ken

p.s. the typo was intended for a extra special instructor and all that they have imparted to me.
you know who you are Thank You
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Dano

Thanks for the thoughts Ken it was a humbling weekend! This post really touches the heart.

Dano
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Cal 7.62

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

ItsanSKS

When 4:00PM came and the order to Fire was given, I could hear the reports of thousands of rifles in my head, and I whispered a short prayer that everyone of my Appleseed brothers and sisters would be protected throughout the trying times that we have ahead of us, and that we never have to stand and fight for liberty as did Isaac Davis and John Parker..  

As this weekend was my first time as a SB for our special Patriots Day event, I was wholly unprepared for just how emotional this weekend was; the Volley For Liberty was especially moving, not to mention the dedication of the event to our very own fallen hero, Madam Yotnottin.  Even the history presentations seemed to take on a whole new meaning.  I could feel the eyes of our forefathers upon us this weekend, and in my heart of hearts, I know they were smiling.  

Yours in Liberty,

ItsanSKS

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

LayloPro

Ken,

hmmmm, I'm wondering.....you've "claimed" to be unable to "write well" (we already know about your spelling....) Me thinks you may be a bit more Irish than you're letting on here, as this is a fine piece of writing, to the point, and from the heart.....I expect more from ye, lad.... @&) ;) :cool2:

BTW, "eccentric"? US?? I hadn't noticed that....... #)

ItsanSKS, thank you for the effort put forth in the special presentation package for Jacqui......I feel blessed in that I actually had time to read the letters in private, because if I had been reading them cold in front of our group @ Corona, it would have been an embarrassing experience....... :'(
I can choke & cover, but cannot hide a weeping.....  :-\ :'( :-[

So I gathered the group up after lunch, & told a few stories that were contained in the letters instead, and was fortunately able to hold it together better that way...... O0

But when I was done, and dedicating the 1st Red AQT to Jacqui, I noticed that of the 8 women on our line, at least 6 of them had their large sunglasses on.....and we had some cloud cover...... :cool2:

@ Corona, we had all of our RI's & IIT call the line, in unison, for our "14 fallen" countrymen......as this is the 3rd line I have participated in like this, it -still- gets to me, and I have found the only way to get past the "choke", is to push more air thru, and get louder....... ..:..
Of course, I was spitting pink all day Monday, but so what??  %)

These only come around once a year, right?

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

asminuteman

ItsanSKS

QuoteItsanSKS, thank you for the effort put forth in the special presentation package for Jacqui......I feel blessed in that I actually had time to read the letters in private, because if I had been reading them cold in front of our group @ Corona, it would have been an embarrassing experience.......
I can choke & cover, but cannot hide a weeping.....

I cannot in good conscience take credit for the packages honoring Jacqui.  While I contributed some words and ideas to their creation, there were many more hands at work here, names I do not know, though they deserve recognition.

I must admit that the dedication to Jacqui was the toughest moment I have ever experienced at an Appleseed event, even moreso than talking about Isaac and Hannah Davis. (and THAT, my friends, is tough) Just thinking about this past weekend brings tears to my eyes.  I was unable to maintain my composure during that dedication, and it was one that I had practiced night and day, in anticipation of the problem.  Many kudos to West151Precinct for saving my bacon- I owe ya big time.

I know that Jacqui would be astounded at how her service to our country was remembered by thousands this weekend, and I further know that she would be awfully embarrassed.  She wasn't in this for recognition; she wasn't in it for self-aggrandizement.  She joined this program because she believed in it, heart and soul. 

Time to sign off, before I become a blubbering idiot once again...  Many thanks to everyone who spread the 'seed this weekend, and I look forward to working with you all at some point in the future; whether that means I have to travel to California, or ya'll make a pilgrimage to Florida this winter (who WOULDN'T want to do an Appleseed in 65* weather in January?!) or somewhere in between, the Appleseed trail will eventually bring us together to share in our celebration of Liberty- I am certain of it.

In Liberty,

ItsanSKS

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."