News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Alton Appleseed

Started by rprlrpc, April 12, 2010, 12:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rprlrpc

If you need any help with the set up I am only a half hour or so away. Another guy who will be attending drives by on his way to and from work every day. I know last year there was some trouble drilling the holes and such. If you need some help or want my phone number let me know.

TreadCarefully

That's great rprlrpc. PM me with your phone number and I'll call when we have accurate ETA's.
Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

TreadCarefully

All,

Looks like this plan is coming together.  SecurePeace and I will be leaving the Chicago area around 6am Friday. Reveille is trying to move things around to either come with us or make it down there on his own. The Editor and Templar are coming together from Bloomington. Oddball can join us but needs a ride. He is in Urbana (I think). Can anyone get him?

John Ross is excited about the event. He even had some recent clients ask about it. We should plan on a full house and anticipate running relays if necessary.

As we've been discussing, the range will take some effort to build. I have the hammer drill nd bits. I will pick up some rebar and the wire we need. Have come-alongs etc. Templar is bringing a generator. I will probably pick up an inverter as a backup. If you have extras of anything, please bring.

The range is in a quarry, the quarry (according to John) is full of water, so bring some boots.

There is a decent canopy that I plan on sleeping under on Saturday. Probably find a hotel room Friday night. Some students last year managed to set up some tents.

Each of you should pm me with the duties you would like and the history you would like to tell for the weekend.

I found this thread here on the IL board, so let's use it for planning.

Game on!

Reveille

OK, just set the Boss man straight.  I will be arriving Friday at 1000.  I will bring the following materials; 16 - 8' ground rods, 1,500' of stainless steel lashing wire,  200 8" tie wraps, a readyline inverter (8amp), 100' extention cord and various long masonry bits. (How deep did John say the water is this year?)  The bits may not be long enough!  Just a thought. 
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

SecurePeace

as a back up plan, and if the area where the targets are to be set are truly a small pond, maybe it would be possible to build (mount on) styrofoam floats and tether them in place. This way we could work with the water rather than against it. (just in case plan A does not go as expected).

I have not been to this range and so I have no idea whether this is actually a viable contingency plan, I thought i would throw it out in the open though for the team to consider.
The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right name

Reveille

I think plan "A" is the most viable.  If the water level is similar to last year we will be just fine, just wet feet and no worse for the wear.  If not, I am sure that we will figure out a workable plan.  Grabbing a bucket and bailing may be redefined after this one.
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

rprlrpc

If you are looking for a Hotel Pere Marquette lodge is the closest 618-786-2331
Jerseyville Super 8 is probably a better choice 618-498-7888
Jerseyville has several restaurants, I would recommend Hickory Grove, South of town on U.S67
If you want to stop and eat while working at the range, the Illinois River Dock in Hardin is the place to go. If you head back north without trying the brisket or smoked chicken with sweet potato chips you will be sorry.
For any supplies try R P Lumber or Farm and Home in Jerseyville, Closer to the range is Calhoun County Lumber South of Hardin.
Shooting supplies Farm and Home, Discount House and Wal Mart in Jerseyville

rprlrpc

Another thought, It is supposed to be 80 and sunny all week and we have been relatively dry for the last couple of weeks. But if water is still a problem go to Richter Fertilizer next to the range and ask to use some pallets. It is the middle of corn planting season and they should have plenty. We could use them as a bridge to the target line and then return them after the Appleseed 618-376-3311

John Boch

Pallets as "bridges" is a great idea.

Thinking from the participant perspective, I'd be a little irritated if I had to walk in 6 inches of water to check my targets and then spend the entire day with soggy boots or shoes.  Anything we can do to minimize their sogginess, the better.

I'll have the genset, GFCI and the rest of my box of accessories, and some additional cordage.

Always have basic hand tools in the trunk.

Oh, and wading boots.

John

John Boch

Houston, we had a problem.

I went to exercise the 1400W genset this morning and it's got a (made in china) carb problem.  Gas was coming out of a hole it wasn't supposed to.  I took it to a repair shop, and they said there's not a chance that it will be done in 24-48 hours.

So, that leaves the 1000W unit.  Runs great.  My only concern is that a hammer drill is going to pull more than 1000 W.  Whoever's bringing the hammer drill, can you check on the current it requires? I'm not worried about the "start" load as you can spool up the drill and effectively eliminate that.  8A is about all I expect this little unit to put out.

Oh yeah, don't buy a Coleman generator.

John

Reveille

After carefull consideration to our plans and using my experience from last years set up, I have a new proposition that I think will be the best fail safe.
1/4" galvanized support strand (this is what I use to construct overhead utilities)  it has a 10,000lb tinsel strength.  It could easily be installed with 3 downguy anchors (approx 4' long with a thimble eye at the end-I have all this on hand) placed vertical with either a hole drilled or large rocks placed at the base to secure it from shifting at the base.  Each end would require 2 anchor wires placed at  45 degree's to ensure they will stay upright.  I have a big chain hoist and a strand vise along with all the associated hardware.  This would take a minimal amount of time to set up (1 hour) and would be extremely stout. Basically we could use it as a zip line if you want, it would be that strong. I remember there being a firmly mounted metal structure on the north end of the line that we used last time so one end would be done for us already, the other end has VW size boulders to secure too.  I just want you guys to digest this and post any comments. 

TreadCarefully

That plan sounds good too. I doubt we will be there by 10am, so, assess the situation, make a decision and get started if you can. We will help when we get there. What size drill needed for the down guy anchors? The drill uses an SD chuck, not a Jacobs. I can pick up a bit at Harbor Freight.

The hammer drill says 750W, so I figure 10amps continuous to be on the safe side. I have an 2kW inverter that should be oversized. Reveille's will probably work in any case.

Sounds like we have a place to stay and dinner plans. Instructor meeting Friday night at Hickory Grove. Be there or be square.

Reveille

I will get back with you on the anchor size, it's gonna be big.  The anchor has a cupped screw so you can use an anchor cranker to screw it in soil or gravel but not solid rock. There is however a small nipple the diameter of the shaft that extends out the bottom(Approx 1" but I will verify and let you know ASAP).  I was thinking of the unknown water situation this year and leaning towards the cribbed at the base method used by the Canadian's to secure there overhead poles.  The force is applied straight downward so you need to keep the base from shifting.  Pretty simple set up and extremely strong.  If it goes the way I hope there would be no drilling required.  We would also have the ability to increase the distance to the full 82' as long as we build a walkway with the pallet idea. (Damn those soggy feet) I really hate desktop engineering so I will bring the materials for both scenarios to cover my six.

John Boch

I'll still bring the genset.  750W drill should be no problem.  It's not very big and will preclude someone risking burning up their alternator.

John

TreadCarefully

Quote from: Reveille on April 13, 2010, 03:14:48 PM
I will get back with you on the anchor size, it's gonna be big.  The anchor has a cupped screw so you can use an anchor cranker to screw it in soil or gravel but not solid rock. There is however a small nipple the diameter of the shaft that extends out the bottom(Approx 1" but I will verify and let you know ASAP).  I was thinking of the unknown water situation this year and leaning towards the cribbed at the base method used by the Canadian's to secure there overhead poles.  The force is applied straight downward so you need to keep the base from shifting.  Pretty simple set up and extremely strong.  If it goes the way I hope there would be no drilling required.  We would also have the ability to increase the distance to the full 82' as long as we build a walkway with the pallet idea. (Damn those soggy feet) I really hate desktop engineering so I will bring the materials for both scenarios to cover my six.

O0

EEL

Way to go Alton crew!   O0    Improvise, adapt, and overcome. :~   :---   ..:..

As everyone can read these boards, (hint) they can see we don't give up.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Garand69

Great to see you around Reveille!!

And these folks were nervous a day or two ago!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

mtbrass

John Boch

John Naese / TheEditor has volunteered to work the Carrolton, KY as the shoot boss.

As we're kind of a tag team this weekend, I've offered to accompany him.

I've PMd Garand69, Eel, TC, Inst. Sched, and Fred about our offer to volunteer.

John

Reveille

TC, hopefully you read this before you leave.  The drill bit size is 1" like I thought.  Pretty big and cumbersome for a hammer drill.  If you think your machine can handle it then pick one up, preferably a 16"-18" length to clear the standing water. We would only need to drill down 2". Worse case scenario we crib them with rocks if the water is too deep and you could always return the bit if we don't need it.  Not to mention this is an active gravel pit and they probably have all kinds of rock drilling equipment of hand and if someone asked them nicely they may be accommodating.  Pappy and me got to evacuate for about an hour last year while they blasted off some charges they placed.  That was interesting.  Talk to you soon.  Reveille.

Reveille

And then there was 3.  Time to roll up the sleeves.  Is anybody gonna make it that has a working generator?

George63

---------------------------

John Boch

If anyone's coming through C-U, you're more than welcome to borrow mine.

I can have it at the Prospect Ave. Exit off I-74.  An easy stop on way through town.

John

rprlrpc

rprlrpc

T C, I have to work friday and will not get into Jerseyville until 5:00 or so. James ironically is going to Chicago friday morning and will not be in town till late afternoon. James says he will stop by te quarry tomorrow to look at the water. He attended last year and has an idea on what the range should look like. I will post when I get home tomorrow. Since the holes that were drilled last year were drilled in limestone shouldn't they still be there?

Reveille

Getting a real time water level reading would be incredibly helpful.  As far as the old holes go, it's a possibility that we could find em but I was hoping to push the line out to the full 82' distance this year plus the holes are 1/2" and this year with the new heavy duty upgrade the holes would need to be 1" .  Let us know on the water ASAP.  Thanks for the update.

Quote from: rprlrpc on April 14, 2010, 08:45:17 PM
T C, I have to work Friday and will not get into Jerseyville until 5:00 or so. James ironically is going to Chicago Friday morning and will not be in town till late afternoon. James says he will stop by The quarry tomorrow to look at the water. He attended last year and has an idea on what the range should look like. I will post when I get home tomorrow. Since the holes that were drilled last year were drilled in limestone shouldn't they still be there?

TreadCarefully

Well, things do change around here!

Looks like we are trading The Editor and Templar223 for George63 and Missouri Brigade. I think we got the better deal  **)

Update on the water situation would be helpful. Supposed to rain Friday as we are setting up and be clear for the weekend. Can't wait!

Reveille, lets hook up via phone mid-morning on Friday.

George and MB, my cell is 312.623.4851. Call anytime.

I think we should plan on a hotel Friday night. SecurePeace and I are sleeping at the range Saturday.

TreadCarefully

Team,

Post here with the history you want to tell. SecurePeace is exempt as this is his first AS as an orange hat.

George63

--------------------

rprlrpc

James says that the water looks like it did last year or a little lower. At least now you know what you have to deal with.