News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Virtual Muster Night Third Strike: April 13th, 2010!

Started by The Machine, April 07, 2010, 11:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Machine

This will be the last installment of our "Virtual Muster Night" series before the big Patriot's Day weekend. I'm posting this thread now to give everyone some time to ruminate on the topics that I'd like to address, and to clear your schedule for this particular evening. I'd like to see all our WV members for this one, if at all possible. Now would also be an opportunity to invite others to our forum, so they can get a feel for what we do, and have any questions answered.

I first want to address where we are at now, in comparison to this time last year...

Instructor Status

April 2009 - We had zero WV instructors; the first several events had to be staffed with imported instructors.

April 2010 - We now have a developing WV Instructor Corps: (1) Shoot Boss; (4) IIT3; (1) IIT2; (3) IIT.

WV Forum Members

April 2009 - (6)

April 2010 - (24)  Only about 8-10 are active.

Event Attendance

March/April 2009 - Stinson, WV: March 21-22 (10) pre-reg (12) actual; April 18-19 (16) pre-reg (25) actual

March/April 2010 (to date) - Stinson, WV: March 20-21 (13) pre-reg (9) actual; April 17-18 (7) pre-reg
                                       Beckley, WV: April 17-18 (4) pre-reg

====================================================================================

If you could please study the figures above, I'd like your opinion of what is going right, or wrong. Please also read what is being said here; if you haven't done so already: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12768.0

Honestly, WV is a "tough nut" to crack when it comes to most things...as if we don't know.  ;)  We are trying to establish an unknown, outside program, into a state very suspicious of anything which hasn't been here for 50-100 years. We also live in a state whose per-capita income is one of the lowest in the nation. Add to that, the fact there are no major metropolitan areas to draw from, and a lot of folks own, or have access to, land where they can shoot. And of course, those who do own guns, are the best shots this side of the Mississippi!  ^-^  Nonetheless, this is the hand we are dealt.

That being said--as we in AS know--not only is our state in a "code red" condition, but the founding principles of our nation are almost "code blue".  $$-0  Time is certainly not our friend! I would think this should be incentive enough, for any of our volunteers in this program, to figure out a way to break-through the barriers of the preceding paragraph. Sooner, rather than later, we all have to face the consequences of our own--or other's--action/inaction.

I would like to discus this between now and April 13th. My suggestion is that we not only identify the weakness(es), but formulate a step-by-step plan of how to correct it. We should always continue to build on our strength(s) too.

The theme of this upcoming Muster is the "Third Strike". All of you WV AS "vets" should know what happened at Merriam's Corner on that particular day, and the historical significance of it. Life changing choices and a team effort were key in that particular encounter...should we expect success any differently in our endeavors? I'm looking forward to seeing you all next Tuesday.  :cool2:

"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Spanner

Here.  Or at the tavern.  If my mom calls, tell her I'm at the library.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

The Machine

I'm here...Spanner you won't be drinking alone tonight.  ;)

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

brickhouse

here! will be mostly just floating around the 'puter while doin' chores.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

The Machine

Welcome aboard brickhouse! Can you post a picture of you "floating"?  :D

Spanner

Quote from: The Machine on April 13, 2010, 09:20:11 PM
Can you post a picture of you "floating"?  :D

Cool Beans!  (Inside joke) (except for the beans part)

The Machine

No out-of-town SB has stepped up yet to help us in WV.  :(  

I received the conformation of 3 walk on shooters for Stinson tonight. They don't have puter, so they call and notify me that they're coming...a mom and her two children.

The Machine

So, any thoughts regarding the original post on this thread? Suggestions? Anything glaringly broke that needs fixin'?

vanrichten

I see the attendence page has been updated.  Only 6 for Beckley.  I highly doubt that is enough for an out of state SB to come in  !@#)
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Quote from: vanrichten on April 13, 2010, 09:32:15 PM
I see the attendence page has been updated.  Only 6 for Beckley.  I highly doubt that is enough for an out of state SB to come in  !@#)
Glad you made it vanrichten! Things are still up in the air right now; we're still working on keeping both shoots alive. No, I don't like those Beckley figures!  >:(

Spanner

For some reason, I was moved (re schedule) from Stinson back to Beckly.  I don't know if it was a mistake or if someone is yanking my chain or whatever.  Thankfully, someone told me about it.  I can't predict what the future holds, but if anyone is expecting me to be in a certain place (either for loaners or materials) all I can say is try to be understanding.  I don't know if it is a mistake that will be corrected, or is part of a plan to which I am not privy-- I simply haven't been given enough information to be able to say.

The Machine

Hmmm...yeah, I noticed the ol' switcheroo too Spanner. I just checked Stinson; the one you were originally signed up for, and it's showing 8. Add the 3 who called tonight, and that would bump it to 11. I know some loaners would be needed also.

vanrichten

A guy I work with said he signed up for Beckley today.  Still trying to get a lady and her husband to come down but that is iffy right now.  Getting people to committ is annoying to say the least.   ~~:)
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Quote from: vanrichten on April 13, 2010, 09:41:52 PM
A guy I work with said he signed up for Beckley today.  Still trying to get a lady and her husband to come down but that is iffy right now.  Getting people to committ is annoying to say the least.   ~~:)
At least you're trying brother.  ;) If there's one thing we can bank on in WV, it's non-commitment.  :wall:

Another reason I started this program here...teach some personal responsibility on all levels!

vanrichten

Personal responsibility seems to have gone the way of the dodo.  &)

If we cannot get a second SB, are we going to try and consoldate the shoots?  I would assume at Stinson? I am actually good for either place if it comes down to it.

Spanner

As far as the original post goes, I think it is worth putting our instructor numbers in perspective.  On a per capita basis, our instructor ratio is behind (established) states like OH and NM (NM has a similar population), but we actually look pretty good compared to PA and NY (also frontier states).

I don't know how the per capita attendance ratios compare; probably suckier.  Our population density in WV is more problematic than PA and NY.  So we can do better with attendance, but keep all this other in mind.

vanrichten

I am getting the word out to as many people as I can.  I carry around flyers with me to hand out whenever possible.  I am not sure what more we can do to get the word out.  Are there any papers we can advertise in that do not cost an arm and a leg?

I know we are putting stuff out at the gunshows with the WVCDL.  How else can we crack this nut?

The Machine

Quote from: Spanner on April 13, 2010, 09:52:16 PM

As far as the original post goes, I think it is worth putting our instructor numbers in perspective.  On a per capita basis, our instructor ratio is behind (established) states like OH and NM (NM has a similar population), but we actually look pretty good compared to PA and NY (also frontier states).

I don't know how the per capita attendance ratios compare; probably suckier.  Our population density in WV is more problematic than PA and NY.  So we can do better with attendance, but keep all this other in mind.

Good points...I think we're also doing good percentage wise on the number of Riflemen we've turned out so far. I think it's been running consistently above 10%. In my mind, promotions has always been the "problem child" in our program here. I would really like to get that fixed. Just think of how much things would accelerate if we consistently had a turnout of 15-20 people for each shoot.

The Machine

Quote from: vanrichten on April 13, 2010, 09:56:59 PM
I am getting the word out to as many people as I can.  I carry around flyers with me to hand out whenever possible.  I am not sure what more we can do to get the word out.  Are there any papers we can advertise in that do not cost an arm and a leg?

I know we are putting stuff out at the gunshows with the WVCDL.  How else can we crack this nut?
What I've found works best in WV, is old fashioned word-of-mouth. Yes, gun shows are at the top of our list...I would like to have someone at every show in WV this year. We have that one coming up in Charleston the weekend after our Patriot's Day shoot. Siglite is paying the table fee for us, we just need some workers to staff the table. I'll be there; you wanna help me?  ;)

vanrichten

Quote from: The Machine on April 13, 2010, 10:03:34 PM
What I've found works best in WV, is old fashioned word-of-mouth. Yes, gun shows are at the top of our list...I would like to have someone at every show in WV this year. We have that one coming up in Charleston the weekend after our Patriot's Day shoot. Siglite is paying the table fee for us, we just need some workers to staff the table. I'll be there; you wanna help me?  ;)

I am already going to be there the WVCDL on Satuday, I have no problem putting out stuff for the Appleseed and talking to folks about it.  Throw on my RWVA shirt and see what all I can do.  @@)

Maryetta

"Beware. Beware of the thing that is coming.
Beware of the risen people, who shall take what ye would not give.
Did you think to conquer the people? Or that law is stronger than life, or than man's desire to be free?"
Padraig Pearse

The Machine

QuoteIf we cannot get a second SB, are we going to try and consoldate the shoots?  I would assume at Stinson? I am actually good for either place if it comes down to it.
Can't give you a straight-up answer on that right now. Beckley is new...I'd hate to pull the plug before we get out of the starting gate. Stinson will have some young folks coming who have been really looking forward to it. They aren't going to drive another 2 hours or so to Beckley; if Stinson cancels. Now you see why I get paid the big bucks! Guess who gets to do the explaining when things go south?  ::)

Spanner

Colycat was just on the Radio show, and it sounds like (1) we aren't going to cancel, but (2) there may be confusion still about the coverage Stinson & Beckly.  I need to search around & find if there is a new SB.

vanrichten

Quote from: The Machine on April 13, 2010, 10:08:52 PM
Can't give you a straight-up answer on that right now. Beckley is new...I'd hate to pull the plug before we get out of the starting gate. Stinson will have some young folks coming who have been really looking forward to it. They aren't going to drive another 2 hours or so to Beckley; if Stinson cancels. Now you see why I get paid the big bucks! Guess who gets to do the explaining when things go south?  ::)

Well hopefully we can get someone to come up to Beckley and it will all be a moot point.  I am still pulling for the option.  As we were saying on Sunday though, it is all volunteer so we cannot force people to come work the shoots :(  If we could I would already  &)

The Machine

Quote from: Spanner on April 13, 2010, 10:11:25 PM

Colycat was just on the Radio show, and it sounds like (1) we aren't going to cancel, but (2) there may be confusion still about the coverage Stinson & Beckly.  I need to search around & find if there is a new SB.

Did he specify both shoots will be a "go"? By coverage, I guess you are wondering where you fit into the "puzzle"?  >:D

brickhouse

colycat was thumpin' hard to get a redhat to the orphan wv appleseed. cancelling either was NOT an option
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

Spanner

Quote from: The Machine on April 13, 2010, 10:15:25 PM

Did he specify both shoots will be a "go"? By coverage, I guess you are wondering where you fit into the "puzzle"?  >:D

They have been alternating between asking for SB's for Stinson and for Beckly.  So, it is as clear as mud.

Spanner

Quote from: vanrichten on April 13, 2010, 09:56:59 PM
I am getting the word out to as many people as I can.  I carry around flyers with me to hand out whenever possible.  I am not sure what more we can do to get the word out.  Are there any papers we can advertise in that do not cost an arm and a leg?

I know we are putting stuff out at the gunshows with the WVCDL.  How else can we crack this nut?

We need a range near Charleston (in the works), and a range near Morgantown.  That's how we crack it.

Spanner

I think Fred is going to be on the radio show.  The Machine, you should call in.

vanrichten

Quote from: Spanner on April 13, 2010, 10:19:13 PM
We need a range near the Charleston (in the works), and a range near Morgantown.  That's how we crack it.

Putnum should happen soon, but we will still have the issue of SB.  I am not sure what is around Morgantown, I know Chrome is looking hard up there.  I will move through the IIT ranks as quickly as possible.  I know siglite is as well.