News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

web slings

Started by Whisker, April 01, 2010, 01:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whisker

I found a website with m-14 cotton slings for $6.95 each.  Anyone interested in doing a group buy?  We could have a BUNCH for our april 17-18 shoot.  VMT- did Kevin's contact go through about slings?

What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

vmt193

The guy was out of the USGI we wanted but he's got a couple of a different kind and a couple of "new" mfg. ordered to see what they look like. I'll  ofrward this to him and see what his prices were and what he thinks. Are these USGI surplus?

Whisker

Quote from: vmt193 on April 01, 2010, 02:07:24 PM
Are these USGI surplus?

Not sure yet.  They just say "m-14 cotton sling."  I emailed the company to clarify.  Hopefully we can get bulk prices. 
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

vmt193

Kevin's are:

Danish surplus Garand slings for $8

New Chinese knock-offs of some kind for $15

I thought $15 for the Chinese was a bit high but he ordered a couple just to check them out.

Whisker

Okay the slings are usgi surplus.  Going for $6.95 a piece.  They are a little corroded.  They have about 100 in stock.  We can choose nylon or cotton.  

If we do a group buy, should we go with Kevin's guy or this website (sherluk.com)?

DeanC

I got mine from CDNN for $7.99/each and they were in perfect condition.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/m1greenwebne.html

LabRat

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1085160&filter=sling%2c+nylon&catid=0

I like the green nylon slings, but they're getting hard to find. The ones above are in good shape, apart from the hardware, but that's easy to fix. They're ugly but entirely serviceable. Look at the photo at the link, because that's about what you're going to get.

New hooks...
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=408900&filter=hook%2c+sling&catid=0

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

Old Dog

as above, CDNN  http://www.cdnninvestments.com/m1greenwebne.html  Never bought slings but I've bought mags. from them, no issues.  (lowest price)

darn, hit the wrong button before I got finished

real surplus  http://www.reesesurplus.com/  never ordered slings here either but I bought a nice pistol grip M1 stock off them one time, great service (next lowest price)

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?M5COPY.ctx=30145&M5.ctx=30145  no experience with these guys (next lowest price)

Well, thought I had more than this in my favorites.  I usually buy mine at the local Richmond, VA Gun Shows for $12 each (used to be $10).

Contact VAshooter, he has a source for brand new slings from someone he does business with.  They also sell them in the Appleseed store.

Tough to beat a good cotton or nylon GI sling.  I've got leather slings on a couple WW1 rifles and I guess I'm lazy enough that the leather slings are just too much trouble for me to fool with.  I can use them, its just not as quick/slick as the web sling (for me).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

DeanC

I do have one of those leather slings on one of my rifles and once you get it rigged right, it is real nice. It cinches up real tight. I found it in the bargain box at a local gun store near closing time and the owner just gave it to me. He said it was easier than ringing it up.

vernic82

CDNN
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

or GPC (aka Numrich) 
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

are the most consistent sources I've found for GI Web Slings.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

Whisker

Hey all who ordered some, I got the slings.

Unfortunately, they are rusty.  Some very rusty.  But, they work.  They sold them to me for $6.50 each, plus $23 for shipping.  Let me know how you want to retrieve them. 

Aftermath- I got your request late, but I still have some extras for you.
Dean- I think you wanted a couple, I'll bring some to Elk River. 

Everyone else, I lost the document that said how many your ordered.  Let me know.

SamD

Actually I have found those rusty sling packs to be a bargain.
Out of a dozen three are totally unservicable.

Strip the hardware from them to make the narrow clips to put on rifles with 1" swivel bows.
The others cleaned up real well.
Tie them in an old pant leg and pitch in the washer. clean up just fine.

javaguy

Quote from: Whisker on April 13, 2010, 01:02:20 PM
Hey all who ordered some, I got the slings.

Unfortunately, they are rusty.  Some very rusty.  But, they work.  They sold them to me for $6.50 each, plus $23 for shipping.  Let me know how you want to retrieve them. 

Aftermath- I got your request late, but I still have some extras for you.
Dean- I think you wanted a couple, I'll bring some to Elk River. 

Everyone else, I lost the document that said how many your ordered.  Let me know.

I am in for 2!  We'll put em to use - thanks!

FiremanEd

Remember the Appleseed store has brand new, current USGI, in stock.  I think they're getting $12, brand spanking new.
Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

AFTERMATH

Quote from: FiremanEd on April 13, 2010, 06:29:29 PM
Remember the Appleseed store has brand new, current USGI, in stock.  I think they're getting $12, brand spanking new.
Real nice too!  Proceeds go to the RWVA! Win-win!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Whisker

Remember all who ordered some-  I leave Minnesota by the end of May!  Schedule a time for pick up.  PM me, please. 

Buzzworth

No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

DeanC

Quote from: Whisker on April 13, 2010, 01:02:20 PMDean- I think you wanted a couple, I'll bring some to Elk River. 
Sounds good!

tc95gt

I was down for 3. Just bring them to Elk River.

Greg

DeanC

Quote from: DeanC on April 15, 2010, 12:11:15 AM
Quote from: Whisker on April 13, 2010, 01:02:20 PMDean- I think you wanted a couple, I'll bring some to Elk River. 
Sounds good!
I never picked these up from you. Do you still have them/want to get rid of them?

Whisker

So I got the slings and they are crappy!  I'm returning them.  Sorry for the let down.