News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

We DO have a new range

Started by douglas34474, March 25, 2010, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas34474

Just got back from a recon of the range I wrote about. Owner's have a Host Application to fill out, but we have a commitment for the range.  ^:)^

This site is North of Ocala about 20 miles and a little East of SR 441, off CR 316.

There is about 200 feet of berm with a open area back about 100 yards in front of the berm. The firing line is open, so like the Bradford Sportsman Farm, we will have to bring our own shade. The 'office' area is under some large oaks that will provide relief from the sun.

We will have exclusive use of the property, including camping. There are no hook ups, but RV and tent camping is available. PortaJon is there of course, no showers, etc. It is primitive camping.

The area is surrounded by water and the kids can fish if they want. The property next to it has a bison herd for our amusement. It will be like a mini summer camp with an Appleseed in the middle.

Range fee would be $25 per shooter, per day, but we have the property all to ourselves. There is no extra charge for camping on site.

We can have the range any of the first three weekends in May, all we have to do is let them know. So let me know which weekend works for everybody and I will set it up.

The hosts, Richard Gertlar and William Wise, run Professional Firearms Training School on this range. They offer a host of NRA courses and Tactical training in pistol, shotgun, rifle, home defense, street survival and unarmed combat. They would like to present a demo of what they teach after our days event for any that are interested.  8)

I'm sure I missed something, so if I did just ask.

Directions to the place are; from I-75 exit to US Hwy 27 East. Head East to US Hwy 441 North, turning left on 441. Go North about 1 mile to Hwy 200A and turn right on 200A. Continue North on 200A for about 10 miles. You go through Anthony and Sparr to CR 316 East. Turn right on CR 316 East and go to NE 35th Avenue Road and turn left. This is a dirt road. Follow it through a couple of 'S' curves and the range is on the right, may be three miles.

PHenry

Douglas,
That's great news sir - nicely done. I was hoping to get an instructor KD clinic going in Ft. Myers in that same date range, but we will see how it all works out.

Again, great news - sounds like this facility is well suited to our needs. 200' of berm means 50 shooters and 100 yards is good enough.

Many thanks and kudos to you for your efforts,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

douglas34474

As we have three weekends open to us at the Ocala range, just let me know when your KD is scheduled and I'm sure they will work with us so as not to be in conflict with it.  O0

ItsanSKS

We need the dates for both squared away ASAP, so I can get the EIP and Event Fliers done up.  At your earliest convenience, please 'set in stone' a date.  First-come,first-served.

Don't wait- do it now!

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

douglas34474

I give the call to PHenry. He has been involved in planning his event and this range has just come on the horizon. Any open date works.

PHenry

I will call Maxie (Ft. Myers) ASAP and see what date he wants, then get back to you, so that you can set up this new range / dates.
Thanks,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

douglas34474

Just to stir up the mud. Spoke with the Mailman and he said that that shoot will be scheduled for one on the first weekends in May also.

So itlooks like we have three events we need to get together on.

ItsanSKS

yeehhaaw!   

Month of May is looking to be chock full of Appleseeds!

I'll give each of you a call to coordinate.  We need to get the dates hammered out ASAP, so that we can each start promotions efforts.

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

douglas34474

We need to get off the pot here. The Gwin property is scheduled for May 15 & 16.

PHenry is trying to set up a KD shoot at some point.

I need to get the Hosts a date for the Citra shoot. We have either the 8th & 9th or the 22nd & 23rd. Give me something.

PHenry

Off the pot we are.  O0

Just spoke to "Maxie" - he's in for May 1/2 for an IBC on his property. Tentative fee of $100 per person for both days and all u can eat gourmet chow both days - camping included. He has a 25M range and another that runs to 800. Who's in? I need to confirm with him in terms of numbers, but he's ready to host us if we want to do another KD clinic.

Lemme know,
PH

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

PHenry

That makes 2. Who else is up for some of the best shooting and food Florida has to offer? This range is the nexus of the Florida chapter of Appleseeds. The owner of the property read about Appleseeds and contacted Fred offering his land. He built a range just for us and puts on a very unique event. I mean what other venue - public or private offers coconut shrimp and aged beef for lunch?  8)

ItsanSKS

I imagine that I am included in that "2"... But in case not, please consider my virtual hand to be raised.

douglas34474

Contacted the Citra range to see if the schedule can be shifted to not conflict with the KD down south.

Rescheduled the event for the 8th & 9th of April. With the Gwin event we have two AS coming to Marion County.  ;)

Picking up the Host Application this afternoon and will fax to PHenry.

echodog

Echodog and Liberys Daughter are In

BrownBess

BrownBess and Willorith are also on the books to be there.....

PHenry

Roger all. This makes us 7 so far. May want to let them GA boys know, as they had wanted to come to last one.
PH

ItsanSKS

Good Idea PHenry-  Consider it done.

RickB

I'm in for May 1 & 2.
Today is the first time I've been on the FL board this month!
RickB

douglas34474

I was suppose to have the Host application in hand last week. I've called the range owner, he knows I can't do anything till I have the application in hand. Talked to him Monday and was told he is too busy to get it done so I can pick it up.

As it stands now, we only have one month to promote the event. Do I push it back till June or July?

We already have the Silver Springs event in May.

Somebody give me some direction here.

ItsanSKS

In all reality, we need at least 6 (and 8 is better)  weeks of promotion to get any kind of turnout at all.  That's also assuming that we get good local promotion- fliers in all local stores etc.

If we don't hear from him by Fri, work out a date in June/July.  We'll have to secure cover, but whats a little heat and humidity? 

PHenry

To All:
May be a hiccup in the KD clinic plan. Just got word today that none of the Ft. Myers crew (the original Florida core of instructors, now inactive for most intents and purposes) cannot make the May 1 / 2 dates, owing to the Ft. Myers gun show (one of them is a C3 dealer and the rest will be assisting him at the show). As their presence was one of the motivating factors for this event (in an attempt to re-energize that old crew), I am loathe to hold it without them there. They are also close personal friends of land owner and I am sure he would prefer to see them attend as well.

So - I am currently awaiting a list of dates that the old Ft. Myers crew can make to see if we can reschedule this event when we can all make it. Let the tomato throwing begin - mea culpa.  :'( Well, actually it's not my fault, as I were denied this need to know info, but I'll take the heat just the same.  :wb:

PH

PHenry

Good news / Bad news:

Bad news -  Ft. Myers KD Clinic for May 1 / 2 is canceled.  :'(

Good news - Ft. Myers KD Clinic for May 8 / 9 is a go!  ^:)^

Sorry for inconvenience. Now, where were we? Who can make the May 8 / 9 date instead of the May 1 / 2 date? Let's get this rolling and make it happen (again). I will send out Emails to all that I have as well.

Thanks,
PH

willorith

Parramore knot, consisting of BB and Willorith will be there with Queen Latifah.
We are but human.

ThaiFighter

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

RickB

Unfortunately I have a previous out-of-town commitment that weekend.  Have fun, Ladies and Gentlemen!
RickB

panhead

Quote from: PHenry on April 09, 2010, 06:51:11 PM
Good news / Bad news:

Bad news -  Ft. Myers KD Clinic for May 1 / 2 is canceled.  :'(

Good news - Ft. Myers KD Clinic for May 8 / 9 is a go!  ^:)^

Sorry for inconvenience. Now, where were we? Who can make the May 8 / 9 date instead of the May 1 / 2 date? Let's get this rolling and make it happen (again). I will send out Emails to all that I have as well.

Thanks,
PH

howdy

PM sent. I would love to play the 8/9. Here's the rub.

I am in need of a ride if possible, Ft. Myers will take all the tread I have left on my tires, but I can willingly split gas. I haven't camped since before most of you were born, but I can give it a shot. Will it be a "blazing saddles" type campfire   $$-0

Most importantly, I also need to be back north of the Skyway before 8 if possible Sunday. I have exams monday, wednesday and thursday (this week and next) and will have to jam as much learnin in as I can before the KD shoot. Sometime it all hits at once...

oh yeah, I am near US 19 & 52

But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

ThaiFighter

you have a ride my friend...

I look forward to your company on the trip!

-GBS

panhead

thank you Mr. Coyote   O0

I will contact you soon. PM forthcoming
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

douglas34474

I'm just not going to be able to swing the KD event.  :-\

However, I do have the Host Application for the Sparr, FL range in hand. Just need to list hotels around the area, etc. Will get it to ItsanSKS this weekend at St. Augustine.