News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

North Little Rock, AR; January 16-17, 2010

Started by dond, January 20, 2010, 05:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

What a superb facility this is! It boasts a large classroom and several different ranges, including 1000 meters. A most accommodating management team made our first visit a real pleasure. They are eagerly awaiting one on April 17-18, and are anxious for even more Appleseeds. 

Saturday began rather cool. Saturday afternoon was cold and rainy  !@#). But the 18 shooters were a hardy bunch. Sunday was warmer, with sun, but it had rained all night which made the puddles on the firing line deeper than before. However, the shooters didn't hesitate to dive in and soak themselves in tradition and water  ^:)^. Someone commented that the shooting lessons were $70 for the weekend, but the swimming lessons were free. This was the first Appleseed for 14 of the shooters. Everyone was especially well behaved, and there were no safety issues. There were some father-son participants, as well as one entire family. Smle and the brand new IIT father-son team of dart67 and gunner09 furnished top-notch assistance. Smle performed a fine rendition of Dangerous Old Men at lunch the second day.

Three Riflemen scores were obtained. Two of these were repeats from earlier Appleseeds. And young Peter, an experienced shooter who had just turned 10, scored 201. Just wait until next time. We may have a father and two sons IIT team. Peter and young Myles, are now proud owners of the new youth patches.

Two of the Riflemen moved to the 1000 meter range Sunday afternoon with their ARs and discovered that what worked at 25 meters also worked at known distance, and that their sight settings at 25 meters were the same as at 300 meters. They even tried 900 meters. One of them struck that target once, but they couldn't determine which one, since they both shot, inadvertently, at the same target.  ::) They gladly shared this information with the rest of the shooters.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Gatorgulch

My Appleseed Experience

By Gatorgulch

Appleseed Jan. 16-17 North LittleRock

It's been over 20 years since I worked on accurate shooting with and a sling on a rifle.  For quite some time, most of my shooting experiences have been shot off a bench or rest in an indoor range, an occasional deer or squirrel hunt, or evil paper plates at 100 yards, and it really showed this weekend.  Time will take a toll on a body, whether we want to admit it or not, and the targets and scores don't lie.  My hat is off to those who earned their patch this past weekend, it is a great achievement.   I was not able to earn a patch this weekend, but with a little work, I will at the next shoot.  For me, it is a realization that I am getting older, and am not able to do the things I used to be able to do.  Not that I can't do it, it's just going to take some practice, and an Appleseed shoot is a great place to do it.  Not only practicing your accuracy, but also a chance to get out the guns and gear and see what really does work, and what does not.  Take your stuff to an indoor range, and chance are that it's going to work.  Take yourself out to a firing line in the dirt, grass and water, and one can start to really see the things that are durable and those things that are not.

The Appleseed shoot was at the DARC1 facility in North LittleRock.  The DARC1 facility had everything a shooter needed, including a great host and hostess that participated and took the time to answer questions and make us all feel welcome.  While we were only on a part of the facility,  I could tell that there was a lot of learning of all types that goes on there.  I would gladly drive the 4 hours again to another class, or any other type of class that is offered to civilians.  That place was cool!

The instructors for the event were also a very good and important part of the experience.  Our green hat shoot boss was a man who was very soft spoken and the words he used were very distilled and concise, the same as his shooting.  In this day and age of blah, blah, blah, fact, blah, blah, blah, opinion, blah, blah, blah news reporting and marketing, it was refreshing to hear about the details of the people in the Revolution told to us by someone, whom one could tell, understood their struggle and sacrifice.  Not to be outdone, his wonderful wife was a model of efficiency in all areas of the administrative part of the program, having all of our paperwork, information, and handouts ready to go when we got there.  She was quick to answer all questions, and a joy to talk with as well.

Our red hat firing line boss was quite a character as well.  A good instructor will have a mix of approaches to getting people to do what needs to be done.  There are some areas, such as safety, where there is no room for error, and then there are other areas where it takes a little character for the right results.   Most of us that came out to the Appleseed are not in the military, and good coaching of people takes on more of an adaptive approach.  So it was with our instructor, whom seemed to have a fiery retort to most things and people on the line.  There was also a great approach to improving people's accuracy while balancing it out with an overall good experience and fun time.

Our assistant instructors were very diligent at helping keep the line safe, and even more at helping people work on their skills.  One loaned me a loop sling, and really took the time to show the benefits of it.  I bought one at the event, and plan on ordering another couple this week.  Also, I never really understood the benefit of the quick detach swivel, but now they are going on everything.

My fellow participants were people of good character.  One of the questions I had was "what kind of a person comes out to an Appleseed shoot?".  Well, as it turns out, they are people from all parts and walks of life.  Some were local, and some had traveled in from different states.  Just regular guys and gals who want to improve their accuracy, and learn a little more about out history.  I really enjoyed the conversations at lunch and on the breaks on the firing line.

Overall, I had a great time and learned much.  While I did pick out a spot in the line which seemed to get more than it's share of rain and water, I think it just added to the experience.  I remember one time on the first day when the water started to run down my leg, into my boots, and soak everything around me.  Not just standing water, but the 45 degree, give a shiver down your spine stuff.   I started to get a little frustrated by it.  However, it was right after our lunch and instructor's talk on Lexington and Concord.  How these men and women had left the comfortable lives that they had, taken up the struggle, and some had not returned.  Who was I to get concerned about my conditions, in comparison to what others had done?  I felt very selfish and childish at my thoughts.  Nothing like putting things in perspective.  I then proceeded to spend the rest of the time on the line soaked to the bone, a little on the cold side, but very happy in the knowledge that it was nothing in comparison to those whom had proceeded me on the line.

Thanks to all that made this happen, and I look forward to seeing everyone again and meeting more new folks.

Thanks,
Jim

dart67eb

Yippee!  I made it through my first appleseed as an IIT and didn't do anything stupid enough to get anybody hurt.  For this, I have to thank dond and SMLE who were both excellent trainers.   

The facility was unbelieveable.  This is where the REAL special ops folks train.  Shoot houses, mini-cities, busses, cars, even a DC-9.  The owners were real professionals and extremely helpful in meeting all of our needs.  I didn't think anybody could watch more Military Channel than we do at our house, but I have to admit, even I couldn't keep up with some of the terminology the owner was using during my conversations with him.  And I'm a 10yr Army vet!  These guys are real pros.  Their website is http://www.darc1.com.  Check it out!

Anyone who looked at the weekend's weather knew we weren't in for clear, blue and 72.  The rain started at 12:40 on Saturday and by the end of the day, pretty much everyone was cold and wet.  I think I added to their misery by recommending that they don't wear a glove on their trigger finger so I can look for dragging wood.  Sunday dawned clear over 'Lake North Little Rock' and the intrepid shooters laid down their tarps and mats.  Continued...
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

dart67eb

Someone said that some of the mats were really 'Sham-Wows' and another said that they were now 'SEAL qualified'!  You get the idea, but shoot we did.  The owners even said they will build up the firing line area so we don't see the 'lake effect' any more.  Talk about accommodating!

I was impressed with the level of commitment by the attendees.  Although we didn't see a lot of new riflemen, everyone improved.  I was especially pleased to see the youngsters doing well.  Colton (I think that was his name), on the far left, shot a 170 without a sling.  Peter and another young man actually won 'Parker's Revenge' (remember what you voted for!) and Pete cleaned the redcoats Sunday afternoon.  In all fairness, this is Pete's fourth appleseed but the first that he's used anything but a single shot Crickett rifle.  He'll knock out rifleman next time and he's already asked me about an orange hat.  I told him that he has to fill out the proficiency checks and read the instructors guide.  Hmmm...  A 10 year old IIT?  We'll have to think about that one.

Continued...

dart67eb

Some of the older participants found out their bodies didn't work as advertised but neither does mine.  The young ladies on the left side progressed well with their AR's and the teenage boys had fun shooting AR's, Mosins and SKS's.  

I think everyone learned the value of proper position, sling use, and the six steps to firing a shot.  I'm sure that with increased familiarity with their weapons, and dry firing the AQT, we'll see more riflemen next time.  I also know eveyone walked away with a better understanding of, and appreciation for what was given to us on April 19, 1775.

I can't end without thanking the other IIT, gunner09, for his help and professionalism.  It makes a father proud.

In short, I had a blast and I hope to see everyone back there in April.

Oh, yeah... Pictures!

dart67eb

More pics.

dart67eb

And more pics.....  Sorry if I didn't get everyone.  I'll try to do better next time!

Gunner09

Great Appleseed! I loved the facilities, our hosts, and the shooters themselves. As a brand-new IIT, I had plenty to learn. I was guided down the right path by dond and SMLE, and, in turn, I passed on my shooting knowledge to those who attended. Our hosts were great and catered to our every need. I hope that they got much out of the program. I was glad to instruct our shooters. All of them were open-minded and took my advice to heart and mind. And so I believe they improved and will return. The rain was a bit of a downer, and 45 degrees isn't exactly the Memphis weather that I am used to. But these conditions sure didn't stop the shooters, and they didn't stop me. I am always happy to work with such diligent people.

jnespappa

Heartfelt thanks to all our instructors and support (DonD's wife) and to our host site owner, Mr. R.  Very kind to waive the range fees and to have his family on the line with us.  My shooting improved 8 points over my previous high, and I settled in to a fairly consistent score.  Now to bump it up a little bit.  I will accept an offer to lend a hand at my next AS in Louisiana as an IIT.  Yay!  Thanks Grandpa SMLE. 

I was cold, wet and shivering on Sat. but as Jim said, how could I complain, compared to what was sacrificed for me on April 19, 1775?  We all persisted, together.  DonD was an inspiration, getting into and out of position to demonstrate the various positions for us.    There were so many times over the weekend where you could hear a pin drop as we listened to Don and SMLE talk about our history. 

Dart67eb, thanks for sharing your family, time and experience with us.  Gunner, you are quite an exceptional young man.  Knowledgeable, confident and an excellent teacher.  Peter showed relentless persistence, and my own 14 yr old is inspired by Peter's score (201 BABY!!)

Lake DARC  ;D

Eastern shore of Lake DARC

A Mosin what?  Ka BANG!!

MASTER Sgt. C

LTR's on the line.  MAN those shoulder silhouettes look tiny at 25m

A good showing of ARs on the line

dart67eb

Looking at the pics, there are a whole lot of mats not at 30 degrees.  On some of our riflemen, too!  Gotta work on that.

dond

I cautioned them about that. Even told them that if they didn't turn their mats at 30 degrees they would get their knees wetter while obtaining their NPOA. Some listened.  :wb:

Also, as I mentioned earlier, three shooters made their Rifleman Scores. One of these, from Arkansas, accepted the Orange Hat. Another, from Arkansas, could not at this time, but will proceed with the 7th step for us and recruit all he can. The third one will accept an Orange Hat, but wants to do so at the very next AS in his home state of Louisiana. Alonzo1 will crown him at the beginning of this AS. Louisiana is getting a good one here and is well on the way to self-sufficiency.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Greg in MO

Quote from: Gatorgulch on January 20, 2010, 06:19:19 PM
Overall, I had a great time and learned much.  While I did pick out a spot in the line which seemed to get more than it's share of rain and water, I think it just added to the experience.  I remember one time on the first day when the water started to run down my leg, into my boots, and soak everything around me.  Not just standing water, but the 45 degree, give a shiver down your spine stuff.   I started to get a little frustrated by it.  However, it was right after our lunch and instructor's talk on Lexington and Concord.  How these men and women had left the comfortable lives that they had, taken up the struggle, and some had not returned.  Who was I to get concerned about my conditions, in comparison to what others had done?  I felt very selfish and childish at my thoughts.  Nothing like putting things in perspective.  I then proceeded to spend the rest of the time on the line soaked to the bone, a little on the cold side, but very happy in the knowledge that it was nothing in comparison to those whom had proceeded me on the line.

Gator,

Excellent writeup.  Congratulations!  You have been to your first Appleseed and already you "get it".  Well done, sir!  I hope we can see you on the line here in MO sometime.

Greg

dart67eb

Folks,
I posted some of the pics on the young adults pic page.  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11179.0  Western Rose asked if any of you young adults would be so kind as to post a few lines in her section.  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11133.0  Thanks.

That One Guy

Describing my experience at my second appleseed in North Little Rock, AR: wet, fun, and helpful. I somehow knew that it was a bad sign when it started sprinkling at around 12:30. Sure enough, it rained all day Saturday. Sunday, we woke up to blue skies; however, it was still wet and muddy everywhere, but that didn't stop us! The facilites, wet though they were, were very accommodating. The instructers (I don't remember what they said their forum names were!) were very helpful and gave very high quality instruction. This being my second appleseed, i thought i could shoot above a 200 on the AQT. However, I only shot a 171 on my best. Hoping for a rifleman next time! Also, I decided that my dad might have a fun time at an appleseed since i had gone with friends to my first appleseed. He described himself as "a fair-weather shooter" and we will leave it at that. I'm looking forward to the next one in April!
"In tranquillo esse quisque gubernator potest."- Publius Syrus
(translation)"Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm"

smle

Sorry about being late on this, been playing catch up all week.

Aside from the rain on Sat. it was really nice weekend. Starting out with a cleared redcoat first thing. Reconfirmation of Rifleman scores, one new Rifleman, quite a few AQTs and finishing up with a cleared redcoat. Three redcoats cleared by three different shooters. I'm impressed. Has that ever happened before?

Richard and company were great hosts, the kids of which there were several, were absolutely great.
The DARC is a excellent facility. We were provided with a dedicated q-hut for the weekend, just everything we needed was there at the request.

For those of you who missed this, your loss.

See everyone there in April.

smle
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

ErikAnderson

April is just around the corner for another North Little Rock (NLR) Appleseed @ DARC1! :)

Head on over here and sound off!

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12357.0

:--- ^:)^