News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

My Appleseed Trail

Started by Western Rose, January 05, 2010, 11:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Rose

Requirements to post? You've attended an Appleseed shoot as someone under the age of 21.

First off, forget that your being called a kid... ;D

In this thread please answer as many of the following questions as you can. What did YOU expect at your first Appleseed Shoot, what did you discover (about yourself and about your country), how did you first come to Appleseed, when did you start shooting, what is your experience at Appleseed shoot/s...the list can go on but I shall stop there and you may fill in anything that I didn't cover. If your an instructor feel free to write about your experience instructing. Don't worry about length or the lack there of.

I am looking forward to reading your stories. :cool2:  

Thanks,
WR
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Western Rose

Update: Here is an interview of my story

My Dad asked one of my brothers and me if we wanted to go shoot with him for a weekend. It sounded great so we both said, "YES!" It's not EVERY weekend that your Dad makes that kind of offer! I was told that we would be shooting most of the day for two days in a row and that we'd be learning some ways to shoot better. I didn't have any expectations on what that be like as I'd never been taught how to shoot by anyone but my Dad. I got a LOT more than I expected. O0
   I don't remember much of that first shoot. What I do remember is that I actually enjoyed a weekend out on the range with a bunch of people I had never met before; none of them anywhere close to my age, excepting my brother, and no other girls/women. I remember that the instructors were great and both teased and helped me a lot, not to mention making me feel right at home. I also remember hearing some history that I'd never heard before, the history of how this country that I am growing up in began. I was 12 but I can still remember that.
   At my second Appleseed, I knew a little bit more of what to expect. But, yet again, I got a lot more than I expected. I was able to retain more of the history and information that I was hearing for the second time. I got to meet more people and there was another girl on the line!! I also had rifle malfunctions. Two pieces actually broke in my .22 and I ended up shooting our "spare" rifle, one that I'd never shot before, during part of Sunday. 
   My third shoot was very much the same except that I got to meet my FIRST female Instructor and there were several girls and people my age as shooters!! Again I got to meet Instructors and shooters that I'd never met before. I also got to see Believer (from my first shoot) again. This time I was only able to shoot for one day as we had to drive back home the next. And this was the first time I'd ever gone to a shoot that was in a different state, WA, than the one I live in, Idaho.
   My fourth and last shoot, so far, as a shooter, was different in some ways than my previous three. There were no familiar faces amongst the instructors or the shooters, except for my Dad and Mom. I got to learn yet another way of using a tube-fed rifle on an Appleseed line. I got to hear the history and it stuck even more. This was also the shoot that I finally shot my Rifleman score at. I think that the only thing I did differently was that I didn't worry about what score I was shooting, taking it one shot at a time, and since I wasn't worried I was relaxed...
   Since then I have gotten on the forum and become an instructor. I have instructed at four shoots so far. Each has been unique in its own way. I had two goals before the end of 2009, 1. to be given my red hat by this guy named Earl and 2. to become a full Red Hat instructor before my 17th birthday. I managed to achieve both with the help of every Instructor in Training, Instructor, Shoot Boss, Senior Instructor, and Master Instructor from my first shoot up until now, as well as some people that I've never meet before but have "worked" with online and my family's support.
   Appleseed has become a family event for us. I do have to say that I've enjoyed every shoot as a shooter, and now I've enjoyed every shoot I've gone to as an Instructor. I was privileged to be able to hand my Mom her Rifleman badge, watch my little brother receive his Rifleman badge from my Dad, watch them both accept the orange hat of an Instructor in Training, see my only sister go from "I'm never going to go to one of those shoots" to "I can't wait to be an Instructor! I love it!" and you can't forget that she ACED Stage 2 of the AQT (!!) and hear my oldest brother say, "Dang... I'd better get with the program..." when he heard how much fun we are having. And for any of you who are wondering, yes, I am homeschooled.

To everyone from the newest IIT to the oldest MI, thank you. Specifically, I'd like to thank a few of people who have really helped me: my family, SavageShootr, Believer, Earl, Hawkhavn, PaRah, RL, tdow, Wheeler44, OLD GEEZER, Deu1118, Cedarpole, Ishy, Goldfish, Johnny, panhead, Nurse Ratchett, Clodhopper, BEEMER, Boba Fett, MeanStreaker, LayloPro, Funfaler, PHenry, the whole Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington Instructor Corps, and many, many, many more. You all have encouraged and inspired me... Helped me learn and grow... All more than you will ever know... I will never forget that and I know that I will never be able to thank you enough.

"Actually, I don't like writing at all, but saving America is too great a cause to not participate in because of excuses." ~ GoldFish :cool2:
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Fred

That's a great story, but actually, Western Rose is WAY too modest.

Why, just in the first shoot she was at (the one I was at), she learned a technique of using "shade" to cure "dragging wood". Maybe she'd like to share that with us.

She was also asked to help some burly guys from AZ figure out why they came so many miles to Idaho, dragging those big clunker battle rifles with them. Even I never heard how that story turned out. Sure would like to know. Care to help us out, WR? (Technically, this would have been your first instructional experience, no? :) )

Not last, I seem to remember when we did the long-range stuff, WR was there with that .22 rimfire - did you make it all the way out to 300 yards? Weren't you still in charge of the "battle rifle boys of AZ"? And weren't you still outshooting them - at 300 yards - with your .22 rimfire?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Fred

Now, thinking on it, I remember you being singled out at the benediction and being asked to "step forward" for special recognition - but for the life of me (gettin old!) I can't remember "what for".

Can you also enlighten us on that point? ^:)^
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

GunslingerGirl

Oh, this is going to be another CRAZY LONG story, like Leslie's... Well, first of all, I'm Becky, I'm 17 at the moment, and my dad, my sister, and I all love the Appleseed program.
    My first Appleseed was the July 3-4th one at Castle Rock. I had heard about the program from my dad (actineon) as he was looking for something to help my sister's aim as she was going to join ROTC the following year. He said that the program was for teaching everyone, even random people like me, and that I could probably improve my aim as well. (Also, it was free for me :)) I hunt a lot as well, and I decided to go hoping that it could help me improve.
    I live in Spokane, so Castle Rock is about a 6 hour drive from my house  :o. We left the day before the 34rd, hoping to get to the hotel at a reasonable time so we could get some sleep. We got there very very late that night, I believe sometime around 12:30, and went straight to bed. Luckily, I did not imagine how taxing the next day would be.
    I remember a lot of things about that shoot, most of them good. I remember it was very very hot, mostly. But also, I remember random little things-- I was up on a small hill and had a lot of fun running down it XD I remember getting branded in the arm, my sister getting hit in the face with another empty cartridge, shooting at the star was really fun, and so on... Believe it or not, I really love my little cardridge scar. It's in the exact shape of one, and I can show it off to everyone now  8)
    I was semi close to rifleman, getting scores in the 190s, but never made it. I was so dissapointed, and my family and I made a bet to see who could get rifleman first. I had the top score, my dad was in a close second, and my sister Ruthie was a close third.
    We went again to a shoot in Garfield. It was much closer, and I was able to get a family friend to come. I was only able to go for one day, but it was still fun. I have to admit, my second shoot was a lot of fun, too, just because of how I already knew what was going to happen. I also was able to appreciate the history better, as I wasn't so tired I was close to collapsing O.o
    I got a 208 as my highest score, but by accident I was given a patch. It's okay, it just made me want all the more to get it! My dad was making fun of me because I almost got a bucket of water on my head (from almost getting a 210... o3o)
     Then my thrid shoot was in Cour D'Alene. THAT was the shoot that I finally made rifleman. My sister Ruthie, unfortunately, was in college then and couldn't go, but my dad and I made rifleman on I think almost the same line of fire! So much for completing... Then hawkhaven asked my dad and I if we wanted to become instructors! I was excited. I didn't know that we could XD. My dad and I both signed up, and it was a blast.
     It's hard work, but I love what I learn from this program. I can help America by teaching begginers how to shoot, while I also learn more about a safe rifle, more about teaching, making new friends and aquaintances, about making speaches in front of a group of people (which is much harder that it looks...) and more about our country's history. That has been my experience with the Appleseed program. Oh, and here's an Indiana Jones smiley for your enjoyment.  ~~:)

Thanks for reading that... See you at the next shoot!

Becky  ^:)^

The Guy

Well, I for one remember Fred talking about "Leslie, Girl Queen of the West" prior to (and after, and during, and whenever he can) and having you walk away with those big boys admonishing them to do well so you didn't look bad in front of Fred.

One of his favorite stories....

We are truely blessed here at Appleseed, where you can travel to any state and already have friends waiting, even if you have never met them before.

Thanks Fred!

Guy

BTW, Seeing a youth "get it" is just so much more rewarding than anything else.  My first instructional experience was with a 5 year old named Lucas after my first RBC.  Or working with Johnny in KY, or even Wetfoot in IL.  Seing them get better and turn from kids to young adults before my eyes is awe inspiring indeed.

Butt Stock

Hey sorry I have not had time to wright this till now.

I remember my first Appleseed it was in Aug. at Gibsonburg the temperature. was very hot. I did not make my rifleman till 4 or 5 Appleseed. The first Appleseed I went to I have to say I was a person that thought I knew it all but I did not. I look back and I see I should have. I would be a lot better at shooting but I got to say no one can just pick up a rifle and shoot a 210 or higher on a AQT there first time.

I remembered the week of the shoot I was saying I was goanna go there and get my patch. But when I got there I realised that I was wrong and it took a lot more then just saying. It takes doing it too and showing you want it. The day of the shoot i got up early and all even tho I live 10 mins. away I don't know why but I did. When I got at the range I met a couple people the first one was Posterboy then it was Slim and the rest of the crew that was working the shoot.

Posterboy when I called him for the first time to say that I wanted to shoot in the appleseed he asked my age and I told him he said "cool that i was more then welcome to come". We talked for a little bit longer and all he got to know me more and asked me how long I have been shooting. Then I acutely meet him at the shoot and he greeted me and my step dad with a look on his face that was so nice for once too see. He got me all set up on the line and ready to shoot.

Slim I met him for the first time ever at the shoot I shook his hand and he asked a few questions about me and what I do in my spare time. I don't remember what I told him but we talked for a while and got to know me more. Then while the first day went by he keep a eye on me and he was seeing what I would do wrong or what i was doing right. It was funny he did not get on me to do it right for some reason he knew I was coming back I guess. But he just got Dinky Dao on me but that was not till the second day.

I had a lot of fun at my first shoot but the second one I remember too but I am saving that for when I am around the camp fire to tell. But I will tell a couple things I meant more people that I liked and I seen Posterboy, Slim, and Dinky Dao there.

I finely got my rifleman at my 5 appleseed. that was with halkhaven as the shoot boss because Dinky could not make it but I remember that it was the first day. I got it was time and all I knew every thing and I could do it i just had to put it together and I did. It was late in the day and I wanted to get it graded so I gave it to one of the red hats that were there and I scored a 208 and halkhaven and slim looked at it and they found more points and I finely came up with a score of 214. When I heard that I was so happy.

I went to a RBC in October this year. We had a lot of fun I meet a couple new people they all taught me some thing new on top of what I knew witch was good. I got a couple new nick names (butt butt, jr.) on top of the few I had already. I got to shoot long distance that was new to me and I liked it a lot. on the way back home I got told I was probably the best on the long range and I like hearing that I don't know why they did not tell me that at the shoot.

Well that is it.
Thanks for reading it.

Butt Stock (jr.)

GoldFish

Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but here is                  
                                                                        "My Appleseed Trail"

My Appleseed experienced started in Athens, OH when our good friends the Richardsons ( RedNekEngr, Ishy, Green Light, Little Bit) invited my family and I to a rifle shoot with them.  I had absolutely no idea what to expect at this rifle shoot and knew next to nothing about it.  However, I love shooting, so I said I would go, and I have never regretted taking that first step.  
   At that first AS, I fell in love with all of the people there, both instructors and fellow shooters.  I discovered that this amazing group of people had a drive and passion for changing our nation in addition to teaching individuals rifle marksmanship.  I wanted this drive and passion too.  I began that drive and passion during the weekend of my first Appleseed.  While I came woefully short of a Rifleman score, (most of my AQT's scored in double digits) I realized that shooting is only a part of Appleseed; as many of you know, early American History is the other major part of these events.  The riveting stories told about the American Revolution captivated me, even though some of them I had already heard.  The ones I hadn't heard fascinated me even more and made me want to come back.  
   I got that chance to go to another Appleseed shoot when some of my family and I went back in September of 2009.  This shoot turned out to be extra special because Ohio's two top coordinators were instructing: Dinky Dao and Mean Streaker.8)  Though this instructor lineup was difficult to beat, it was added to by THE GUY from Illinois!!!  I listened to the history again, and it enthralled me once more.  In addition to the history presented by the instructors, 3 of my good friends, Sukie Dear, Haley, and Ishy also gave speeches on several heroes and aspects of the Revolution.  
   On the very last AQT shot at this particular Appleseed, I scored high enough to receive my Rifleman's patch, and so did my dad.  This feeling is known by many of you that have achieved Rifleman as well.  Shortly after my dad and I had been handed our patches, the Guy summed up this amazing weekend with this quote: "I've been to a lot of Appleseeds, 50 or 60 maybe, but I have to say this one ranks in my top 5."  WOW!  This weekend truly changed my life and signified the beginning of something great.  
   My third and last Appleseed (so far ) began at the same range in Athens, OH on October 31 on a very rainy, windy, and cold Saturday morning.  The Guy came back to instruct and this time to be Shoot Boss! 8)  I didn't shoot that much this whole Appleseed because before the shooting began, I received my orange hat from Slim.  Since it was raining so hard on Saturday morning, the Guy decided to set up a "dry-firing line" under the overhang, while the young IIT's, of which I was now a member of, went inside the clubhouse to conduct a mini-IBC (instructor boot camp) that lasted most of Saturday.  Sunday turned out to be a beautiful day despite the soggy day prior to it.  Of the shooters who participated at this event, my best friend Josiah Sifford, his dad Bob, my 19-year old sister, Cristina, and several others shot a score high enough to obtain Rifleman patches of their own.  
   What a weekend!  This was my first and only Appleseed as an IIT, but it will not be my final shoot by any stretch of the imagination.  Part of the reason I accepted the orange hat is because I believe that the Lord has started me on this trail as an IIT for a purpose.  While I do not comprehend all of the reasons for God placing me on this path, I am resolved to continue on it until He calls me away...hopefully that won't be anytime soon!   Through it all, I want to continue following the Lord Jesus Christ's direction to help effectively walk down this trail, as a Rifleman 4 Him! ;)                      
   So, this brings you up to speed on where I am on my Appleseed Trial.  The next step for me is an IBC in Athens on February 13-15.  After that, the real fun (and work) begins as the Appleseed season kicks off!

---GoldFish
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

ndrifleman

My Appleseed trail began in the winter of 2006.  Deer season had just ended here in northern North Dakota and I was kicking myself for having missed an impressive buck walking past me only 50 yards away.  I googled "rifle marksmanship" and came up with Fredsm14stocks.com, and the information he had posted about the six steps of firing the shot and some basic hints and tips.  From there I learned about the Appleseed program, which at the time was yet in its infancy.  Just after the New Year, I recieved Fred's Guide to Being a Rifleman in the mail with a selection of AQTs and Greencoat targets and immediately started dry firing like crazy.  It happened to be 20 below outside but I went out anyway and shot my first AQT and didn't even qualify. 

From there I just kept learning from the manual and tracking my scores, using a piece of old army paratrooper cord for an improvised sling.  It wasn't until May of 2009 that I attended my first shoot (it was the first one ever in North Dakota, hosted by a friend of mine).  I shot a 216 in the morning of the second day and I was allowed to start calling the line and working as an RSO. 

From there it's pretty much history. I took the 7th step and became an orange hat instructor.  I instructed at two more shoots in 2009 and really enjoyed it.  Now I'm working to schedule as many shoot as we can get going for 2010, including an RBC at a local High Power Range.  My brother also took up the Appleseed trail so we're going at it together. 

Just for your information, I'm 18 years old and my brother, "banjoman," is 15.  Homeschooled, as I presume some of the above commenters are.

Hope to see ya'll "out there!"
"Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand. " Psalm 149:6

"The glorious inheritance which our fathers left us we must never betray.We must seize the torch from their hands, and transmit it with increasing brightness to distant generations." James Thornwell

Evenstar

After much cajoling (I'm kind of shy) from my sister (Western Rose), I guess it's my turn to write about my experience at Appleseed.
    I am 14 at the moment, and a homeschooler. Ever since I was little I liked to go out and shoot both rifles and handguns with my dad. But when Dad and my sis first got involved with Appleseed, I wasn't really interested. In fact, I was adamant that I wasn't going to 'just go to a range for two days and shoot'. Even when they became IITs and Dad was set up as the Idaho State Coordinator, I held to that.
    It all started at the Lewiston, ID August 15-16, 2009 shoot. My mom and brother were shooting at that one, and my sister and dad were instructing. I would normally go spend the weekend at a friend's house, but this time Dad said that I was going and I was to bring the camera (I'm an 'aspiring photographer'  ^-^ ). I went, reluctantly, prepared to sit around being bored, snapping pictures.
    I met Fred and Earl at that shoot. For the second half of Sunday, Fred gave me a waiver to coach some of the shooters, which, I admitted later, was much more fun than sitting around the rest of the day. Both Fred and Earl tried to get me to call the line, but I wasn't interested.
    But it was the Coeur d'Alene, ID September 12-13, 2009 shoot that really made me decide to get involved with Appleseed. I wasn't going to go to it, except that I came down with that awful swine flu and couldn't go to my friend's house. So at that shoot I met Hawkhavn, Todd, Pah Ra, and RL. (Remind me, guys, if I'm missing someone.) Though they were shooters at the time, I met GunslingerGirl and actineon there. (That was the weekend they both earned the patch and accepted orange hats.)
    I was given permission to coach both days, and I really enjoyed it. The instructors recruited me as the 'official photographer', and I really enjoyed that job. By the end of Sunday, I had completely changed my mind. I was bound and determined to shoot my Rifleman score and become and IIT. I still can't quite figure out what made me change my mind. Possibly it was how much I had enjoyed helping a new shooter become familiar with her rifle and coaching her throughout the first day. I know that I really liked watching the other kids my age enjoying themselves and shooting great scores. I'll probably never really be able to explain it.
    So my latest Appleseed, one that I actually attended as a shooter, was the Lewiston, ID November 28-29, 2009 shoot. I remember it was incredibly cold. It was hard to get into the positions while wearing at least five layers of clothing. New instructors there were XOR, actineon, and GunslingerGirl. Todd, Pah Ra, my sis, and my dad were also there. I might add that all of them were super nice and very helpful. (Thanks for the 'thumb trick' XOR!  O0 ) Though I haven't achieved my Rifleman score, I surprised myself by acing stage 2 of the AQT.
    My next shoot is going to be in Lewiston, ID, the first week of April. I hope to get my Riflemen score there (dry-fire, dry-fire, dry-fire  &) ) and then go on to be an IIT. I really want to instruct at the April 19th weekend shoot in Coeur d'Alene, and join the rest of the four members of my family who are already Instructors or IITs.
    So there's my story, so far, of my experience at Appleseed. Thanks to those of you out there who took the time to read it.  ;)
    Hope to see y'all on the line some day!

~Evenstar
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Lyberty

Well my story started several years ago when my dad (RedNekEngr) was teaching my brother (Green Light) how to handle a shotgun. :---  After several unsuccessful hunts, Dad decided to clean his guns.  Well, every little kid loves to 'help Daddy' clean the guns, so I started to 'help.'  That's when something happened (I can't remember what) and Dad cut his finger badly.  Well that scared me so much that I hated guns/rifles/handguns or anything that had the power to shoot stuff. !@#) When one of our friends (Wildcat) asked us to attend an Appleseed, I quickly said 'no' and said that I would babysat my younger siblings.  Saturday night when they (Dad, Mom, Little Bit, Wildcat, and his wife) all came back, they were saying how much fun they were having and how much they loved the instructors (Guy, Slim, and someone else I forget! sorry!)  They all begged me to come to the next event.  Though I wouldn't admit it to their faces, I was beginning to get interested, but still against it. ::)  It was Sunday that really got me to thinking.  The tee shirts.  I LOVED the tee shirts! ^:)^  Silly, I know, but I told myself "just go once so you can get a tee shirts!"  So, the second AS in Athens, me and my older sister (Ishy) attended the AS.  Dad, had given me some pre-AS instruction, sling tips, and showed me the basics of how to operate a rifle.  WE BOTH FELL IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING!  I didn't shoot rifleman, but I was shooting 170's.  (not bad!)  I attended a Gibsonburg shoot, hoping to get my patch.  I was closer, but not quite there. :'(  My family loved AS, so we started telling friends about it.  One of my deaf friends decided to attend the next Athens shoot.  At this time, I was learning sign language, so I was hoping that at my next AS (in Miamisburg), I would shoot rifleman, receive my orange hat, and be able to instruct/interpret at the next Athens event.  So, in Miamisburg, I shot a rifleman score of 227 on Sunday afternoon, just two AQT's from ending.  I have now instructed three AS and many new riflemen (and women!).  I'm hoping to continue to outshoot Slim at each event (yep, Mr. Red Hat, the Fiji water deal still stands! LOL) ..:.. O0 ..:.. O0 ..:..
"The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation."
2 Samuel 22:47

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."  John F. Kennedy

Niko

I found out about the Appleseed through my Dad.  I didn't really know what it was at first, my Dad told me it was a shooting course.  I like shooting and hunting, so I asked my Dad if he would sign me up for it.  He said he would and I was really excited.  I told my friend Landon about it because he also likes to hunt and shoot.  Landon then called up my Dad and asked how you sign up for it.  My Dad told Landon how to sign up and he did.  Of course my eight year old brother likes to do everything I do, so he asked my Dad if he could go too.  Dad signed him up so brother went also.  My brother also did not have a .22 but my dad had an old one that was his grandfather's gun.
On my first day of the shoot I didn't do so well, neither did Landon or my brother.  Towards the end of the day I was doing better, I was using the skills taught to me and I was shooting better groups.  The next day I was doing great until my firing pin broke.  One of the instructors had an extra rifle and loaned it to me.   The thing I really liked about that gun was the sights.  The sights were similar to the ones used on the M-16.  My dad also liked the sights and first chance he got, he ordered some.  The end of the second day I shot a rifleman's score but, but I was using sandbags and Mr. Damewood said it was good shooting, but it did not count.  Mr. Damewood told me to keep practicing and come back for the next Appleseed shoot. 
I heard there was another Apple seed coming up so I asked Dad to sign me up again.  I had saved up for a new Marlin 795 and those military sights.  Which I bought a couple of days before the shoot.  This time I spent the first day sighting and getting comfortable with the rifle.  The second day I was shooting well and scored a 233, but again I used the sandbags in the prone position.  Mr. Damewood told my Dad to take away the sandbags because I was ready to shoot like a real man.  First time I shot without the sandbags I got a 183, but my Dad told me to stay focus, watch my breathing and squeeze the trigger.  The instructors came around to make sure I was doing well and on the last shot of the day, I didn't think I got rifleman.  My Dad added my scores up and told me that I didn't make it.  He gave the target to Mr. Damewood and a little while later Mr. Damewood told everyone that I had shot Rifleman.  My Dad was playing a trick on me, but I was really happy.  Mr. Damewood gave me my Rifleman patch and an orange hat.  So now I can help with the shooting matches.

SamD

Don't let him fool ya.
Real men use sandbags too sometimes.

Niko knows very much what he is about.

I'm be proud to have him on the range with me any day.

SamD

Still Learnin

My Appleseed Trail
By Patrick (Still Learnin’)

I’m a 12 year-old homeschooler.

Dad (Reformed Redneck), Mom (Tru Tenacity), and my sister (Western Rose) convinced me to go to my first Appleseed shoot. I thought it would be boring so I didn’t want to go at first.
   At my first Appleseed, Lewiston Aug. 15-16, I had a lot of fun. It wasn’t boring at all! In fact, it was really exciting! I was shooting 4 MOA or less by the end of the shoot, but I didn’t make Rifleman because I got flustered when the clock was ticking and I didn’t concentrate. It was defiantly a fire hose of information coming at me all day long.
   I meet Earl and Fred. Earl was really cool and especially helpful. He explains things better than most people. Fred threatened to hit us with a clown bat. But he was nice most of the time. I really liked Dad’s Dangerous Old Men stories. When my sister helped me, what she said was helpful. She was on the other side of the line most of the time though.
   At my second shoot, Sept 12-13, I meet Hawkhavn, RL, tdow, and Pa Rah. I had a tough time at the beginning because I got frustrated since I shot better at my first Appleseed. 196 was my “high” score of the weekend. It was really fun to see Earl again. My sister didn’t have a chance to hit me over the head with a clown bat. I’m sure she wanted to. Pa Rah is really nice and helpful. Hawkhavn was a great Shoot Boss and he had an amazing Course of Fire. RL’s presentation of Inches, Minute, Clicks was helpful. I really liked tdow’s history! I liked WR’s safety rules presentation. It was really good.
   My third shoot, Nov. 28-29, was my last shoot as a shooter so far. I got to meet XOR, actineon, and GunslingerGirl. I was really frustrated a few times through out the day until Leslie brought me my target that said 202. Later that day I shot a 208 and then a 216. I got my Rifleman patch from Dad and my orange hat from Pa Rah. I really liked tdow’s history again. GunslingerGirl did a great job reminding us of our Steady Hold Factors. XOR and actineon’s voices are really good for calling the line.

I am looking forward to my first Appleseed as an Instructor in Training.
"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." ~ John Adams

Still Learnin, also known as: The King of Lame, Captain Obvious, Cow, Brownie, Squeaky.

willorith

What a remarkable family. I have been continually astonished by the extraordinary posts of Western Rose. Now this delightful young man. Something seriously good is happening in Idaho. We have some work in front of us in Florida to keep up with the Idaho crew.

Through your hard work, Patrick, you have achieved a very high level of skill in riflery. Now you press on to begin transferring that knowledge and skill to others. I know that there are dozens or even hundreds of Appleseed families across the country duplicating the efforts of your family. Imagine the huge effect those families will have on this country as the young people mature into citizens that take their responsibilities seriously, very seriously. You will not casually discount the sacrifice made by Captain Isaac Davis. It will burn in your heart throughout your life. A beacon guiding you on the path of freedom.
We are but human.

Earl

Thank you, Patrick for your write up, I have always liked reading great things about myself. You are very sharing, and you have mentioned well all those that have helped you along this Appleseed trail. I expect great things of you for our country and future, and I will be proud to work the line with you anywhere any time.

And I do apologize for seemingly being too old to post here, but my soul is still young in Eternity, so maybe Western Rose will forgive me.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Ishy

Hello, I'm Ishy.  I'm 18 years old (as of December 2010  :) ) and I live in Ohio near Athens.  My Appleseed trail began in June 2009 year when my family finally convinced me to attend a shoot.  Until I actually went to the Appleseed, I didn't think shooting was "my thing."  But it turned out that I really enjoyed shooting my 10/22.   :~

I have to shoot a little differently than most folks because I have a hip disarticulation (an amputation of my entire leg).  In the standing position I prop up my right hip with my crutch, in sitting I prop my left knee with a sandbag (where my right foot would normally support), and in prone I just lie on my stomach as normal.    :)  Despite my "challenges," I managed to score rifleman at my first Appleseed with an AQT score of 211.  I attended one more Appleseed in Miamisburg in August 2009 before accepting the orange hat in Athens in September.  

In September, 2010 at the glorious Waterman 300 'seed, I was given the red hat by The Guy.  What an honor....   ;)

The Appleseed Trail has been a wonderful experience for me as an amputee as well as my entire family.  It's difficult to find an activity in which all eight of us can participate.  We enjoy learning about our heritage and "spreading the seed" to our fellow citizens.   O0  I didn't know so many homeschoolers were involved in Appleseed!  I am blessed to be educated at home as well.  I hope to meet you "unsocialized homeschoolers" on the trail sometime.   ;)
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

Fred

Great story, Ishy! I, too, hope to meet you on the Appleseed Trail one of these days.

By then, you'll prob be a Red Hat at least - if not a Shoot Boss! :)

Earl, I like that pic of you and RR's family, minus the parents - it's a great pic!

Whootsinator

I also fall under the '21 and below' category. I've wanted to attend an Appleseed for a very long time, but I still have not been able to do so. When I have the funds to afford it, I can't fit it into my schedule, and when I can fit it into my schedule, I can't afford it. Maybe I'll manage to get to one this year... Only two scheduled that I will have any chance to make so far this year.

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Whootsinator on February 05, 2010, 11:55:28 PMI also fall under the '21 and below' category. I've wanted to attend an Appleseed for a very long time, but I still have not been able to do so. When I have the funds to afford it, I can't fit it into my schedule, and when I can fit it into my schedule, I can't afford it. Maybe I'll manage to get to one this year... Only two scheduled that I will have any chance to make so far this year.

What do you need to be able to attend?  Since you're under 21 your admission is free, so that shouldn't be a problem.  Typically there are plenty of loaner rifles made available by the instructors at shoots.  Shooting mats, pads, slings, etc. can be made available as well.  That leaves ammo, range fees (if any), food and travel expenses.

You let your state coordinator and myself know which event you wish to attend and what resources you will need to do so and between the lot of us we'll make it happen.  Appleseed shouldn't be about money, IMO - like Paul Revere, we know how to get things accomplished!

MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Whootsinator

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on February 06, 2010, 11:16:58 AM
Quote from: Whootsinator on February 05, 2010, 11:55:28 PMI also fall under the '21 and below' category. I've wanted to attend an Appleseed for a very long time, but I still have not been able to do so. When I have the funds to afford it, I can't fit it into my schedule, and when I can fit it into my schedule, I can't afford it. Maybe I'll manage to get to one this year... Only two scheduled that I will have any chance to make so far this year.

What do you need to be able to attend?  Since you're under 21 your admission is free, so that shouldn't be a problem.  Typically there are plenty of loaner rifles made available by the instructors at shoots.  Shooting mats, pads, slings, etc. can be made available as well.  That leaves ammo, range fees (if any), food and travel expenses.

You let your state coordinator and myself know which event you wish to attend and what resources you will need to do so and between the lot of us we'll make it happen.  Appleseed shouldn't be about money, IMO - like Paul Revere, we know how to get things accomplished!

MJA

I should have said 'We' can't always afford it when scheduling will work. I know I'm free, but somebody has to bring me along. Money isn't as big a problem as scheduling though. My stepdad has an interesting schedule, working on Sundays and having Friday/Saturday off. I assume your legal guardian has to be there to sign a waiver or some paperwork for minors? I can gather the equipment. I don't have a .22 rifle I'd trust to perform as I would require, but everyone has a .22, I can borrow one from a neighbor if needed.

GoldFish

Yet another great AS trail story, this time by ISHY!!!  You do inspire me, especially at shoots, even though you did shoot rifleman BEFORE I did.  Oh well, just can't beat you in everything all the time.   ;D*LOL* ;D  (just joking)  Seriously though, your circumstances and how you've responded and come through them is something that I greatly respect and have also influenced certain areas of my own life.  Amazing work! ..:..      

C'mon Fred, it's not just me who wants you to come, EVERYBODY in Athens wants you here this upcoming weekend/IBC.  

---GF

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

gunville

Homeschoolers:

You kids have some forums and stuff with other homeschoolers - make sure they know about Appleseed!

This is a great thread!
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Ishy

Quote from: GoldFish on February 06, 2010, 08:56:24 PM
Yet another great AS trail story, this time by ISHY!!!  You do inspire me, especially at shoots, even though you did shoot rifleman BEFORE I did.  Oh well, just can't beat you in everything all the time.   ;D*LOL* ;D  (just joking)  Seriously though, your circumstances and how you've responded and come through them is something that I greatly respect and have also influenced certain areas of my own life.  Amazing work! ..:..      

C'mon Fred, it's not just me who wants you to come, EVERYBODY in Athens wants you here this upcoming weekend/IBC.  

---GF

Aww, thanks, bro.   ;)

Yes, Fred, PLEASE COME!!!

Quote from: Western Rose on February 06, 2010, 11:41:17 AM
Quote from: Fred on February 05, 2010, 10:40:36 PM
  Great story, Ishy! I, too, hope to meet you on the Appleseed Trail one of these days.
  By then, you'll prob be a Red Hat at least - if not a Shoot Boss! :)
  Earl, I like that pic of you and RR's family, minus the parents - it's a great pic!

Fred, Ishy's going to that IBC that GoldFishGunr invited you to. You could met her BEFORE she's a Red Hat (@)), which'll be pretty soon I'm thinking. (O0)

For everyone who doesn't know Earl.. He is NOT as grumpy as he looks in that picture. :o Honest! You should met him some day. He'll probably have you laughing and grinning your head off within minutes of your meeting. O0 Note to self... First weekend of April, we'll have to get a picture of all of the instructors and then Earl'll have a picture of him with ALL of RR's family with more than half of them wearing orange. :D

Thanks, WR!  I hope our "Appleseed Trails" cross someday!   ;)  May the Lord bless you.  I hope to meet Evenstar too!   :cool2:  And all you other cool people out west.   8)

To read my story of how cancer took my leg and how my life has been changed as a result, visit www.sararichardsoninfo.com.  Thanks.   ;)

Thanks to all of you wonderful Appleseeders who got me on board.  

Ishy
"If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  ~2 Chronicles 7:14

"The proof of desire is pursuit."  ~Kirk DeVinney

Whootsinator

If any of you guys have any sort of trouble making an event, just say so. Yesterday I received MANY PMs from people offering assistance because I was having difficulties making things line up. Very helpful bunch here.  :)

Evenstar

I've done it. I'm a Rifleman. (Woman, whatever.) :D This last weekend I attended my second AS shoot as a shooter (Lewiston, Idaho 3rd-4th). On Saturday we had some crazy 'normal' Idaho Spring weather consisting of hail, snow, rain, wind, sunshine, etc. #) We got to shoot two AQTs on Saturday, and I made my first Rifleman score of 216 and received the patch. I accepted the orange hat as well, which I had been planing to take on ever since I got started with Appleseed last year (see my first post on this thread). I wanted to help on the line on Sunday, but wasn't allowed to since I had to get an entire second shoot under my belt first. So I shot Sunday too, and am now happily a very solid Rifleman. In all I made 8 Rifleman scores over the weekend, my high being 230. (Never got a 210, thank goodness.) **)
I might also mention that Earl is a great shoot boss, and we want him back. :)
Now I'm headed for the April 17th-18th CdA, ID shoot, and I'm very excited to be starting my 'new trail'. Back to coaching!  &)
Like I said in my first post, I was not interested AT ALL with getting involved with the program. It's just amazing to me that I've gone from that to an orange hat and admin work in such a short time.
There are so many people I have to thank for their encouragement, and I'm going to try to list them. A BIG thank you to Fred, Riflewoman, Guy, SavageShootr, Nurse Ratchett, GoldFish, Ishy, Lyberty, Earl, Hawkhavn, Pa Rah, RL, XOR, GunslingerGirl, actineon, tdow, Western Rose, Reformed Redneck, Tru Tenacity, Still Learnin', patronus of licentia, Deu1118, Cedarpole, eert, Roland, Leftey, Theophilus, Joni, The Kid, POP, Boba Fett, Phenry, and so many more.

You've all been very supportive, and I thank you.

Hope to meet some of you 'kids' down the road.  :cool2:

~ES
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

AZstopwatch

i am 10 and have a personal best on an aqt of 125. i want the orange hat sooooooo bad and i  will make sure i get it by the end of the year. even though i cant get a red hat until im 18 i want to be an instructor in training.
I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
Nathan Hale, before being hanged by the British, September 22, 1776

"One if by land two if by sea."
Paul Revere, on his Midnight Ride, 1775

banjoman

The banjoman story has a rather odd beginning... First of all, this is actually NDrifleman writing this post with my brother's account, primarily because it was myself who was accidentally responsible for Peter's becoming an IIT.

After attending our first shoot in late May of 2009 where both of us scored Rifleman, I (NDrifleman) decided I wanted to become an instructor.  I had not made the decision to take up the Appleseed trail at the shoot itself, so a week or two later I decided to start the process by joining this online forum.

Now you have to understand something:  I, NDrifleman, play the five string banjo. It is the instrument closest to my heart, and nobody else in my family plays it.  Naturally, I decided to call myself "banjoman," and created my own account with that username.  

A week passed.  My account had still not been activated.  I began to doubt whether I had actually clicked the correct button to submit my information.  These doubts overcame my misgivings and I created another account, this one under the username of "NDrifleman."  That evening, both accounts were activated and here I was with two separate identities on the Appleseed forum.

Then things became more interesting.  I posted on two different sections of the forum mentioning that I wanted to become an IIT.  One post was under my first account and the other post was under the second. Our state coordinator naturally thought that one person was myself, and the "other person" was another individual.  So I began to get emails to both accounts telling me what to do, and even after I clarified the situation, apparently the notice went unheeded because both of my identities were still treated as separate individuals.

The account that was most clearly identified with myself ended up being NDrifleman, and I offered the "banjoman" account to my brother, with the understanding that this would mean he was going to take up the Appleseed trail himself and get his orange hat.  He agreed, and by the providence of God has enjoyed it ever since!  We have together instructed at three shoots so far, and will be attending an RBC in July.

So there you have it!

NDrifleman, standing in for the 16 year old banjoman who does not play banjo

Fred

The funniest thing is these two guys prob still think it wasn't all planned out by the high honchos in AS!

**)  **)     ^:)^     

NC-17

Well my story starts in a small town in West Virginia. My dad (siglite) and mom (bbkf) decide to make me tag along to this shooting program way out in the middle of nowhere. I'm only 13 and their dragging me out of bed at 5:45 AM on a saturday. I figure since I get to shoot the whole day I might as well go. When we arrive we can tell the weather is going to be miserable! It had rained the night before and the high was to be in the 90's. I'm there thinking 'oh I know how to shoot, I'll prove it on the first AQT!'....."SEIZE FIRE SEIZE FIRE SEIZE FIRE, UNLOAD AND CLEAR. shooters you may proceed down range and retrieve your targets.".....  :o It looked like I opened up on it with a twelve gauge with bird-shot. I think my score was 65 or lower... :'( (My Ego was shot DOWN) No luck that weekend. Oh well... It took me six AS's to finally get my patch. I wanted to be an IIT as well and took the hat. My next shoot will be in Stinson WV on May 29-31. My dad will be trying to get his red hat as my mother and I instruct!     See you on the trail!!!
NO CLEARANCE -17

STEYR HS .50cal + concrete blocks = GRAVEL!!