News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Other People's Kids

Started by OrovilleTim, March 12, 2010, 02:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrovilleTim

I had a question posed to me by my teen daughter as we were pulling out from our first Appleseed last weekend:  "Dad, can we bring 'so-and-so' to the next one?"  With so-and-so being one of her teen-aged friends.

I told her that I thought the parents would have to be here to sign the release forms.  But, while I'm sure the parents wouldn't get off the couch to come to an Appleseed (sadly), I got to thinking that the more that learn marksmanship, the better off we are for the future.

So, my question is:  If we downloaded the forms and had the minor's parents sign the release, could they attend?  Or, would the parent actually have to be on-sight to sign and for the minor to participate? 

I figured it would be better to ask and find out for sure, than to just assume that it wasn't workable.

Thanks much,
Tim
"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian." - George Washington

Fred

The short answer is "yes" (as to the downloading) and "no" (as to the parent having to be there - altho every effort should be made to encourage the parent to be there - just so we can reach someone else) - assuming the kid is under 18 - 18 and older would be considered adults in their own right.

As a practical matter, if a 'kid' shows up in the company of an adult neighbor or friend, we've been treating the adult as in effect the temporary guardian, and allowing him or her to sign the waiver along with the kid.

(Because it'd be such a shame to turn a kid away on a legal technicality...)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

OrovilleTim

Thanks so much for the response!  This is excellent news.  Maybe if the kid goes home excited to share what happened, they'll sway the parents to come to a future Appleseed. 

Thanks,
Tim
"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian." - George Washington

LayloPro

Interesting question OT...I'm glad you asked..... O0
And thank you Fred (the Helpful) for the nice succinct answer! ..:..

This has been mentioned a time or two around, and I hadn't heard a "definitive" (as in "the P'sTB have spoken") answer on it... ^:)^

Just as a minor precaution tho', perhaps a waiver/note from the actual parents assigning the care & safety of their "child" to whoever the "responsible adult" is at the event might fore stall any possible "bad juju" as well, perhaps.....

(big fan of covering backside, and thinking around corners)....... :~

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

OrovilleTim

Quote from: LayloPro on March 12, 2010, 08:17:13 PM
Just as a minor precaution tho', perhaps a waiver/note from the actual parents assigning the care & safety of their "child" to whoever the "responsible adult" is at the event might fore stall any possible "bad juju" as well, perhaps.....

Good idea.  Something like a field trip permission form we're always signing for the kids  O0

desertrat144

My .02 worth.

Give your local hospital a call (where shoot is being held), and ask them what paperwork they need to allow treatment for a nonfamily member, and how they expect payment to be made.  Whose insurance will be billed?  What payment is expected at the time of service?  The hospitals will have the proper forms for free. 

Also find out if anything needs to be Notorized.

Every state has its own requirements.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Western Rose

Here's a PDF of the Liability Release Form.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

OrovilleTim

Thanks for the release form.

I found this form on the net for medical treatment:  http://www.stvincent.org/NR/rdonlyres/96FF8FCD-ED30-4BBE-B2BE-37687F53CEBB/0/parentalconsent.pdf

Looks like it covers the bases medically while the kids are in my care.