News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Well, I'm a new M-1 Garand owner.

Started by BobABQ, February 12, 2010, 01:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobABQ

My CMP M-1 arrived Wednesday. Right now I have it at Charlie's getting cleaned and inspected for safe operation. From the serial number it was produced around September 1944.

I need to thank NMMI9100 for convincing me not to get an M-1a.

SamD pointed a few things out to me that NMMI9100 confirmed.

So a big thank you to both SamD and NMMI9100.

ItsanSKS

Congrats!  I am positive you will be happy with your new(ish) M1 Garand.  They truly are a dream to shoot.

My one concern:
QuoteI need to thank NMMI9100 for convincing me not to get an M-1a.

SACRILEGE!  HERETIC!  ~~:)

Just because you bought an M1 Garand is not a justifiable reason to NOT buy an M1A... They are both excellent rifles, and no collection is complete without a few variants of each!

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

dragit

QuoteSamD pointed a few things out to me that NMMI9100 confirmed.

Is it possible to elaborate on what they pointed out?  I am interested in purchasing one or the other in the future.  Thank you.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Devnull

O0 O0 O0

Awesome! So when are you going to invite us to go shooting with you and it? I have an out of the way makeshift 25m range to sight it in ya know!  ;D

How long did it take to get it?

Anywho, give me a call. I would like to touch base with you on how your doing and just general BS and such.

Now, go burn some ammo! (Effectively, of course!)
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

BobABQ

To be precise it wasn't what NMMI9100 said that convinced me what instead watching him shoot his M1a at the most recent Appleseed at the Socorro Gun Club last year that convinced me not to buy a M1a. That appendage called a detachable magazine, the one that dangles under the rifle, obviously interfered with his ability to get his support elbow completely under the rifle while in the prone position.

His performance convinced me that I would enjoy shooting an M-1 Garand over an M1a. 

staplegund

As another happy cmp m1 owner, I must exhort you to read the manual that came with it.  Don't think you really need to take an armorer's course to disassemble the rifle.  No doubt Charlie will show you, and save some time.  I followed the manual for disassembly, and took apart everything except trigger group and sights so far.  I cleaned everything (make sure you don't get solvent on your manual.  You will suffer loss if you do.  Don't ask how I know.)  Cleaning the stock is the hard part.  Use MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), and be careful; it's very flammable.  It can spontaneously combust if soaked in a rag and thrown on hot asphalt pavement in the summer.   But don't let that put you off.  It's the best cosmoline-remover I know of- I tried mineral spirits, acetone and this works best, especially if you put the stock in heavy duty plastic sheet and glob a paste of chalk powder and mek on it, seal it up, then let it sit in a hot place like an old junk car or some such large solar-heated contrivance for 2-3 hrs.  Then clean off most of the now-yellowed chalk, and repeat until clean.  A really big electric oven would be nice, but my stove is too little.  Hope this helps.  Oh, and don't forget ammo.  CMP should soon have lots of it for sale.  That's a big reason to choose an m1 over the m1a;  Ammo availability.  Chalk availability: you can try a feed store that caters to large animals(50 lb./<$10), or a sports store that has field lining chalk, or you can go REALLY cheap and scoop it up by the pocketful when you play softball **) I had to go to the Sherwin Williams store for MEK, and they make you sign for it because meth labs use it illicitly.  Buy 1 gallon no problem.
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

Devnull

Quote from: BobABQ on February 12, 2010, 02:17:37 PM
His performance convinced me that I would enjoy shooting an M-1 Garand over an M1a. 

What, hitting the steel every time at 542yds convinced you that an M1A wasn't for you? I'm confused... Ok, two misses as he figured out the then unknown distance on a approx. 6moa ram and maybe one at 570yds on a 3moa prairie dog? (Again unknown distance to us at the time.)

He was shooting like a rifleman. Boy that was a sight to see!

I agree on the issues caused by a mag, but MAN that rifle was sweet! I was like 18 out of 20 hits on the steel once I figured out my zero was different than NMMI's.

BTW, you will NEVER hear me knock an M1. I have a long standing love affair with them rifles, but I wants me an M1A too now!
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

oladcock

You guys are going to cost me money! :) Have fun!....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

SamD

I too prefer the real thing. John C walked off the project in disgust at what had been done to his fine rifle.

Although the M14/m-1 is a fine piece, I'll take mine without the dangling participle  ^:)^

JeremyF

Congrats! My Garand is one of my favorites.

BobABQ

Quote from: Devnull on February 12, 2010, 02:43:00 PM
Quote from: BobABQ on February 12, 2010, 02:17:37 PM

What, hitting the steel every time at 542yds convinced you that an M1A wasn't for you? I'm confused... Ok, two misses as he figured out the then unknown distance on a approx. 6moa ram and maybe one at 570yds on a 3moa prairie dog? (Again unknown distance to us at the time.)

He was shooting like a rifleman. Boy that was a sight to see!

I agree on the issues caused by a mag, but MAN that rifle was sweet! I was like 18 out of 20 hits on the steel once I figured out my zero was different than NMMI's.

BTW, you will NEVER hear me knock an M1. I have a long standing love affair with them rifles, but I wants me an M1A too now!

Devnull,

I was impressed with NMMI9100's ability to shoot his M1a, especially considering his disability (Texan), but I was also cognizant of his elbow placement when firing his rifle from the prone position.

The M-1 Garand has a proven track record as does the M-14; the M1a is some sort of mixed breed science experiment.  ;D

TaosGlock

I own 2 M1A's, a SA NM and a reworked Polytec. I find the M1 (mine is 43' w. a 66' Danish barrel) a bit more shootable. That seamless bottom makes for some tight positions. :---
For me, the jury is still out on the best for overall use.
All have exceed the "Rifleman's standard" with the ammo I have tested.  O0  
My M1 will eventually get the adjustable gas plug so someday when I have time, I can safely work up some 190 grain loads an really get it done. :---
I like that you can stuff loaded M1 clips in the tiniest of spaces in your ruck, jacket or vest. O0
Try that with M1A mags, even 10 rounders. ^-^
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Earl

I have had my M1 from CMP for about a year and a half, and I like it more as I learn more every day. The M14 or M1A only need more five round magazines to make me happy with them. I don't think I miss much with each of my bullets. have never faced the hordes of babbling barbarians that twenty rounds at a time seem to call for - and don't think I ever will. Yep, I like the M1, without the committee of non-shooters that thought they could improve it.
^-^

Having said all of that, some one could give me an M1A to test for about twenty years with an ammunition supply and ten round magazines and I would be fair and impartial in my judgment about which was better... ask me in twenty years, I am not an expert yet, that will take time and perseverance. O0

Focus on the front sight, focus your mind on keeping the front sight on the target... ..:..
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Colorado Pete

Welcome to the club!
A fine addiction....once you have settled into prone with sling, jacket, and glove, and heard the 'PING' after your first eight 'BOOMS', you will be spoiled for life!
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

alonso1

I just received my CMP field grade HRA Garand yesterday.  I opened the box at 1:38pm central time, it was a beautiful thing.

The muzzle wear gauge measured a 2 and the throat erosion was also a 2.  The stock needs some work, but who cares, that's the fun part.

I use the opportunity to purchase a CMP Garand as another benefit for attending an Appleseed when promoting the program. I don't know why I took so long to buy one myself but I'm glad I did.

I also choose the Garand over the M1A.  For me( being 5' 6" on a good day ), the mag on the M1A is a bit much.  I guess if my arms were longer, I would go with the M1A.  Who would not want the extra 12 rounds.

Well y'all excuse me, I got some cosmoline to be dealing with ;D

Old Dog

Between being mechanically inclined/curious/etc. and tearing mine (all of them) a few times I don't really refer to these anymore but I keep them on the computer as favorites to share with others.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/m1.htm  FM 23-5

http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/tm9-1275.htm  TM 9-1275

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/  CMP, here you'll see further links to field stripping, detail stripping, nomenclature, reassembly, etc.

I bought my M1A in 1978 (anyone here had theirs that long??).  It was the rifle I grabbed when the chief said we might be called for back up at a road block and the rifle I carried deer hunting (and killed my deer with) when I lived in WV.  However, 3 years ago I got my first CMP M1, a Dec. '44 Springfield Armory rifle.  It has replaced my M1A as my range gun and my travel rifle (fitting it and the ammo/belt, banoleers, etc. in the back of my wife's Fusion is a tight fit ;)). 

They really are great rifles and they have one thing that the M1A's do not....they have been used to defend this country and it's people from tyranny and oppression.  If my two Dec. '44 M1's and my May '43 M1 could only talk, where have they been and what have they been used for???

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

fepowered

Quote from: BobABQ on February 13, 2010, 12:18:56 AM
The M-1 Garand has a proven track record as does the M-14; the M1a is some sort of mixed breed science experiment. 
How so?  Other than the lack of the selector switch and full auto capability, there is no functional or practical difference between a M14 and a M1A... 
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

hawkeye

M14 clones except for the LRB receiver are not forged or as high quality steel as the GI receivers. Some are much softer (Chinese).  M-14s were used in Vietnam to fight for other peoples freedom and against the commies. M1 Garand is the real deal like Old Dog said been there done that. A little tuning and the M1 will out shoot most of us. The clip change is just as fast all though more of them, then the mag change in an M14. Too bad it doesn't drop like the M16 Mag.     
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

SamD

The 14 was an iffy proposition that took millions of dollars to get where it was a serviceable rifle. Many compromises were made to make it fit the multi roles envisioned for the model.  Early USGI M14 production was subjected to more "recalls" than Toyota.  It was finally made serviceable only through the very strictest adherence to metallurgy, heat treating specifications and manufacturing tolerances.  I even have doubts about the LRB.  If I could operate an LRB with "da switch" for a day I could tell you. If it says TRW, or H&R, I'm happy. Springfield Arsenal, or WW, less so.
The Taiwanese production was very good also.

Due to the operating characteristics the MI has a very gentle operation with little stress on the working parts adn only 1 that I consider anything like sensitive.
I have a couple of M1's. One a DCM gun, the other a GI bringback that was "regularized" in the 60's, late 1939 production.

That rifle has a history.   When I rec'd it there was a proviso attached that it had to be returned immediately if we were ever under threat from Communist China. He has a special thing about CHICOMS.
He inspects it every time he visits to make sure it is in good condition, knows when I have re-barreled it or done anything to the sights or trigger.    I treasure that rifle, and use it regularly but its care is nearly a burden because if it's provenance. The traditional White Elephant of Siam and the King comes by to check it's care and feeding a couple of times a year. ~~:)

fepowered

Quote from: hawkeye on February 13, 2010, 10:36:36 AM
A little tuning and the M1 will out shoot most of us. The clip change is just as fast all though more of them, then the mag change in an M14. Too bad it doesn't drop like the M16 Mag.
You need nearly 3 to 1 clips to mags...
It takes ALOT of cash to get a Garand to shoot like a NM M1A..

M14 clones except for the LRB receiver are not forged or as high quality steel as the GI receivers. Some are much softer (Chinese).
There simply is not an issue of M1A receiver failure for even the Chinese M14s.   More rounds have been fired out of Springfield M1A receivers than GI M14s.  This is simply a non-issue.   High quality cast has proven to be more than durable.   
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are

fepowered

Quote from: fepowered on February 13, 2010, 12:19:15 PM
A little tuning and the M1 will out shoot most of us. The clip change is just as fast all though more of them, then the mag change in an M14. Too bad it doesn't drop like the M16 Mag.
You need nearly 3 to 1 clips to mags...
It takes ALOT of cash to get a Garand to shoot like a NM M1A.. (near 1MOA)

M14 clones except for the LRB receiver are not forged or as high quality steel as the GI receivers. Some are much softer (Chinese).
There simply is not an issue of M1A receiver failure for even the Chinese M14s.   More rounds have been fired out of Springfield M1A receivers than GI M14s.  This is simply a non-issue.   High quality cast has proven to be more than durable.   

Old Dog

Its a matter of fit and preference.  Either will get the job done.  Ballistics and down range capability are fundamentally the same.  The magazine doesn't both me (I think the 5 and 10 rounders look funny, sort of like the new flash suppressors with no bayonet lug, or the short barreled versions so popular now.)

I've seen two different guys put 4 clips through their M1's in 60 seconds.  I was amazed, both times, and since the second time the guy was on my left I sat up and back and let him sling brass all over my mat.

Isn't it great to be able to have a choice of whether to use an M1 or an M1A?   Arguing about which one is best is kind of like arguing whether a '69 SS Camaro is better than a '69 Z28.  Basically you agree with the other guy but you've got some time to waste so pick out the little differences in look, feel, smell, etc. and "discuss" it.  Again, both get the job done in style.... @)

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

BobABQ

Quote from: fepowered on February 13, 2010, 09:28:41 AM
Quote from: BobABQ on February 13, 2010, 12:18:56 AM
The M-1 Garand has a proven track record as does the M-14; the M1a is some sort of mixed breed science experiment. 
How so?  Other than the lack of the selector switch and full auto capability, there is no functional or practical difference between a M14 and a M1A... 

Easy answer: it is exactly those differences you mention that I'm referring to!

How many of those M1a were made in the old Springfield Armory operated by the federal government vs the new private corporation?

How many of the M1a produced by Polytech or the new Springfield Armory serve on the battlefields around the world?

The M1a is a very capable rifle, I have seen NMMI9100 shoot his extremely well.

Regardless of its merits I saw issues with getting into a tight prone position with the magazine dangling under the rifle.

I guess I am the kind of person who prefers the real thing. Like Coke-Cola versus Pepsi.

fepowered

Quote from: BobABQ on February 13, 2010, 01:17:42 PM
Regardless of its merits I saw issues with getting into a tight prone position with the magazine dangling under the rifle.

Plenty of High Masters using an AR15 with its magazine dangling... :cool2:

If all you are concerned about is nostalgia, you have some points..   If you are concerned about shooting well, a M1A will satisfy all concerns in this arena...
Unless you have in excess of $40K to burn, you will never own a genuine GI M14 as they simply are not in the open market other than a small single digit number.    If you google Iraq and Afghanistan M14 pics, you will see that the USMC Armory is building precision M14s (M21, etc) without the happy switch... So much for exactly those differences I mentioned being significant..;)

BobABQ

Quote from: fepowered on February 13, 2010, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: BobABQ on February 13, 2010, 01:17:42 PM

Plenty of High Masters using an AR15 with its magazine dangling... :cool2:

If all you are concerned about is nostalgia, you have some points..   If you are concerned about shooting well, a M1A will satisfy all concerns in this arena...
Unless you have in excess of $40K to burn, you will never own a genuine GI M14 as they simply are not in the open market other than a small single digit number.    If you google Iraq and Afghanistan M14 pics, you will see that the USMC Armory is building precision M14s (M21, etc) without the happy switch... So much for exactly those differences I mentioned being significant..;)

I'm unaware of M1a being in the Afghanistan theater, if so then I stand corrected about the M1a not serving on the battlefield. I DO make a distinction between the M14 and the M1a and that might explain some of my earlier comments.

I'm sure there are "plenty of High Masters" that shoot well with a AR15 platform with "its magazine dangling."

I'm not a High Master shooter.

I'm just a guy who happened to shoot Rifleman once or twice and saw a position issue with the dangling magazine.

To be honest,  "If you are concerned about shooting well, a M1A will satisfy all concerns in this arena..." I could do so with for less money purchasing  a Weatherby Vangard SUBMOA rifle. No detachable box magazine dangling under the rifle, a bolt action which prevents and "spray and pray" bad shooting habits from forming.

SamD

Just remember folks, friendly discussion.
You cannot buy success.

Any service rifle, any handful of surplus ammo.

Old Dog

The magazine/elbow placement thing can be worse/better based on arm length.  VAshooter likes his M1 over the M14 because there is no magazine to get in the way of his arm (if you know VAshooter, you know why) ;)  Just like there are folks who say the 30 round magazine in the AR is "bad" as it will hit the ground in prone.  I don't have that issue either, not that I have gorilla arms (at least when your 6'3" long arms don't look out of place).

I carried an M14 in the US Army for 3.5 years.  I loved it.  Absolutely no issues with it ever (can't say that for the M16A1's we had in basic and AIT - and don't turn this into an M14 vs. M16 thing, I'm just saying my military experience with the M14 was all positive).  Even though all the M14's had a place for the selector switch (semi to full and back to semi) only two rifles per rifle squad had the selector switch installed.  I never fired an M14 in full auto and never had the desire to.  I could hit anything I wanted to hit with my M1A in semi auto.  It was a TRW, #3170149.  I wish I could have "left with it" when I got out.

The whole idea behind the M14 was flawed.  Just proves the college guys involved in coming up with the idea, developing the rifle and forcing it on the miliray were definately not RIFLEMEN!!!! ^:)^  Full auto from a 20 round magazine has got to be a real drag compared to a belt fed full auto (yeah I know the M60 is heavy, about 24 lbs. if my aching shouder/arms remember correctly).   

The M1 Garand is a great rifle.  If the CMP gets that ammo they are talking about it will most likely be cheaper than any of the berdan primed (non-reloadable) 7.62X51 surplus you can buy.  The clips last forever (no springs to wear out, no feed lips to bend).  The parts are plentiful and cheap compared to the M14 parts required to rebuild/repair the M1A (except for those few M1 parts that are interchangeable with the M14/M1A).  The sights are great.  The action is strong.  The stocks/handguards are strong.  If you have that type of desire you can still get match sights and match barrels for them.  You can get 3 CMP M1s for the cost of an M1A (ask me how that works out 8)). 

No use arguing which one is best.  Both get the job done.   Have fun shooting whichever one you choose.

Colorado Pete

Not really much substance to choose between. Some folks think they need a 20 round box or couldn't be bothered with M1 clips, others dislike the mag and have no trouble with clips, and that is one of the biggest things. GI Clips are getting harder to find and more pricey, but 3 clips (24 rounds worth) can still be had for around $3-4 compared to about $30-40 for a GI M14 mag, and clips can be loaded with ammo indefinitely without harm (although getting about 3000 rounds of ready ammo clipped can lead to some serious clip expenditures!).

The differences in gas systems can be overcome with an adjustable plug for the M1.

The complexity and spare-parts cost and availability is one definite strike against the M1. Lots of little gadgetry tucked in the receiver and good op-rods are scarce and pricey. If you can cough up some serious $$ for a supply of various spares then no problem.

I prefer the M1 as it has more forward balance and so hangs better in offhand, plus the mag doesn't get in the way. Other than that they are almost interchangeable as far as shooting goes, and I'd prefer either over the more modern designs. YMMV....
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

Wade

Congradultions on getting your M-1 Garand :) .In my modest little gun safe there is a savage fp 10 tactical .308 an M1A loaded and an M-1 Garand an sks etc,, On my travels around the country the M-1 Garand get's the job to go with me, I would not in any way feel shorted if it had to come into service it is fast to reload (I have done abit of that with it) I would not feel shorted with My M-1a either I am by some acounts abit tall so my arm and the mag is not much of an issue. If I NEEDED a sub moa shot  thats what the savage fp 10 is for.  the sks is a good handy carbine  diffrant tools for diffrant jobs  how many hammers do you have ? a tack hammer a framing hammer a finishing hammer a slegde hammer's a 5 lb and a 10 lb  a shoe makers hammer (and yes I do have a shoe makers hammer 3 of really 2 diffrant kinds in fact). I have not trained enough to tell if the m1a is better then the m-1 Garand or not ,,o yea I also have a 10/22 and it is what gets shot the most with live fire .   O yea I also Have an old 1888 commsion Rifle  changed over to "modern"8mm by the truk's before ww2, that after I get a replacment extractor for it I am planning to score Rifleman with it just to prove a point .

Also its the Indain not the arrow  use what ever Rifle you have train with it dry fire dry fire dry fire .

Be happy with your Rifle learn its sights its maintaince its weak spots and strong points know it well as you should any tool you have .

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

CaptG

Congrats Bob and Alonso,
Like Earl, I like mine more every time I send steel downrange. Each outing gets me more comfortable & proficient with it. A few weeks ago took it out & shot KD for the first time rather than just the home 25m range & was pleasantly surprised to confirm that everything I learned and have been telling others at AS works just like it's supposed to.
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill