News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Well, I'm a new M-1 Garand owner.

Started by BobABQ, February 12, 2010, 01:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

Well, Alonso let me shoot his last weekend and that set the hook deep. I sent my order off to the CMP today. Man, I cannot wait!!!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Pappy

Nice Post Wade; You are so right.
Also its the Indain not the arrow  use what ever Rifle you have train with it dry fire dry fire dry fire .
Well put!!! Pappy

Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

nmmi9100

HERESY, I tell you!

I need to keep a better eye on this forum as Bob attempts to besmirch my good (well maybe not so good) name!

My solution to the M14 /  M1  /  AR15  /  AR10  /  FAL debate is to buy ONE OF EACH...or maybe TWO...and shoot the piss out of them.

Thus far, I've just got the one LRB M14SA, the one Springfield late 1945 M1 Garand, one DSA FrankenFAL, and a handful of poodle shooters (AR15s in 223 & 6.8 SPC).  Sold the AR10...it was a malf-o-matic.

So, I'll have it known, that I gave Bob no such advice to avoid the M14.  His wife just won't let him have the $1500-$2500 that it takes to get an M14 and he's trying to justify.  The M14 is far and away the best Battle Rifle ever divised, in my opinion.  The gas system redesign alone makes it superior to the M1 Garand....and the sight radius and adjustability kicks the crap out of the FAL.  The M14 is a rifleman's rifle!

Come on Bob, just take out another student loan, man!

-David (I love my M14, M1, and FAL...aka trunk gun)
Edgewood, NM

BobABQ

Take a look at what I wrote. I don't recall writing anything about you TELLING not to buy a M1a but that you CONVINCED me not to get one.

That is a rather significant difference between the two.

hawkeye

I've been following this thread and trying to to stay out of the fray. I've had the M14 clone and the M1s, I sold the M14, in favor of cheap parts,ammo , history, easy to work on, and no expensive mags to buy. Most folks can only afford one or two M14 clones plus the support items, Most can afford a safe full of Garands,ammo and spares. And yes it's the Indian not the arrow. That's all I'm going to say about this now I'm headed to the range with a few M1's to test and and a FN-49.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

7.62er

I'm taking a little side trip through Anniston, AL in July.  Does anyone have any particular advice in my shopping foray?  I guess I'm gonna be spending a few hours there.
Since I have three 7.62x51/.308s, a friend armorer suggested I get the M1 and fix it where I could shoot 7.62x51 in it.  What thinks ye?
I heard CMP is soon getting a shipment of M1s from Korea...true?

heretic.
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

SamD

7.62 M1's are easy to build,
literally just swap barrels.
You can also add a filler block that will prevent you inserting a clip of '06 if you wish.

Why the fascination with using "shorts"?

Colorado Pete

Heretic, if you are planning on replacing the barrel with a 7.63x51mm (.308), you might as well get one with a lousy barrel but a GOOD GAS SYSTEM (op rod piston and gas cylinder gauging good by mil-spec inspection gauges). Things like a beat-up stock are cosmetic, you can refinish or buy new wood. This leans you toward the cheaper class of rifle. Main thing is you must have a good gas system or the rifle may malfunction (short-stroke the action due low compression between piston and gas cylinder, just like an engine).

The CMP folks should be more than happy to help you out, then you just get a good quality .308 barrel and have a competent M1 smith (important!) fit and chamber it, and you're all set for one cartridge. Then look for some spare parts (2 firing pins, 3 extractor/spring/plunger sets). And GI quality clips (the more the merrier, at least 50-100). A GI clip belt is handy too. You can make "speed pouches" for the clips that fit on your pants belt out of leather pliers pouches if you can find ones that are not too narrow at the top opening.

The magazine filler block referenced by SamD also helps keep the shorter .308 rounds from drifting forward in the clip as you get down to the last couple of shots, which can cause them to fly out of the rifle when the seventh shot is fired and the action opens as the rifle is recoiling (seen in happen in my .308 Tanker).

Have fun...you are about to be spoiled for life....
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

7.62er

It's not so much a fascination with the short, it's just I already have several calibers.  I'm still fairly new to center fire and am learning.  I got behind the curve raising kids and paying bills and about 2 years ago, earnestly started into the sport. That's why I'm asking the experts.  :sos: Just want to know the pros and cons.
  I figured someone would say, "convert an M1?  Heretic!!"
  I'm not against keeping it .30-06 either.  I JUST WANT ONE!  (...or 2, or 3....)O0
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

SamD

I was just curious.
Worn gas cyls are not too much of an issue. pistons take about 10 minutes to make and 15 to replace, in any size you need.

Throat and muzzle erosion are wildly bad ways to measure the potential of a given specimen. so don't strain yourself looking for a pristine one.

If you are a reloader, buy yourself a Schuster gas plug and open a whole world of possibilities.

Sam

staplegund

Uh, what's a Schuster gas plug do for you?   ++) Will it shut off the wind here, or do we need to plug it in TX to do that?  **)
Scott
Mischief springs from the power which the moneyed interest derives from a paper currency which they are able to control, from the multitude of corporations with exclusive privileges... which are employed altogether for their benefit. --Andrew Jackson

bedford

I preferred (before I lost vision in r. eye) the M1 over the M1A because:

1) I prefer having my hand right in front of the trigger guard with offhand.
2) I do not like the mag catching on my clothing when changing positions or hitting my arm or the ground when in prone.
3) I can load and fire faster with the M1.
4) The gas system is far easier to clean...you can use your .45 brushes and clean straight through, no special tools, etc.
5) The sight radius is slightly longer on the M1.
6) The en blocs are more comfortable for me to carry.  In the bandoleers they mold around your body.

The M1A is much more user friendly for a lefty.

SamD

A schuster gas plug is designed to adjustably vent excess gas from the system.
With GI ammo it isn't necessary
With reloads or factory 30-06, it will let you vent teh excess so you can run heavy loads.
I use teh Sierra 200 Matchking at 2700 for 1K shooting from mine. It performs beautifully but would wrecked the gun without that vented plug.
Most commercial 06 is loaded with slower powder to higher pressure than Milspec stuff and could easily damage an M1. With the Schuster, it's like any ol stuff.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=777146&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=649

Sam

ItsanSKS

Quote from: heretic on April 29, 2010, 02:33:55 PM

I heard CMP is soon getting a shipment of M1s from Korea...true?

heretic.

False.

The Korean M1 Garands were sold to Korea, rather than the lend/lease program.  These rifles will be imported through an as of yet unannounced importer (all signs point to Century International Arms) and sold on the open market. 

In talking with someone who had recently been stationed in Korea, he mentioned that ALL the M1 Garands that he had seen over there were in really piss poor condition, and that it would be highly unlikely for the ones to be sold here to be in any better condition, though one can hope. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Colorado Pete

One can also get a Criterion barrel from Midway (made by Krieger and very very good) for about $220 and a complete set of new wood for I think less than $200. Adds up, but still may be cheaper than an M1A...
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

spitstickler

Sam, I wanted to thank you again for getting me straight on my CMP paperwork a few months back. Order placed and rifle received. I've had it for a month or so and I ABSOLUTELY love it!

There have has actually been an outbreak of CMP purchases in Texas recently. We had a work weekend down at Scout's place last month and took a break on Sat evening to try out our new purchases. Alonso even surprised us with some tracers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9AwgIkSReI
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

SamD

Looks like you all were having too much fun.
Glad it wasn't dry yet, hate to see that hayfield on fire  ;D