News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania Muster

Started by Edheler, February 02, 2010, 08:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edheler

Since I didn't see anyone else create the thread, I thought I would start it. I will see some of you in Beaver Falls in April, hopefully my dry-fire practice will pay off and I will get my rifleman patch then. :)

George Donnelly

Hey there

I attended several appleseeds in Manheim. Great folks, great instruction.

Cowdog

Hello gentlemen,
Ed-I will be likely seeing you @ Beaver Falls.
George, I hope to one day make it back east to Manheim. 
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Chainsaw

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Frontsight

I very much enjoyed learning the IIT trade at Manheim last year.  I'm going to do my best to make it out to the Timothy Murphy DAR this year and also try to get to Allemans in April if there is enough help signed up for Manheim.  My first Appleseed was at Allemans last year and I'm a little nostalgic.  Plus they have a gen - u - ine 1000 yard range there and with the emphasis on actual distance shooting this year, who knows, we might get to try it.

Frontsight

Cowdog

Be glad to see you out here at the Tim Murphy! Free camping free firewood, THis year looking to add a shower and permanent toilet.
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Puff-TMD

Hello from the South Hills of Pittsburgh.
"Liberty means responsibility.   That is why most men dread it."  --   George Bernard Shaw

Big H

I hope to see many of you at Manheim Feb. 20-21.  :)

B9

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Puff-TMD

Quote from: B9 on February 02, 2010, 09:20:34 PM
Quote from: Puff-TMD on February 02, 2010, 09:18:36 PM

Back in PA?

Yes, as of September last year.  New job, close to home.
"Liberty means responsibility.   That is why most men dread it."  --   George Bernard Shaw

Cowdog

Puff,
Are you the Gentleman who was shooting the m1A at the August Slippery Rock Shoot?

Cowdog

Or was the Gentleman with the M1A Edheler?

Either way, I enjoyed talking with you.

Chainsaw

While we're here...   

I can really use help getting some people on the line for Feb 20-21 in Manheim.  Anything you can do would be appreciated, just let me know so we can coordinate.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

mooney

OK, sorry for being late, sick kids today. I'm here and ready!

Mooney
Mooney

Puff-TMD

Quote from: Cowdog on February 02, 2010, 09:24:19 PM
Puff,
Are you the Gentleman who was shooting the m1A at the August Slippery Rock Shoot?

No, never been there.  Was at Langhorne PA (used a M1A) a while back and Gibsonburg OH (used a 10-22) in 08.

Cowdog

Glad to see you Mooney!
Need to touch base about a second range in Slippery Rock. The Slippery Rock Sportsmans club voted to host an AS. No range fee. They have a clubhouse with plumbing within 50 feet of the range. They willl serve hot lunch.  Paved road to site. Rifle range with backstop, but I measured it for only 12 shooters. HOWEVER, I think they might be willing to expand it after an AS Do we want to try to pull this off in early May, using the first date for my DAR but holding it at their site??

Edheler

Quote from: Cowdog on February 02, 2010, 09:25:35 PM
Or was the Gentleman with the M1A Edheler?

Either way, I enjoyed talking with you.

Cowdog, that was me. Next time I will go back to the 10/22, with a scope this time to figure out if my problem was focusing on my front sight. The engineer in me overthinks things, so it's best that I am clear on exactly what my problems are.

mooney

Cowdog,

If we have room for at least 10 shooters we can probably get it done May. That's great news. Do you have confirmed dates for your range? Have you submitted them to SS?
Mooney

Frontsight

Chainsaw - I have a couple lined up for May so far and am working on some others.  February is a tough sell.  The shooters I know work outside and when I mention laying on one's stomach for several hours a day it doesn't get a rapturous reception.  I'll keep trying though.

Frontsight

Frontsight

Mooney - Riflewoman has a thread about this year's April shoots in which door prizes are mentioned.  I have an idea for some door prizes that I would be willing to donate if you are interested.

Thanks, Frontsight

Cowdog

Chainsaw,
I can't help you in Feb at Manheim, We will be in lambing season. :(
I really do want to come east sometime.

Mooney, I am OK with dates submitted here... http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7069.msg94354#msg94354.Nobody said NO.

I willl submit all but the May date to SS, then confirm Slippery Rock Sportsmans for the May date that would have been @ my DAR...OK?

mooney

Quote from: Frontsight on February 02, 2010, 09:48:10 PM
Mooney - Riflewoman has a thread about this year's April shoots in which door prizes are mentioned.  I have an idea for some door prizes that I would be willing to donate if you are interested.

Thanks, Frontsight

I'll look for the thread, and let me see what's going on. Thanks for the offer to help with ideas!!!
Mooney

B9

Quote from: Puff-TMD on February 02, 2010, 09:23:22 PM
Quote from: B9 on February 02, 2010, 09:20:34 PM
Quote from: Puff-TMD on February 02, 2010, 09:18:36 PM

Back in PA?

Yes, as of September last year.  New job, close to home.

See, nobody tells me nothing about PA anymore. :(
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

mooney

Good to see a few of you here. With all the events we had in PA I was hoping for a few more folks, but our instructor base is coming along awesome! Thank you instructors!!!
Mooney

Frontsight

What do we think about coming up with some Pennsylvania specific content for our Appleseeds.  Just little facts to mention during the day, not to supplant the April 19 strikes and dangerous old men, but to supplement them.  Timothy Murphy and the Battle of Saratoga are obvious ideas.  I've been reading Patriot Battles by Michael Stephenson (Overly politicized in my opinion) and he mentions 25 Pennsylvania Riflemen holding off a force of 4000 British at Throgs Neck in October, 1776.  This was during the New York campaign.  It sounds a bit like Thermopylae from the brief mention in his book.  Anyway, does this seem like a good idea or do you think it would be taking away from the national standardization of Appleseed?

Frontsight

mooney

Cowdog,

OK, I can submit the dates, that's what I'm here for, but if you have an electronic copy of what you sent last year for your event that would help. I wasn't the one who sent this in last year. Just the details for the EIP if yuo have it.

Mooney

Quote from: Cowdog on February 02, 2010, 09:52:12 PM
Chainsaw,
I can't help you in Feb at Manheim, We will be in lambing season. :(
I really do want to come east sometime.

Mooney, I am OK with dates submitted here... http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7069.msg94354#msg94354.Nobody said NO.

I willl submit all but the May date to SS, then confirm Slippery Rock Sportsmans for the May date that would have been @ my DAR...OK?
Mooney

Frontsight

Chainsaw - Do you need instructors or shooters for February?  Come to think of it, I'm sure the answer is both!

Frontsight

Cowdog

Frontsight-
We have been doing a bit of that out here at the Tim Murphy. I have been doing a long rifle demo and talking about the shirt-tail men, who came from Pa to Boston during the siege. Your right Patriot Battle has good summaries of battles but is a bit too politicized/trendy

mooney

I think that would be great! I have been looking for as much info on the Pennsylvania Riflemen as I can find. There's a great library and new history museum at the Carlisle War College and I want to get up there and do some research on Thompson's Rifle Battalion that was based out of Carlisle. There's a few local references to them and I found a reference to a book specifically about the PA riflemen I want to get since it's out of print and pretty old.

Quote from: Frontsight on February 02, 2010, 10:04:16 PM
What do we think about coming up with some Pennsylvania specific content for our Appleseeds.  Just little facts to mention during the day, not to supplant the April 19 strikes and dangerous old men, but to supplement them.  Timothy Murphy and the Battle of Saratoga are obvious ideas.  I've been reading Patriot Battles by Michael Stephenson (Overly politicized in my opinion) and he mentions 25 Pennsylvania Riflemen holding off a force of 4000 British at Throgs Neck in October, 1776.  This was during the New York campaign.  It sounds a bit like Thermopylae from the brief mention in his book.  Anyway, does this seem like a good idea or do you think it would be taking away from the national standardization of Appleseed?

Frontsight
Mooney

MeanStreaker

Just checking in on my friends to the east. :)
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)