News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Volunteer/Instructor Gathering in Feburary in Minneapolis

Started by Whisker, January 30, 2010, 02:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whisker

How about an instructor gathering?

We can meet at my house in south Minneapolis on say, Saturday, February 20th at Noon.

Would it be worth it to meet for a couple hours?

Any thoughts? Could you make it?   
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

TheDud

I have my drill weekend in Duluth on that date - but I'll check with BrassBucket to see if she can make it.

AFTERMATH

I put in for the day off; but I can't guarentee I'll get it...
The company's essentially 're-structuring'.
With any luck; I'll have every day off. ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

vmt193

Whisker

What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

javaguy

I am out of town that day, but can be avail for a teleconference if you wanted to try a virtual gathering.

Whisker

Quote from: javaguy on February 02, 2010, 05:48:24 PM
I am out of town that day, but can be avail for a teleconference if you wanted to try a virtual gathering.

That would probably work.  If you have skype then we can set you on the table.  Do you have skype? 

Whisker

So, I'm going to say this meeting is "a go" for Feb 20th at 12:00pm

The address is

1862 E. 26th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55404

Street parking is best option

You can contact me at

515-770-3407

Hope you all can make it.

javaguy

I can skype, but would like to attend in person to meet everyone.. am working on clearing up some time commitments.. will keep you posted  ;)

willorith

If it is all the same to you, I think I'll stay in Florida. As I recall, Minnesota is not quite as warm as Florida. You guys have fun.
We are but human.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: willorith on February 11, 2010, 12:52:26 AM
If it is all the same to you, I think I'll stay in Florida. As I recall, Minnesota is not quite as warm as Florida. You guys have fun.
Don't worry, Minnesota is cold... But it's a different kind of cold. ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

vmt193

Quote from: willorith on February 11, 2010, 12:52:26 AM

But it's not snowing HERE!  ^:)^

Whisker

javaguy

Stimey

I want to jump in here to applaud this effort.  We in North Carolina had a similar meeting on February 6th, and it was invaluable to our efforts going forward in planning our year.  I heartily congratulate this effort and wish to encourage all who are able to attend.  If your experience is anything like ours was, you will look back on this meeting as crucial to all of your successes that follow.  We have already begun to reap the benefits of our fellowship and are on pace to surpass our previous efforts exponentially.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Stimey on February 19, 2010, 05:04:41 AM
I want to jump in here to applaud this effort.  We in North Carolina had a similar meeting on February 6th, and it was invaluable to our efforts going forward in planning our year.  I heartily congratulate this effort and wish to encourage all who are able to attend.  If your experience is anything like ours was, you will look back on this meeting as crucial to all of your successes that follow.  We have already begun to reap the benefits of our fellowship and are on pace to surpass our previous efforts exponentially.
I do believe it shall prove greatly bennifitial.  Thank you.

Looks like we've got:

Vmt193
Whisker
Javaguy
[one other person; I can't remember who.... ::) ]

Seems kinda week.  Minnesota; we can do better! &) &) &)

Whisker

Meeting Minutes

Attending:
VMT193
Javaguy
Sven
Aftermath
Whisker

2010 SHOOT SCHEDULING STUFF

Scheduling of April 17-18
Rochester
Vmt193 (SB)
Kevin?
Craig K.?

Elk River
Joe308
Joel Coles
Sven
Whisker (SB)

Duluth
Aftermath (SB)
Javaguy
Brassbucket
(need one more red hat for 2nd bay)

May 8-9 at Oakdale Gun Club
-Sven has turned in the EIP and soon to do Host Application
-Should be on schedule soon

Minneapolis Rifle Club (in Saint Francis, MN)
-Sven has joined this club
-has a 400 yard range
-wants to schedule an october Full Distance Mini Appleseed
-Sven'll work on that
-The sooner this can be confirmed, the better.  We need to promote ourselves as a full distance program while being one.  

Becker, MN Home Range
-Joe308 is willing to construct a home range on his property
-GO FOR IT
-most likely 25m only
-has a equipment to make berm...
-Work day?  Joe308- chime in and give us a date to help you

Minnesota is looking at over 13 shoots for 2010... over three times last year's capacity
- Winona, Oakdale and Henderson will be added to schedule soon.  
-  Possibly other locations.  Keep an eye/ear out for Western MN or medium-size city/town ranges (Mankato, Moorhead, Bemidji, ect)

PROMOTIONS
Minnesota Weapons Collectors Gun Show
- State Fairgrounds - Colosseum - March 20-21
-Mailed in paperwork and check ($55) on Monday, Feb 22 (pay Whisker back a chunk)
-Should still have tables open
-Whisker will set up either saturday morning or friday night
Saturday Opens at 8am
Whisker
Aftermath
Sven (till noon)
Sunday Opens at 9am
Javaguy
Vmt193
-This will reach A LOT of shooters from all over the state to help fill our shoots.  Network and make contacts.
-Print off promotional materials and bring.

Home Schoolers
Javaguy will lead the charge in promoting with the Home Schooling community
http://www.homeschoolers.org/
http://www.mache.org/
http://www.homeschoolinginminnesota.com/support/supportgroups/localgroups.aspx

Radio
People who listen to radio should call in a lot to plug Appleseed
Whisker will work on Twin Cities so called "liberal" media such as Minnesota NPR and KFAI
Sven and VMT gots the so called "conservative" media
be tactful and careful.  

Press Releases
Whisker will draft a template press release.  This should be sent to all local radio stations and news papers before shoot.
Think of contacts you may have in the media.  Think of people to send press releases to.  

Posters/Fliers
-Minnesota Promotional materials can be found here:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10924.0
-Aftermath: are you making a MN only multishoot flyer?
-Print a stack, keep them in your car with a roll of tape and every time you go into a gas station/grocery store, post them.  Do not care if recruiting possibility seems low.  Posters give a visual recognition.  They may ignore it once, but if they see a poster after a metion of Appleseed, or see another poster, they'll stop and read it.  This is a constant effort.  

MAIN GOALS FOR 2010
- Recruit QUALITY IITs
- Be professional, but not too formal (i.e., develop a community)
     - This means quality over formality
     - having a professional looking shoot doesn't mean it is a meaningful experience for participants
     - become friends with your shooters, develop positive relationships.
-Be inspirational, make sure this program is more than just a marksmanship program... this will take special work to make sure we are communicating our extra special message

If you have other ideas about how you can fit into the above topics, post it below.  We especially need help with promotional adventures.  

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Whisker on February 22, 2010, 02:17:48 PM
Meeting Minutes

Attending:
VMT193
Javaguy
Sven
Aftermath
Whisker

2010 SHOOT SCHEDULING STUFF

Scheduling of April 17-18
Rochester
Vmt193 (SB)
Kevin?
Craig K.?

Elk River
Joe308
Joel Coles
Sven
Whisker (SB)

Duluth
Aftermath (SB)
Javaguy
Brassbucket
(need one more red hat for 2nd bay)

May 8-9 at Oakdale Gun Club
-Sven has turned in the EIP and soon to do Host Application
-Should be on schedule soon

Minneapolis Rifle Club (in Saint Francis, MN)
-Sven has joined this club
-has a 400 yard range
-wants to schedule an october Full Distance Mini Appleseed
-Sven'll work on that
-The sooner this can be confirmed, the better.  We need to promote ourselves as a full distance program while being one.  

Becker, MN Home Range
-Joe308 is willing to construct a home range on his property
-GO FOR IT
-most likely 25m only
-has a equipment to make berm...
-Work day?  Joe308- chime in and give us a date to help you

Minnesota is looking at over 13 shoots for 2010... over three times last year's capacity
- Winona, Oakdale and Henderson will be added to schedule soon.  
-  Possibly other locations.  Keep an eye/ear out for Western MN or medium-size city/town ranges (Mankato, Moorhead, Bemidji, ect)

PROMOTIONS
Minnesota Weapons Collectors Gun Show
- State Fairgrounds - Colosseum - March 20-21
-Mailed in paperwork and check ($55) on Monday, Feb 22 (pay Whisker back a chunk)
-Should still have tables open
-Whisker will set up either saturday morning or friday night
Saturday Opens at 8am
Whisker
Aftermath
Sven (till noon)
Sunday Opens at 9am
Javaguy
Vmt193
-This will reach A LOT of shooters from all over the state to help fill our shoots.  Network and make contacts.
-Print off promotional materials and bring.

Home Schoolers
Javaguy will lead the charge in promoting with the Home Schooling community
http://www.homeschoolers.org/
http://www.mache.org/
http://www.homeschoolinginminnesota.com/support/supportgroups/localgroups.aspx

Radio
People who listen to radio should call in a lot to plug Appleseed
Whisker will work on Twin Cities so called "liberal" media such as Minnesota NPR and KFAI
Sven and VMT gots the so called "conservative" media
be tactful and careful.  

Press Releases
Whisker will draft a template press release.  This should be sent to all local radio stations and news papers before shoot.
Think of contacts you may have in the media.  Think of people to send press releases to.  

Posters/Fliers
-Minnesota Promotional materials can be found here:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10924.0
-Aftermath: are you making a MN only multishoot flyer?
-Print a stack, keep them in your car with a roll of tape and every time you go into a gas station/grocery store, post them.  Do not care if recruiting possibility seems low.  Posters give a visual recognition.  They may ignore it once, but if they see a poster after a metion of Appleseed, or see another poster, they'll stop and read it.  This is a constant effort.  

MAIN GOALS FOR 2010
- Recruit QUALITY IITs
- Be professional, but not too formal (i.e., develop a community)
     - This means quality over formality
     - having a professional looking shoot doesn't mean it is a meaningful experience for participants
     - become friends with your shooters, develop positive relationships.
-Be inspirational, make sure this program is more than just a marksmanship program... this will take special work to make sure we are communicating our extra special message

If you have other ideas about how you can fit into the above topics, post it below.  We especially need help with promotional adventures.  

I guess that's one bennefit of a college edumacation; you learn to take great notes!
(mine consisted of nothing more than a few words, scribbles and doodles....)
Yes, I should have the MN, flyer done by the end of the week...
If not; feel free to use the clown-bat! &)

This meeting was a great idea!
I found it rewarding and we should definately do this again!
Sometime after the Pat's Day shoot would be great.
Hopefully, by then we need a larger venue! ;)