News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Last Minute Flyer Help Please

Started by techres, January 29, 2010, 02:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

I want to roll these out at an event..... tomorrow.  Yeah, umm, last minute.  So be it.

Anyways, other than the typo in my own name (how embarrassing), can I get some quick constructive criticism on these so that I can get them printed out before end of day.  These are going to be tri-folded obviously.

I can sideline these if they are that far wrong.  But otherwise I would like to get them functional and ready for a big IN gun event that we will have a table & red/orange hats at.

Thanks for the help guys:

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Stimey

This is a very, very good job.  I would be interested enough by this pamphlet to learn more, and that is the whole purpose.  However, I will offer my recommendations.

I would re-word the opening sentence to say, "The Appleseed Program is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is dedicated to the teaching of American heritage, history, and traditional marksmanship skills."

The third paragraph is a bit awkward.  I would word it thusly:  "The blood, fear, mistakes, and heartbreaking separations are all brought to life over our two days of instruction, as are the fundamental choices faced by the first Americans, which ultimately led to an organized rebellion that became the Revolutionary War."  This is personal preference, but I would always stress that the colonists were faced with only two options, death or tyranny, and they CHOSE to risk a third option, which was liberty.

First paragraph under RIFLE CLINIC: BECOMING A RIFLEMAN -- Use "and" instead of "&"

Third paragraph under WHAT IS YOUR FUTURE? -- "You will begin to see our direction forward once you see where we have come from.  You will begin to learn the internal methods of change once you begin to learn the external skills of the marksmanship."

I am very impressed with the structure here.  On one side of the page, there is the description of the history and heritage, while on the other side, the marksmanship is discussed.  The challenge section to attend is on the back.  Despite my grammar and syntax recommendations (comes from being an English teacher once upon a time), this is a very good pamphlet and would like to use it as a model for North Carolina's when we develop our own.

Stimey
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

hawkhavn

Great job! A few nother minor quibbles, in the 'who attends free' section, strike soldiers and add Military, wouldn't want to exclude anyone accidentally.
Also, around the schedule area, something like 'More shoots added throughout the year'

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

J Jessup

Joshua:

That looks great!  Very colorful photos.   O0

Question though, I didn't know police shot for free.  If so, I suggest the term, Law Enforcement Officers or LEO, they will know what that means.

Jess

Garand69

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

techres

Quote from: Garand69 on January 29, 2010, 01:01:12 PM
Looks Very Sharp.  O0

Thanks!

I have finished the three flyers I wanted to roll out.  They are done (enough) for tomorrow.  If anyone is interested in using them, I can send a PM with the .pdf version of them (I can also make ready for other states, or generic for national if anyone wants):

Appleseed, Indiana (tri-fold) -

Ft. Stewart -

Women & Appleseed -

techres

P.S. all older copies have been pulled and will not show in previous threads.

Garand69

Doesn't that beat all! One of our Illinois Ladies makes the cut for your fine flyer.... AND SHE'S WEARING A WISCONSIN SHIRT!!! !@#) This has to be Old Glory!'s fault!!!

S'moreChick your grounded, and no soup TWO WEEKS!!!

:D
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Fred

Quote from: techres on January 30, 2010, 10:19:34 PM
I have finished the three flyers I wanted to roll out.  They are done (enough) for tomorrow.  If anyone is interested in using them, I can send a PM with the .pdf version of them (I can also make ready for other states, or generic for national if anyone wants):

techres

techres, don't know how or where you've been hiding out the last year on this site (the Official Investigation will provide the names and dates :) ), but you've just moved up a notch or two in this outfit. (What was it your mother taught you? "Never stick up above the crowd"? Too late!)

How about doing a 'generic' version of each of these for repro at the national level, and we'll start getting these out at gun shows.

On the 'women' one, I suggest another pic for the front page (Bill 3 will kill me!) because of the background of junk plastic barrels. (If others don't see it as a problem, and/or we can't find a better photo, no problem.)

Also on that one, Old Glory's account is missing quote marks, except for the first para.

(Naturally, we want to proof these babies 110%, as I'd like to print them by the hundred thousand...)

Once again, great job! O0 O0 O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Big H

Quote from: Fred on February 07, 2010, 01:27:32 AM
    How about doing a 'generic' version of each of these for repro at the national level, and we'll start getting these out at gun shows.

On the 'women' one, I suggest another pic for the front page (Bill 3 will kill me!) because of the background of junk plastic barrels. (If others don't see it as a problem, and/or we can't find a better photo, no problem.)
I don't see the "women" front page photo as a problem, but if you want another pic, how about

or
or

Bill 3

Let's not forget this thread:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10790.msg89144#msg89144

I agree that the barrels are a bit unsightly but a common feature at ranges.  I don't really care who the photo is of and don't have a problem with Amber being in literature of this type.  Once the barrels get 1984'd, the next problem is... See above link....

I however am concerned about taking PC too far.  See Fred - didn't kill you ;)

I still don't have mauve in my vocabulary and you'll never see an Obama Biden logo on an ammo can of mine.  Yes, the scary military style rifle is painted.  In fact, it just got an update to include the sight.

Big H - the picture with dinky and the one with "Abby Oakley" are great!

Done belly achin', just got home from a long weekend and am tired. 

$.02

- WRWIII
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Big H

Quote from: Fred on February 07, 2010, 01:27:32 AM
     (Naturally, we want to proof these babies 110%, as I'd like to print them by the hundred thousand...)
Proofreading for National First Flyer:

The national return address should be info@appleseedinfo.org instead of IN@appleseedinfo.org

Under "How do I Start?": Please note that Women, Children, Police and Military attend for free. Loaner rifles and ammo are available with advanced notice.
Should be: Please note that Women, Children, Active Military, Guard and Reserve attend for free. Loaner rifles and ammo may be available with advance notice.

Under "Heritage: April 19, 1775": The Appleseed Program is a 503(c)(3) non-for profit organization ...
Should be: The Appleseed Program is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization ...

The "2010 Spring & Summer Schedule*" column will need to be changed to something else, since you can't list all the national shoots in this space.

Scout

Techres, I have to echo Fred on his observation. There will be an investigation into where you have been all this time ;)

But, I can already tell you what the answer will be. Techres saw what many of the top producing members see after a period in the program. That this is an amazingly worthwhile project and may be the actual thing that turns the direction of this nation around. That this is a program that is worthy of their full attention and efforts and he turned his switch to the full on position.

This is something every one of us can do, and when we do, these are the jewels (men and projects) that are produced. And I am not saying folks are not working, I am saying when you make the conscious decision to put this program in the front page position on your to do list, things change quickly for you and for the program.

Your own local program will get a huge charge and the national program will get another rising start in the ranks. :) ;)

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

techres

Thanks guys, been around since 2006 but Hawkhavn's been keeping me busy.   ~~:) ....  :o  .....  ;)

As for the women's flyers, I had another pic I considered first because it had both a young lady shooter and an older woman shooter:

BUT the AR becomes enormous.  I really did want an AR in the pic as a challenge to the stereotype of women and "dangerous" firearms.  I have pictures from 2007-2009 and have a few to pic from and probably have another one I can use.  The pic on the front needs to have a face in it and not a back turned on the viewer.  I am good with whatever works on the national level if the AR's are a no go for the states still living under bans.  (My strong preference is to keep a ugly black gun in the ad somewhere to keep the EBR/UBG internet crowd interested if at all possible).

The PDF's were handed over to Bill 3 and should be somewhere on the site if not in this thread.  I can make changes at work when the boss is not looking or after hours.  Keep any edit requests coming and I can run the changes.

I would also mention that TX has a really amazing tri-fold for their shoots that blows mine away if we want to develop that one too.

Do we need to move this thread/discussion to a "Flyers" board for anyone who does not have access to the IN board?  If so, say the word.

YHJ contacted the HT to get permission for use of their article and looks to be almost done with getting this finished in a way that won't come back to haunt us.

The next obvious flyers we need are these:

1. "What the Experts are Saying about Appleseed":  Chris Nash, Mas Ayoob, etc.  Just Quotes and pics - this would obviously need to be vetted and permissions given.  Obviously.

2. "Appleseed and the Military": We need to have a flyer ready to go within hours of the WSMR event ending.  If we are poised this time, we will have better effect. 

3. "Appleseed: A Growing Movement": Might be useful as a way to talk about who we are with a bit more depth, talk about growth, size, and our future.  "Appleseed at 5" is all wrong, but the basic idea.  The other flyers are for gaining interest in the event.  This would be about bringing people into the program.  My mind is less clear on this flyer, perhaps it is for passing onto orange hat potentials and include what their requirements are.  Perhaps it is for handing to business and industry supporters so they can see what helping us would bring them.  Perhaps it is for the local gun store owner so he can understand how we can help him.  I am not sure, but there is something here to work out.

Anyways, these flyers are heavily plug and play so modifying them is easy.  Just let me know what works and we will get it done.

Techres

J Jessup

Quote from: techres on February 08, 2010, 05:10:22 PM
Thanks guys, been around since 2006 but Hawkhavn's been keeping me busy.   ~~:) ....  :o  .....  ;)

As for the women's flyers, I had another pic I considered first because it had both a young lady shooter and an older woman shooter:

BUT the AR becomes enormous.  I really did want an AR in the pic as a challenge to the stereotype of women and "dangerous" firearms. 
Techres

I agree with the above, two generations and taking the edge of the AR, by feminizing it.  Why not hit this head on.  I think the wind has changed concerning guns and this is a good opportunity to help the trend along.  And, ARs are excellent firearms for ladies, light, adjustable and low recoil.  Two cents added.   ;)

Jess

Big H

Official AS Policy: under 21, active military (including reserves and guard), and women are free.
Police/Law Enforcement Officers/LEO are NOT FREE.  @&)

Please correct the brochures to make sure they reflect AS Policy.  &)
This also applies to other regions and states looking to adapt this brochure.

Now keep calm and carry on the excellent job of promoting AS.  O0

techres

Quote from: Big H on February 09, 2010, 03:08:27 PM
Official AS Policy: under 21, active military (including reserves and guard), and women are free.
Police/Law Enforcement Officers/LEO are NOT FREE.  @&)

Please correct the brochures to make sure they reflect AS Policy.  &)
This also applies to other regions and states looking to adapt this brochure.

Now keep calm and carry on the excellent job of promoting AS.  O0

My mistake!  Will fix them asap.

techres

Bill 3

Current flyers from techres attached.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

RifleWoman

The flier is great, only problem I see right off is the lady getting a rifleman patch for shooting a classification AQT and we don't award rifleman patches for anything but an AQT Q&D AQT or full distance AQT.  It might give people the wrong idea.
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

SamD

Just one other thing.
How about a format that ordinary mortals can edit and use?

Old Glory!

Quote from: techres on February 08, 2010, 05:10:22 PM

Anyways, these flyers are heavily plug and play so modifying them is easy.  Just let me know what works and we will get it done.

Techres

Techres,
The flyers are GREAT tools! 

I just printed a black and white version (low fundage printing ::)) of the Ft. Stewart flyer.   GREAT flyer. O0 :bow:

Sgt. Rinehardt's quote, first page, bottom left, probably reads well in color.  However, in a b & w version his quote is almost impossible to read.  Since this is the only direct quote we have from the Guard, I believe it is important.    Everything looks so balanced and great, so I hate to even suggest it.  Can this be tweaked?

OG
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion