News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tim Murphy DAR 2010 shoot Dates

Started by Cowdog, January 08, 2010, 04:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowdog

I checked both the Ohio and PA schedules, and came up with the following dates for 2010 in Slippery Rock. I tried to avoid both Ohio shoot dates and PA ones. I would appreciate all input on these before Mooney finalizes.

May 8/9
June 5/6
July 10/11
August 7/8
September 4/5 (Labor Day weekend)
October 2/3 

I will cross post this on the Ohio board, since they provide most of the staffing here. I would love to see some more Pa instructors come out here in 2010.
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

MeanStreaker

The Buckeye state is happy to help when we can!  However, you probably can't count on us to provide most of the staffing this year as I'm pushing our schedule to the brink and plan to have an Ohio shoot basically every weekend of 2010 from March through November.  Right now we have 20 on the schedule and are only halfway there in scheduling dates.

We're happy to help where we can and everyone knows that Appleseeders from all states won't let an event get canceled for lack of Instructors....

But I'm confident PA can step up their recruitment of Orange Hats and get them trained up to quality standards!

O0
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Spanner

No conflicts with N. WV that I know of.  Looking forward!

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

mooney

Cowdog, are these confirmed and can I send in the EIP info for them if you have not already done so?

Mooney
PA State Coordinator

Quote from: Cowdog on January 08, 2010, 04:23:20 PM
I checked both the Ohio and PA schedules, and came up with the following dates for 2010 in Slippery Rock. I tried to avoid both Ohio shoot dates and PA ones. I would appreciate all input on these before Mooney finalizes.

May 8/9
June 5/6
July 10/11
August 7/8
October 2/3 

I will cross post this on the Ohio board, since they provide most of the staffing here. I would love to see some more Pa instructors come out here in 2010.
Mooney

EZ3

I have the dates on my calendar.  Except for 5/9 they all look good for me.  Will have two more dates in Beaver Falls by the middle of Feb.  Besides the Tim Murphy shoots, any other dates I should try to avoid?
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Spanner

Any estimates on when Slippery Rock dates will be official?  I want to include them on a local flier intended for the I-79 corridor (Washington - Morgantown - Clarksburg) that runs south of Pittsburgh.  (Yes, Meanstreaker, I have included pertinent OH events... and seem to be adding more all the time!  O0 ).

MeanStreaker

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Fred

Quote from: MeanStreaker on January 08, 2010, 04:50:16 PM
...However, you probably can't count on us to provide most of the staffing this year as I'm pushing our schedule to the brink and plan to have an Ohio shoot basically every weekend of 2010 from March through November...

We're happy to help where we can and everyone knows that Appleseeders from all states won't let an event get canceled for lack of Instructors....

But I'm confident PA can step up their recruitment of Orange Hats and get them trained up to quality standards!

O0

Which means, Cowdog, you set up as many shoots as you can - as a DAR, your goal is 12 a year - and don't worry about "instructors" or about "competing" with any "nearby locations" - set 'em up, and let's give people an opportunity to come check out your place.

O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Cowdog

Hey all, the dates as originally proposed to were sent to Mooney. I assume from there they go to Savage Shooter.

Fred-

12 a year is a little tough due to the location of the DAR on my farm. The road to the range turns to muck due to snow melt. I am working with a local club to serve as a Winter AS home around here (Slippery Rock Sportsmans Club). In fact, I would like to host the May 8/9 AS there.
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Big H

Quote from: Cowdog on January 08, 2010, 04:23:20 PM

May 8/9
June 5/6
July 10/11
August 7/8
October 2/3 

OK it's March 1st, the June through Oct Cowdog shoots are not on the official AS schedule, where are we with these shoots?  ???
And what about the May Sportsman Club shoot, any progress?  @@)

Cowdog

QuoteOK it's March 1st, the June through Oct Cowdog shoots are not on the official AS schedule, where are we with these shoots?  ???
And what about the May Sportsman Club shoot, any progress?  @@)

Per the previous post, I agreed to dates.
June 5/6
July 10/11
August 7/8
October 2/3  

My understanding is that the Pa coordinator sends them to Savage Shooter? I sent them to the Mooney on Muster night. If this is wrong, let me know ASAP so I can move on it.

The Slippery Rock Sportsmans Club has unoffically agreed to May 8/9. Tonight they will take official action and I will meet with an officer later this week to fill out the paperwork to send to Mooney or Whoever- is in charge

B9

Has anyone called Mooney to see whats up? Could be he sent the EIP in, thought he sent it, sent it and it never got to Savage, etc etc. First place to start would be talking to him.

I just called him....left msg.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

mooney

Sorry folks, I'm not getting my email notifications for posts to the PA Forum anymore, not sure why. Anyway I thought I sent these over to SS already, but I may have started to and got distracted and didn't finish. I'll submit them now.

Thanks for the call B9, sorry I didn't hear the phone ring, but got your message.

Feel free to give me a little nudge any time you guys want to. I'm working 2 jobs now and I get very little time online these days. Doing what i can. If I'm not doing my job as well as needed/expected please feel free to let me know. My feelings won't be hurt as I want to make sure PA is getting the attention it needs. If there someone who has more time to contribute I will relinquish my post and play BOTG with the time I have.

Mooney

My number for harassing calls any time of the day or night :-) - 7175806151
Mooney

mooney

OK, FYI, I just submitted the dates to SS. They should be on the schedule soon.

Thanks again for the nudge.

Mooney
PA SC
Mooney

Big H

Quote from: mooney on March 02, 2010, 06:20:41 PM
Feel free to give me a little nudge any time you guys want to. I'm working 2 jobs now and I get very little time online these days. Doing what i can.

Beaver Falls and Slippery Rock are both on the schedule now. Thanks for your service, we appreciate you helping out!  O0

dwarven1

Quote from: Cowdog on March 02, 2010, 05:50:48 PM
Per the previous post, I agreed to dates.
June 5/6
July 10/11
August 7/8
October 2/3

Hey, guys? I was just reading the schedule and noticed that there's a shoot scheduled for the first weekend in August. You DO realize that the August 7/8 weekend at Slippery Rock is smack dab in the middle of the Pennsic War, right? Finding camping space that weekend is going to be a horror show, and you can FORGET about Cooper's Lake Campground during Pennsic unless you're a SCAdian.  ;)

In fact, I'm not even sure how easy it'll be to find motel space; I seem to recall that there are a lot of SCAdians who don't like to camp who "motel camp". (for those who haven't heard of the SCA, Pennsic is a 2+ week long medieval "reenactment" held at Cooper's Lake Camground in August - IIRC, the campground is reserved exclusively for SCA folk and from what I understand, in recent years the campers have been spilling over to area campgrounds as Cooper's Lake isn't big enough for the 14,000+ attendees). (Yeah, I used to attend... spent many an August there, broiling under the PA sun in full armor)
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Cowdog

dwarven,
I live about 5 miles north of Cooper's lake and have been lifelong friends with Dave. the Pennsic is indeed a circus. However there has been a substantial increase in area hotel capacity due to the growth of the Outlet Mall at Grove City (Next exit North) . There is also a KOA near Grove City, and Rose Point campground to the south. So far, nobody has commercially camped for an AS here.

That said, feel free to shift August if the group agrees.   

Spanner

June 5-6 at the Tim Murphy DAR.  Only one week away, guys!  There is still room on the line!

Gumby

This is Matt from the Beaver Valley shoot and the other Slippery Rock Shoot.  Can't wait.  This time ive convinced some my friends to come and join in on the fun.    And the shoot still starts at 8:30     but we just cant shoot until 9  right?

Chrome

Quote from: Gumby on May 28, 2010, 11:16:54 AM
This is Matt from the Beaver Valley shoot and the other Slippery Rock Shoot.  Can't wait.  This time ive convinced some my friends to come and join in on the fun.    And the shoot still starts at 8:30     but we just cant shoot until 9  right?

Matt, great to hear you're going to be there.  I'll be making the trip up myself.  See you there!

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Spanner

Quote from: Gumby on May 28, 2010, 11:16:54 AM

Gumby!   **)  I love it!

I'm on my way out the door and don't have an answer to the 9:00 question. 

PM me if you need anything (like an extra big spatula to pry people off of their couches with) and I'm looking forward to seeing you all.

Cowdog

Look forward to seeing you here Gumby!
I am unsure about the 9:00 question. There is not restriction at my range. When I first looked at shoots here, I was going to refrain from shooting on Sunday during services at two nearby churches, but the site is isolated enough that sound does not seem to be a nuisance.

EZ3

"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy