News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ideas to help Adaptive shooters.

Started by desertrat144, December 21, 2009, 11:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertrat144

As more folks show up at Appleseed Shoots, they will have positioning problems along sighting, alignment, breath control &tc. the issues that shooters without adaptive needs experience.  Long Rifle and CarrieB were kind enough to let us link up with their Little Things To Help Shooters thread. There are multiple topics- all well worth reading.  

The Instructor Teaching Techniques/Tips Board by Long Rifle, check Posts 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 on CarrieB's thread, which is laced with tips that would help with adaptive needs and are relevant to all teaching and learning styles.
Thank you Long Rifle and CarrieB!  

For a general idea of how to help, but you are not quite sure how... see Announcing Adaptive Appleseed, a work in progress! Reply #12 (December 25, 2009)
Thank you nyrasgt!

For a down & dirty quick solution to making 'sand bags' without the weight to help with positioning see:  Announcing Adaptive Appleseed, a work in progress! Reply #11 (December 25, 2009) at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10989.msg90566.
Thank you SamD

For those of us that are temperature sensitive, check out Inclimate [weather] training - what do you do? at: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11551.0;topicseen
Thank you gliming

Another thread Equipment for Shooting in the Cold Firewall99 is running at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4527.0;topicseen has some great Cold weathertips & techniques.  Check it out!
Thank you Firewall99

For Trigger control issues and techniques, other than a pen, visit http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11570.0;topicseen for some ideas.
Thank you Sprocket

To those visitors to this Board, if you have stumbled across any shooting tips please add to the list, or PM me.  The only way this is going to work is by regular updating.

THX,
desertrat144
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

desertrat144

There are more posts of interest at Little Things To Help Shooters, some solutions that are simply elegant in their simplicity. 

I'm going to have to start a topic index at this rate!  ;D

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

desertrat144

Dear Readers,

Thanks for stopping by.  If you have come or stumbled across an item that you think would fit here, please feel free to post it!

Thanks in advance,
Tom

desertrat144

Need a source of targets that you tailor make to your specific needs?  If you do, visit Printable 11x17 PDF Practice AQT at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13731.msg117418#msg117418.

Thanks to NHale for doing the scaleing work.

Tom

Gopher Boy

Something that I pointed out at a shoot recently was the idea of unintentional exclusion and just how easy it can happen.

We had a shooter that was wheel chair bound.  At time I found that we were centering up as we normally do in the center of the line.  He had issues at time with the terrain on the range and would sit at the very outside.  Something as simple as having the instructor move closer to this shooter and calling for center up makes certain that we don't accidentally exclude someone.

On Sunday the SB asked him to move the the center of the line.

At the Saturday night meeting I was quick to point out that it's the little things that we may not notice that will truly have the greatest effect with most shooters.

Go those movie fans...  Rule 34   ;D

Quote" ...it's the little things that we may not notice that will truly have the greatest effect with most shooters.
You hit it dead on.  THX, dr144

dwarven1

Quote from: Gopher Boy on June 02, 2010, 01:37:59 PMWe had a shooter that was wheel chair bound.  At time I found that we were centering up as we normally do in the center of the line.  He had issues at time with the terrain on the range and would sit at the very outside.  Something as simple as having the instructor move closer to this shooter and calling for center up makes certain that we don't accidentally exclude someone.

On Sunday the SB asked him to move the the center of the line.

We had a shooter at the Leyden shoot who was wheelchair bound. He shot the whole shoot in a cross-legged seated position. He was stationed right at the center of the line, and our instructors would stand right near him so he could always see and hear what was being taught. (this wasn't his first AS, btw... and he's signed up for Pelham, too, for this weekend. We'll get him over the 200 mark and then give him an orange hat...)

To check targets, Saturday I loaned him a set of 10x binoculars and I'd "talk" to him from at the target. (Sunday someone loaned him a spotting scope). He was watching me and the target so we didn't have any problems. We also cleared the line with him on his mat - you do what you have to to work with the shooters.

Thanks for the extra help, and a special tip of the hat to the instructors that went the extra mile in positioning themselves to relay instructions & history.  dr144
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

desertrat144