News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

"American Rifle - A Biography" by Alexander Rose

Started by gunville, November 30, 2009, 08:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunville

I thought I posted on this book a couple of weeks ago but can't locate the post:  any how...

This is by the author of "Washington's Spies", Alexander Rose.

It is a historic review of the rifle in American history.

-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

gunville

I thought this is worth noting from the book.  Often our history lessons touch on the accuracy - or inaccuracy of British fire at Concord North Bridge and on Battle Road.

"As muskets became more common (so to speak) and remained instruments designed for indiscriminate use against faceless masses one hundred or more yards distant, the commanders' mental link between unsoldirely conduct and the use of firearms was transferred to the rifle exclusively.  Indeed, quite a few connaders were adamant that their men, even those armed with muskets, should not aim at all [Author's emphasis] for fear of appearing unsporting."

"For decades training handbuuoks insisted that soldiers should merely "level" their muskets and "pull the trigger briskly" or "jerk the trigger smartly" - a habit that would cause many a bullet to overshoot the heads of the enemy. They even admonished the soldier to close his eyes as he fired."

"...the devastating losses  suffered by the British at the Battle of Bunker Hill would be sniffily attributed to the unfortunate American habit of "taking sight" and pull the trigger slowly to reduce movement"
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

lysander6

American Rifle: A Biography also understands the philosophy behind the inscription which a Yale class had inscribed onto a Sharps rifle which they presented to a local infantry captain before the Civil War:

"Ultima Ratio Liberarum" - "the final argument in liberty".
Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...