News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Francis Marion - Swamp Fox November 7-8, 1780

Started by Old Glory!, November 07, 2009, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

Many Appleseeders are on the firing line today :~
A handful of WI Appleseeders are in Oconomowoc at a Freedom Conference. :~
For Appleseeders at home (or work ::)) here is a satisfying lesson about Francis Marion on this day in history. :)

Confrontation at Richbourg's Mill   (Tuesday, November 7, 1780) 
      Site is on the Furse Branch just west of Jack's Creek.
      Colonel Banestre Tarleton with the Green Dragoons left Charleston to hunt down General Marion.  Tarleton went to the late General Richardson's home, bivouacked and lit several huge fires.  General Marion, attracted by the light, began scouting the area.  Mrs. Richardson sent he son Richard to warn Marion.  When Marion learned of the ambush Tarleton had prepared he quickly withdrew to the east of Jack's Creek, most likely to the area near Richbourg's mill and plantation.

Chase to Ox Swamp   (Wednesday, November 8, 1780)
      Upon learning from a Tory spy that General Marion slipped back east of Jack's Creek, Tarleton gave chase with the Green Dragoons.  Marion, staying just ahead of the dragoons, and fighting a series of delaying actions with his rear guard, rode to the head of Jack's Creek, Sammy Swamp and then down the Pocotaligo and finally slipped away into Ox Swamp.  Here Tarleton gave up the chase and said "as for the old fox, the devil himself could not catch him."  Thus, General Francis Marion became known as the "Swamp Fox".  Marion and his men continued east to Benbow's Ferry on the Black river where he had established the ambush for the British. 

taken from:
http://web.ftc-i.net/~gcsummers/index.html.htm

Note to South Carolina Appleseeders (DwayneH O0, are you speaking at this?  @@)): 
General Francis Marion Memorial Day in 27 February 2010.
Plan to Come February 26-27, 2010: 9th Annual Victory along the Santee River with Francis Marion
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

DuaneRN

I realize that some Instructors don't consider this a valid excuse, but I have a job that interferes with my life.  I am working that weekend of the Francis Marion;  however, I am trying to find another job or two that allows me more freedom to do the things I want to do.  Like Appleseed.