News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A shoot in every county?

Started by B9, October 15, 2009, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Not to be outdone by Illinois, here is a list of NY counties. The ones in red have Appleseed shoots. The rest need them. Now the NYC counties are going to be tough, nearly impossible, but not completely impossible.

How about a little game to see which state gets to the mission goal first.

62 total counties. 12 down, 50 to go.

New York State Counties    

Albany
Allegany
Broome
Cattaraugus
Cayuga
Chautauqua
Chemung
Chenango
Clinton
Columbia
Cortland
Delaware
Dutchess
Erie
Essex
Franklin
Fulton
Genesee
Greene
Hamilton
Herkimer
Jefferson
Lewis
Livingston
Madison
Monroe
Montgomery
Nassau  Pending
Niagara
Oneida
Onondaga
Ontario
Orange
Orleans
Oswego
Otsego
Putnam
Rensselaer pending
Rockland
Saratoga
Schenectady
Schoharie
Schuyler
Seneca
St Lawrence
Steuben
Suffolk
Sullivan
Tioga
Tompkins
Ulster
Warren
Washington
Wayne
Westchester
Wyoming
Yates

New York City Counties

Bronx
Kings
New York
Queens
Richmond

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Josey Wales

..Wow this is heavy..We have a ton of work to do..
..Is it true that slow and steady wins the race?, or do we need to expand like yesterday?..
..We need to find a way to make all the indoor pistol rages work in our favor. As far as distance and positioning ect..
..Can it be done or is it unacceptable?..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Another D.O.M.

I'll be working on Albany and Schenectady counties.  And with some help from nyrasgt Warren as well.  I don't really have any contacts in Greene at this point but know some folks there as well.

This could be a productive 'off-season'...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Garand69

Can it be done??? Absolutly it can be done, and Josey Wales hits it on the head....Indoor Ranges!!!  O0

Illinois has some of the fun "BS" NY has to deal with, we just need to adapt that's all.

I have an indoor range in my sights in DuPage Co. IL (next door to Cook/Chicago). If I work it right, I'm hoping to book a few Winter Appleseeds. They will be a bit unorthodox due to time constraints, but they will be full Appleseeds, not mini's. Instead of a 2 day (8hr day) shoot, it may be a 4-6 day affair that depending on time constraints will be a (4)4hr days or even  (6)2 1/2hr days), either way, an AS will occur in a County previously thought impossible.

Just some food for thought NY O0

PS, you already have a head start with only 62 total counties to begin with!!!  **)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Fred

Quote from: ..Josey Wales.. on October 15, 2009, 10:37:03 PM
..Is it true that slow and steady wins the race?, or do we need to expand like yesterday?..

While it's true people say "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast", I can't resist that notion of expanding "like yesterday"... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Josey Wales

..Thank you for the response's guys, I would like to start at Nassau County Uniondale Indoor range.  I will contact them.  The web site says 5-30 yards. 30 yards equals 27.4 meters, that works.  I just wonder how we will work target hanging.  It is a metal cloths line on a wheel that sits high, around 5 ft.  and the walls are cement block and the back drop is a sand hill.  The line is only 5 slots accross but there are 6 separate rooms to total 30 slots. You know it is really ment for pistol but I will get information first hand when I talk to who is in charge. So that means if we have more than 5 shooters we need 2 rooms.. I know it sounds strange..Then I know a spot in Manhattan and thats where the kings thrown is, you all know its mayor doomburg I am talking about. Who in his campaign radio commercial says how he took on the NRA to combat gun violence.?. If sombody can figure what that statement means let me know please, because last time I checked the NRA and gun violence have nothing in common..What a dope..
..I know Staten Island has an outdoor range too, just remember friends that in the 5 Boroughs it is illegal to posses a 10 round magazine..5 round yes, more than 5, no.. Lots of obstacles in my home town Appleseed neighbors, thats why I love to go upstate........but I will learn all the NYC rules and make sure I exercise every one of my firearms rights.. and use the hell out of these rules and rights..I have been on this path before I joined Appleseed and I continue to still learn..Just some food for thought..Good Night...............JW..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

gunville

Indoor ranges would be terrific - allow the NY team to run AS through the winter, especially in upstate NY.

But do many exist?  I'm not aware of any more than 50 feet (and they only began allowing rimfire rifle a couple of years ago)

An 83 foot (25meter) indoor range seems to be a rare commodity.

Is the idea to reduce target size again?
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

nyrasgt

GV et. al.,
   From coaching my school's now disestablished scholastic team 84-00, am aware of a number of indoor facilities that might be usable for AS, if they can be approached and sold on the idea...some would be more "challenging" than others...
   1)  USMA @West Point has, bar none, the finest facility in NYS:  3 separate, 24 point ranges for, respectively, rifle, pistol, and airgun.  ALL ranges are equipped for electronic scoring @ some $4500 per firing point...your tax dollars at work.  That said, the Academy (and their coach, Maj. Ron Wigger [yes, Olympic gold medalist Lones Wigger's son]) is EXTREMELY protective of their facility.  While not completely out of the question, I suspect the idea of civilian, brand new shooters would cause them significant problems.  HOWEVER, inviting Cadets, or Maj. Wigger, to observe the addressing of safety at an Appleseed shoot MIGHT (or might not) help convince them.  Or not.
  2)  Saraspa (AS 9/19-20/09) has 8-10 indoor, 75 ft firing points and might actually reach 82 ft...
  3)  Watervliet Fish and Game has, if I remember correctly, 10-12 points on their indoor range (and an outdoor range of 1000 [one thousand] yds!!!).
  4)  Iroquois R&GC in Rotterdam has 8-12 points on their indoor range - very active w. NRA and Junior shoots.
  5)  Hudson Falls F&G has 8 x 50 ft points.
  6)  Dunham's Bay F&GC (just south of Lake George) does not have an indoor range, but does have 25+ covered outdoor firing points - very active  w. bench rest shooting - for future, better-weather reference.
  7)  Have PMed Josey Wales re investigating the Nassau County Rifle and Pistol Range, next to the Nassau Coliseum and administered by the Nassau Couty Dept of Parks and Recreation.  This is a large (30 firing points, indoors, @ 5 - 30 yds!) indoor range.  The 2009 NYS Scholastic Rifle Championships were held there last March when West Point had a scheduling conflict.
  8)  There are, also in the Albany area, two semi-military private schools, Christian Brothers Academy (which used to have an outstanding rifle team) and LaSalle Institute.  The military science departments of these two schools also might be approached with the idea of gauging interest, both of the officers and non-coms who teach at the schools, and the students, who also would have a vested interest in both strands of the Appleseed program.
  There are some 5-6 more clubs that I know of,  that compete in indoor rifle and pistol leagues, and certainly many others, as well.
  We might not be able to have large numbers seen in better weather, but I bet Saraspa, Burlington Flats, and other ranges might accommodate 1020 shooters at a time; certainly worth investigating.
  With the idea of crawl, walk, run (or just run, Fred), we might look at both a short-term, i.e., between now and Spring, 2010, plan, and a longer-range, more comprehensive campaign.
   Comments, B9 and ADOM?  Anyone else?
Excelsior,
mad
nyrasgt

"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Vergeltung

those are some great ideas for sure.

Chris Bennett

Sporterifle is a sport that is .22LR shooting, Offhand at 50'
Here is a list of clubs that participate in the program. It's a fair guess that any of the clubs listed on this site have a 50' Indoor Range that allows rimfire rifle. I'm not sure which of them have backstops suitable for prone, but it's a start...
http://www.sporterifle.org/sporterifle/clubs/nys.htm

Also, http://www.wnybullseye.com/?page_id=7 has Clubs local to the buffalo area with indoor ranges.

Again, most of these are 50' ranges, and would require a modified target reduced to correct proportions.

Another D.O.M.

Thanks a bunch Chris - this should be very helpful for our planning of indoor Appleseeds; and may also open the doors for outdoor shoots as well!
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

B9

Updated.
Added Washington county.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Updated.
Added Nassau County.

Event is pending final EIP paperwork but should go through.
For you non NYers Nassau is as close to NYC as we have ever been. Maybe Mayor Bloomberg himself will attend.

Josey Wales is heading this up. 
Medea Benjamin

Vergeltung

Nickle

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on October 16, 2009, 12:04:48 AM
I'll be working on Albany and Schenectady counties.  And with some help from nyrasgt Warren as well.  I don't really have any contacts in Greene at this point but know some folks there as well.

This could be a productive 'off-season'...

Get us in the range in Colonie, the one just off NY 155, just below the Thruway.

The 1000 yard range.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

B9

Quote from: Vergeltung on January 14, 2010, 10:09:01 AM
just curious, what range?

Nassau County Rifle & Pistol Range

Also just added Warren County thanks to nyrasgt's work.
Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Nickle on January 14, 2010, 11:02:28 AMGet us in the range in Colonie, the one just off NY 155, just below the Thruway.

The 1000 yard range.

I'll get on it.  I don't have any contacts at that one, but one or more of their officers are also well established in the NYSRPA hierarchy.  Any suggestions for how to diplomatically break the ice with them?  The last email I sent to their contact address went unanswered.  Maybe i should just show up tonight with shoot fliers for Hudson Falls and Saratoga Springs - there's usually outdoor rifle activity on Thursday nights from the sound of it.

Nickle

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on January 14, 2010, 06:10:35 PM

I'll get on it.  I don't have any contacts at that one, but one or more of their officers are also well established in the NYSRPA hierarchy.  Any suggestions for how to diplomatically break the ice with them?  The last email I sent to their contact address went unanswered.  Maybe i should just show up tonight with shoot fliers for Hudson Falls and Saratoga Springs - there's usually outdoor rifle activity on Thursday nights from the sound of it.

Face to face is always best for this.

Offer one or two of the club officers a free pass at an Appleseed nearby. Have them give you the name of who they want to attend and which event, make sure B9 and I get it, we'll make sure it's known to the SB they're free.

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Another D.O.M.

Made initial contact w/ V.P. of Watervliet F&G Protective Assn. today.  He was familiar w/ Appleseed from Fred's column in SGN.  He allowed me to leave SWAT reprints, mini bi-folds and event fliers in the clubhouse.  I discussed the possibility of Watervliet hosting an Appleseed event, and his response was that typically such agreements are accomplished when a member of the club approaches the Directors to request their support of the event(s).  He indicated that several members of SaraSpa are also members of Watervliet, and that it would be advantageous if we could get these dual-membership individuals to approach Watervliet board membership with a request for Appleseed sponsorship.  This would be a task for tfelog or R1sgx2 at SaraSpa to identify these members and ask them to present our request to the board of Watervliet.  I'm not sure if nyrasgt is a SaraSpa member.

I also extended the offer of free participation for one or two Watervliet officers, at which point the V.P. indicated he was pretty much a 'shotgun-only shooter' and our training probably wouldn't be of use to him.  I reiterated that this offer is open to any one or two club officers who were interested in attending a local shoot, to become more familiar with our program and curriculum.

B9

Added  St. Lawrence County.

Thanks boltgun71!

One step closer.
Medea Benjamin

Nickle

Ed, Blueskys and I can start working on Essex and Clinton counties. We might be in NY, but those are border counties to us, Essex being fairly close.

Mogget

With this NYT article scheduled to come out next month I hope you guys have bunches of ranges lined up and ready.  I think you're going to have a fun time of it!

Mogs

independentrider1

west point military academy has a beautiful indoor small bore range.I have shot there several times when I used to shoot competition. I dont know if it would take a act of congress to open it up or not. Im not sure of the county but maybe its a option.  ++)

Nickle

Quote from: Mogget on July 08, 2010, 10:35:39 AM
With this NYT article scheduled to come out next month I hope you guys have bunches of ranges lined up and ready.  I think you're going to have a fun time of it!

Mogs

Regionally, we've got plenty of open spots on lines. Time to fill them up.

Independentrider, the NY Army Guard has a nice range in the same area as West Point, it has a 600 yard range on the facility. IIRC, it's Camp Smith.

Odin

I'm only a member of Burlington Flats, but I do know of two ranges that might be worth looking in to.

Ilion Fish and Game (Herkimer county):  http://www.ilionfishandgameclub.com/

Deerfield Fish and Game (Oneida County):  http://deerfieldfishandgame.50megs.com/

Deerfield reportedly has 250 members, and looking at their website a potentially nice room for instruction.  Ilion's range looks like it could support a number of shooters as well.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

NeilR

There is a public range in Westchester county called The Sportsman Center.   They have a "small bore" and "large bore" ranges, though I don't know what that means as far as distance.  I haven't seen any mention of Westchester ranges in this thread, so I thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

B52

Can I suggest a recurring Appleseed every 2 or 3 hour drive for starters, instead of in every county.
That would allow people 1 to 1.5 hour drive each way (which I think is the maximum they are willing to travel back and forth in one day).
One Appleseed would cover 2-3 counties.

B9

Quote from: B52 on August 02, 2010, 04:31:02 PM
Can I suggest a recurring Appleseed every 2 or 3 hour drive for starters, instead of in every county.
That would allow people 1 to 1.5 hour drive each way (which I think is the maximum they are willing to travel back and forth in one day).
One Appleseed would cover 2-3 counties.

A shoot in every county is more a carrot type goal. Appleseeds within a couple hour drive for everyone is part of that goal.

What county is the range you are a member of in?
Medea Benjamin

B52

Not a member at any range, so unfortunately I can't help you with getting a range signed up.
I shoot at a county public range. I posted some suggestions about it under "NY Calendar of Appleseed Events 2010 - 2011" thread.

LittleMo

Has Watervliet Fish and Game Protective Association in Colonie NY been approached by a member for hosting an Appleseed event and gotten back to Appleseed? I just joined there in June and of course I have been talking to others at the rifle range about Appleseed. I asked a board member and got permission to post an Appleseed flier on the club's bulletin board. He seemed positive and receptive about Appleseed. He even told me to leave a bunch of fliers on the tables in the clubhouse! For the past month or so the club has been hosting a NYS Dept of Corrections class, both classroom (in the clubhouse where I put the fliers) and on the range. Hopefully some of those C.O.'s took some fliers with them and maybe some signed up!  :)

After the next scheduled monthly club meeting I plan to talk to a board member and to the club's VP (and maybe the club president if she isnt busy like usual) to feel them out about hosting an Appleseed event or two or more. If they are truly receptive and want a proposal submitted to the board at the board's next meeting, I'm going to need some help! I can talk about how a first-timer Appleseeder feels and the experience, but with only being into Appleseed since Spring I would need someone to pitch the details to the board. Can someone come to back me up?   :sos:

The club's back 100 yd range looks to be wide enough (maybe 50 - 75 or so yards wide) to comfortably accommodate 30 or more shooters, and a high berm. But the back range is all open with no covering at all, except for the trees along side the range. The front rifle range can't be used for Appleseed because standing and prone shooting aren't allowed on that range. The indoor range has about 12 - 15 stations. The 1,000 yard range is not Watervliet's, that belongs to a neighboring gun club. The access road is in rough shape, not paved, with many pot holes, some are deep and some are wide (the access road is not owned by Watervliet F&G). Half of Watervleit's road and parking surfaces were paved last month, and the rest is not too bad of a shape. Access into Watervliet's entrance is gated, opened by a cardkey. The entire place is has video surveillance security, and some chickens.  ???  Yes, chickens! They aren't very good as security guards, but they do keep the tick population down. Please see Watervliet's web page. http://www.wfgpa.org/

I'm open to suggestions, comments, ideas, and help. If someone wants to meet with me and tour Watervliet, let me know.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont