News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A shoot in every county?

Started by B9, October 15, 2009, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

There are several experienced Appleseeders in the area that could help.
If you can get a tentative date for an Appleseed proposal meeting one of us can go with you.

As a side note law enforcement can now attend Appleseeds free.  @&) :)  NYS Dept of Corrections is LEO in my book.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: LittleMo on September 03, 2010, 02:17:40 AMHas Watervliet Fish and Game Protective Association in Colonie NY been approached by a member for hosting an Appleseed event and gotten back to Appleseed...
This past spring I took a trip to Watervliet and spoke w/ their VP about the Appleseed program.  He was very receptive to the ideals of our program and seemed open to the possibility of the club hosting one or more events.  When I offered a free pass to one of the upcoming nearby shoots, however,he stated simply that he is primarily a shotgun shooter and didn't think that our program would be a benefit to himself, although others at the club might be interested.  I left a bunch of fliers and other literature in the main meeting room but have not made a return trip since.

In general, what I was told by this member was that if we wished to gain an audience w/ the board to pitch our program, a current member of the club should make this proposal at a general meeting and it would proceed from there.  I am not a member and thus cannot make this proposal in person.  He indicated that several members of Watervliet are also members of SaraSpa, and that we might work with these dual-membership individuals to get a proposal before the board.  I forwarded this info along to our Appleseed SaraSpa members to see if they could make any headway along these lines and have heard nothing further.

If you are a current member and you can set up a meeting with the Board/general membership, I will be there to back you up.  I live in Colonie, an easy five minute drive to Watervliet.  Of particular interest to me is their indoor range.  A dozen or more indoor firing points would be ideal for Winterseeds!  This is not to downplay the other resources the club might offer for our use - if we can get an Appleseed scheduled at Watervliet this will open up many doors for us within the upper & central Hudson River Valley regions.

Please contact me at your convenience and we'll work on this together.  My home number is 282-4759; my email is mjanspacher@gmail.com; and you can PM me on the forum if that works better for you.

Huge thanks for volunteering to help out with this club - they have been on our radar for some time now, we just haven't gotten the foot-in-the-door to proceed.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

LittleMo

Another D.O.M.
Email sent.

NYRASGT
PM answered.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

The Kid

Hey NY Crew,

I just had a though,to knock out the inner city counties could you get involved with LEO's ? Just a thought from down south.

TK
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

LittleMo

Being a member of Watervliet, I will bring up Appleseed during the monthly membership meeting on Thursday. Hopefully I will be asked to present it to the board of directors at their meeting at the end of the month. As my guest in front of the board, Another D.O.M. would do the detailed pitch for that meeting, while I tell my viewpoint. Thank you Another D.O.M. for offering your help!   :bow:

Now is a good time to make that presentation for scheduling for next year, and for the rest of this year. If you look at Watervliet's calendar for this year (http://www.wfgpa.org/calendar.htm), you can see they have numerous events going on at their back range. An Appleseed would have to be fit somewhere in the schedule.

The indoor range allows only sub-sonic, non-plated, non-jacketed lead ammo. For an Appleseed that wouldn't be a problem because the variety of .22 ammo available, and as long as that information is well publicized. As far as I know (I've only been a member for 3 months) the indoor range only has events scheduled during the winter months. Those events are not listed on Watervliet's calendar.

As I said before Watervliet does not own the access road - it is owned by the neighboring gun club. We use it to get to Watervliet's entrance. When the neighboring gun club has their 1,000 yard competition or practice, they shut down the access road. Watervliet club and ranges are shut down during these times because the entrance (driveway) to Watervliet actually crosses the 1,000 yard range.

I am also looking into finding leads to other gun clubs. My sister lives in Coeymans and will make some inquiries to find members of the Ravena-Coeymans Sportsman club. So far, no leads yet. I plan to stop by Rotterdam's newest gun store, Target Sports, next week. I'll ask about Iroquois R&G, and will ask to leave some Appleseed fliers.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont