News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fort Stewart, GA 10/5-9/09

Started by Bama, October 11, 2009, 01:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

Bama

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

Appalacious

Great pics.  Great job.  Now, go get some sleep :)
J
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Patriot Gal

Well done soldiers!!  Well done Riflemen!!  Well done RWVA!!  You are all doing your country a great service.  I am very proud of you all !!!!   O0 O0 O0

Training Americans, one rifle at a time!

Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Son of Martha

ALL INSTRUCTORS NOTE:  Do NOT discuss any details regarding troops scores, number of men per platoon, tactical situation they will face or area they are deploying to other than the country.

OK, I am going to post this as separate day to day postings.

Sunday PM 4 Oct to Monday PM 5 Oct:

Instructors started arriving at the tail end of the Hinesville Appleseed.  This range is only a few miles from the gates of Fort Stewart, and close to our BOTG's (Cannonman61) residence. After delivering the benediction at the AS we all piled into vehicles and convoyed to the Cannonman's house to wait on the last few Instructors to arrive.  Dave was a most gracious host and showed the cannons he has built as well as interesting details about reenactments participated in and reloading recipes for modern firearms.  Once all of our Instructors were present we convoyed to the base and received an orientation on the layout (chow hall, latrines, Battalion HQ etc).  We had a pre-event briefing and then to bed.

Monday morning it was raining when we woke (0530).  OK, no problem, we deal with this at Appleseeds and these are soldiers, they should be used to doing stuff in the rain.  We hoofed it the 175 yards to the rendezvous point and were driven the 20+ minute trip to the range for the first time.  

The range was normally used for machine gun training.  For our purposes there were "popsicle sticks", 1x4 boards 6' long to hold targets, and waxed cardboard E-targets to tack on them.  These were used as backers and the paper targets were posted on the E-targets.  The ground was soft on top but about 3"-4" down was hard packed clay, so the sticks were never pounded in so deep as we would like.  We were briefed on the range safety procedures by the range OIC Lt. Singletary, then started prepping target backers.

The troops showed up around 0800.  Two platoons, total of over 90 men.  They formed up in bleachers and while waiting for the OIC to deliver the orientation VAShooter told them the first strike.  Lt. Singletary delivered his safety briefing and we were off to the races.  Things went slow at first as the troops all had to grab a backer, take it downrange and pound it in the hard muck.  They also were trying the optics for the first time so instruction had to be given on that piece of equipment at the line and zeroing was slow.  Things picked up for a short while, and then the water started to rise....

I had picked what looked to be a good spot for the firing line at the beginning, forward of the normal firing line (which was bare sand) and in the grass.  It also turned out to be a low spot.  Not apparent at first as the top couple inches of ground was not yet saturated.  Once it was the water started to pool up in several places along the firing line.  At first this was not a concern to me--these are soldiers, they should be able to handle it--but as time went on they were grounding their rifles in puddles of water in which the rifles were over half submerged.  I started becoming concerned about water in the bores and gas tubes and determined that the firing line needed to be moved.  We sent the troops to chow and a couple instructors walked the range looking for a better drained spot.  After chow we had the troops grab backers and place them at the new spot, which was good for the rest of the week.

After that things started to proceed smoothly again.  The soldiers got into the rhythm of Appleseed, and improvement abounded.  One thing that was particularly noticeable to me was the lack of complaints--I never heard ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT that day.  They might have been (probably were) complaining to one another, but they didn't complain to us.  Outstanding.  We still had problems with those *&^%$$ popsicle sticks falling--they would be pounded in to hard dirt and be steady, then the rain would soak in and soften it until they just fell over at the slightest breeze. @#$$%

The COF was cut short due to all the moving around, and we ended up leaving the range somewhere around 1900+ hrs.  The ride back was pretty silent, as we were all completely exhausted.  We had an AAR in the barracks and then to chow. The chow hall normally closes around 1800 I think, but they stayed open every day that week to ensure the troops (and instructors) got fed--thanks for doing that guys!  After chow a quick shower, more brainstorming about the next day and then bed.

More to come.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Son of Martha

ALL INSTRUCTORS NOTE:  Do NOT discuss any details regarding troops scores, number of men per platoon, tactical situation they will face or area they are deploying to other than the country.

Tuesday 6 Oct:

Had a delay in troops arriving this morning, put the time to good use pre-posting targets (takes a long time to do this on a 100+ yard long target line).  Had morning briefing and then to work.  The troops had a PT test before coming out and were already worked over before showing up--and then had 10 hours of baking sun, 80+ degree temps, body armor and K-pot and the firehose of information push.  We had to take them off line by platoons in the afternoon to put plates in the IBA, and this required rearrangement of firing positions and NPOA changes.  We did get most of the way through the COF, and the standards team showed up around 1700 to administer the Army Alt C Qual course--our instructors pulled off the line and watched--interesting.

At the AAR review of the troops, it was interesting that several of them thought that they showed no improvement to their shooting--but the Qual C showed a different result.  The Battalion Master Gunner ran the review, and gave them numbers that showed SIGNIFICANT improvement, both in troops getting a first-time "Go" AND in the number of troops who shot Expert scores.  I suspect that the PT test, long hours in armor and shooting at the Appleseed targets skewed their perceptions.  We were pleased to be able to present our first rifleman patch today.

Back to barracks, another AAR, done standing with two 1-minute talk sessions per person, chow and bed.

SoM

txpirate

The Instructor List:
Son of Martha
Flathead
Colycat
Old Glory
AhhShoot
4merUSMC
Bama
SamD
DuaneH
txpirate
Stimey
PHenry
SgtCap
VAShooter
HawkHaven

I think I got everybody... O0

DuaneRN

Actually on the forum I am DwayneH.

DuaneRN

Appleseed.  It's not just a job, it's an adventure.  In the movie 2010 "The Year We Make Contact", the ghost of an astronaut warns the crew of the ship that "something wonderful is about to happen".  That something wonderful is Jupiter imploding and forming a white dwarf star.  So to everyone reading these AARs I give you the warning that something wonderful is about to happen. 

I feel honored that I was able to be part of this and hope that this is not the last.  We will always be the first.

ahhshoot

It was an honor and a privilege to have the opportunity to train such fine Americans and meet such truly brilliant instructors. It seems like Providence that the first time Appleseed does this, is with a battalion that traces it's lineage back to 1775. I pray that all those boys come back safe. A free Appleseed awaits all of them and an orange hat for some, HUAH!
The past is only the future with the lights on.

Flathead

Wed Oct 7
Son of Martha had to attend to some personal business, so he put me as temp shoot boss. The whole time I was thinking "don't screw this one up!!". But by Wednesday things were starting to run a little smoother for everyone. The troops arriving earlier, The safety brief allowing us time to repair the target line. The ground starting to dry up and get warmer and with the winds picking up, we had plenty of repairs to do. The soldiers were starting to talk among themselves in the evenings and were starting to know what to expect on the line. Other than a few minor problems, things went rather well. The group of soldiers in front of me at the center of the line were getting better with each string of fire. Attitudes were great giving the conditions. One young soldier comes to mind named Odum. Each time he went down to check his target he came back with a bigger grin. It made the aches and pains of 3 days of standing for 12 hours plus a little better!
The Qual team showing up to qualify the soldiers with the help of the instructors helping with the line.If you have ever heard a 100 plus yard of shooters firing the 5.56 round and you will know why they had instructors help mimic the commands! And another day just about finished up. Hearing the results and seeing this group coming back all smiles was great. We all knew the impact we were making in their lives. As we walked around the billet area we were about like rock stars, soldiers stopping us and thanking us for the training. But we were the ones that should be and was thanking them for what they were doing. For us it was an honor to be there among such great Americans!!!
AAR finished up and some more tweaking of the COF and time to clean up for the next morning! Hearing them running PT at O dark thirty was the alarm clock most days.
And to the Instructors thank you for being there with me to experience this training and " IF YOU FIND YOURSELF STANDING ALONE, YOU ARE PROBABLY DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!

PHenry

Honor and Privilege

I didn't know what to expect, but when called, I knew that I had to go.

I had events to run immediately prior to and directly after, but that didn't matter.

I was concerned about my own ability to Appleseed for 9 consecutive days. I was concerned about how the troops would feel about a bunch of civilians teaching them marksmanship. I was concerned about how "thems of a higher pay grade" at Ft. Stewart would view our presence on base.

I also feared I would be unworthy as an instructor considering the level of talent by which I would be surrounded.

On Friday afternoon, during a brief ceremony in front of the two final platoons that we worked with, I watched a very "squared away" officer get choked up when he was offering his thanks to me and my fellow volunteer instructors for what we had done and all of the aforementioned concerns breathed their last gasp and vanished completely.

It was an honor and a privilege to meet and live with every one of you - soldiers and instructors alike. I am at once, humbled and proud. I will recall fondly my time at Ft. Stewart as long as I live and if afforded the opportunity, would not hesitate to repeat the entire experience.

To everyone involved, please accept my heartfelt thanks for enabling me this precious opportunity.

PH

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Old Glory!

Sgt. Rinehardt addresses the platoons and RWVA Instructors on Friday, October 9, 2009:

Sgt. Rinehardt:
I want to talk to you a little bit about Appleseed.  Did they lace in some history lessons today? 

Platoons:
Huah!!!   

Sgt. Rinehardt:
Was that good stuff? 

Platoons:
Huah!! 

Sgt. Rinehardt:
We've gotten a lot of people, Civilian contractors, to come down here to help us with fielding and things like that.  Appleseed, I called them contractors on the concept letter so I could get them out here, but that's not really what they are.   These people are like you and I, they have jobs; what they are doing today, it ain't it.   They took time off of their work, they took vacation time, time away from their families, to come here.  So all the training we got all week, and I know it's hot, you've all been out here all day, these people have been out here ALL WEEK. 

Platoons:
Huah!!!!!  Applause!

Sgt. Rinehardt:
Sir, can we get you all up here for a second.   

(RWVA Instructors move forward.)

Sgt. Rinehardt:
When the Colonel asked me about your organization, (and I know of you all through Sgt, Hawes) and he wanted to know who you were and what you were about, some of the staff looked you up on the internet.  It was pretty impressive, what we read on the internet.  I am going to tell you that your internet site does not BEGIN to describe you as individuals or you as a group.  It doesn't BEGIN to do justice to the value you have added to our training plan.  It doesn't begin to do justice for the difference you are going to make in the lives of our soldiers.  This is the Colonel, I know you have all met him already, Colonel McInnis....
He has some things he would like to present to you.   

Colonel McInnis: 
Again, golly, sometimes it is easy to get disheartened about what is going on in society and America and you guys reinforce everything that is good about America.  Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.  What a tremendous honor to have you all out here with us.  What we have for you is a small token of our appreciation, you guys taking time out of your lives to come help us as we get ready to go forward to defend this country.  I will have Major Turner read the citation for you.

This certificate means a lot to us.  We don't just hand them out like candy to everybody.   

Major Turner:
1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery
"The Swamp Fox Battalion"

To all who read these words, be it known that the undersigned hereby grant honorary membership with the 1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery. 

You have striven to attain excellence in your endeavors and have set-aside personal gain to help the 1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery accomplish it's mission.  In keeping with the Traditions of the Field Artillery, your professionalism, dedication and self-sacrifice have clearly demonstrated that you have the fortitude to be declared one of MARION"S MEN.

Given under my hand on this 9th day of October, 2009

Samuel T. McKenzie, CSM
Command Sergeant Major

Edward M. McInnis, LTC, FA
Commanding

Platoons:
Huah!!!!! Applause

You guys, being of Revolutionary War based historical background, what you bring to the table, I'm not sure if they told you, this Battalion is known as the Swamp Fox Battalion; obviously a tribute to Francis Marion who hails from the part of the State of South Carolina where we are from, so being one of Marion's Men is a thing of pride for us.  Along with the certificate, we also have included one of our patches, which we are going to be wearing into Afganistan; so please wear those with pride.  We have also included a brief history of the 218th Infantry Brigade shoulder sleeve patch that we wear, as well as our unit insignia.   There is no history on there but it is the Swamp Fox on the unit crest, or DUI, distinctive unit insignia, we wear on our class A uniforms or dress uniforms, and on the bottom it says True and Tried.  You guys are True and Tried for having come out here on Monday and got water logged and then we baked your asses the rest of the week.   

Colonel McInnis:
So, again, I hope I am speaking on behalf of the Battalion, I thank you so much, again it has been a tremendous honor to have you guys with us, and golly, you all reinforce what is good about America. 

Platoons:
HUAH!!!!!!

Presentation of the Awards to the RWVA Instructors

Sgt Rinehardt:
Now guys, these targets we used today, this whole week, we didn't pay for them.  They used money out of "their pocket" to help pay for them. We'd like to make a donation to your organization.  (Sgt. Rinehardt presented the Shoot Boss with a donation.)

RWVA Instructors: "Thank you!"

Colonel McInnis:
Thank you for being here, this is going to pay big dividends for us.

Platoons:
Huah!!!
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Son of Martha

Thursday 8 Oct:

Troops and ammo on time, fewer backer problems (though never entirely eliminated), our "modified" Appleseed procedures in sync and a slight re-arrangement of the COF were all contributing to a better flow to the process and more efficient information transfer.  We started with a more comprehensive morning briefing which covered the following:

> What Appleseed is, instructor qualifications.
> Why marksmanship matters in all tactical arenas, and why 40/40 (100% on the Army qual test) isn't good enough.
>  Description of the unfamiliar nature of this training, partial explanation of the reasons behind it.
>  Review of capabilities of the M4 weapons system, brief overview of optics (M68 CCO and ACOG) and what the intended operational parameters for each are.
>  Zeroing procedure.
>  Firing line procedures.
>  Safety rules.

We then pulled the Platoon Sgts out for a private talk, and got commitments from them to use the NCO channels to support our training objectives.  (Thanks Cap!)

Then to the line.  Things went very well most of the day, then some of the officers showed up to qualify.  They came during chow, and were not finished when the troops were so the instructors did a "tag-team" of three strikes presentations.  We finished that and ended up going back to the line with some officers wanting to stay and shoot with us, so we coordinated with what they were doing for the next half hour or so.

As we approached the 1700 hrs mark, it was obvious that we would not complete the COF.  Flathead was the Line Boss, and pretty insistent that he was gonna get his COF done even if we had to stay past dark. He finally relented when the troops' deteriorating concentration and need to fire the Alt-C course were mentioned.

The soldiers actually seemed to pick up a bit as the Alt-C was posted, and we even noticed that during the prone-supported stage, when they are allowed to use a sandbag, many of them elected to use only the hasty sling--very encouraging.

This time the troops had no doubts about the improvement in their shooting.  I don't remember if we heard any numbers, but there were plenty of men talking about improvement, qualifying first time through for the first time ever, etc. Had a long-ish AAR in the bleachers (Lt. Singletary: "What did ya'll like about this training today?"  Reply: "The whole damn thing!"), then 20+ minutes to barracks, standing AAR, chow, showers and rack.

SoM

zombiehunter

This is fantastic; excellent work Appleseeders!  O0  Love the M16s on the submerged firing line...
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/

Castle Mountain

Having just read this after action report, every detail that is, my heart swells with joy and my eyes overflow with tears.
I am so proud to be a part of Appleseed and so proud of our instructors. You guys are the best yet finest of men I have
met. I  can say this because I am familiar with the quality and caliber of instructors we have here in Illinois.
You guys are likewise awesome!
There is a marketing axiom that says..... it is better to be first in the mind than to be first in the market place, because
if you are first in a person's mind you will own the marketplace." How can these fine young men and officers ever forget
Appleseed, our country's history and our heritage? They will go forth and they will return and plant new apple seeds, I am certain.
My oh my, what a fine job you men have done. You will be first in the minds of both officers and the soldiers that follow them.
I have no doubt you will have ensured the safety of their lives and bolstered the success of their missions whatever they may be.
Lee Greenwoods song 'Proud to be an American' rings loud on my stereo speaks as I write this post.
How I wish we could have shared the moments of your experiences during your Appleseed weekend. Stuff like this raises the bar for me.

A 21 gun salute to you all. And thanks for the great read gentlemen. God bless each and every one.

Best regards,

Castlemountain
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Son of Martha

Friday 9 Oct:

The instructor team started this day on a high, in spite of the blisters, sunburn and exhaustion.  We had just come off our smoothest day yet and were back for another crack at getting through that deceptively simple yet damnably elusive final string of the COF.

Troops on time except one squad.  The chaplain agreed to a short service while we waited, then morning briefing.  Same as Thursday except I forgot the safety rules--no prob, the team noticed that and covered them on the line.  This set of men were the best shooters yet, which presented an unanticipated problem:  Getting across the idea that they need to improve.  (Me:  "You need to be better than what the Army asks.  They want you to be able to hit a man-sized target at 300 meters.  Your opponent isn't going to GIVE you man sized targets--you will have half a head and one arm to shoot at, so now you have a basketball-sized target..."  They: "Tell it to the Army.  Your argument fails to convince."  [OK, they didn't really say that, but the message was clear.])  We did have good success with those who listened, and I was thinking about pulling some of the better shots out and using them as coaches for their fellows.  We had to take and unscheduled break in early PM as the actual temp was around 92° and the humidity was high.  After the break we were clued in that the standards team to administer the Alt-C would be in early.  The Batt. Commander was giving the troops the weekend off and everyone was wanting to get going soon...

Did the Alt-C, had one unfortunate fellow whose M68 went TU during our last string, so he didn't get to qualify with optics.  Police the range, then SFC Rinehardt and LTC McInnis did the presentation posted by Old Glory above.  Ride back was an exhausted yet festive event--after so much stress, care and concern we could finally loosen the thumbscrews and reflect on a job done as well as it could have been at the time.  I expect, if AS is called back to do something like this again, that the next mission will be even better.  We have a better idea of the living/range conditions, the troop knowledge and proficiency levels, Army expectations and procedures and what our changes to procedure and instructor skill needs are.

And yet, when all is said and done, the men in the Army who were involved in making this happen are slated to deploy shortly.  When that happens all of the institutional memory of who we are and what we do will be gone.  In spite of the fact that the Appleseed Project was able to complete our mission to the satisfaction of the cadre who invited us, and that there are many soldiers going into harm's way now with significantly better marksmanship abilities than otherwise would be the case, Appleseed may never again be asked to do this.  That would be a shame for both organizations--the Army for missing out on tactically effective and cost effective training, and Appleseed for not being able to help our boys going to fight and our instructors missing out on a unique "seasoning" opportunity.

In the meantime, we do what we can do.  Work for the best, plan for the worst.  I am honored to have been part of this.  I salute the fellow instructors who so ably shouldered their part of the burden, and thank those who didn't come to Fort Stewart but worked behind the scenes to make this a success.  I will see you on the Trail.

SoM

MeanStreaker

May God bless The Swamp Fox Battalion and all others going into harm's way to defend our Liberties.

My wife and I took our annual motorcycle trip to those parts in August.  It was a privilege to pay my respects and posthumously award Francis Marion with a Rifleman patch at his final resting place.

Thanks for all your hard work, RWVA instructors.  I'm honored to be associated with you.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Birdman

I have read every word on this thread and I am filled with pride that I am even a tiny part of this organization.  Do you realize what you have done??  These soldiers will never forget Appleseed, the instructors, or the history as they have never heard it before.  The best part is that these soldiers have a better chance of coming home to their wives, their children, and their families than if Appleseed had not been invited. Absolutely OUTSTANDING!   

One-of-Three

WOW.   I am speechless.   What a priceless opportunity!  While I have done a lot to try to spread the seeds in my little circle of influence, what these people have done is amazing.   I have read these post's several times and I get a tingle down my spine each time.    I am sure pleased to be a part (albeit a small one) of Appleseed.   I look forward to seeing the growth sparked by this event alone!!!

AFTERMATH

I was going to make post number 500, really count...
But, I'm finding it rather difficult to see the screen.(It's not tears, it's adrenaline...)

I don't believe it to be a coincidence that here you are 230+ years later, working with Marion's men.
To be one of Marion's men, quite an honor, it is.
For those not familiar with the 'Swamp Fox' I'm sure you've seen the movie; "The Patriot"
The character Benjamin Martin, played by Gibson; is based on that of Francis Marion.
Quite an honor, indeed.

It's kind of hard to read what's on Meanstreaker's photo, so I dug it up:
QuoteGen. Marion's Epitaph
--------

Sacred to the Memory of BRIG. GEN. FRANCIS MARION,
Who departed this life, on the 27th of February, 1795,~ In the
Sixty-Third Year of his Age; Deeply regretted by all his fellow citizens.

HISTORY will record his worth, and rising generations embalm his
memory, as one of the most distinguished Patriots and Heroes of
the American Revolution; which elevated his native Country TO
HONOUR AND INDEPENDENCE, and secured to her the
blessings of LIBERTY AND PEACE.

This tribute of veneration and gratitude is erected in
commemoration of the noble and disinterested virtues of the
CITIZEN; and the gallant exploits of the SOLDIER; Who lived
without fear, and died without reproach.
http://americanrevwar.homestead.com/files/marion.htm

Be proud as proud of yourselves as you are of the soldiers with whom you've worked with.

Quite an honor. Quite an honor indeed.

From  Colycat,  Alex, you really made your 500th post count.  Good job man O0 O0 O0 O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Old Glory!

Hawkhavn

Old Glory!

VAshooter

SgtCap

SamD

Flathead

Son of Martha

Colycat

National Guard
Established 1636
100% American Soldier

Sgt. Rinehardt calling the line on the C-qual
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

MeanStreaker

Quote from: AFTERMATH on October 14, 2009, 02:31:21 AM
It's kind of hard to read what's on Meanstreaker's photo, so I dug it up:

Sorry to continue slightly off the AAR, but since folks seem interested and I'm sure General Marion is very proud of his men, here is a clearer photo of the inscription:

Here is the other side of his monument:

It reads:

To Preserve to Posterity this burial place of an honored son
The General Assembly of South Carolina
Replaces the crumbling and broken tomb nearly a century old with this
Enduring memorial cut from her own granite hills.
Esto Perpetua.

I'm not ashamed to admit I choked up when reading that on site while relating the words to the mission of  Appleseed.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

SGTCap

Dang I need to shave.

It was truely a pleasure working with you guys, and getting to be a part of this.  Hopefully this will not be the last time we get to do something like this for the military.  Even if we don't every one of you can sleep well knowing that you did something to help bring these guys home safly and to make sure some of their enemies do not.

I've been around soldiers long enough to know when they are being polite and when they sincerly appreciate something.  These guys sincerely appreciated our efforts.  Considering the long days, heat and exhaustion that is definately saying a lot.

Good work  O0

Bama

Quote from: PHenry on October 12, 2009, 11:39:23 AM
Honor and Privilege

I didn't know what to expect, but when called, I knew that I had to go.

I had events to run immediately prior to and directly after, but that didn't matter.

I was concerned about my own ability to Appleseed for 9 consecutive days. I was concerned about how the troops would feel about a bunch of civilians teaching them marksmanship. I was concerned about how "thems of a higher pay grade" at Ft. Stewart would view our presence on base.

I also feared I would be unworthy as an instructor considering the level of talent by which I would be surrounded.

On Friday afternoon, during a brief ceremony in front of the two final platoons that we worked with, I watched a very "squared away" officer get choked up when he was offering his thanks to me and my fellow volunteer instructors for what we had done and all of the aforementioned concerns breathed their last gasp and vanished completely.

It was an honor and a privilege to meet and live with every one of you - soldiers and instructors alike. I am at once, humbled and proud. I will recall fondly my time at Ft. Stewart as long as I live and if afforded the opportunity, would not hesitate to repeat the entire experience.

To everyone involved, please accept my heartfelt thanks for enabling me this precious opportunity.

PH

These are pretty much my sentiments, also. Honored and privileged.

I want to thank Providence for even considering my participation! Thanks to all RWVA volunteers everywhere. I know that those who were not there in flesh were there in spirit. Thanks to the Swamp Fox Battalion for having us and being good students with very positive, teachable attitudes, and especially for serving your larger family, the American People.

I must admit that I often felt like I was amongst giants. Appleseed has some very talented and dedicated individuals and I am very lucky to know and work with many of them. Being around such souls has forced introspection, and motivated myself to develop my own Americanism to the maximum that I can muster. My time and efforts to the Project thus far has been well-rewarded and has left me yearning to give  and do more. There is no longer any doubt here (if there ever was), that doing right is its own reward.

I returned home with a swelling sense of what America is and how important Appleseed is to America. I am honored and privileged to be considered a part of that Appleseed family. I consider every one of those present a loved part of my family.

Thank you, America. Thank you, our Founding Generation.

In liberty,
I am,
Bama

LTRangeMaster

I had an great time working with these great riflemen as their OIC.  Learned a lot from them.  Hope to do it again sometime...

PHenry

LTRangeMaster,
Is that you LT? Welcome aboard! Flattered that you sought us out and made a post. You are one squared away officer sir - besting men with twice your experience I feel certain.

If offered the chance to do it all agin - I would not falter, on that you can rely.

Next time I see you, I figure there will be a new insignia on the front of your ACUs.  <:)

Take care and keep smiling sir,
PHenry (Trey)
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

SamD

Welcome aboard Lt.
Good to see ya here.
Sam

Old Glory!

talking targets

Water buffalo

Seated or kneeling

standing

Ahhshoot

Colonel McInnis and DwayneH

Samuel T. McKenzie, CSM
Command Sergeant Major

Lt. Singletary our OIC
LTRangeMaster WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Colonel McInnis and Sgt. Rinehardt

SamD and his clownbat

LT and the Friday platoon

One man fell out due to heat exhaustion.  Off came all the gear, and an IV started quickly.  He recovered fine.

Major Turner and Stimey

colycat

Yikes, Its been almost 2 weeks since this shoot and I haven't chimed in yet. (the forum was down quite abit of the time though)

My thoughts:

This was really special, I mean really special.  I thought my best AS was Arnold Air Force Base last year, and it was, until now.

At all Appleseeds, you develope relationships with students and instructors.  Imagine spending 1 week living in close quarters with your fellow instructors?  Although I knew most by forum name before I arrived,  Son of Martha decided we would use our real names. !@#)  It took the whole week for me to get Mike, Darrel, Derrick, ect.  Sam was the only easy one.  Oh yea, Laurie was easy also #)  We became such a close, high speed, low drag unit, that it is still incredable to think about it.  What Fun :~ :~ :~

Our mission though was to train men and a few women to survive,  against 13th century barbarians.  Changes the whole focus on what we normally do.  They really needed what we had to offer and it was apparent every trip to the latrine or mess hall.  After a few days,(4 platoons) we were really sought after for stories, yes, the stories of 4-19.  They also wanted to know where to buy my jacket, which I wore all day, most days, to be as uncomfortable as they were with 75 lbs of amour on.

It was truly an honor to serve with all the AS instructors, and to meet SGT Rinehardt, Major Turner,
SGT Bledsoe,(have you checked your receiver on your M4 yet?  I hope it doesn't say Rock River on it **) ) and last but not least LT Singletary.  (Lt, I need my morning fix of the LT)

There are so many items of fate, that this was the first AS endeavor with the military.  First, its the National Guard. (militia) Second,  they are descendants of Marion's men,  who were there on 4-19-75.  Third, Their motto is "true and tried".  Something we found out about when we deviated from the AS COF. There is more but I can't remember them all.

What a great experience, thanks to all the people in Appleseed, who helped to make this possible, and this includes everyone, because without the national program, it never would have happened.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine