News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Myakka City, FL April 16,17 2011

Started by ItsanSKS, April 20, 2011, 03:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

In the early morning hours of April 16th, 2011, American patriots around the country descended upon their local rifle ranges, to pay homage to their forefathers.  Coming together to learn about the men and women who fought and died so that we might have a better way. 

Near the sleepy town of Myakka City, FL, nearly a dozen Americans, men and women from all walks of life, rekindled the flame of American Liberty.  Setting their sights on becoming more proficient in the martial art of Riflery, these fine Americans took part in the re-awakening of the American Spirit. 

Under the patient guidance and direction of experienced, volunteer instructors, our students made remarkable progress.  To gauge this progress, at the beginning of the day, without the benefit of any instruction whatsoever, each student was asked to make hits on targets posted at 25m.  These targets were used to judge baseline skill, with targets scaled to represent a 20" target at 100m, 200m, 300m, and 400m, with a historically-significant target that represented a 6"x9" 'shingle' at 250m.   Our students, with but two exceptions, were unable to successfully engage their targets beyond the 100m mark...   

By the end of the first day, our students were successfully engaging targets at 200 and 300!  One student even CLEARED the target, not only engaging targets 100-400, but making a clean hit in the 250m shingle shot! 

More important than the marksmanship instruction, each of our students learned the significance of April 19th, 1775.  Many students had heard of Paul Revere, and knew of his midnight ride, but they knew precious little else regarding the most important day in our nations history.   Our instructors sought to change that!   

The story of Captain Parker of the Lexington Militia, who ordered his 70 men to stand their ground against a force of nearly 350 off the Kings Own.  The story of Isaac Davis, Captain of the Acton Minutemen, leading the charge at the North Bridge in Concord, becoming the first commissioned officer to die in our War for Independence.  The stories of Samuel Whittemore, Hezekia Wyman, David Lamson and others were told to an audience eager to hear the message of Liberty.

With the stories of American heroism & self-sacrifice still reverberating in their ears, our students took to the firing line once again; this time, to honor the men who fought and died for us.  Thirteen names called out, thirteen rounds fired.  A Volley For Liberty, coordinated amongst hundreds of events, with thousands of participants, all across the country. 

By the end of the event, only one Rifleman had been revealed;  Jose struggled through position issues for most of the day, but fought through and achieved a Rifleman's score with his AR-15.  Congratulations Jose!  We hope to see you back on the line soon!

Our other students showed dramatic progress, and though schedules conflicted with return on Sunday, each student eagerly embraced the message that Appleseed offered, and promised to return when able. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Sly223

Did anyone mention, Women out numbered men 7 to1. :cool2:
Always an honor being in the RWVA this time of year to pay a little respect, on a grand scale. Always moving and a humbling experience! :bow:
Great weather, Almost rained, almost too hot ^:)^
If any of you cold shoot boss's need a place to thaw out we have plenty to keep you busy down  here! We have three shoot boss's, we borrow three more and more are in the works commin'up through the ranks 'til then C-YA'LL ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

The Log

Quote from: Sly223 on April 23, 2011, 02:08:07 AM
If any of you cold shoot boss's need a place to thaw out we have plenty to keep you busy down  here! We have three shoot boss's, we borrow three more and more are in the works commin'up through the ranks 'til then C-YA'LL ..:..
Hmmm ....

Planning a Disney trip next year for late March-early April. Google Maps says it's a mere 2 hour drive to Myakka from Orlando. Wouldn't mind giving Mickey a day off and visiting ItsanSKS-land, maybe returning the favor he did me in November 2009 by getting on a plane from sunny Florida and coming up to CT to SB a miserably cold, wet shoot before we had any Red Hats up here. That was my first shoot, and by the time in the First Strike that Revere was crossing under the guns of the Somerset, I knew I was going to be putting on a hat. So maybe I can return the favor, if the schedule works out. I'll bring my daughter with me, too - Who_Me? ought to be a Red hat by then too.

Of course, what my Mom will say about us taking off from the trip she's paying for doesn't bear thinking about. But heck - we've got a nation to save!

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

airplanejoe

:) Another great event. WOW!!! This is the very first time I've seen the guys out-numbered by the gals in a shooting event. Very refreshing to see the trend change in the Appleseed demographics!!! I felt bad by not being able to return for the second day, but there is a method to the madness; I'm trying to build up my green stamps bank so that I can exchange them for a 5 day shore pass to attend an RBC later this year. I'll try to be there again May. Like I said after my first Appleseed, "I'm hooked".

AJ

S1gnal.Zer0

Looks like you guys had a great event. My father and I are planning to be at Manatee Gun in July again. I need to shoot Rifleman with my AR :--- and my son will join us this time as well with the proven 10/22. Dad just picked up some Hi Viz sights and extended mag release for the 10/22 so he shoot Rifleman this time. Can't wait to see you guys again. This will be my second so hopefully I can start getting busy will some mule work :bow: Well see everyone soon.
S1gnal.Zer0