News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Medical Lake, WA April 30-May 1, 2011

Started by Evenstar, May 02, 2011, 09:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evenstar

Just wanted write something quick up while the SB (dad) attends to other SB stuff. :)

What a great weekend! We had 9 brave souls come out on Saturday to face the blustery weather on the West Plains, including three young girls. O0 Saturday saw much improvement made by all, and a repeat Rifleman score by Heather (ModeMama). History by eert, Roland, and RL was top-notch; thanks guys!

I believe we had 11 show up on Sunday; a few repeat attendees, as well as a couple people new to Appleseed. The weather was much nicer, 60's and sunny. ^-^ :D Sunday was spent fine-tunning the skill set, and we got to plenty AQTs, a star target, and reactive peppermint targets. ;) Steve, first time Appleseeder, persisted through a host of ammo/rifle malfunctions, settled in with rifle #4, and scored a solid Rifleman of 224! Way to go, Steve! ^:)^ Heather also qualified on Sunday with her AR! She had said that once she shot Rifleman with her AR, she would take up the orange hat. Congrats Heather! Thanks for taking on the orange to go with your blue hat. ;)
Several others were knocking on the door with scores in the 180's-200's, and I'm sure they'll be back to get that patch! Our three young ladies (ages 8-12, I believe) persisted, and thoroughly enjoyed being on the line alongside their parents. Way to go, girls! O0

It was a pleasure working with everyone; come on back, and bring a friend. Or two. Or three. :cool2: Thanks for coming out to hear about our Heritage and to learn to be a Rifleman.

Instructors, it was great to work the line with y'all as always. Scott, Heather, good to see you guys again, and to meet Lauryn. That girl makes me smile! Scott, nice job on the first time DOM stories. RL, thanks for coming over to the 'sunny side'; great 3rd Strike, btw. O0

A big thank you to Jack for opening up his private Lone Pine Range to us. :bow: (Yes, eert, I do realize that it is, in fact, a spruce tree.) **) Couldn't have asked for more; thanks!

That's all I've got. Actually, I have a LOT of pictures, but I've got to finish going through them. 8) Pics soon...

Note: photo releases were signed at this event. Any pictures posted here (or above) may be used by the promo team.
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Reformed Redneck

To all:

Evenstar gave you all a pretty comprehensive account of the shoot. We had some really dedicated folks who showed they have the persistence of a Rifleman. Only Steve made his patch, but there were several who will no doubt follow him at their next opportunity.

Special thanks really do go to our host Jack Dolan, who made us feel almost a part of the family. At several points he offered a welcome helping hand. He had some very kind and complementary things to say about our program, and has offered to set some additional dates for this year.

Congratulations to Heather (ModeMama) on her repeat Rifleman scores. Now on to the IIT trail! For those who may not know it, she is an Apple Core volunteer also.

Thanks also to all of the instructors who came and invested their time and talents in making this a successful and enjoyable event.

We had a journalist from the Cheney Free Press stop by Saturday just in time for 1st and 2nd Strikes. He took a lot of notes. The article will be out some time this week. We'll see how it turns out.

I'm sure photos will follow, so those interested will get an eyefull of what the shoot was like.

See you on the Trail.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Evenstar

OK, narrowed down my pictures from 280-something to 33 to post. ;D I know WR also has some good ones.

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Evenstar

More...

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Evenstar

Last ones. Scott, Heather, looking forward to seeing your pictures as well. :)

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Western Rose

Note: photo releases were signed at this event. Any pictures posted here (or above) may be used by the promo team.

First, a HUGE thank you to Jack for allowing us to use your range!!! It was fantastic!

Scott, Heather, I know this AAR will now have a bunch of pictures, but I still want to see yours.  ;)

Now, for a few of the pictures I took....

Saturday Morning on the way to the range

A hardy group of shooters and instructors came together

EERT spent some time giving one on one instruction to two of our younger shooters. Jessa and Maggie did well.

Going down range to check their targets

EERT told a wonderful First Strike followed by Roland's great Second Strike

Less than five minutes into EERTs First Strike, our reporter showed up. He promptly received a great dose of American Heritage.

The Shoot Boss listening closely

Roland instructing the sitting position shortly after lunch with Still Learnin demoing

RL made a few of us feel rather short....

And then Scott walks up and you suddenly feel REALLY short

The Trio

Lauryn wanted to try out the sitting position. Now to work on her NPOA.

The sad thing is, my camera makes it look like it's hardly spinning. The fact of the matter is that it was a blur... BTW, can you see the one white petal?

Mother and Daughter

"Mag out, bolt back, safety on, flag in" - verbatim every time

EERT paying close attention

RL told a great Third Strike mid-afternoon

The weather began to change dramatically

Yet the sun continued to shine on us... for a time....

Pulling Saturday Evening Redcoats

Cleaning up after a day of shooting.

And thus ended Day 1 of an amazing Appleseed. We were instructing by 8:50am and were completely cleaned up and in the truck at 4:30pm. We were able to spend some extra time working on transitions, got through everything we wanted to and more, and fit in two AQTs!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Scott

Whew...I have modified this post 10 times now trying to get pictures posted.  There has got to be an easier way!

Well here are a couple....make sure you enlarge the photos, especially on the last one!

Western Rose

Ah... And I did forget to mention that there was a bit of lightening and thunder as we listened to the closing speech from the Shoot Boss at the end of Saturday.

Now for the pictures of Sunday!

"Washington's Youngest Instructor" or "Wearing Daddy's Hat"

Sunday a some more people joined our group

EERT giving a review of the prone position with Evenstar demoing

RL giving a review of the Six Steps

And then Scott got out his camera :o ^:)^

On Saturday, Heather (ModeMama) shot a Rifleman score with her .22 On Sunday, she shot it with her iron sighted AR. ^:)^

Shortly after receiving their special patch

Evenstar and Roland scoring targets

Steve worked through many equipment issues, yet persisted through it all. The end result? A 224! Well done! O0

After cleaning everything up, Lauryn took a picture of the Medical Lake, WA Instructor Crew. It was great to work with you all again!

And then ModeMama told us, "I told Scott that I would take an orange hat after I shot Rifleman with my iron sighted AR." :cool2: O0 Followed shortly thereafter with "I didn't think it would happen this soon!" ;D

An Appleseeding Family

Lauryn had a great attitude all weekend long.

And I'll leave you with this sight....

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

06en

Congradulations to ALL the shooters who were actually on the line. No finer place to be than at an Appleseed. Glad to hear that all of you folks had a wonderful time.

So now back to work I go... 06en  ~~:)
QuoteCongratulations to Heather (ModeMama) on her repeat Rifleman scores. Now on to the IIT trail! For those who may not know it, she is an Apple Core volunteer also.

So uh, another IIT/AC? Uh...which state?

Western Rose

Quote from: 06en on May 03, 2011, 12:08:50 AM
So now back to work I go... 06en  ~~:)
QuoteCongratulations to Heather (ModeMama) on her repeat Rifleman scores. Now on to the IIT trail! For those who may not know it, she is an Apple Core volunteer also.

So uh, another IIT/AC? Uh...which state?

Well... uh.... Is there such a thing as a two stated person? 'cause I think we've got a lot of those...  :o Officially? I think she actually falls under Washington. Unofficially? Uh..... Idaho's got her on their list too since she's just soooo close! ;) ;D

By the way, for those of you who don't know, ModeMama is also on RW's admin team.  ^:)^

50th Appleseed

eert

Greetings shooters!

Even thought the weather left much to be desired on Saturday, we saw major improvement.  Thanks for coming out and getting the instruction and hearing the heritage!
I think the weather was actually worse than the Coeur d'Alene February Winterseed at ~20 degrees!  A fine example of dedication and perseverance.

Curtis and Stacy- you are so close.  A wee bit of dry fire practice before your next shoot, and I'll bet you'll be sporting a couple of patches (and maybe an orange hat!).

Audra and Matt, good progress, sorry to have missed you on Sunday.  I hope to see you again, maybe with some better sights!

Bo and Co.,  I didn't get on your end of the line much , but it was good to meet you.  hope to see you again.

Patrick, bud-sorry you weren't feeling well and had to bail early.  RM patch in CDA!!!!

Steve,  talk about PERSISTENCE.  Never have I seen a shooter struggle through so many rifle and ammo issues, but what a result!  I thoroughly enjoyed working with your daughters.

Heather- way to go with the Iron sighted AR.  Welcome to the cadre.  Watching Lauryn's breathing cycle and  trigger squeeze was probably the highlight of the shoot for me!

Instructor's - its always a pleasure to work with you.  RL, good to meet and work with you.  You set a high mark for the Third strike!

Jack of the Lone Pine Range- Thank you sir for the use of the range. 

Hope to see you all again.  In the meantime, persist.

Scott

I just wanted to say thanks to the team.  Lauryn had a great time, boy was she tired!  A special thanks goes out to Leslie and Heather for taking Lauryn under their wings.  I think you have made a lifetime friend.

It turned out to be a great range.  Jack called me today and had nothing but good things to say about the program.  As a matter of fact he said that he was "impressed", which he doesn't say that very often.

Scott

Cluffy

Man was that a great time!  My daughters, Maggie and Jessa both had a great time and can't wait to go to another!  Dad is a bit sore, especially my right elbow, loading thumb, left knee, ect., ect., not to mention sunburned from Sunday, still wouldn't trade the time for anything.

I want to Thank all the instuctors for your help, especially those of you helping out with my girls, I really appreciated it.  I've wanted to come to one of these for a long time but their experience at the shoot was much more important!  They learned a lot and had fun to boot.

Jack, we thank you for use of your range.  The girls just loved looking at all the photos and stuff you have up on the walls!  It is an awesome place you have out there and we really enjoy shooting there.

I've been shooting .22s for about 24 years now and in one weeked you guys took me from a 117 on the AQT to a 224!  You guys are the best, not to mention persistant ~~:), thanks for keeping on me about my "happy finger".

It was a good weekend and Sunday was the best, nice weather, nice shooting with my daughters, got my Rifleman patch then went home and BBQed some ribs and found out they got Bin Laden!  Doesn't get any better than that!

A special THANK YOU to all the servicemen and women out there!   Thank you for helping protect this country and the future for my kids.

May your shot be true and powder be dry,

Steve   
As you look upon Ol' Glory flying remember that there are a lot of men dead so that you may sleep in peace tonight.

Odds  are the only two who have ever died for you is the American Serviceman and Jesus.

John 15:13

06en

Curtis, I'm glad I got a chance to speak with you so soon after the great time you and Stacey had at this shoot. As I told ya earlier I'm looking at figuring out schedules for another Yakima event or more+++.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't get out to Medical Lake to shoot with ya, but there is always another time.

Cluffy

I hope nobody minds, I saw that flag picture from the shoot and just had to make it my avitar.
As you look upon Ol' Glory flying remember that there are a lot of men dead so that you may sleep in peace tonight.

Odds  are the only two who have ever died for you is the American Serviceman and Jesus.

John 15:13

Evenstar

We had a call from Jack this evening. He wants us back! Looks like we'll be back in Medical Lake on July 30-31!!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ He's already 7th stepping his shotgun group and his hunters' ed group too. O0

By the way, Steve, great to see you on the forum! Glad the girls (and you!) enjoyed coming out. :)

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

TruTenacity

That is great news, evenstar!

Maybe I will be able to join you then and maybe .... just maybe the family will see you retire your Orange Hat and get the Red one! 

(I sure hope our neighbors will be able to take care of the animals.)
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

06en

Will this be written in stone soon?
Quote from: Evenstar on May 03, 2011, 11:47:43 PM
We had a call from Jack this evening. He wants us back! Looks like we'll be back in Medical Lake on July 30-31!!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ He's already 7th stepping his shotgun group and his hunters' ed group too. O0

By the way, Steve, great to see you on the forum! Glad the girls (and you!) enjoyed coming out. :)

Also
Quotejust maybe the family will see you retire your Orange Hat and get the Red one! 
This Might be something that I have to witness myself. ;) Afterall I couldn't possibly think about getting my RH before Evenstar  ~~:) has one, could I?

Evenstar

Quote from: 06en on May 04, 2011, 12:28:53 AM
Will this be written in stone soon?
Quote from: Evenstar on May 03, 2011, 11:47:43 PM

Also
Quotejust maybe the family will see you retire your Orange Hat and get the Red one! 
This Might be something that I have to witness myself. ;) Afterall I couldn't possibly think about getting my RH before Evenstar  ~~:) has one, could I?

Reformed Redneck should be working on getting the new date in to the EIP team soon. Then we'll be all set. :cool2:

Brian ~~:), you had better be there!!! Heheheh... >:D We could get our red hats together, how's that? ;)

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

06en

can't outsmart  ..:..   Evenstar <---

Ratchett

Well done WA and ID!!! Beautiful pictures too!!

I will be watching for 2 bright shiny redhats ^:)^ ^:)^ Just wish I could be there to witness :'(  Best wishes Evenstar and O6en!!!

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Scott

I wanted to post some more pictures because this thread doesn't nearly have enough.

Here's the exploding candy picture again (I think it is cool!)...it may be easier to see.

Heather helping out Lauryn.

Nice profile RL.

Experience shows...the two repeat rifleman beating everyone else to prone.

Leslie helping out the other Heather.

Evenstar

Julia, PM sent. ;)

Scott, I love that first picture. And thanks for the rest! O0

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Earl

Very nice Appleseed, the storm cloud pictures are great! WR. Lots of other great pictures, it took me just a bit but I am almost certain that I have met Scott and Heather in Idaho before, glad the family is still shooting WELL together. Thanks for taking up the hats, Heather.  Medicine Lake, WA. Interesting. 8)
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Sefus

Bo here, big thanks to all involved and looking forward to seeing everyone (plus) at the next shoot. I had some very good instruction from the guys and gals who devoted a little bit of extra push with me to work out of some bad habits and back into into the score range of ~200 that I started with three years ago and it is much appreciated. Here's a snip from an AAR I put on another board I frequent:

"
My two friends that went I think both really enjoyed it and... I think it was a bit of a 'come to adulthood' in regards to shooting for him. The foundation of shooting I believe he got this day will be very good for him. He shoots his AK, mosin, 10/22... but never had even basic safety rules laid out there so Im happy he went. My younger friend (of the two) that went is definitely into learning the ways of the rifleman."

Yes I did just quote myself and it is awesome. I'll be looking forward to the article in the Free Press. This area is ripe with country folk who are ready for Appleseed, they just dont know it yet.

-Sefus

Roland

Feelin' a little late to the party, but feel like I should post anyway.

Great pics by all our photography crew although Scott's pics come in HUGE on my screen!

Great working with all our instructor crew, you guys are the greatest.

Steve, excellent score on that. Once again, this guy really persisted, through four different rifles and three different ammo combinations. Finally found something that works, and it paid off. Amen to what you said, great day to be an American. And how better to celebrate then to shoot and talk about history?

Heather W., good shooting, and welcome to the cadre.

Bo, so close, but not quite. I trust we'll be seeing you again though.

Curtis, much the same, and I hope some of us can get a shoot a little closer to you soon.

Matt and Audra, good job on Saturday, and a shame I didn't see you on Sunday.

Our Junior shooters: good safe shooting ;)

Hope that's everybody!

Dirk/Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec