News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Toccoa, GA Oct 23-24

Started by friedenmeister, October 25, 2010, 12:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

friedenmeister

We had a great weekend in Toccoa and hope everybody will chime in here and let the world know how much fun we had. Go ahead and upload any pictures you have as well. Five individuals became riflemen this weekend and we got a new orange hat as well. Those of you who are close to getting the patch, we hope to see you again in three weeks!

Friedenmeister
"Aggressive wars, income taxes, national IDs, domestic spying, torture regimes, secret prisons, Federal Reserve manipulation -- we don't have to take it anymore." -- Ron Paul

Appalacious

Weather could not have been any better.  Lots of turnout, which means lots of shooting.  This range has multiple lines which really makes it easy to direct instruction where needed.  Beginners can benefit from extra attention and slower pace, while experienced appleseeders can really scream through the AQTs on a different line.

oh yeah, and they have 300 yds.  :---

Take advantage of this range if you can.  Very productive location.
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Doug Carlton

Outstanding weather, what a beautiful place to be in the fall.

Are these things starting to get crowded or what? What did we have, 50 folks? 3 lines and we were still shoulder to shoulder (which is embarrassing when the lady next to you is outshooting you - nowhere to hide).

Orange Hat Chris did an outstanding job on the shotgun range, give him a raise, Sanderman is perpetually hilarious and we are all grateful. Flathead got us thru the end of the day and even got a little nostalgic recounting training the soldiers at Fort Stewart. He's a heck of a guy.

And then there's our fearless shootboss friedenmeister. Will someone please put his name in the hat for Representative next time he leaves the room? I'll move to his District to vote for him. Those weenies in DC could learn a thing or two about themselves from listening to him, I sure have.

Appreciate all of the volunteers, you guys are changing the world.
Is enforcing the latest bit of bureaucratic insolence really worth anyone's life?

sanderman79

I wanted to say that I am blessed and honored that I was able to spend the weekend with a fine bunch of Americans. It was a great weekend with great for the weather. We had 5 riflemen joins the ranks and Lloyd took a orange hat. So it was a great weekend all around. I am looking foward to the next weekend.

Raymon

Mrs.rej1022

Had a really great time at the Toccoa Appleseed last weekend! I learned so much, both about marksmanship and history. Really enjoyed meeting new people who love America and love guns. Will probably return at some point after I've recovered. :P Not sure if this is the correct place to make suggestions, but I do have one. If the Instructors and IITs could kindly ask the center-fire rifle owners to move to the right end of the line so as to minimize noise and the amount of hot brass flying around, that would be a big help to beginners like me who aren't used to big guns and big shells. Thanks again to all the Instructors and IITs who gave up their time to help us out.

rvmaccargar13

Myself and my family had a great time....could only stay for Saturday.  Look forward to our next shoot.  Thank you to all the volunteers who put on a great event.

cswhitfield

The weather was great and the shooter were even better.  It was a pleasure to be among fellow Americans participating in an event that is unique in this world today.  It was also a pleasure to assist (I hope), observe and learn from some of the finest instructors around.  Thank you to shooters and instructors alike.

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

A few more pics
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

Ditto

cswhitfield

a few more

cswhitfield

more

cswhitfield

And finally the real reason our Shoot Boss is so good.  His personal PMI!!

nyrasgt

My understanding is that, usually, the spotter takes up a position to the right of the (right-handed) shooter.
Don't think I've seen the tandem position before...but if the spotter needs the extra elevation...why not?
Must be dry firing demo, as no hearing protection in evidence on the spotter...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

shaftoe

What a wonderful weekend and what a wonderful group of people to spend it with.  It's especially nice to see so many families out enjoying the weather and shooting together. 

Mrs Rej1022: We generally try to move centerfires to the right.  Sometimes other reasons move them a bit leftward (being near children, etc).  Please, let us know if a situation exists that could be fixed.  Sometimes we fail to notice things like where brass is landing.  We are happy to shift people around or create brass deflectors.  Our goal is to do everything possible to make your weekend more successful. 

Chris

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. --Edmund Burke

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.  --Theodore Roosevelt

Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

BigDog

HAD A  O0GREAT TIME AT APPLESEED!!!  Thanks to God for the beautiful weather we had this past weekend!  And thanks to all the volunteers!  I appreciate you guys taking the time to come out spend your weekend with us newbies.  We had a blast and Connor shot Rifleman!  Two father/son(s) families came with us this time to shoot and I know they'll be back.  In fact, we're all working on getting there again in November.  Looking forward to seeing you guys again and shooting Rifleman.  Great Job!

lowside

Just wanted to chime in and say I also had a great weekend!  Perfect weather, great company, and I finally shot Rifleman so Deadeye will stop harassing me (about that at least :) ). 

Thanks again to all the instructors, without your patient tutelage I never would have been able to do it.  I'm excited about putting on an orange hat and I don't think I could ask for a better group of folks to learn the ropes from.

Deadeye

Thanks to all the shooters and Instructors who came out!

It's a rare weekend at Toccoa that we don't have near-apocalyptic weather conditions. This past weekend was fantastic in that regard.

The shooters I had on my line were some of the most attentive I've ever worked with. Thank you! It's nice not having to cover the same ground twice because someone was trying to remember the words to "Louie, Louie" in their head during instruction.

We had excellent Instructor turnout as well. Thanks, guys!

Special thanks to Adam for providing lunch for the Instructors and other staff on Saturday, and to Flathead and family for hosting the Instructor dinner/ After Action Meeting!

Lowside, congratulations on that Rifleman score! I'm sure that I can find something else to be disappointed about now that you've taken an Orange Hat!

oldredtop

Just like to add my thanks to all the instructors and staff.  They were all very professional, and struck a very nice balance between zero tolerance safety protocols and "let's have some fun shootin' "... O0

It was my son's and mine first Appleseed and it exceeded my expectations...we will be back.  My hope is to bring my 84 year old father(WWII vet) and my son back for the November Appleseed.  I made rifleman at this one and my son was only two misfires away from making it too.  It would be really great to have 3 generations of Appleseed certified riflemen in the family.  Even if the rigors of the timed AQT are too much for Dad, I know he would have a great time.

Add a +1 to the suggestion above for the high caliber shooters.  I had quite a bid of hot brass bouncing off me on Sunday...luckily I was protected by a shooting jacket.  Other than that it was FANTASTIC!

Carry on ye sons of Liberty!  :---

Brad

cswhitfield

I want to add my thanks to Adam and Flathead & Family for lunch and dinner.  The food was great!  The fact that y'all went to all the trouble to provide for us humbling.  THANK YOU

Craig

goose

We Aim to please!  You Aim, too, please! 

Apple Seed weekends are the best, and having a great crowd of Students and good weather to aid in the instruction makes for an outstanding 2 days.  I know I can speak for all the Instructors--we enjoy immensely the opportunity to spend our weekends with you--all we ask of you is a "Teachable Attitude".  In Adam's case, bringing the attitude AND lunch is priceless!

--Jim
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken