News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HELP NEEDED - The Wedding Portrait That Never Was

Started by Evenstar, August 23, 2010, 02:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evenstar

I have been asked to present this short story at an Appleseed shoot in two weeks, but I have found very little information on it. Does anyone have some info about this story that they would like to pass on? Any good tips for telling it? Notes?

Anything would be appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Evenstar
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

eaglescouter

Contact NorCal22Gal, she did this presentation Sunday at the Sacramento California Appleseed.

I don't think there was a dry eye in the audiance.  Must have been a lot of dust in the air...
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

dwarven1

I wish I'd thought to keep the author's name on this but I didn't. Anyway, here ya go.

Quote"Let me tell you a quick story, but one which brings to life some of the impact of the Rev War on people who were there, that first day.

"We heard about Dr Samuel Prescott, how he was returning home that young spring night, full of the spirit of youth, from courting his fiancee, Miss Lydia Mullikin, when he ran into Revere and Dawes, and agreed to help them alarm Concord. About how he escaped, and was in fact the one rider to get thru to alarm Concord.

"His plans, of course, included a wedding in his future. Because of the War, that wedding never took place.

"Let's look at what happened to some of the people who would have been at that wedding. Maybe there would even have been a portrait, showing the new bride, her new husband, her brother, his brother (the Best Man), and the preacher who officiated.

"At the end of the War, there was only person in that portrait who was alive.

"Dr. Samuel Prescott initially served in the militia, then joined the crew of a privateer, and was captured, dying in miserable conditions on a British prison ship in Halifax harbor. To our knowledge, Lydia never heard his fate. To her, he simply disappeared. She waited until the end of the war, and, when he did not return, eventually married someone else.

"Prescott's brother, the future Best Man, was returning from carrying the alarm to farther towns when he was shot by the British at the South Bridge in Concord. He lingered until August, before dying of the wound.

"Lydia's brother signed up with the milita, and died of camp fever.

"The Rev Emerson, a stout soul on April 19th, scurrying amongst his parishioners with musket, powder horn, his black clerical garb flapping, offering encouragement, also joined the militia, and died of 'camp fever'.

"If all that wasn't enough - no wedding, bridegroom dead, brother dead, minister dead - Lydia's house was one of the three Lexington houses burnt by Lord Percy that day.

"She lost her house, her husband-to-be, and her brother...

"Worse, she lost her future, all her plans and dreams, shattered by the War.

"Truly, few of us moderns understand the impact the War had on our founding generation."
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Western Rose

ES, try Old Glory! and Trisha for tips and stuff. Or SS. ;)

Dwarven, That one would be Fred's...

Quote from: dwarven1 on August 23, 2010, 03:29:10 PM
I wish I'd thought to keep the author's name on this but I didn't. Anyway, here ya go.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

NorCal22Gal

I'm gonna send Evenstar what I did....If you would like i can post it here too.  Just give me some time to type it up. 

NorCal22Gal

Evenstar

Thanks, eaglescouter; I sent her a message.

Thank you too, Dwarven. O0

Quote from: Western Rose on August 23, 2010, 04:00:17 PM
ES, try Old Glory! and Trisha for tips and stuff. Or SS. ;)

SS already gave me what she had on it. Which turned out to be the same as Fred's.

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 23, 2010, 04:08:59 PM
I'm gonna send Evenstar what I did....If you would like i can post it here too.  Just give me some time to type it up. 

NorCal22Gal

That's probably a good idea so other people can reference it.

If anyone else has something on this, or tips for the presentation, please feel free to share.

~ES

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

dwarven1

Please do post - I'm always looking for new material.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

dart67eb

I'm weaving this into my presentation at the Campaign for liberty meeting tonight.  If it goes well, It'll be my standard stump speech.  Feel free to comment or use as you'd like.

I'm xxxxxxxx, an instructor with The Appleseed Project.

How many of you have heard of it?

How many of you have heard of Paul Revere?  (1/4 of Americans don't even know who we fought to gain our independence.)

How many of you have heard of Dr Samuel Prescott?

"Let me tell you a quick story, but one which brings to life some of the impact of the Rev War on people who were there, that first day.

"Dr Samuel Prescott, a young, gifted, patriot was returning home that young spring night, full of the spirit of youth, from courting his fiancee, Miss Lydia Mullikin, when he ran into Revere and Dawes, and agreed to help them alarm Concord.  He escaped, and was in fact the one rider to get thru to alarm Concord.

"His plans, of course, included a wedding in his future. Because of the War, that wedding never took place.

"Let's look at what happened to some of the people who would have been at that wedding. Maybe there would even have been a portrait, showing the new bride, her new husband, her brother, his brother (the Best Man), and the preacher who officiated.

"At the end of the War, there was only one person in that portrait who was alive.

"Dr. Samuel Prescott initially served in the militia, then joined the crew of a privateer, and was captured, dying in miserable conditions on a British prison ship in Halifax harbor. To our knowledge, Lydia never heard his fate. To her, he simply disappeared. She waited until the end of the war, and, when he did not return, eventually married someone else.

"Prescott's brother, the future Best Man, was returning from carrying the alarm to farther towns when he was shot by the British at the South Bridge in Concord. He lingered until August, before dying of the wound.

"Lydia's brother signed up with the milita, and died of camp fever.

"The Rev Emerson, a stout soul on April 19th, scurrying amongst his parishioners with musket, powder horn, his black clerical garb flapping, offering encouragement, also joined the militia, and died of 'camp fever'.

"If all that wasn't enough - no wedding, bridegroom dead, brother dead, minister dead - Lydia's house was one of the three Lexington houses burnt by Lord Percy that day.

"She lost her house, her husband-to-be, and her brother...

"Worse, she lost her future, all her plans and dreams, shattered by the War.

"Truly, few of us moderns understand the impact the War had on our founding generation."

What they did was give us a choice.  Their choice was fight or submit.  One or the other.  They chose to fight so that we could have a third choice.  We can be citizens and get involved in the civic process and hold our representatives accountable.

One other thing about our founders that let them beat the best, most feared army in the world was that they were marksmen. 

The Appleseed Project has been called by some, "A history lesson disguised as a marksmanship clinic." 

We are an apolitical, all volunteer org that conducts two day marksmanship clinics nationwide.  We also talk about the sacrifices our founders made so that we can have the liberties we enjoy today.

Our marksmanship goal is to teach you to take a rack grade rifle and surplus ammo and shoot 4moa from field positions.  In other words, hit a milk jug at 250 yds from field positions.  Just you, the rifle and a sling.  No benches or sandbag rests.

If you can score a 210 or better on the AQT, you will earn a Rifleman's patch and be invited back as an instructor in training. 

Our heritage goal is to help you understand the sacrifices made by our founders so that you can enjoy the freedoms you have today and to 'get you off the couch' and get involved in running your country.

We will have 1000 events and 20,000 attendees this year alone.  We even train active duty military to give those soldiers a better chance of making it home.  We are doubling every year.  Under 21, women, active duty military and elected officials are free.  We charge others $70 for both days just to cover costs.

We have been covered by the NYT, the WAPO and Fox News, some as hit pieces and others fair and balanced.  We have links to these at our website.

Remember, our heritage is a country of riflemen.  Nothing is more distasteful to tyranny than an informed and armed electorate.  Maybe that why they were listed as the first and second amendments. 

We have our next clinic on September 25-26 and I hope to see you there.  Bring someone or send someone.  Help us once again become a nation of riflemen.

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Evenstar on August 23, 2010, 04:12:42 PMIf anyone else has something on this, or tips for the presentation, please feel free to share.

~ES
Tell it from your heart.  Tell it like you are Lydia, and let the audience experience your pain.  The rest takes care of itself.  And don't be afraid to get emotional - that's what our job is, to get our students to truly understand the sacrifices and choices that were made for us.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

eaglescouter

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on August 23, 2010, 05:12:23 PM
Quote from: Evenstar on August 23, 2010, 04:12:42 PMIf anyone else has something on this, or tips for the presentation, please feel free to share.

~ES
Tell it from your heart.  Tell it like you are Lydia, and let the audience experience your pain.  The rest takes care of itself.  And don't be afraid to get emotional - that's what our job is, to get our students to truly understand the sacrifices and choices that were made for us.
MJA

NorCal22Gal told the story in the First Person, she was Lydia.  As for the rest, I'll let her tell it her way so you can hear it correctly.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

SamD

QuoteTell it from your heart.  Tell it like you are Lydia, and let the audience experience your pain.

If they ain't crying when you get done  :'( you didn't do it right !

NorCal22Gal

there were several with "dust in their eyes...." :D

I'll get it typed up after i do my aar....

:D

Evenstar

Thank you all. Every little bit helps as I find it very hard to speak in front of a crowd.

NorCal... AARs are important. ~~:) ;) ;) 'Dust in their eyes'? Good; I don't want my mom and sis to out-do me. They make everyone cry with the strikes!

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

NorCal22Gal

I'll send you the letter from Hannah Wintrop to Mercy Warren too.......the last paragraph i can't read it with out crying.....

Old Glory!

NCG,
Please send them to me, too.

Here are my notes on the people of the wedding portrait: 

Lydia's brother, Nathaniel Mulliken, survived the skirmish on the Green only to die of Camp fever at age 24 while with the army in Boston.

Dr. Samuel Prescott joined the Continental Army and was later captured and died miserably in prison.  Lydia waited for him for eight years, but never knew his fate.

Dr. Abel Prescott carried the alarm to Farmingham and Sudbury.  He was shot at the South Bridge as he returned to Concord, and was forced to hide in Mrs. Heywood's house to escape.  He died of his wounds, but not until August of 1775 at age 26, suffering from his wounds for four months.

Rev. William Emerson was Chaplain to the Provincial Congress when it met in Concord in 1774.  On the morning of april 19, he lent courage to men who took up arms, strengthening their resolve by assuring them that their cause was just and God would bless them.  He died of Camp fever while serving with the Continental Army in 1776. 

I usually try to include the students when telling the story by picking volunteers to stand in the "portrait".  Then have them step out of the picture as I tell their demise.   I am not sure this is as effective as telling the story in the first person, but it does involve the students which is a good thing. 

"The Wedding Portrait that Never Was:  The True Cost of the Revolutionary War".   

OG

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 23, 2010, 05:51:07 PM
I'll send you the letter from Hannah Wintrop to Mercy Warren too.......the last paragraph i can't read it with out crying.....

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

TruTenacity

NCG,

Even though ES is in the same home as I am and thus I'll be able to read what you send her, please post here too.  It will be a great help to others.

TruT.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

NorCal22Gal

Ok here it is. Sorry it took a while.

The Wedding Portrait that Never Happened....Lydia Mulliken's story

I set this up by having instructors stand up with me as Samuel Prescott, Able Prescott, Nathaniel Mulliken, and Rev. Emerson.  As you tell of each one going off to the war and dying, they walk away from you, until you are left standing alone. 
You really need to feel this one.  It's ok if your voice breaks or tears fall. 

"Hello, my name is Lydia Mulliken.  You've probably never hear of me before, but I'd like to tell you about the wedding portrait that never happened.

You may not know my name, but you are familiar with my fiancé, Dr. Samuel Prescott.  (look at the person playing Dr. Prescott).  We were planning our wedding and our future that night of April 18, 1775.  When he left, it was early morning on the 19th.  If you remember he road with Paul Revere and William Dawes.  Samuel got away and was able to warn Concord that the Regulars were coming.  He and his family warned many others.  That was the last I saw of him.  I waited 8 years to find out what happened to him.  He was captured in 1777 and died on a British prison ship in Halifax. ("Samuel" should leave now)

My future Brother-in-Law Able Prescott (Look at Able) was one of the express riders who helped alarm the countryside.  He was wounded later in April,  then died in August from his wounds. ("Able should leave now)

My brother Nathaniel, left with the militia and joined the army. (look at brother)  He died later of Camp Fever. (Nathaniel should leave)

Reverend Emerson would have married us.  He went with the militia to minister to his men.  He too died of the awful camp fever. (Rev. Emerson leaves)

My house was one of the three that Lord Percy decided to burn to "teach us a lesson"!

So I stand here alone.  No fiancé, no brother-in-law, no brother, Rev. Emerson gone.  My house gone.

BUT I STAND HERE FREE!!!

The men in my life had two choices; to fight maybe to die for our liberties or to be slaves.  They chose to fight.  They made their choice.

You may not remember my name, but remember them and the sacrifice they made for you so you could have a 3rd choice. 
Use it and don't forget."

Hope this works.  I know the detail are in the back section of Paul Revere's Ride.

NorCal22Gal

Here is the other story.  I forgot that i posted it elsewhere.  It's another one that is a tear jerker...especially to me the last couple line.

Letter from a book called "The Women of the American Revolution" by Elizabeth Fries Ellet. Written in 1848.  Dedicated to her mother Sarah Maxwell Lummis, the daughter of a revolutionary officer, this work is respectfully and affectionately inscribed.

Excerpt from a letter from Hannah Winthrop to her very good friend Mercy Warren (wife of Colonel James Warren)

"Nor can I ever forget, nor will old time ever erase the horrors of that midnight cry, preceding the bloody massacre at Lexington, when we were roused from the benign slumbers of the season, by beat of drum and ringing of bells, with the dire alarm that a thousand of the troops of George the Third had gone forth to murder the peaceful inhabitants of the surrounding villages.  A few hrs, with the dawning day, convinced us the bloody purpose was executing; the platoon firing assuring us the rising sun must witness the bloody carnage.  Not knowing what the even would be at Cambridge, at the return of these bloody ruffians, and seeing another brigade dispatched to the assistance of the former, looking with the ferocity of barbarians, it seemed necessary to retire to some place of safety, till the calamity was passed.  After dinner we set out, not knowing whiter we went.  We were directed to a place called Fresh-pond, about a mile from the town; but what a distressed house did we find it, filled with women whose husbands had gone forth to meet the assailants, 70 or 80 of these (with numberless infant children) weeping and agonizing for the fate of their husbands.  In addition to this scene of distress, we were for sometime in sight of the battle; the glittering instrument of death proclaiming by an incessant fire that much blood must be shed; that many widowed and orphaned ones must be left as monuments of British barbarity.  Another uncomfortable night we passed; some nodding off in their chairs, some resting their weary limbs on the floor.  The welcome harbingers of day gave notice of its dawning light.  It brings no news.  It is unsafe to return to Cambridge, as the enemy were advancing up the river, and fixing on the town to stay in.

"Thus with precipitancy we were driven to the town of Anderson, following some of our acquaintance-five of us to be conveyed with one poor tired horse and chaise; thus we began our pilgrimage, alternately walking and riding, the roads filled with frightened women and children; some in carts with their tattered furniture, others on foot fleeing into the woods.  But what added greatly to the horrors of the scene, was our passing through the bloody field at Monotong, which was strewed with the mangled bodies.  We met one affectionate father with a cart, looking for his murdered son, and picking up his neighbors who had fallen in battle, in order for their burial."

kentuckyjam

Lydia's shop was also part of her house so she also lost her livelyhood. 

I challenge you to imagine being engaged, thinking every day of your wedding day that is soon to come.  With that, comes 'your' telling of the story.

Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

NorCal22Gal

My hubby, eaglescouter, was Samuel.....Thinking about sending him off to war that way.... :'(

Evenstar

Thanks, NorCal and kyjam. Time to put notes together. :cool2:

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

NorCal22Gal

Best of luck.  Have fun and enjoy.  Feel it from the heart.  Don't know if you have a boyfriend. if not imagine sending your dad or brother off.....

Hope it brings tears.

NorCal22Gal

Fred

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 26, 2010, 02:20:04 AM
Ok here it is. Sorry it took a while.
Samuel got away and was able to warn Concord that the Regulars were coming.  He and his family warned many others.  That was the last I saw of him.  I waited 8 years to find out what happened to him.  He was captured in 1777 and died on a British prison ship in Halifax.

Since we care very much in this program to "get the facts straight" the part in bold is an overstatement.

I doubt not that Prescott was able to see Lydia again - prob within a day or two of 4/19, if only to assure himself of her safety, after her house had been burned.

If not then, before he marched off with the milita unit he later joined.

If not then, certainly before he left to go to sea on the privateer.

Only after he sailed on the privateer is it likely they never saw each other again...

It's a minor point, but we need to keep to minor points. It's part of our respect for the history of those days.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

TBE

Quote from: kyjam on August 26, 2010, 07:38:51 AM
I challenge you to imagine being engaged, thinking every day of your wedding day that is soon to come.  With that, comes 'your' telling of the story.

KYJAM knows her stuff.  She hammered this story at Knob creek earlier this summer. 

When she told us about the expectations of a bride to be, looking forward to wearing the dress, being a bride, and losing all of that on top of losing her fiance, house, her protector and her future plans, it was personal. 
She finished up and I saw several people look from her to her husband swallow deeply and look away. 

It was a moment of somber reflection for all of us. 

I took notes.
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

kentuckyjam

What a compliment.  Thank you. 

With the way you write, I can't wait to hear you do history, TBE.  I bet I'll be so taken back I'll ignore that northern accent.  O0
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

Chainsaw

In case anyone is curious like me... I'll save you the google time.

Camp fever is typhus. 

Nice job.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

NorCal22Gal

Paul Revere's Ride
page 287
"Dr. Samuel Prescott, who carried Revere's message to Concord, became a surgeon in the Continental Army, and later joined the crew of a New England privateer.  He was captured by the Royal Navy and held prisoner in Halifax, where he died miserably in 1777, as did many thousands of America prisoners in British hands.  His fiance' Lydia Mulliken had no word of him and waited faithfully until peace came in 1783."

Fred

Man, where else can you go on the 'net to debate the timing of 200-year-old issues? :)

The quote is no doubt accurate, but it does not specify the "from when" did she not have word. In other words, when would she have last seen or heard from him?

It makes sense when he left militia service for him to make a visit home, possibly to decide on his next course of action. If he came home, he saw Lydia (we all know that, right?).

Maybe some internet research will turn up something more concrete, but there's so many of these unanswered (and now pretty much unanswerable) questions that we have to fill in with the likely probabilities.

It's possible Prescott heard about a great opportunity to sign on and make the big bucks on a privateer, got "a wild hair", instantly quit the militia, and sailed without ever returning home, and seeing Lydia.

Possible, but probably not as likely as a more deliberate course of events as I first outlined above.

Family was very important in those days. Also, there being a war on, the future very uncertain. I'd think he want to see his family, and most certainly, Lydia, before he embarked on his nautical adventure. He'd want to see her, one last time, if his new course proved to be a bad choice, as indeed it did.

It doesn't detract from the story in any way to allow for the probabilities. And maybe some internet research would narrow down some of those probabilities...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Evenstar

I'm curious: do we know anything about Lydia's father? ???

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Another D.O.M.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Prescott.  Under the heading Early Life the second paragraph indicates Lydia's father was a Lexington clockmaker who had died in 1767.  You may need to take a trip to the Lexington records dept. to find out more - if any records still exist.

Here's an interesting side note: It seems that Lydia was married in March of 1783 (http://www.rays-place.com/marrage/lexington-mar.htm) to a fellow named Joseph Burrill...  Our SC's last name is Burrell - an erie coincidence.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore