News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Allemans, PA 18-19 April 2009

Started by Truculent turtle, April 20, 2009, 10:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truculent turtle

Magnificant  weather,  a magnificant  range and  68 magnificant  American  Patriots that  gave  up  time,  energy, money and  family by getting  up  off  the  couch.  They  came  to  learn to shoot, or  shoot  better.  They  went  home  tired  but  full  of  true appreciation at  the  price of  our  liberty  and  full  of  commitment  to  take  more  personal  responsibility, for  themselves,  their  familes,  their  communities and  their  country, and change  the  direction  our  country  is  going.   I  was  humbled  to stand  before  them and  I thank  them  for  making  the  effort.

I  also  thank  the  instructors  that  made  the  effort.  For  four  of  the  five  it  was  their  first  Appleseed  under  the  orange  hat  but they  could  not  have  been   more  enthusiastic,  commited, knowledgeable  and  full  of  energy.  Sure made  it  easy on  my  part!!    Thank  you  Rob,  Ed, Woody, Ralph  and  Tom. 

Thanks  also to  Mooney, B964, and  others , I'm sure, for  doing  all  the  hard  work  before and  putting  this  shoot  together.  Thanks also  to  the  Reade Range  president,  Tom,  for giving  us  such  freedom  on a  really  great  range and  for arranging  a catered  lunch.

The  instructor  team  arrived  about  noon  on  Friday  and  after putting  up  the  target  backers on  the  carriages those  that  wanted  shot from  200  back  to  600 yds.  Then  a  visit  to  two  local  gun  stores,  well  nothing  is really  local  in  this  part  of  PA  but  still  it  was  well worth  the trip--so  many  toys,  so  little  time, and  money.  A trip  to Bubba's Burgers,  home  of  the  16  pounder,  yea,  that's  right  16 pounds.  The  next  day  the  instructor  staff  on  the  ground  by  07,  good  thing,  shooters  on  the  gound  very  shortly  there after but  registration  and  laying  out  of  equipment  went  very  smoothly, partially  because  of  the  enthusiasim  of  the  instructors  but also due to  the eagerness  of  the  shooters.  "Shooters, center up"  went  promptly  at  0830 and  we  were  on a  roll.  Saturdays are  sometimes  fustrating: the  admin,  safety,  the  initial  classes  but  this  crew  sat  up and paid attention and we  had  the  first  red coat  done  much  earlier  than  I  might  have expected, and  we  stayed  ahead on  the  POI  the  entire rest of  the  week end.

There  was one  difference  in  this  bunch  of  shooters  than  usual.  It  was  as if  we drew from a  different  part  of  the  population  than  normal.  More  families, more  young people,  more  women, not  the  normal  collection  of  shooting  enthusiasts.  Two  young  men, ages  7  and  8  came  with  their  Dad.  Their  perserverance  so  impressed  the  instructor staff  that  we made  special  recognition  of  them,  and  two  young  ladies plus  one other  female  shooter,a  nurse, for  their  efforts  as  most  improved.  Saturday  ended  without, frankly, too much  hope  of  many  Riflemen. Not  many were  even  close.  I  think  this  is  another indication  that  we  are  drawing  a  new  catorgory  of  Patriot,  one  without  as much  experience  with  firearms as  usual.

We  closed  Saturday  with  the  memorial  volley  fire.  The  American  flag  was lowered  to  half  mast,  the  names  read and  the first of 13 volleys  fired.  I  think  I  can  speak  with  certainty  for  the instructor staff, and  probably  most  of  the  shooters,  the  sound and  smoke  of  68 rounds  fired after  the  reading  of  the  names and  the flag cermony left  many a lump in  many a  throat.  We   reviewed  some  basics, and  shot one more  AQT and  left  the  range at  1900.  All  tired,  most  sore,  but  no  sense of  commitment  lost.

Sunday   started  with  all  the  shooters  mustered and  waiting  at  0800.  Sunday,  it  all  came  togther, one  Rifleman after  another  for a  total of  9  for  the  day.  Congratuations to Matt, Daryl, Jessica, Gardner, Andy, John, Brian, Tim and  Dave!!!  The  phrase "AQT Grind"  did  not  apply  here, each  successive  AQT  was  approached  with  enthusisam and  determination.  You  should  have  seen  the instructors!!  Actually at  a  trot  between  shooters, tool  bag  in  hand  to  square away  the inevitible  Sunday  malfunctions.  On  one  break  about  noon,  a  volunteer devotional  was  conducted, and  about  half of  the  shooters attended.  A  little later  in  the  day  the  Appleseed benediction  was given and  it  was  truly  encouraging  to see  eyes open, faces  receptive and   heads  nodding in  the  affirmative.  We  shot  the last  red  coat  about  1645 and  as  expected  the  shooters scrambled to  pack  for  the  trip  home--except  they  would  not  leave!!!  Six  approached  with  questions  on  how  to get involved,  many, almost all, actually,  came around  and  thanked  each instructor,  individually,  sought  us  out,  to  thank  us  for  being  there!!!  The  set  of  jaws,  the determination  on  their  faces and  the sincerity  in  the  eyes--how  can  you  not  love  this  job!!  Many  stood  and  shared  with  each other  their  feelings, and their  perception  of  how  the  weekend  was  a  significant event  in  their  lives.

Isn't  this  a great  job!!!

CooperGlocker

68 fellow patriots and not a single reply yet?

Firstly, I would like to thank all of the staff on hand for the excellent job done in both getting me closer to becoming a Rifleman, lighting a fire under the rear of my inner-patriot, and the awesome job in helping my fiancee bring out her inner Rifleman and rewarding her with the appropriate patch as proof!

Friday:

I was able to arrange with my boss to take a half a day off, and all time dependent tasks aside, I was able to leave work at 1230.  An hour of packing and a quick turn-around to grab something we forgot we were back on the road at 1330.  While we grabbed an item we forgot, we still forgot the folding chairs!  Our plans were to meet a friend of ours who also registered for this event in Pennsylvania.  Being New Jersey-ians, I always relish the opportunity to get out of this state whenever possible, especially if freedom related activities are involved, such as talking your mind and playing with firearms! :D

About an hour's driving later, we meet up at a PA Pike rest stop.  I hand off an FRS Radio so we can maintain a conversation between cars and otherwise keep the 5 hour drive lively.

A delay due to a Car fire and another rest stop or two later, we arrive at Reade Range at around 1830.  Still warm outside tents are quickly set up before the sun fully fades, and we enjoy an evening around a camp fire with fellow college aged students, adults, and their children.  As the fire dims and the temperature starts dipping, we retreat to our 3 layer military sleeping bags, the next best thing to sleeping at home!

Saturday:

0500, My eyes open and I realize I am very, very cold.  The sun is just starting to poke it's head up over the rolling hills of PA.  I lay still and try to get back to sleep again knowing that today is going to be a very busy and a very long day.  Not happening at that temperature.  I notice Jessica stirs and we decide we should get some breakfast and otherwise get ready for our 0800 start time.

We make the short trip to the end of the 1000 yard range, unpack everything but our rifles and follow the directions of the staff on hand.

The day starts out with a lecture, our safety briefing, a bit of history, and an introduction to the prone position and sling usage.  We start out with a Redcoat target just to gauge the range of skills present.  I am one of two that can call myself a 400m rifleman, although as the day wears on and the sun chips away at us, My first shots of the day will be my best shots of the day.

The day is kept lively by alternating between learning new positions, learning a bit more about the men and women that gave us the freedoms we enjoy today, a very tasty catered lunch of sandwiches, potato chips, and soda, and an introduction to the 4 stages of the AQT target.

Before the end of the day, we held the previously mentioned ceremony to honor the first fallen in the name of freedom.  It was a very emotionally charged moment.

At the end of the day, Brandon had a hankering for hot dogs cooked right over our camp fire.  A 2 hour journey to the nearest small town yielded great results, and we were able to get gasoline while we were there too.

Jessica's allergies were really getting to her, and we were both thankful that our first aid kits had everything she needed to help her get to sleep.  Between her allergies and our sunburn and soreness, we decided to get some sleep really early.  2130, both of us were passed out in our sleeping bags.  Before going to bed I scored my first 2 AQT's at 162 and 175.  I'd say not bad for a first timer.  I re-read a lot of the papers we were handed earlier in the day.  Lots of very motivating and informative reads.  I slept very well until 5 AM.

Sunday:

I recall waking up to hearing nearby campers noting "Well, someone's not going to be a happy camper, looks like the Volkswagen has a flat tire."  I know we're the only campers with a VW, so I decide to try and sleep for that next hour, but in fact, I am very well rested, and very cold.  Jessica stirs, gets up, gets out of the tent, and investigates.  She then wakes me and we walk to the restrooms.

I want to thank the gentleman with the 2 very mature children who helped us jack of the car with a proper jack instead of the little screw jack that comes with the car.  I want to thank everyone else that also assisted us in loosening the lug nuts.  I get to punch another hole in my "man card" for something I've done without a supervising family member.  I am thankful for full sized spares as well.  300 miles on a donut did not sound fun.

Sunday started a half an hour earlier, and we were about 5 minutes late due to packing up the tent and finishing up breakfast.  Jess wasn't feeling too good living on "fake food" (Mountain House dehydrated food and Military MREs).  The day started with another great lecture, a review on positions, the 6 steps to firing the shot, and we moved away from reviewing every string of shots we fire and were later reviewing 2 targets at a time.  The shots that were just fired no longer mattered.  They can't be changed, however, by listening to your targets, the next shots can be changed as they havn't been placed yet.

Jessica scored Rifleman with a target at 219 points.  As an asside, I chuckled when someone called her Riflewoman, and she immediately corrected them that she is proudly a Rifleman, exclaiming "The title is Rifleman, and that's what I earned!"  To confirm it wasn't a fluke, she shot her next target and got it again by a hair at 211.  I am very proud that my future wife is now a threat to tyranny at 400m.  Knowing to quit while she's ahead, and still getting beat up with allergies, I got to use the rest of her ammo.  We brought 400 rounds for each of us per the various recommendations and lists of items to bring.  I think 500 is more reasonable with about 50 rounds left over.  I have to take the opportunity here to thank Robbie who loaned me some 40 rounds to finish the final red AQT as well as the final Redcoat target.  I hope the cap full of brass (I estimate some 200 rounds worth of once fired PMC brass) helped as a repayment.  I also hope I didn't let you down in that my best score for the weekend was 205.  So close, but it's motivation to practice!  The last pieces of the LTR are coming in the mail and both Jessica and I will be able to practice very frequently.  I am hoping she is willing to act on Step 7: Teach others to become riflemen.  And even if I score well on practice AQT's, I still need to get out to the next Appleseed, and maybe even the one after that.

Once all was said and done, we were the last group of students to leave the range.  We thanked everyone many times over for their time and instruction, their motivation and helpful advice, and for being there.

Our 5 hour drive back had our FRS radios in near constant use as we all spoke about our experiences, when we're next going to an Appleseed event, getting Appleseed at our local range, and all of our plans for the future as American Patriots.

Thanks again to all of the instructors for reaching out and waking up the sleeping rifleman within me and my friends and family.

I will see what I can do about getting some pictures posted this evening.  I still have another rifle to clean.  AR's get dirty. :D
- Coop

Truculent turtle

Great  AAR!!  Thank  you  for  taking  the  time to put  words  on paper.  It  is  especially  encouraging  to  see  positive  remarks  from  the  shooter's  side of  the fence.

You  hit a real  key  in  para 3  of  your  Sunday  portion.  So  much  so,  I  want to reprint it  here  for others  that  read  this.  We  would  love to see  you  both  in  Ramseur  for  the  bootcamp and  AS  starting  17  May--we  need  folks  like  you  two as  instructors.

"The shots that were just fired no longer mattered.  They can't be changed,

however,   by listening to your targets, the next shots can be changed as they       

haven't  been  place  yet. "

Cowdog

Quote68 fellow patriots and not a single reply yet?

There are high numbers of people in rural Pennsylvania and Ohio that do not do Internet. A part of the future of the Appleseed program in our parts is going to be getting the flyers out and building nonInternet communication networks. 

I am truly sorry I could not have been simultaneously in both Allemans and Vienna Oh 
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Chainsaw

What a fantastic weekend.  It was a pleasure and an honor being there.  I can't say enough about the amount of effort put in by all of the shooters both young and old.

I leaned a lot from Bill and Rob and my fellow IITs Ralph, Woody and Ed, from quick and dirty gunsmithing to the proper use of a dishwasher and a whole lot in between. Thank you!

Coop it was a pleasure meeting you and Jessica.  I didn't time it, but I think her smile lasted at least an hour after she shot her Rifleman score!  I can't help but think that she provided inspiration for the Rifleman that were to follow with her enthusiasm.

Overall, some real quality individuals were in the center of the Commonwealth this weekend and it was a great opportunity to make some new foul weather friends.

- Chainsaw
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

CooperGlocker

Quote from: Truculent turtle on April 21, 2009, 01:31:49 PM
Great  AAR!!  Thank  you  for  taking  the  time to put  words  on paper.  It  is  especially  encouraging  to  see  positive  remarks  from  the  shooter's  side of  the fence.

You  hit a real  key  in  para 3  of  your  Sunday  portion.  So  much  so,  I  want to reprint it  here  for others  that  read  this.  We  would  love to see  you  both  in  Ramseur  for  the  bootcamp and  AS  starting  17  May--we  need  folks  like  you  two as  instructors.

"The shots that were just fired no longer mattered.  They can't be changed,

however,   by listening to your targets, the next shots can be changed as they       

haven't  been  place  yet. "

Thank you sir, I am humbled and honored by your request for us to come on out and play in Appleseed's back yard!  It's easy to request vacation time for my weekend job.  Taking a whole week off from the weekday job takes a little effort but I would love to take you up on the offer.  I should be building the 2nd 10/22 Liberty Training Rifle tonight, and they'll be zeroed this Friday evening.  We'll be ready for A bootcamp or even another appleseed, it's a matter of getting the time to go.  I can't guarantee this one in May, but I can guarantee one of them, eventually.

I still can't thank you and the staff enough for being tolerant of us dirty New Jersians and our non-collapsable stocks and 10 round magazines tarnishing the beautiful countryside of Nowhere, PA.  ;D

Quote from: Cowdog on April 21, 2009, 01:52:10 PM
Quote68 fellow patriots and not a single reply yet?

There are high numbers of people in rural Pennsylvania and Ohio that do not do Internet. A part of the future of the Appleseed program in our parts is going to be getting the flyers out and building nonInternet communication networks.  

I am truly sorry I could not have been simultaneously in both Allemans and Vienna Oh  

I am still very surprised that so many folks did show up and didn't know about the event based on information on the internet.  Word of mouth is obviously working incredibly well.  I personally heard about Appleseed first from Glocktalk, then PracticalPreps, then SurvivalBlog.com.

I know I'm going to be posting flyers on my range's bulletin board!

Quote from: Chainsaw on April 21, 2009, 03:24:09 PM
What a fantastic weekend.  It was a pleasure and an honor being there.  I can't say enough about the amount of effort put in by all of the shooters both young and old.

I leaned a lot from Bill and Rob and my fellow IITs Ralph, Woody and Ed, from quick and dirty gunsmithing to the proper use of a dishwasher and a whole lot in between. Thank you!

Coop it was a pleasure meeting you and Jessica.  I didn't time it, but I think her smile lasted at least an hour after she shot her Rifleman score!  I can't help but think that she provided inspiration for the Rifleman that were to follow with her enthusiasm.

Overall, some real quality individuals were in the center of the Commonwealth this weekend and it was a great opportunity to make some new foul weather friends.

- Chainsaw

She was beaming the whole day Sunday, and very very happy Monday, and in fact, she tried so hard not to tell her dad over the phone, so that he can see it tonight before we go out for dinner.  She told me over lunch today that her big motivation was to stop paying attention to me and start doing her own thing.  Not sure if that's good or bad, but it's obviously going in the right direction.  :)

She's looking forward to me buying her a shooter's jacket from Fred's site so she can put the patch on the chest pocket like others at the event.  I'm looking forward to stealing Fred's Guide that comes with it (We'd get the package with the targets, guide, and jacket) so I can fine tune my method and catch up to her!
- Coop

grandparalph

I would like to add my appreciation to that of Bill's for the shooters who attended.  You were all their to learn and even after a long day your enthusiasm was still evident.  Those of you who brought your children out to shoot, I congratulate you on how well behaved and disciplined your children are.  Many thanks too for your efforts at the cleanup when it can time to leave.  Every one pitched in.  Not only did the hardcore reloaders police brass but it looked like the place had been gone over with a fine toothed comb.  As we drove by the camp site on our way out to make sure everyone was gone before we closed the gate, it was a pleasure to see the way you left the grounds so clean, the fire out, and wood split and stacked for whom ever was there next.  You have shown a real love for your country.

kDan

I just wanted to chime in here.  Although I wasn't at Allemans for 4/19, I was out there last year with Bill, and I kinda grew attached to the shale strewn mountain top.  I slept there for two nights and me and some patriots shared around the fire-pit.  I'd love to make it to one of their 30 caliber 1,000 yard events.  Catered lunch, eh?  you all got it sooo sweet... 

Did your canopies fly away like last year? 

Glad to hear it went well.  Congrats to all, not only those who earned the patch but to all the folks who took the time to come out and step forward for liberty.

Bill, does bubba's have liver and onions?

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Truculent turtle

lol,  Dan,  that  was  the  first  time  I have laughed from  the  bottom  up in  quite a bit.  Liver & Onions--you are  truly a  sick  person!!!

kDan

no, no, no...  ya just need a little ketchup and mayo...  it's gooood.

Best wishes to you and Robby.  I know he's doing well.  and watch out, he's gonna catch you off guard with one to the jaw soon.  He's already funnier than you are.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

KittyGlocker

Quote from: CooperGlocker on April 21, 2009, 12:58:10 PM
68 fellow patriots and not a single reply yet?
- I don't know about them, but I'm sore, tired and sunburned.  Let us relax and recuperate and you will get more posts.  Most people like posting with a clear heads.

I would like to thank everyone from the staff to the amazing people I met.  This weekend really changed a lot in me.  I feel more confident in my abilities and closer to becoming a stronger American.  The staff did an excellent job of going over the material needed to become a rifleman and going around and assisting shooters.  I understand there were a lot of shooters, but still time was found to assist.  Shooters, you all are very amazing people and I congratulate you all for taking the steps and time you did to be there and do what you did.  The gentleman with his two sons, were a real eye opener, that there is still hope for the generations following.  His youngest son was so well mannered and helpful that I was really touched.  It gave me hope that not all is lost among the youth.

Friday:

(mostly what CooperGlocker said) I will admit that it was my fault we did not have folding chairs.  I do enjoy road trips, but I hope next time we better plan this trip to convoy in one vechile.  I was so tired by the time we arrived from the half day of work and the drive, that I didn't offer much help with setting up the tent.

I really enjoyed the company around the camp fire.  The conversations were not conversations I was used to.  I'm used to walking on eggs shells when speaking to people.  It was a great feeling to be able to talk freely,  minus the minor restrictions of keeping things family friendly of course  ;).  The conversation really gave me a look of how I would like it to be everywhere at anytime.  Having the freedom of not having to hide things because your afraid what they might think or who would be offended.  We were free that night and I felt unshackled from the confinement and fear of being around today's society.  As the fire dimmed and the temperature started dropping, the conversations quieted but the spirit was still alive.  I finally decided to get some sleep, I don't know what Coop is talking about but that was nothing like home.  Home has working water, stove, and central air.

Saturday:

I did not sleep at all that night and tossed and turned for most of it.  I knew the whole time that I am very, very, very cold.  I decided that the fire would be warmer so I got up and stumbled my way out of the tent.

After the lecture, safety briefing, and a bit of history.  We were told to fire the way we know at the red coats.  Now some were sitting, most were prone, and I don't believe there were any standing.  Either way, we all were put in our place and reminded why we are there.  Everyone but Coop, who got the 400 without any issues. I unfortunately was close but not quite there.

After learning more about how to better position yourself and going over the 6 steps.  I felt that I could do it.  Of course I now know that I could have did better if I just gave up my hasty sling.  It's just every time I did give up my hasty sling, I got further off target and it was frustrating.  It got to the point that I got mad at Coop for not assisting me.  So I would like to sit down (maybe next week, right now my mind still doesn't function 100%), and write up something for the women's section of the site that is under construction.

My main point that I would like to get across to women is "Yes, your probably here with someone you know.  Probably the one that talked you into coming.  Or you could be there because your a proud American that has their own reason for being there.  Whatever the case, remember that at that moment on the line you are there for you to become better. Those other reasons are what brought you, now your the reason for staying.  This being said, it is now your responsibility to learn the proper positions and to pay attention to the 6 steps (preferably 7).  Do not count on the person beside you.  When the time comes, they will not be there.  Now I'm not saying don't ask anyone for help, but the people beside you (who are likely to be the person your here with) are wanting to learn just as much as you.  It's not fair to take their time away to figure out what you need to do."

I felt that he should help me because he was the one that talked me into driving 5 hours and to change my sling from hasty to loop.  Which I was very unhappy with.  So the rest of the day got worse, because I didn't focus my mind on me.  I should have asked that day for help, instead I was frustrated.  I just don't want it to happen to any other couple or friends.  When at Appleseed, you need to step up to the plate, not be hand held walked to it.  Women are strong, we just need to be reminded that we can do it on our own.

Now for some positive.  The lovely lady who brought sandwiches, you are my hero.  You saved me from eating out of a bag (MRE, Mountain House, something along those lines).  I really think it helped me get back on track.  O0

The ceremony to honor the first fallen was a very touching moment for me.  I am so glad I could be apart of something like that.  It really makes you proud to be American.

At the end of the day, I was upset by my performance and by my current state of body.  My allergies were really getting to me along with my stomach.  I am very thankful that Coop and I had the meds to help me feel better.

Sunday:

I get out of the tent to investigate the "unhappy camper vehicle" and find that it is mine.  I go back to the tent to get Coop and we go to the bathroom before fixing the flat.  I think it would have taken much longer if the gentlemen with the jack and the others did not assist.  It really shows how decent of a group that was formed.

I was really not feeling well today with the bad news, sunburn, upset stomach, and my allergies starting up.  But like in the previous day, I told myself, if I don't do 110%, I won't do it at all.  That this trip would be a waste. This time I listened and paid more attention with an open mind.  I went in with the mind set, "This is for me, no one is going to hold my hand, and I need to step it up." I listened very closely to how to position the sling for a loop sling.  I walked through the 6 steps in my head as they were being discussed.  

I went out to the line, gave loop sling one more last try.  I told Coop.  "If my shots aren't on, I'm not continuing the day with Loop. I shot the first practice target.  I walked up and really listened to it.  Paid attention to the MOA and how spaced my grouping was.  The grouping was fine and the impact was off two minutes to the right.  I went back and adjusted my sights.  Giving everything to today and not being afraid to do what I would not do yesterday.  Today I listened and did the following two things.  "The sights are meant to be adjusted, if they weren't they wouldn't be able to." & "They are teaching this way because this is the best way they know how to do it, if there was a better way, they would teach that way."  With those two in mind.  I shot the AQT and was greatly surprised, how much tighter my grouping was. I even asked on the line, for someone to show me how to shoot sitting with my titanium rods in my back.  Robby, I owe you my sitting score.  :)

That was it, I knew the next one I had to do better.  I focused on my rythm of breathing, keeping the site crisp, letting the target blur, and keeping my mind concentrated on keeping the site on the target/blur.  My next AQT was pretty nice.  I was amazed by how the sites and the targets started to come together more easily.  I brought my AQT up with Coops to see where I stood.  I had in my mind that I need to improve and practice more.  I noted what occurred that made my shots off target.  I knew they did that from the line, but I noted to try to avoid it next time.

After scoring I was informed that I placed with a 219.  This was after I tried my best on the next set.  If it wasn't for miscounting (again) I would have placed higher (211 with the miscount penalty).  The third target in on prone had three impacts one right on top of the other all in 5.  I was so proud of myself for over coming so many things this weekend.  It is really hard to drop old habits, extrinsically if they have been working this whole time.  But we are there to learn, which means we sometimes have to leave the previous skills behind, almost forget them.  To let go of our comfort zones and appreciate the new skills being offered.

As for when the staff stated Riflewoman.  I felt that the world is PC enough and that most of our freedom is going down with the little gives.  We have been giving up our freedom no matter how small and the taking keeps getting bigger and bigger.  So I do not want to be PC.

I did give up the valuable time to continue practicing, but with the sneezing, red eyes, and the sun burn :-[, I was done $$-0.  I just couldn't put in the effort that is required.  I gladly gave the rest of my ammo to Coop hoping he would place the same.  He has always been a better shooter than me, due to his constant practicing at the range he works at.  I think it's because his practicing was with the bad habits and not the newly learned ones.  Thanks to Rob, Coop got every chance he could to improve.  I was very happy that we were there.  I was overwhelmed numerous times by the hospitality, kindness, and American pride that was surrounding me.

I look forward to acting on step 7 and to coming out to another Appleseed.  I know I have a lot of room to improve.  I am far from being an amazing instructor like the ones this weekend, but I hope that with time I can be just as helpful.

I do agree, our drive back was not as quiet as the one to Reade Range.  We all shared very interesting points and tips.  Coop and I went home and even went over positioning again, while it was fresh in our heads.  We talked about how the sling gets readjusted each time and how you should not be afraid to undo the whole thing and start over.  If the sling isn't tight and properly placed, it will not assist you as much as it could.  It took a while for me to get comfortably undoing the sling and starting over.  I'm glad I did it though.

I'm hoping with practice we get this out at Range 14 to offer a crowd more like the one that showed up this weekend to come out.

BWagner

My wife and I attended our first Appleseed at the Reade Range, what a fantastic place to shoot.  I was extremely impressed by the attention and professionalism exhibited by the instructors.  I want to personally thank again, all the instructors especially Ed and Robbie; they spent much time with me and especially my wife.  They could see when she was becoming frustrated and stepped in, provided guidance and followed up when needed.  My wife had a tough shoot although not as difficult as the two young ladies who were shooting single action .22's, I was truly impressed once I learned what they were shooting and quickly stopped b#%$in' about my rifle.  The original plan was to shoot my M1A and my wife would shoot the AR.  But Murphy would have none of that: four weeks before leaving for Alleman's I took my M1A to the range to sight in the iron's and make them right, upon cleaning the rifle the gas plug some how stripped the threads out of the assembly rendering the rifle useless, so that was promptly shipped off to Springfield for warranty work with a desperate note to please return my baby as I would like to take it Alleman's.  Well needless to say the rifle is still at the shop.  My wife shot my Fathers Mossberg 140B from 1958 a bolt action rifle caliber .22LR with one 8 round mag.  I was so proud of her persistence and determination.  Again, Ed and Robbie were right there with her helping all the time.

I really felt comfortable with the other shooters, the atmosphere there, those days, 18 and 19 April was different.  I don't really know how to explain what I felt and saw, to say I felt patriotic or nostalgic is too weak.  This shoot to me felt like taking a class not for personal gain, but for something bigger, where truly the sum is greater than the parts.  The feelings and emotions of those who fought April 19, 1775 was tangible it was thick in the air, perhaps our Founding Fathers where there with us, not smiling, but frowning as they could see what was on the horizon, that sickening feeling of been there done that; of how could you have allowed what we had given you, to become so askew as not be recognizable.

Our Founding Fathers gave us "the boxes" to affect change: the soap box, the ballot box, the ammo box and the empty pine box.  The empty pine box for those who try to take away our inalienable also known as: absolute, incontrovertible, indisputable and undeniable rights.

Sorry for the rant but this is not just a Second Amendment thing, this a destroy the Bill of Rights thing, the slow gnawing away of the first 10 Amendments into something that was not intended by the Founding Fathers but allowed by the Citizens by not voting;  People need to express their opinions by voting.  Vote with their heads, their feet and their wallet.

For me this was an eye opening experience in many different ways, stoking a roaring fire from stomped and tramped embers.

I will continue with the 7th step, in every way I know how, I will definitely be attending more shoots, and a boot camp, working my way to become an Instructor.

GHogKilla

:~
Hi All! This past weekend at Allemans was amazing! I don't even hesitate to say "life changing". I can not wait for the next Appleseed. My 7 yr old seems changed too. I will say before we came to Appleseed he was just wanting to shoot his BB gun. Now he is very comfortable with the .22 (even if it is pink!). His 8th birthday is almost here and I think he has earned himself a rifle of his own. I am so glad I took pictures cuz I have been reviewing the stance of the instructors. I wish I took more for review!  My personal goal is to look and feel as secure as Robbie in prone. Thank you so much to all of you. We look forward to seeing you again in September. I have several "foul weather friends" that I have already informed they can not miss this. I am amazed at the difference the sling makes. When it was first shown I thought it seemed a little odd. But what did I know!? Not much. Life changing weekend.

smwwoody

The first thing I need to say is " WOW!!! WHAT A GREAT BUNCH OF PATRIOTS!!!"

I will make sure I get a chance to get back to Reade Range.  The Appleseeders that showed up there are as great as the facility.  As for the other instructors, this is a bunch that is great to work with and learn from.  I think I may have even taught them something, the proper use of a dishwasher for cleaning guns, video cameras, and such.  

It makes an instructor's week end great when he has people that are so eager to learn.  

kDan  This is the "Bubba Burgers" we went to  http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/  I grew up about 30 miles north of Dennys so it was like a home coming for me.  I tried to talk Robbie into trying one of their 3 pound burgers, but he didn't think he could make it up and down the line Sunday if he would have.

Woody
Fixing some of the holes in your bucket first can make bailing easier

Our children should be taught how to think, not what to think....

KJ4WXC

jagr31

Well now after two days i just about have this past weekend in order, talk about how good times just fly by.

first a big thanks to all of the instructors, particular to Bill, Rob and Ed

Friday

Drove out w/ my brother and his daughter and my 2 sons, un eventfull 3 hrs
got into camp about 2000 or so . just enough light to get tent set up
and then settle in around camp fire with some fellow patriots. As mentioned above by Cooper, it was great to be able to speak ones mind with out the PC filter ( even eastern PA has that problem)

Saturday,

up about 0500 or so Chris already had good fire running, so strait to pancakes , spam and to drink, hot tang or instant coffee. A side note dried blueberrys are not freeze dried blueberrys, ie: they stay chewy even when cooked.

On to the range.
This is the part were my education begins. A little back story, many years ago I qual'd Expert at actual distance, light wind and snow flurrys over the ground wet from a few days rain.  Over all these years I felt I knew how to shoot. So much lost in those years, like many things a skill un-used is lost. Alot of dry fire and range time is in my future.

Thanks for the wake up call

As the over all events have been covered I will stick w/ our perspective.
Excellent instruction on the postions, and Bill's easy way of telling the history story, along with the help of the other instuctors,

we got into the pattern of clear , reload mags, circle up, prep, shoot  repeat as needed, the day went well.
learnedthe 6 steps although looking back and reviewing the targets( listening) I can see which stings I flubed either the NPOA or Sqeeeeeze ,

Sunday

got up late so cold breakfast, hot instant coffee. clear camp and

down to the line , as other shooters started to filter in. reviewed what changes I thought I could make to get that patch. Knew I was weak every were . Started to try and get more dry fires during prep.  The time call was very usefull. The pursuit of the Patch will continue,

My Sons have already asked when we will be back , between the camping, shooting , and friends. they are hooked. They had thier shirts on for school on monday , we will be shooting AQT's at least once every time we go to the range, and get those patches.

A special hi to ED from my sons, thanks

Regards. Jgr

rifleguy76

I just wanted to thank all the instructors for helping us. This weekend really opened my eyes and taught me a ton of new information on shooting. I'm hoping to shoot rifleman and then take the 7th step and become an instructor myself. I was one of a group of four and we are all grateful for the experience and new level of shooting ability this has brought us. At our range at home we never did anything nearly as useful, and now I feel like we have found a measurable, repeatable course of fire that will help us hone our skills.

We are all considering the week long bootcamp and will almost certainly attend school and finances permitting. We met our type of people out there, and appreciated the kindness and company. One gentleman whose name I unfortunately forget gave me a chair on Saturday evening around the fire when he noticed that I looked like I was going to keel over. Another gave us ice for our cooler when we realized a couple bags of peas wouldn't be sufficient. We were all sad to have to go to bed at 8pm, but after only getting 3 hours sleep Friday and having a full Saturday of Appleseed we needed the rest.

Even though I barely hit marksman, my shooting improved so much that it's remarkable. I hope the next time I go to an Appleseed, because there WILL be a next time, to have practiced up to rifleman and officially qualify; then begin using the .30cal on the AQTs. 

I am going to work towards instructor until I can host an Eastern PA Appleseed.

FiremanEd

What an OUTSTANDING WEEKEND!!!!!!   I don't know where to start. The VA contingent of Instructors carpooled up Friday to get the range ready. We unfortunately missed Chainsaw and had to meet up with him Sat. morning. Just as the fun began.

We started out by noticing the numbers of Lady and young shooters. I didn't think to actually count but I'm guessing that more than 30 of the 68 shooters where either Ladies or under 21. The youngest being three boys and one young lady between 7 & 9. My hat is off to their parents!!  O0  I now know that my goals, for my 14 month old daughter are more than attainable, if I can only do my part as Jagr31, GHogkilla and the other parents there this weekend have done. Those young boys and girls were absolutely amazing!! Along with all the other, slightly older young men & women. If I counted right, there were at least 3 young ladies, sisters and another young boy shooting SINGLE SHOT "Cricket" 22LR's. One of them, who I apologize for forgetting her name, shot with such accuracy that her score was on a 237 pace if you averaged the shots she got off with the single shot. Both of her sisters where giving her a real run for her money as well!

As has been said above, WHAT A GREAT GROUP OF AMERICANS!! I heard not one cross word, not one negative comment, unless one of frustration at ones self, for what was perceived as poor performance counts. Equipment was shared, drink. food and ammo was given freely on the line between Patriots and I think I can safely say that ALL in attendance came away as better Americans! I have never seen a range, nor campground, left in such immaculate condition, it was truly better when we left than when we arrived, Thank You.

We awarded Rifleman patches to 9 Americans this weekend and a huge CONGRATULATIONS is extended to each of you. I will confess that Saturday night I would not have bet on more than 3. Man can I say I was proud to see 9 step up and perform. From that first Rifleman of the day on Sunday until the last one, shot on the last AQT of the day. You are ALL Riflemen, and I welcome you.

But, with that being said, there where that many again, knocking at the door. Don't let not getting the 'patch' discourage you, practice, practice and practice and it WILL happen. If you get a little discouraged, think about Captain Parker, standing in the door of his cabin, searching for words, or the many others who fought and died for you and me, then practice some more!! Get Mr. Fischer's book and read it,, slowly, and then again.

I won't even try to speak for the other Instructors / IIT's but I can say for myself that, outside of my wonderful family which you are now a part, this was the most rewarding and emotionally gratifying weekend that I can remember in many years. As mentioned above, it is truly invigorating to spend time with and get to know such wonderful Patriots! I hesitate to mention names because I fear of leaving one out, you were ALL wonderful to meet and I am truly Honored to have had that opportunity.

FiremanEd               

Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

Arrigetch

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post here, and I wanted to thank everyone for this very special weekend, especially the instructors who put in so much hard work!  I am very much looking forward to the next Appleseed I can attend (I am across the river from eastern PA in NW NJ, so I would especially be interested in that area).  Maybe I will succeed in the quest to earn the rifleman patch!

I have other friends that are also interested in attending.  I mentioned Appleseed to some of these people before, but none of them actually signed up - they wanted me to report back how it was before commiting to one.  Some of them kind of expressed the thought that they were "experienced" with rifles and shooting (and therefore might not benefit).  When I gave them my after action report, and mentioned that only 9 people out of 68 were actually able to make rifleman, they weren't so sure they didn't need to come!  But of course, the marksmanship is only one reason to attend an Appleseed (and perhaps the lesser reason)!

BTW Roy, it was fun spewing hot brass onto you and your kids this weekend! ;D  Seriously though, seeing kids like yours so inquisitive and responsible heartens me that this country still has a bright hope for the future.  Same to the other patriots in the under-21 crowd!  Congrats to all of you!

Cheers to everyone,
Christina

Frontsight

Hello to Everyone at Allemans this past weekend.  This is my first post on a forum, took me a while to figure out how to sign up, actually.  I'm still gathering my thoughts from our shared Appleseed.  I do want to thank all the instructors who took the time to travel so far and give of their time and accumulated knowledge.  I would not have believed that most of the instructors were first timers.   I just received my copy of Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer in the mail today and will be spending my evenings with it the next few days.  My fellow attendees were an absolute delight.  I really didn't know what to expect, but I sincerely don't think I've ever been around a nicer, friendlier, more ego free group of folks in my life.  I will happily bring my son and daughters when they get big enough to hold a rifle ( that's "raffle" to you Virginians) properly.  Speaking of which, you folks who did bring your kids should be nothing but proud of the way they conducted themselves.  I especially want to mention Connor, who approached me and my neighbors as we were picking up around a thousand empty 22 cases and started right in helping.  I also want to state my agreement with Fireman Ed in reference to the young ladies at the left side of the firing line with the single shot 22s.  Those girls were firing offhand, working the bolt, reaching into their pockets for the next cartridge like clockwork.  And Hitting the targets!  Another thing that impressed me a great deal with this, my first Appleseed, was the concentration, the real stress, that was put on Safety.  I was a little concerned about being around 68 strangers with rifles at first, but when I saw how seriously the instructor cadre took the safety issue and how they impressed that seriousness on the participants, I was soon feeling much better about things.  I'm sure I've left a lot out of this post, and I'm sure I'll add more later, but I want to close with a thanks again.  Thanks to my fellow Americans who came out to show that a love of liberty still thrives in our beautiful country.  Thanks to my neighbors on the firing line for your encouragement and advice.  Thanks to all you instructors for making me a rifleman.  There's not much in this world that I'd trade for that patch.  I'm not sure how or when, but I intend to move forward from here.  Thanks again, and God Bless!

John

CooperGlocker

Lots of great posts and great to see some first time posters as well!  O0

Well, I had finally sorted through the photos of this weekend.  My apologies if they're a little "Me-Centric" as it was my fiancee behind the trigger.

And from yesterday:

What a great accomplishment for Jessica, proudly hanging on the refrigerator!
- Coop

FiremanEd

Nice pictures Coop.

I took a bunch from behind the line while you were all shooting on Sunday. I just keep forgetting to bring my camera to the firehouse to upload them.... I'll get them this weekend.

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

FiremanEd

OK, can someone please tell me how to insert a pic? I tried copy/paste but that didn't work... 

I have a bunch of good pics I want to share.

FiremanEd

B9

Quote from: FiremanEd on April 27, 2009, 07:21:23 PM
OK, can someone please tell me how to insert a pic? I tried copy/paste but that didn't work... 

I have a bunch of good pics I want to share.

FiremanEd

I found the best way is upload your pictures into a Photobucket account at the 800 x 600 (15 " screen). Then copy and paste the IMG file to your post here. Photobucket is free and works good for storing your public pictures.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

CooperGlocker

Any word on those pictures?  Would love to see more pics from the event!
- Coop