News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Riley, IN April 25-26th.

Started by techres, April 27, 2009, 12:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

What a great weekend!

We started with just under 20 shooters ranging from 8 to grandpa (yes, that is an official age).  The weather was great, and the orange hats on hand were well rested from a night of camping on the edge of the lake.

We ran our safety drills and got right to shooting.  Levels of experience were as varied as calibers of the rifles.  All the shooters came with a learning attitude and a visible sense of excitement.

The first target gave us a baseline for each shooter and showed that we had work to do but nothing extreme.  We worked on finding our groups, learning the slings and positions, natural point of aim, and lastly sight adjustment.  By that time, it was time for lunch.

Every shooter brought lunch and we enjoyed the cool of the clubhouse.  After lunch we learned our first portion of history from Brokensling.  Then back to the rifles. 

Throughout the afternoon we worked on shrinking our groups, maintaining our rifles, and keeping hydrated ("if nothing's coming out, you haven't put enough in").  By the end of the day we had one Rifleman and many "knocking at the door".  Two more times we recounted the stories of our forefathers and mothers and what they had to do at Lexington, Concord, and Meriam's Corner.  Then we were done for the day.

The night's camping was again great (we remembered to gather wood in the daylight rather than in the dark) and Hawkhavn was able to join us.  Some stayed up late, some snored by the campfire until nudged and told to go to bed.

The second day had us with fewer shooters, allowing us to have a higher shooter to student ratio and even put a few orange hats on the line to brush up on their skills (how many schools will let their trainers on the line?).  Team games, new drills and more AQT's filled out the afternoon and before you knew it we had two more Riflemen scores!  HootersBilly taught us about the "dangerous old men" who fought all over battle road and the amazing tales of bravery and skill that helped lead the younger fighters of the day.

By the end of the day everyone was tired, sore and shooting at several levels higher than the had the day before.  The last string of the day ("tavern") was shooting on a red coat target and many were truly impressed by the difference between that one and the day before.

Particular sights that stuck out for me were:

The shooters with the centerfire bringing that beautiful "THUMP THUMP" music with them. 

Seeing our 8 year old shooter take breaks to do cartwheels in between strings as a way to "destress". 

Watching each trainer do the history sections in their own voice but retaining the complete history and heritage handed down to each of us. 

And watching our shooters each wrestle and overcome their own personal issues.  (Clay got to use an Israeli bandage to keep his elbow going after running a bit raw

Take down screws wiggled free, scope mounts gave, slings were exchanged out, and quick cleanings had to happen all giving shooters a chance to learn their rifles and how to fix them. 

In the end, the shooter who impressed me the most was INGO member JByer323's dad who came and had to work through issues with his hand and elbow that frankly dwarf what most shooters have to deal with.  Instead of complaining or opting out of the event, he showed unusual persistence and willingness to try a variety of improvised positions until we found something that worked for his unique situation.  And he did so with a sense of cheer and determination that is the core of what we teach.

I would like to thank, again, all of the shooters for coming and am sure that I will seeing you each again on the trail.  And perhaps before long, some of you will have patches and some will have orange hats!

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Bill 3

Pictures, pictures, pictures......

Made camp....  Could not ask for a better site.

Building the target line.

DaveD explaining prone.

Sling instruction..... .5 as model.

Time for the Six Steps

Sitting....

Techres - NO HAT.

That's what we're talking about....

Standing.....

Bloody Butchery...

New Rifleman - Congatulations Clay O0

Another new Rifleman - Congratulations Jeff O0

HootersBilly talking about Dangerous Old Men...

And a third - Congratulations David.
The water's still waiting for you.....

A child teaching another child to shoot.  What more could you ask for?

Stress relief!

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Clay

Had a great time guys!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for the awesome weekend experience!

JByer323

Thanks guys, the weekend was amazing, and I will definitely be back!
Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal, these are principles that every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.

sparkie

Thank all you guys for a great weekend.  I really appreciate all the hard work the teaching staff put into this program.  I didn't think I would ever be able to shoot a riflemen's score but with a lot of help and advice I made it.  I hope to see you all the end of the month at Putnamville.  Thanks again.  Sparkie

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Bill of Rights

If he means Cloverdale.... I will be joining you as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams