News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2014 After Action Reports from other Sources

Started by scuzzy, February 11, 2014, 07:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

NavNuke

Happy to post this link to the local newspaper in Effingham, IL. A nice little write up by the reporter, Jackson Adams.

Eye on the Revolutionary War

QuoteFor many people, a trip to the gun range could be a chance to improve their skills, but for one group of shooters who descended on the Effingham County Sportsman's Club over the weekend, it's an opportunity to take part in the spirit of memory and rebellion of the original American soldiers.

The shoot was held by Project Appleseed, a group that focuses on rifle marksmanship as a way to salute the battles fought by militia men in the Revolutionary War.

The focus on much of that history comes down to the Battle of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775, where tensions between colonists and the British finally burst. Sharon Sabo, Southern Illinois coordinator for Project Appleseed, said the group's mission is to keep the memories of those colonial soldiers' skills and sacrifices alive.

The Effingham Sportsman's Club had invited out the reporter so that he could get a first hand account of the Appleseed, and of the Range's support of events like this.

He also took this great pic of the line.

Love all of those eyes and ears! Safety, safety, safety. An orange hat down giving personal instruction and the scanning eyes of an attentive red hat!

NN
"Be ever questioning. Ignorance is not bliss. It is oblivion. You don't go to heaven if you die dumb. Become better informed. It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." -- Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

NavNuke

Another great blog post. This one covering a recent Ladyseed!

Not My Victrola: Mamas and Papas

I especially like this part of the comment about their mother who also attended.

I think it's Pat.  Click on the pic to enlarge.  All five hits are in the 1" square.  Two years ago she had to retrain her body to use the left side. She owes part of her success to a year of shooting Ruger pistols, especially for e-Postal matches.

Wow! What an accomplishment.

NN
"Be ever questioning. Ignorance is not bliss. It is oblivion. You don't go to heaven if you die dumb. Become better informed. It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." -- Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

SureShotSpartan

This AAR was posted on the Outdoors Trader:

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/767181-My-Appleseed-Experience-Rising-Fawn-GA-Sep-13-14

Special thanks to freedomzxcv for his efforts Seventh Stepping!

-S3
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

scuzzy

Carriec

We finally got to an Appleseed at the Cavalier Gun Club near Montpelier, VA.  It was everything I hoped it would be.  From the Shoot Boss (Wolfhound) down to the Instructors in Training, the shoot was conducted in an exemplary manner.  I will recommend the program to everyone I know and encourage them to make the commitment to attend.  The weather was cooperative in the main and my wife and I came away with a sense of relief that we are not the only ones with views that are espoused by the RWVA and Appleseed Volunteers.  I used a 10-22TD that functioned perfectly the entire shoot and I made the error of bringing another new 10-22 50th Anniversary edition that I had only fired two mags through.  That weapon suffered so many light strikes that the Shoot Boss graciously loaned us a 795 so we could continue.  During a break I replaced the hammer spring and fired a mag but as soon as we went back on it continued to FTF.  We used about 450 rounds each (less FTF's) of Norma Tac 22.  On the recommendations of others we picked up the Midway shooting mats that were on sale and were very pleased.  Even with the mats on tarps over gravel my wife had to use elbow pads as well.  If there were a way of "breaking in" the GI slings I would have done it as IMO they are not as user friendly when new.  All eight Ruger 10 round mags worked perfectly.  The tech sights never loosened although I had to make a front sight adjustment to the TD on Sunday after reassembly. There was really no need for the chairs we brought as the pace was quick and I never used my chair at all. This was very challenging for me as I am not at my physical best but had a sense of this being a "now or never" for me.  Mechanics of the instruction in Rifle Marksmanship are familiar to me but seem to have a "new" ring to folks younger than me.  There was nothing unfamiliar to me from my BCT in Ft. Jackson in 1973. The terms may have been slightly different and steps enumerated in a different way but there are no significant differences with the way Appleseed Marksmanship Training is conducted and the way the Army used to train soldiers in my experience.  In fact there were many poignant moments that took me back there. Historically the lessons were very good and detailed enough to present a decent picture of the events described.  If I had a suggestion to make, it might be to develop a curriculum that breaks out attendees to address other historical events of military significance from the Revolutionary War and present them to those attending their third or greater Appleseed.  I sensed a lot of restlessness and movement from those who had attended multiple events. Fresh material might enable attendees to regain focus at the end of a long day on the line.  In all a great experience and one my wife and I will remember.  We will attend again, Lord willing.   Thank you and be well.

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

hogfamily

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

scuzzy

eaglescouter

Quote from: scuzzy on November 19, 2014, 08:13:27 PM
Latest news updated:

http://appleseedinfo.org/latest_news.html

Keep 'em coming - some good reports.

scuzzy:  Can we get updates to that page mirrored over to the official twitter and facebook?
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

scuzzy

Quote from: eaglescouter on November 19, 2014, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: scuzzy on November 19, 2014, 08:13:27 PM
Latest news updated:

http://appleseedinfo.org/latest_news.html

Keep 'em coming - some good reports.

scuzzy:  Can we get updates to that page mirrored over to the official twitter and facebook?

Just now saw this since I was checking this board to see if any news to add.

I'd don't take care of the twitter and facebook stuff. You might try PMing ThePoet about that.

The Wolfhound

Read somewhere that there was a write up on Rimfire Central.  Here is the one I found: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567572

freedomzxcv

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/tyler-kee/appleseed-experience/

This was posted by one of the bloggers from The Truth About Guns. This one hurts a little, doubly since this blog is one of the most widely read gun blogs out there.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis