News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor Boot Camp - Winona, Minnesota - March 24-25, 2012

Started by AFTERMATH, March 04, 2012, 12:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

Time to knock that rust off!
Sorry, I didn't get it posted earlier.

Sound off if you're in!

I'm still working on the POI - So, if anyone's got a special module they'd like to see included.  Let me know.  I'll see if I can squeeze it in.

For those who haven't been to an IBC before, it's a great opportunity to freshen up on those instructing skills, learn new ones, get a jump-start on the PC's, and meet your fellow AS instructors.

The best option is to stay in the club house, or camp out at the range.  The days run long and you don't want to miss a minute of it!  Plus, lodging is included!

Meals will be potluck.

Plan on arriving Fri. evening, if possible.

Well this post is all disjointed and I can't think of anything more at this time.  I guess the coffee's wearing off.
Stay tuned.

Aftermath

This event is for IIT's, RI's, SB's, SI's, MI's.  If you're a Rifleman who's interested in attending, with the intent to become an instructor - Contact me before signing up.  Others by invite/request.  If you're not otherwise qualified the SB(that's me) can grant exemptions.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

warhog

Fortes fortuna adiuvat

AFTERMATH

Well that looks like three of us, so far!  Where's the rest of MN? ~~:)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 05, 2012, 09:08:03 PM
Well that looks like three of us, so far!  Where's the rest of MN? ~~:)
I will be there for sure on Sunday. I might be able to get there Saturday afternoon or evening. We'll see.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Whisker

I'll likely be there.
Looking forward to seeing the old crew!
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

AFTERMATH

boscohurn

I plan on being there but I can't make it a sure thing yet.

Taylor

I'm manning the AS table at the Douglas County Fish & Game League Sportsmans' Show (new range in 2012) up in Superior Fr/Sa/Su that weekend.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Notaeh

Where do I find out more information on what an IBC is?  What goes on there?  Is there shooting?  Cost?  What would I bring?  I am sure this is all somewhere but I didn't find it right away.

Puma Mami

Quote from: Notaeh on March 07, 2012, 03:42:07 PM
Where do I find out more information on what an IBC is?  What goes on there?  Is there shooting?  Cost?  What would I bring?  I am sure this is all somewhere but I didn't find it right away.
Sorry, Notaeh, we probably should have had the link on here for everyone. There is an information page about this IBC here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27983.0  The registration link and a link to a list of what to bring is on there, too.

If you can't access that page for some reason, contact Aftermath or Kosciusko. Since you are an IIT you should be able to access it.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Notaeh on March 07, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

The Instructor Boot Camp is essentially a clinic on how to teach/instruct at an Appleseed.  We pretty much run through the entire RWVA manual, discussing how things are to be done, and in many instances giving the IIT the opportunity to practice demonstrations, etc; on each other, rather than under the stressful circumstances at a shoot.  Just like an Appleseed it's jam-packed with information and Americans.
This is a two-day event, so I'm not sure we'll have time to do any shooting - But I would like to run a mini-seed on Sun. afternoon - And when I say I; I mean the Orange Hats with the RH's shooting.  But who knows - We might get through everything friday night, and have fun the rest of the weekend! ;) 
So, I'd say be prepared. 
Another benefit is that an IIT coming out of an IBC is elgible to advance through several PC's - Pending performance at the next event.  It's also a great refresher course after a long winter.
It is $70 for the weekend, for adult males, everyone else is free - per Appleseed's M.O. - But you only need to pay for it once.  After that all IBC's are free.
It'll be pot luck, in general.  Long days but tons of fun.
By the way, Kelli is welcome to come as well - If she can get away.
Assuming you're staying in the clubhouse, you'll want to bring a cot, air mattress or some sort of sleeping pad - it's a concrete floor. 
Though if there's any snow left, snow banks are a comfortable alternative.  And you likely won't have to worry about snoring. 

I'd also like to go over MN strategy for 2012 - Preferably Friday evening. 
And as long as we've got every body there - Puma Mami's been bugging me about planning MN's picnic for next summer, it be a good time when we've got a bunch of us around.

The best part of IBC's isn't all the good information on instruction, nor is it the tips and tricks you pick up to make yourself a better shooter - It's the rare opportunity to get together with your fellow instructors from the state, region and nation.  A year on the trail isn't likely to lead to as much interaction than a couple days at an IBC. 

Oh, and by the way - If Kelli does come; I'm pretty sure we can find some time down at the range for her to try to get that patch!  Same for Puma Mami.  If need be, I'll arrange a separate contingent for the sole purpose of hammering out a couple Riflewomen.

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 07, 2012, 10:10:36 PM
And as long as we've got every body there - Puma Mami's been bugging me about planning MN's picnic for next summer, it be a good time when we've got a bunch of us around.
If we want a picnic shelter this time, we should get something reserved soon. Here is one possibility which is scenic and close to the Wisconsin border so some of our Wisconsin folks could join us more easily: http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/LeisureRecreation/CountyParks/Locations/SpringLake/EastShelter.htm  This is a bit northwest of Hastings. It's $85 to rent the shelter, which seats 50 people inside and has electricity (American Revolution era sing-along again?), and has charcoal grills and a water fountain/water jug filler. There is a field where people fly kites a lot, a playground nearby for the kids, lots of parking, and it does have a portapotty. There is a $50 deposit. I'm willing to put up the deposit and $10 toward the rental fee. If a few more people chip in we can cover the cost and get it reserved (or somewhere else with a similar cost). What do you think?

The other question is when. All the weekends in August are open right now for this picnic shelter, but some in September are already booked up.

I also looked at Washington County parks like Lake Elmo and St. Croix Bluffs, but it's more expensive and everyone would have to have their sticker on their vehicle. So that wouldn't work well. Likewise any of the state parks.

FreedomV

Looking Forward to a great weekend of learning. 2 more IIT's from Rochester should be there also.
Illegitimi non carborundum

AFTERMATH

AFTERMATH

Red hats/Green Hats:  Sign up as Instructors unless you've got some sort of uncontrollable urge to do otherwise. ++)

Notaeh

The one who must be obeyed issued a denial for this.  It seems I need to entertain the father-in-law this weekend.

Puma Mami

Quote from: Notaeh on March 14, 2012, 11:20:06 AM
The one who must be obeyed issued a denial for this.  It seems I need to entertain the father-in-law this weekend.
Well, family relationships need to be maintained, too  ;) 

We could have a web meeting sometimes, maybe, for Minnesota people. Even a conference call. It's hard to get everyone together in one place!

AFTERMATH

Such is life...

Anyway, take a look at the Bowler, WI. IBC in June:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27788.0
If history repeats itself - there's a good opportunity for some KD shooting! O0

Cooper

Rifledog and I are in...
and I'll drag Whisker along if possible.

Cooper
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

zamboni_driver

Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 14, 2012, 08:12:14 PM

Such is life...

Anyway, take a look at the Bowler, WI. IBC in June:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27788.0

Bowler is a fantastic place for an IBC.  The bunkhouse is a great place to sleep. And it is air conditioned.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: zamboni_driver on March 16, 2012, 08:36:15 PM
Quote from: AFTERMATH on March 14, 2012, 08:12:14 PM

Such is life...

Bowler is a fantastic place for an IBC.  The bunkhouse is a great place to sleep. And it is air conditioned.

Air conditioned?  I don't remember that!  Or do you mean 'air-cooled' like Hinckley's bench area?  >:D

Cully

There are 4 coming from the Rochester area but only 2 are registered in part due to Pay Pal issues.  The other 2 will pay at the door.  3 of us are first timers to the IBC with the 4th a vet from last year.  See you Saturday.

colycat

Wow, Cully.

Bringing 4 to an IBC!  Thats crazy good stuff.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Alright all!  We need to start working up a menu, like ASAP.
Please take a look at the needs below and reply if you can help bring something to fill these.

Saturday:  Breakfast -- Eggs/sausage(Cooper)
                  Lunch -- Hotdogs(Kos) and/or pulled pork(warhog)
                  Dinner -- Vegetable beef stew(FV)

Sunday:  Breakfast -- Eggs/sausage(Cooper)
               Lunch - hotdogs and/or pulled pork

Snacks: chips, PB&J, bread(woody35)
Drinks:  coke, dt. coke, 7up(woody35)
Coffee:  AFTERMATH

Thank you! 

warhog

Is there a grill or a fridge at the range?  if so I can bring some brats and buns I have the charcoal too or I can bring some pulled pork and buns.
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Cooper

Quote from: warhog on March 22, 2012, 05:54:10 PM
Is there a grill or a fridge at the range?  if so I can bring some brats and buns I have the charcoal too or I can bring some pulled pork and buns.

There is a grill, a stove and a fridge at the range.
I'll bring eggs and sausage for breakfasts

BTW - gotta love the GAU-8/A Avenger and titanium bathtub...
Janelle and Jackie the Rifledog
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

FreedomV

I will bring a kettle of beef vegetable stew for a meal, any idea of total numbers? 3 from Rochester will be coming Saturday morning.
sg
Illegitimi non carborundum

AFTERMATH

Quote from: FreedomV on March 22, 2012, 08:21:32 PM
I will bring a kettle of beef vegetable stew for a meal, any idea of total numbers? 3 from Rochester will be coming Saturday morning.
sg

Off the top of my head -15; but I'd say plan for 20.  -Better safe than sorry. ;)
Last thing we need is a bunch of hungry, starved, people with rifles crammed into a tin can.
:pop:

Quote from: warhog on March 22, 2012, 05:54:10 PM

We'll have both available - It's a gas grill, IIRC.
Kosciusko is likely bringing hotdogs...  Pulled pork is good too - It's up to you!

Can someone help out with condiments?   

I'll mod the original food post.

warhog

Ok I will bring the pulled pork and buns.

He He .......The 30mm is an impressive piece of equipment the rest of the jet is pretty basic but brutally effective.
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Mike Woodcock

I will bring pop - Coke, Diet Coke, & 7-up in a cooler to save space.  Chips, PB, Jelly and some bread as a backup....