News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Langhorne, PA Sept 29, 30, 2007

Started by VAshooter, October 01, 2007, 05:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAshooter

The weather couldn't have been better. Sunny days with temperatures in the 70's and low 80's with no wind. We had a covered firing line so the sun didn't matter.

The range was all prepared with sign's leading the shooters in and target frames already up and ready to go. DocT (Barry) had everything set up when Crash and I got there. DocT had to leave before the fun began but he had Wayne Borngessor stick around and help us all day Saturday. He was a big help acting as safety officer on the right side of the line.

We had 15 shooters on Saturday with only one of them shooting a 22. It was a tube feed but the shooter knew his rifle so it didn't take a lot of extra time to keep him going. We had 2 M1A's, 2 M1's, 5 AR 15's and 4 AK/SKS types on the line. In addition to the single 22 we had a 35 Remington lever action just to let us know that 30 cal is not the upper limit. We started out with the Redcoat target and had one shooter, it was one of the boys but I don't remember which one, who put every shot in each target including the head shot.

"Mom" brought 3 boys out to shoot. One, Robbie, shot Rifleman twice just so we would know it wasn't an accident (224) that he did it the first time. His brother Will was knocking on the door with a 204 on Saturday but malfunctions kept him from attaining his goal on Sunday. Tim was also shooting well and showing improvement with a 151 on Saturday and a 180 on Sunday. It won't be long before all three of those boys will have earned Rifleman patches. We also had a solid 192 on Saturday from Kelven Spengler.

I ran the line on Saturday with Crash acting as coach and safety officer. Sunday DocT was back and he ran the line with Crash and I coaching and acting as line safety officers. We had 9 shooters on Sunday and we saw our first Ruger 10/22 on the line. The rest were AR's, AK's M1A's and Garands with a couple milsrp bolt rifles thrown in to balance out the line.  Scott Watkowski shot a solid 224 to bring our Rifleman total up to two. We lost one M1A due to a broken extractor. Carry spares.

Everyone seemed to have a good time and everyone improved over the weekend. Many said the would be looking for more Appleseeds to attend. A couple even mentioned driving down to Richmond to attend the Mini Appleseeds I'll be holding at Black Creek Range.

VAshooter

VAshooter

I forgot to mention, Mom was typing away on her computer while the boys were shooting. She wrote a very nice aricle about the Appleseed Shoot which she was having published in at least two papers and possibly three.

VAshooter

crashkid2k

I think Robbie cleaned out the Redcoats to open the event.  That was a bad day to be a Redcoat!

VAshooter kept the line moving along, freeing me up to evaluate positions and clear malfunctions.  It seems like lots of rifles started malfunctioning early Sunday; Appleseed may have been the most work some of these rifles had ever done!

If the Appleseed article becomes available on the Internet, can we have a link posted on this thread?

What a great event!

crash
norfolk

The Guy

Crash, thanks for showing up when called upon.

VA, thank you for stepping up to run the event.

A kudos is owed to both, for our scheduled Instructor had some serious health issues, and could not attend.

The whole thing was in jepardy, then these two Man among Men types came up and filled in.

And it sounds like they did a good job!

Thanks!

Guy

Junior Birdman

+1, Guy!   Thanks for the efforts guys!  Sounds like a great shoot.  JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

crashkid2k

Scout

Doug and Crash thanks for jumping in and coming to the rescue. You two men sure showed some real grit. ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to Doc T aslo, he has been working with some real hard health issues and he is still working hard when he has every reason to sit back and  take it easy. I mean real reasons to take it easy, but he is still grinding out riflemen and carrying the message.

Thanks DocT! ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

ACPjunkie

langhorn was a sweet place to shoot and i wanted to thank Crash and Doug for the help. Also my little brother and my freind Tim found out the hard way, do you best to shoot alittle before hand. Crash my mom really liked the 10/22 set-up you had she is trying to mimic it for herself. Again thanks you guys; and I hope to see you'll at Ramsour in June/ july                 
                                                                                                'Rob'
"It aint mystical $@!+"  VAshooter

Front Sight focus is true enlightenment