News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Oct. 24th Sgt. York Field Shoot

Started by Old Dog, September 28, 2009, 09:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

Well, I can probably make this one, too.

Hope I can find someone to ride down with me to help me stay awake on the way back.  Last Saturday was rough after I dropped beowolf357 off an hour or so short of Richmond.  I was whipped after 8 hours on the road and 8 hours on the range.

This is a US Enfield only shoot, right? @)

Just got a hooded aperature installed on my Eddystone rear sight leaf and ordered a B. Jones sight insert kit so I can see that teeny, tiny, skinny little front sight post.  I thought the AR front sight post was bad Saturday morning but the M1917 is downright scary hard to see.

Got my stripper clips, my ammo belt, etc.

Hope to see you there.

edited to add - oh yeah, I bought an extra rear sight leaf and aperature to drill so I wouldn't ruin the Eddystone sight on the rifle - so don't get all excited. @)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

hawkeye

I plan on bringing both of mine I'll let one of the boys shoot the other one. Would be cool if everyone shot a bolt gun. One thing about the 1917 is that your 2 inches closer to the target than anyone else! Oh and if there's a bayonet fight you'll win hands down with that 16 inch blade.
See you there!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

wildman

Dog you can spend the night Saturday at the range and then your day won't be so long. I only live 50 miles away but breaking down the camper and packing up is more than I want to do after a field shoot. The evening spent shooting the breeze is most enjoyable.

I'll be shooting my 03A3 perhaps I'll have my "A" game in October.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Old Dog

Spend the night....maybe.

I think I'm "done" with the Eddystone rear sight mods.

Drilled out the spare sight (the ladder sight, not the battle sight), threaded the hole, screwed in the "NM" hood.  I went ahead and locktighted it because its so small and I don't want to loose it on the range.  That rear sight on the slide is really thing metal and the threads didn't have much to "bite" on.

I got my B. Jones sight insert in the mail Friday.  Oh darn!!  It appears my "NM" rear sight hood is not the same ID as the NM rear sight hoods on my M1 Garand.  I took nail clippers and cut tiny sections of the o-rings out till they would fit tightly inside the hood without buckling up or out into the way of the line of sight.  Then the lens...finally took one of my wifes nail stones (used to smooth out the freshly cut edges of finger and toe nails) and holding the lens between my left thumb and finger slowly "stoned" the edges down while trying to keep it as round as possible so it would fit inside the new sight hood. 

Problem#2, the new sight hood is not as "deep" inside as the M1 NM hoods either.  Put in the round O-ring, then the lens, then the flat o-ring and the flat o-ring would barely start into the hood.  Decided to add a small amount of loctite to the flat o-ring to glue it to the hood.  Didn't want to use crazy glue as I've seen the vapors off crazy glue "fog" up plastic lenses in the past.  Well, the loctite fogged up the lens, too.  Looking through my new rear sight was like looking through a pair of nylons.  I removed the lens and flat o-ring and luckily my wife had some lens cleaning solution for her glasses that took that "fog" right off the lens.

I reinstalled it with no round o-ring putting the lens in followed by the flat o-ring.  That arrangement left the same amount of flat o-ring protruding from the hood as on the M1 NM rear sight.

It didn't make that teeny tiny narrow little front sight any bigger, but at least now I can see it.  Not as clear as the thicker M1 front sight, but I can see it.

We'll see what that 90 year old rifle and barrel will do next time I get down to Ramseur.

Have a good one.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Talon

Quote from: wildman on September 29, 2009, 09:23:21 AM
Dog you can spend the night Saturday at the range and then your day won't be so long. I only live 50 miles away but breaking down the camper and packing up is more than I want to do after a field shoot. The evening spent shooting the breeze is most enjoyable.

I'll be shooting my 03A3 perhaps I'll have my "A" game in October.

Yeah. Hooking up to a comfortable, conditioned air camper and driving home is hard work. Maybe get a blister on your pinkie. Maybe get a blister on your thumb.

Sounds like a good time is going to be had. I'm in.

PS: I think we should have the first ever post field shoot poker game that Saturday night. We can use ammo for chips. 22LR's will NOT get you dealt in.

wildman

This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

wildman

Its October and I almost forgot shooters coming to the Alvin York Shoot should bring a pumpkin. The pumpkin should about 9 inches in diameter. Its not a requirement but a suggestion. You don't want to miss the fun.

See you there.

wildman

I'm going to the range the 15th for the AS and Operation Ranch Hand and will be there until after the Alvin York Shoot which means no internet. If you have questions suggest you browse the Home Range Event Forum. 99% of all questions are answered there. If you can't find your answer there send a PM to Hawkeye. He's got good sense and stays home near his 'puter and family.

See you at the range

jmdavis

One day a sling will magically appear on my 03 sporter. Then again, I heard somewhere that magic only works on TV.

I really wish that I could come to this shoot. It sounds like alot of fun. But it would make three weekends on the road in a row.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

hawkeye

I got your back while your in the field Wildman.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

The Kid

I am really looking forward to this shoot.  I have my own little suprise for those pumpkins  :~ they don't stand a chance!  See you there guys.  Don't forget to bring one, you will regret it if you don't  O0

The Kid
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

JohnnyReb

I'll be there too. I'm going to bring my Savage FP-10 with mil-dot scope. It will be the first time I've played with it beyond 200.

Hotdogs as usual, with red onions for wildman!
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.