News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN, September 5-6-7, 2009

Started by dond, September 09, 2009, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Our first three day AS was held at Puryear over Labor Day weekend with the able assistance of Lineman, TwoGlock, TNTimberwright, and jpanderson, who happens to be the son of Big Papa and Big Mama. They can be proud of him. Only 5 participants were showing as pre-registered until Thursday night. I suspected more would be attending, and indeed 24 emerged on the list that night. Thirty-one showed up Saturday morning.  :D Twenty eight arrived Sunday, and this included a new shooter, Debbie. Sixteen were present Monday. Seven of the shooters were women and 10 young men were 14 and under. Six of the 32 had been to a previous AS. Debbie was shooting one of my LTRs, and immediately began shooting better than many of the ones who were there on Saturday. And she did not have much experience with a rifle.  The attendance at this AS was one of our largest, and it was highly gratifying. Eight members of an extended family arrived in three cars from Chattanooga. --- We were also very pleased to have AS's historian, Fireman Bill, visiting and shooting with us.

The county's First Responders furnished a lunch of barbeque sandwiches and homemade ice cream on apple dumplings. (At noon on Saturday, the up-coming 70th birthday of Dond was observed, much to his chagrin and embarrassment.   Mrs. Dond.)  %)

As the rifles were brought out Saturday, we noticed that there were several brand new ones still in their cardboard boxes. Things proceeded a little slower than usual,  partially due to equipment issues, and we didn't get to an AQT. Several shooters were doing very well. Two ladies from St. Louis were shooting so well that I expected at least one of them to shoot a Rifleman score eventually. However, they were called home because of sick children.

Sunday began with one inch squares for sighting in purposes before beginning AQTs. All the young boys present behaved exceptionally well and were very safety conscious. A nine year old was a particular joy to work with. His form and results indicate that he will be a  fine shooter soon. His brother, age 14, was already a fine shooter. He was the first to get a Rifleman score!  O0 After this, he gave the rifle to his father so his father might have a better chance to get his patch. Then the son shot a few times with a 30-30 lever action, then shot several times with a Mosin-Nagant carbine!  :~ Following this, Lineman's son and a local club member earned their patches. This was expected because they both had been shooting exceptional groups since Saturday. In fact, both of them cleaned the Redcoats Saturday morning and were the only ones to do so.

Lunch this day was topped with ice cream and a big brownie. If more people knew about this, I expect we would have even larger participation.

About mid-afternoon Sunday, while we were shooting an AQT, it began raining heavily. Fortunately, we were shooting under cover, but the targets and backing soon became waterlogged. After completing the AQT, we retrieved the targets and stands to cover and scored them. Then targets and fresh backing were re-stapled to the stands, covered with clear plastic garbage can liners, replaced on the target line, and the shooting resumed.  :~ Eventually the rain subsided and quit.

Monday morning was begun with AQTs again. Several malfunctions occurred due to dirty rifles. This slowed the proceedings some and  emphasized the need for cleaning the rifles, especially after the second day of a three-day event. An unusual event occurred. In one rifle, the complete rim of a 22 cartridge was blown off the remainder of the case, which remained in the chamber. It had to be removed with a patch on a jag which was run down the barrel. A picture of this may appear later.

TwoGlock, who had been IITing the first two days, decided to shoot Monday, and attained one of his usual scores; 237. He loaned his rifle to the fellow club member who had shot his Rifleman score the previous day with a bolt rifle, who promptly shot a 240. TwoGlock tried to redeem himself, but could only manage a 239.

Several shooters were showing much improvement during the day. But about 3:00 p.m., the usual heat and exhaustion became apparent and was accompanied by scores leveling off or decreasing. This was very apparent with two of the ladies present, Katie and Debbie, who had been shooting very well earlier. I suggested that everyone go to the air conditioned clubhouse and rest while they cooled off. Several did, but others still wanted to continue shooting, so we accommodated them with another AQT. After returning, Katie shot a Rifleman score on the first AQT, and Debbie shot her Rifleman score on the second AQT. We were all elated, especially the ladies' husbands, who have yet to earn their patches. I'm confident that one of these husbands would have attained his patch if he hadn't incurred so many malfunctions. Debbie will soon have a brand new LTR. I expect Katie and her husband will eventually be joining us with orange hats.

We continued shooting until it was nearly dark. Everyone enjoyed the event and expressed their appreciation. Several lingered afterward, discussing it.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

FiremanBill

DonD -

My hat's off to you, Lineman, TwoGlock, TnTimberwright, JPAnderson80, spouses present, (especially Sarah), and the lovely gals from the First Responders who kept us happy at lunchtime.

The Puryear Appleseed was the perfect way to spend a 3-day holiday.  I can't believe how fast the time passed. 

I appreciate the help you provided, and especially the loan of your scoped 10-22.  Without the gear and your fine advice I sincerely doubt I would be knocking on the door with that 209 score Monday afternoon. 

I had never visited your "neck of the woods" up to this point, but firmly believe you wil be seeing more of FiremanBill in the future.

Please pass my regards on to all your "helpers."  Hope to see you all soon.        O0

FiremanBill
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Jack Ryan for President!

CQ CQ CQ de N8NRT.....

Determined451

DonD...as I told you before I left...I could not have imagined having a better time at a shoot..these courses are quite a bargin....I had been to  (I guess) one of the first in Puryer, 2006,..If my memory serves..this was the first time you got to call the line...what a difference ...I have been to several schools, run a gun club, and taught Skeet, and Trap lessons...I KNOW the amount of work you, Sarah, and the others put into this weekend...If a person did not enjoy this shoot..or learn something new...He probably never will...I had several questions..all were answered to my satisfaction..in the first 2 hours, I found 3 problems to work on.. ..thank everyone for their hard work...Of special intrest to me were the number of women and young adults present...remember...that is the future of our Nation...I was really impressed with the how the instruction had progressed...loved the visual aid, ect...As you know,  Lineman got my chair, and my tag.....then loaned me his son's rifle, and ammo...to me one of the best parts of the weekend was to share the line with a fine young man like Thomas..I feel I was able to start developing new friendships...It is nice to be around people with common goals and beliefs....I did miss him on Monday...I was disappointed with my schores of 200 (two shots short in standing, and 203...I had hoped to do better, but I guess the heat, and gun malfunctions took it's toll...I really enjoyed the relaxed instruction, and kindness of everyone involved...keep up the good work, and I hope to see you soon...I have the pictures edited...if anyone can tell me how to put them on here, I will do so ...talkto you soon, Determined 451
The Second Ammendment--America's Original Homeland Security

Big Papa

Patch or no patch, you still have to cook! - Big Mama

voortrekker

Quote from: Determined451 on September 09, 2009, 10:22:31 PM
...I have the pictures edited...if anyone can tell me how to put them on here, I will do so ...talkto you soon, Determined 451

photobucket.com works for me on this forum........and it's free.

I am glad you had a good experience Determined451.

Focus on the front sight.

Brett
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

jpanderson80

What a great weekend! 
Congrats to everyone who came out and had lots of fun and persisted through the brief but foul weather and slight heat.  Congrats to our new riflemen!

We had a great shoot and I'm so thankful for those at the Henry County Gun Club for once again opening their place open for an Appleseed Shoot. 
Tennessee - the patron state of "shootin' stuff"

Determined451

I had a thought last night...uncommon for me.........U have 3 children...grown..10 grands...with five of them men...I have a fairly extensive military collection that I was trying to decide how to split up at my death...for years I have been trying to prepare a weapon for each manchild...each of the girls also ...I agree with DonD..women are the best students......So...how to split them up..........easy..

Determined451

first thing..learn how to use a computer to express your toughts...I said easy...have each one shoot an AQT...with the highest score getting first pick, on down..this is a collection of battle rifles  3 M1A's, several AR's,a Grand, ect...each has plenty of mags, and 1000 rds of ammo, even has the bayonet (probably over kill here).. We will meet once a year around a holiday, and shoot an AQT...requalify at that time..they will have to attend an Appleseed to claim their rifle...the girls will compete as well...I will then go thru the process on the pistol side...that way..I know the equipment gets into the right hands......I pray to God each night they will never need to use them........Thanks, Appleseed...D-451

dart67eb

Once again, thanks Don and Mrs. Don!  All of the boys had a great time.  I've received calls and emails from all of my son's friend's parents thanking me and saying the boys couldn't stop talking about it.  Also, thanks to JPanderson for helping out on our end of the line.  I'll be back with Pete at the Lobleville event in oct since my 206 doesn't mean anything anymore.  It was a long ride home with my rifleman 14yr old.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

lineman

What a great weekend! Fantasic people, shooting, & good food. It was my first AS as a IIT, a really enjoyable experience, to help people to
learn to shoot. Plus, my son got to come with me to his first AS, & he shot rifleman. Thanks Determined 451 for your kind words about him, & I
wish you had told me about the M1As, we might could have done some trading. Hope you got that new trigger group. A.D. you hang in there,
come down one weekend & dond will get you busting 230 before long. A special thanks to Don & Sarah for a fine job. Hope to see ya'll soon,
Lineman.

Determined451

Lineman..I am going to have to be very careful what I tell you...I feel lucky to still have my boots and underwear...actually, If I thought you needed them......anyway...My comments about Thomas were from the heart..He is a fine young man...you have a package inbound today...D-451

Marianne

I am one of the two ladies who came from St. Louis!  I had a wonderful time and learned so much.  I knew NOTHING about the rifle, how to load, etc!  I knew less than a newbie!  Everyone was so encouraging and kind.  There wasn't one person I met who was anything but wonderful.  I especially enjoyed the ladies around us.  One came with a 3 week old puppy and the other came with an entourage of boys.  I would like to come to another Appleseed soon and hope to see our instructors again.  Dond was amazing.  When he gave the history lessons, I was riveted.  I could have soaked up hours of his lessons.  I did get Paul Revere's Ride and will start it today.  The other ITT's were terrific. I don't know their blog names.  Sorry.  I know I must have driven them crazy because my fingers and my brain were not cooperating.  It was hot and sweaty there, too, but I am so looking forward to another try at it.  I am going to practice and build up my strength. 
About the food: I cannot begin to express my gratitude to the First Responders and the ladies who served our lunch on Saturday.  The food was beyond delicious and the service was five star.  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you! 
Special thanks to Dond's wife who was so organized and so helpful and so friendly.  She made me feel welcome and at home.

idahobob

A short comment on this shoot.

The eight member extended family from Chattanooga was our oldest son, his wife and an assortment of in-laws.

Katie, who shot rifleman, is my FAVORITE daughter-in-law.
We are sooooooo proud of her. ;D ;D ;D ;D O0 O0

Bob
III
How to overthrow the system: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it. -- Edward Abbey

Determined451

One of the greatest pleasures of the weekend for me was watching all of our young people...It gives me a little more confidence in our future...all of you who had to listen to bragging on the way home...I envy you.....I am proud of each and everyone. ..hopefully we can all work together to save this Nation for them to enjoy as much as we have..D-451