News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Albion NY - Barre Center DAR Appleseed Oct 31- Nov 1 2009

Started by B9, September 04, 2009, 07:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Flier available below.

A DESIGNATED APPLESEED RANGE (DAR) right here in NY! Not just anywhere in NY but out west where Appleseed has never been.
We are one step closer to goal number 26, an Appleseed event within an hours drive to any New Yorker.

This is short notice, the capacity is 50 as of now so lets get busy selling it out.

This site will also host one of our April 2010 shoots.
Thanks again to Nut Farmer for his most generous gift to us all.

Range: Private Land - Barre Center Appleseed Range (DAR)   

Address: 13582 Miller Road, Albion, NY 14411-9517

When: October 31st - Nov 1st 2009

Range Fee: None

Camping Available: Free camping on site. Limited electric available. Potable water available.

Hotels: ‎Numerous 15-20 minutes south on NYS Thruway Interstate 90.
Days Inn 200 Oak St, Batavia, NY‎  (585) 343-1440‎
Comfort Inn 4371 Federal Drive, Batavia, NY (585) 344-9999

Directions:
From Interstate 90 Take exit  48 for NY RT 98 toward Batavia. Turn right on RT 98 north toward Albion. 12.5 miles take left on Maple Street. 2 mile take left on Miller Road.

GPS: 43.180188-78.241595

State Laws to be aware of:
Check State Laws - www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

Misc:
Range Rules - No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Eye and ear protection required. No shooting before 9am or after dusk or 5pm. No .50 BMG's. Respect the land and neighbors and all will be good. Outhouse on site. Uncovered firing line. Pole barn with electric nearby for lunch/classroom work. Remember this is lake plains area of Upstate NY. Dress appropriately for the season and current weather conditions. Barre Deli 5 minutes away. Bring snacks and water. We will most likely send a runner to get deli sandwiches for lunch.

Added by range/land owner.......
If you're going to attend the Barre Center Halloween Appleseed a couple of item to add:

1) Please bring along your coffee pot as I'll have a table set up with power strips.  At least bring some coffee and use my pot.

2) Bring two chairs - one for on the range and one for in the pole barn for classroom work and lunch.

3) We'll be shooting in a sileage corn field so bring a good ground cover.  In the future the range will be mowed and it will be a lawn.  Suck it up this year and get a little dirt on those boots.  Still better than sitting on the couch.

For More Information Contact: NY@appleseedinfo.org  or 607-727-9282

Registration Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/427255934 
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Status and Task List for:
Albion NY - Barre Center DAR October 31st-Nov 1st 2009
Last Updated: October 21 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Information

Date: October 31st-Nov 1st 2009
Shoot Boss: B9
Instructors/IITs: Crak (RH), Imker (RH), Gunville (IIT3), Josey Wales (IIT1), Theblonde (IIT3)
Pre-Registrations:  16
Event Information Page:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9352.0
Pre-Registration Page:  http://www.eventbrite.com/event/427255934 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tasks / Action Items
These items below require action. Please respond in this thread to volunteer and complete a task or fill a role.
Items with names and dates in parens have been assigned and are in progress. Items with a strike are complete.

Logistics, Administrative and Staffing
Host contacted
Present to club's Board of Directors
Event scheduled with Host
Host Application signed and submitted
EIP information submitted
Shoot Boss needed
Red Hat(s) needed
Orange Hats needed
Management of target backers and shoot supplies
Supply request submitted
Pre-shoot setup

Promotional Tasks/Promotional Efforts to Date

Host range has/is informing members and local area
NY state Promotions Boss has/is contacting NY Boy Scouts, 4H, Home School Associations, VFWs etc.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

Hey there Nut Farmer!

Out of curiosity what is your electrical setup on-site?   What I'm thinking about is the coffee pots - I have three, ranging from 650 to 1200 watts.  A 15 amp circuit will allow a max of 1650 watts while a 20 amp will allow 2200.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how large a coffee maker to bring and how much power it will require.  If need be I can probably borrow a 50 cup urn from work - but I'll need to take a look at the rating on it to see if it will work with your power setup.  Worse case I have a 30 cup, a 22 cup and a 15 cup; but the combined power requirements of all three will be about 2700 watts and that will require two 20 amp circuits.

I really like my hot perked coffee...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Nut Farmer

The pole barn has four 20 amp circuits, one circuit per wall.  So we can use the one circuit by the table along the one wall where we'll put the coffee pots and I have a HD extension crod that we can run to catch another circuit.  Bring on the coffee pots!!  I am glad to hear you are coming to my first event.  Are you going to bring some folks with you (BOTG)?

Doug
NY DAR (Barre Center) Owner
NY Promotions Boss
PA Promotions Boss
WNY BOTG
SUPPORT RWVA - Hold An Appleseed!

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Nut Farmer on October 07, 2009, 10:28:43 PM
The pole barn has four 20 amp circuits, one circuit per wall.  So we can use the one circuit by the table along the one wall where we'll put the coffee pots and I have a HD extension crod that we can run to catch another circuit.  Bring on the coffee pots!!  I am glad to hear you are coming to my first event.  Are you going to bring some folks with you (BOTG)?

Doug

I wouldn't miss it - you have a beautiful place there!

(A slight pause in the action as the NY Yankees take game one of the ALDS.v. Cleveland)

As far as who I'm bringing along...  I have no firm commitments yet, but I'm still working on Burlington Flats this weekend.  Once I get back home from that shoot I'll begin distribution of the fliers for your event.

I would love to drag my wife along!  Well, for one thing I'll need a backup driver - that's a LONG drive back to Albany after a busy weekend.  However, she would really like to get involved in Appleseed.  There are two problems to be dealt with however: first, she is still recovering from abdominal surgery in August and not too keen on the idea of putting 400 rounds through a rifle yet (although she wouldn't mind cooking for now as an alternative); and second, there are 'the boyz' (http://mysite.verizon.net/mjanspacher/pets_main.html).  We have two eight-year-old Weimaraners who are somewhat high-strung and can be unruly - in particular, they bark at each and every mouse fart!.  We don't get out much because of this - someone has to feed them and let them out on occasion, so weekend trips are pretty much out of the question.  As yet we have been unsuccessful in finding a volunteer to keep an eye on them so my wife is stuck with that task.  And to add a further level of complexity, due to medical reasons I'm out of the tent camping business so a hotel or motel are required for most over-nighters.  Getting one that will accept two 80# barking dogs is pretty much impossible.

But enough of that - we still have three weeks to go before the shoot.  Anything is possible!

Do we have a tentative head count yet?
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Nut Farmer

There is a very good kennel that boards dogs just 10 minutes north of me in Albion.  A weekend of lodging shouldn't set you back much - plus you could visit them after the day in the field Saturday.  Just a thought.

The headcount is at 4 so far that have pre-registered as of Monday night.  I don't know how many have been mailed in to NC.  We need to get these numbers up!  Come on folks, grab an RV or tent with a heater and come help open up the new NY DAR for business.  Get pre-registered ASAP so B9 knows better how to staff it.

Thanks,
Doug
NY Promotions Boss
PA Promotions Boss
WNY BOTG

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Nut Farmer on October 07, 2009, 11:29:50 PM
There is a very good kennel that boards dogs just 10 minutes north of me in Albion.  A weekend of lodging shouldn't set you back much - plus you could visit them after the day in the field Saturday.  Just a thought.
And an excellent thought at that!  Do you have a name and/or number for the kennel so I can inquire?

QuoteThe headcount is at 4 so far that have pre-registered as of Monday night.  I don't know how many have been mailed in to NC.  We need to get these numbers up!  Come on folks, grab an RV or tent with a heater and come help open up the new NY DAR for business.  Get pre-registered ASAP so B9 knows better how to staff it.
I don't suppose you also have a RV rental place nearby, do you?  Around here I'm looking at around $250/night plus mileage - for two or three days' rental I can buy a used one.  But of course I have no where to park it...

Nut Farmer

A very good kennel is in Batavia just 15-20 minutes away to the south where you'll be conming from when you get off the thruway (I-90).  It's a 24/7 supervised NYS Licensed kennel so it's not just a "cell" for the weekend.  They run the dogs and groom them if you desire.  You would exit the Thruway and make a left at the light on to Rt. 98 heading south.  You go several city blocks and at the second light, that is Main St.  The Kennel address and # is:

Belhaven Kennels
Boarding-Grooming
4098 S. Main St.
Batavia, NY  14020
(585) 343-5602

Call and check them out and make your reservations to drop the dogs off Friday 10/30 and come get the RV set up on Friday so you can get a fresh start Saturday morning.  Plus you could help me and B9 get the range and pole barn ready for the weekend.  The kennel option would be ideal so you would have no worries and the "kids" nearby.  Plus your wife doesn't have to be stuck at home with the dogs.  The farm is a beautiful place to camp for the weekend.

As far as the RV - you will park it next to my pole barn (DAR HQ) and plug in.  I have 20 amp 120V circuits and one 50 amp 240 V circuit.  Maybe help me out a little for power and I'm happy.  That's part of the deal at my Appleseeds - RV's and campers welcome on-site.  Fred inquired if people could put cots in the pole barn too and that is a yes, but there is no heat at this time other than a kerosene salamander.  I do have a wood furnace in the pole barn but it's not installed at this time.  If we get serious about cooler weather shoots up here, I'll have to get it hooked-up.

Doug
NY Promotions Boss
PA Promotions Boss
WNY BOTG

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Nut Farmer on October 08, 2009, 09:32:12 AM
Fred inquired if people could put cots in the pole barn too and that is a yes, but there is no heat at this time other than a kerosene salamander.  I do have a wood furnace in the pole barn but it's not installed at this time.  If we get serious about cooler weather shoots up here, I'll have to get it hooked-up.

I have two 23K BTU kero radiant heaters - how much effect do you think they might have inside the barn?  If your ceiling is low enough this and your salamander may do the trick.

Nut Farmer

Bring them along, they may be all we need.  The barn is 28x32 with an open rafter metal roof - should hold heat though if it's not too windy.  We shouldn't be in there that much other than instruction, history and lunch.  It would be nice to have a place to warm up.  Hopefully we'll have a nice Halloween and the weather won't be an issue.

Buy that RV, pack up the family and head west!

Doug
NY Promotions Boss
PA Promotions Boss
WNY BOTG

Another D.O.M.

How close is the nearest LPG refill station?

I ask because it occurs to me that my kero heaters may likely self-destruct along the 4 1/2 hour trip to the Nut Grove, but an 80,000 BTU LPG heater should weather the trip pretty well; and at 1.9#/hr one 20#LPG tank should last about 10 hrs.

So do I plan for two 20# tanks or do I plan for one - and a (Blue Rhino) swap overnight?

Or do I simply plan to transport the kero heaters and rebuild them at the barn...

It's that damnable 'techie' mind always working...

Nut Farmer

There are many tank swap out places in Albion, Elba (the Yellow Goose store across from the school in the middle of town on Rt. 98), and Batavia.  Getting your own tank filled should not be a problem on Friday afternoon before 5PM.  There are several places nearby - and one I'd really recommend if you need to fill up your tanks about 20 minutes away just off Rt. 77 on the Tonwande Seneca Nation reservation.  Cheap gas, propane and cigarettes (no NYS taxes!!!).

These Braves were the ones that burned tires on the Thruway one night a few years back when George Pataki thought he was going to start making them pay NYS taxes so the "surrounding communities merchants were on a level playing field".  Screw that - that was never the deal in the US treaty with them.  They are a wholly soveriegn Nation who just happen to be in New York which is where they are from (they were here first!).  They are not to be interfered with by our Government on their land.  God bless them.  OK I'll get off my soapbox...
NY Promotions Boss
PA Promotions Boss
WNY BOTG

B9

Bring boots and a ground cover.
The range/berm building has left a grassless shooting range. Soil is sandy so it won't be pure mud but it will be messy.
Medea Benjamin

Nut Farmer

Yep!

Doug
NY Promotions Boss
PA Promotions Boss
WNY BOTG

B9

I am leaving now. Josey Wales is on route and about 2 hours out.
See you all soon.

Medea Benjamin

crak

Check your drama at the door.