News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calverton NY Appleseed shoot October 17-18 2009

Started by B9, September 01, 2009, 03:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Back by popular demand. The folks at http://www.longislandfirearms.com/ are really helping get the word out.

Flyers:  Available below

Range: Calverton Shooting Range
             On Long Island New York

Address: 395 Nugent Drive, Calverton, NY 11933

When:
October 17-18, 2009

Range Fee:
$20.00 per person per day including Instructors. People under 16 are exempt from range fee.

Camping Available:
Camp off site, about 6 miles away in Riverhead. http://www.lirv.com/camps/indian.htm Approx 30.00 per night. Restrooms and showers availible.

Hotels:
Holiday Inn, 1707 Old Country Rd., Riverhead, NY‎ - (877) 863-4780‎
Best Western, 1830 Route 25, Riverhead, NY‎ - (631) 369-2200‎

Closet Airport: Brookhaven Airport or NYC Airports

Directions:
From New York City take Interstate 495 east to exit 71 for NY24 towards Hampton Bays/Calverton. Turn right on to NY 24 follow to 395 Nugent Drive, Calverton NY.

If coming from the New England area and Upstate NY you may wish to take the ferry from Bridgeport CT to avoid the NYC area traffic. Take the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson ferry to Port Jefferson NY. Turn right on NY-25A, left on Barnum Road, right on main Street, Left on Hallock Ave, slight right on Rte-25A bypass, slight left on Parker Road, slight left on Middle Country Road, right on Edwards Ave continue to 395 Nugent Road.

GPS: 40.907195,-72.705259

State Laws to be aware of:
Check State Laws: www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

Misc: CHECK IN 8:00 AM  -  We start at 8:30
Range Rules - No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Eye and ear protection required. No shooting before 9am or after dusk or 5pm. No rapid fire. This range has up to 100 yards possible. Food on site for a nominal fee. Near the famous Hampton's and New York City. Take a couple extra days to vacation along the beaches of Long Island or the streets of The Big Apple.

For More Information: NY@appleseedinfo.org  or 607-727-9282

Registration Link: Oct 17-18 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/423486660

Special information: Due to the layout of the ranges, it is possible to be "sprayed" with lead from shot or pistol. This spent "lead rain" in our past visit was not much of an issue, but the possibility exists, and you should know about it and understand there's a reason "eye and ear protection is REQUIRED" at this location. For this reason, attendance is at your own risk.

You can download, print and distribute the flyers below, wherever you travel.  The more people on the line, the more shoots we can have!
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Status and Task List for:
Calverton NY October 17-18 2009
Last Updated: October 8 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Information

Date: October 17th-18th 2009
Shoot Boss: B9
Instructors/IITs: ..Josey Wales.. (IIT) YankeePatriot (IIT) Mikep (IIT2)? Chainsaw (RI)
Pre shoot set up: Vergeltung
Pre-Registrations: 30
Event Information Page:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7979.0
Pre-Registration Page:   http://www.eventbrite.com/event/423486660

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tasks / Action Items
These items below require action. Please respond in this thread to volunteer and complete a task or fill a role.
Items with names and dates in parens have been assigned and are in progress. Items with a strike are complete.

Logistics, Administrative and Staffing
Host contacted
Present to club's Board of Directors
Event scheduled with Host
Host Application signed and submitted
EIP information submitted
Shoot Boss needed
Red Hat(s) needed
Orange Hats needed
Management of target backers and shoot supplies
Supply request submitted

Promotional Tasks/Promotional Efforts to Date

Host range has/is informing members and local area
LBOTG is hitting local area and internet forums
RWVA/Appleseed has dedicated section on http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/
NY state Promotions Boss has/is contacting NY Boy Scouts, 4H, Home School Associations, VFWs etc.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Vergeltung

I could volunteer to help with the pre-shoot set up, if I am allowed.  :)

B9

Quote from: Vergeltung on October 02, 2009, 10:10:25 AM

Would not want it any other way. Thanks, I will put you down and will touch base again as we get closer.
Medea Benjamin

Vergeltung

Quote from: B9 on October 02, 2009, 10:43:12 AM
Quote from: Vergeltung on October 02, 2009, 10:10:25 AM

Would not want it any other way. Thanks, I will put you down and will touch base again as we get closer.

great! looking forward to it.

B9

Quote from: LtFrankie on September 07, 2009, 12:39:03 AM
I live in Queens and a seventeen (well, will be in 24 minutes) male. While my mother thinks it's wrong for her to get a rifle/shotgun license for me to have my own firearm, she has no problem with me going to the Appleseed Project event at Calverton. But without any firearm of my own, I can't really participate.

What I'm wondering is, is if any of the instructors there would be willing to loan me a firearm of some sort? I really want to particpate and it'd give me valuable experience for when I can finally own one after I move out.  :)

I sent you a PM.
Medea Benjamin

B9

Updated Event Info Page with campste info.
There is also a good chance that an on site lunch BBQ may happen. Just hot dogs and stuff.
More updates to come.
Medea Benjamin

StoutOfHeart

Okay, six days left before Calverton. Hopefully everything's set. I am pretty psyched for my first Appleseed. Hoping my first of many if we get the turn out.

I have sucky friends. >:D They all have an excuse why they can't make next weekend, even my Military buddy who wouldn't even have to pay but the daily range fee. I haven't been able to get out to test my new Ruger 10/22. I did install a set of Tech-Sights but haven't had a chance to zero them. I may try again this Friday otherwise that will be the first order of the day on Saturday when we start shooting. Life is too darn busy lately, I know everyone understands as I'm sure you all find yourselves in the same position, too.

Well, I'll see you all there.

Vergeltung

gonna be there with bells on!! no BBQ, so make sure to bring yer own grub, or prepare to go out foraging.  :)

StoutOfHeart

Any chance they'll delay this, set-up a rain date? There's a good possibility that the range will be flooded this weekend. Also, looking at 20 MPH winds with steady rain from tonight until Sunday afternoon.

Do we get extra points to help us earn our patch if we score close-to-Rifleman while shooting from a row boat? :))

Vergeltung

Quote from: StoutOfHeart on October 16, 2009, 04:59:01 PM
Any chance they'll delay this, set-up a rain date? There's a good possibility that the range will be flooded this weekend. Also, looking at 20 MPH winds with steady rain from tonight until Sunday afternoon.
Do we get extra points to help us earn our patch if we score close-to-Rifleman while shooting from a row boat? :))

most of the Pine Barrens (the larger area within which the range is located) is a very sandy soil. there will be some puddling for sure, but no too much mud. however, it is very windy when the weather is "up" like this. the combo of wind & rain, well, that's another story.

B9

5am. Clear, dry and cool. Lets hope it holds out!
Medea Benjamin

Vergeltung

Quote from: B9 on October 17, 2009, 06:15:59 AM
5am. Clear, dry and cool. Lets hope it holds out!

rain should hold until afternoon as per report this am. see you in an hour!