News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Florida Appleseeders CHECK-IN!

Started by ItsanSKS, August 13, 2009, 01:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

Folks, after reorganizing our web forum we need to take stock of who is here, and who is doing what.  If you know someone who belongs on this forum, yet hasn't checked in, PM me with their contact info and I'll make sure they get access.

Please post below with the following information:

1: Which Appleseed you've attended/plan to attend.

2: Where you are located (county/city is fine)

3: What you've done to help promote Appleseed in the past, and what you are currently working on. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

douglas34474

Douglas34474 checking in.

I've been to the Myakka and Hernando AS events. Will be going to the Bradford Sportsman's Farm event on August 29 & 30.

Located just out side of beautiful downtown Ft. McCoy (don't blink or you'll miss it **)) in Marion County.

Been passing out fliers everywhere I can think of. I've gotten on our local Talk Radio several times to get AS at least heard of.

I've contacted my local State Rep. Mr. Charles VanSant and have him coming to Bradford to shoot with us and see what we are all about.

Working to see what else we can come up with to get the word out faster and farther. ;)

gjwilliamsjr

Gary Williams here.

I am registered for the Hernando Appleseed in October with my wife.

We live in Saint Cloud, Osceola County.

I discovered Appleseed in April, and introduced my brother to it.  He and his wife were scheduled to attend Throop NY Appleseed in August, but it was cancelled, and he hasn't been able to reschedule, YET, but he will.  I'll be leaving fliers at the Strickland range in Daytona this weekend, and letting as many people as I can know about the program.

panhead

Panhead

Located in New Port Richey near Little Rd. and 52

I attended the first AS at Hernando last October. I will be at the HSC shoot in October this year trying for the rifleman patch. Cash flow and work issues have slowed my efforts at widely spreading the word.

Not many shootists or patriots amongst my acquaintences. Time to hook up with a better class of folks. Too bad the Paramore gang is so far away  :(

I will be at the Hernando Sportmans Club gun show Saturday at Hernando County Fairgrounds. I may work the show as a club volunteer as I normally do. I will bring AS promo materials also, although I don't have a table, I will be circulating in my spare time.
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

caseyblane

1. Registered for Hinesville, GA in October and helping promote the St. Augustine event (plan to be there for some of the weekend for support, taking pictures or something. I am hosting a family reunion that Saturday.)

2. Jacksonville

3. I've been posting flyers for the St. Augustine event around the area, sending invitations to my state legislators and congressman, and trying to get the event in Community Events listings. I also created Facebook Event pages for the Hinesville and St. Augustine event to invite my friends, co-workers, and acquaintances. I'm also assembling a rag tag group of liberty training rifles (I come across a lot of friends who are interested but don't have a rifle). So far I only have two.

I feel kind of goofy getting so excited about the Appleseed Project without even having attended an event yet, but I feel the program is the kind of thing I've been looking to get involved with for years. Since college I've been involved in politics, pursued a career as a firefighter, helped found a new church, and a myriad of other things, all to try to find a way to make the world a better place. I've never felt like I really found it until now.

"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

gcvaughn

I attended the Pensacola Appleseed shoot back in April.  I am in the panhandle region of Florida, and have been handing out the folding business cards that I bought from the AS store.  I am trying to make more time to be able to promote AS more and attend another, would love to start on the instructor path.
I like shooting with precision.  It appeals to every part of me- AdobeWallsOfFla

marrandy

I live in Pinellas County, Florida.

I'm registered for the event in St. Augustine.

I'm VERY interested in the whole concept and have read all the after action reports.

I would have liked to attend the IBC at Hernando in September but haven't done an Appleseed shoot yet.

I'm planning (travel plans excepting) to do some Myakka & Hernando events.

I am looking forward to finding out when the next Florida Instructor training is in early 2010 but in the meantime, will watch, observe and take notes.

The one issue I can see is that I have read that Instructors don't get to shoot.  I hope there is an opportunity in the day/weekend for instructors to take turns to shoot up to 100 rounds.  I'm not talking about free, but paying the basic range fee.

If someone wants help organising and can shoot (pun intended) me a line what they need doing, I will try and help out

marrandy

OK - I have just printed out 100 Florida Flyer PDF's.

It would be good to know where people are droping them off in my area so I don't duplicate the effort.

I'm going to pass OnPoint Firearms 4th Street North around 22nd Avenue in St. Petersburg later, so I will stop in.

panhead

Quote from: marrandy on September 16, 2009, 03:44:57 PM

It would be good to know where people are droping them off in my area so I don't duplicate the effort.

I'm going to pass OnPoint Firearms 4th Street North around 22nd Avenue in St. Petersburg later, so I will stop in.

howdy

I left some at Wain Roberts about a month or so ago when I was down in Pineapple Park. Don't get down that way much these days. I am in Pasco, but was down there and had some left over from the HSC Gun & Knife in August.

But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

ItsanSKS

While Instructors may not have the time to shoot during an Appleseed event, this does not preclude them from enjoying the shooting sports altogether!

In fact, I am hoping to get an Instructor shoot put together soon (December?) at either HSC or Manatee Gun Club. 

Regarding the "Instructor Training" you speak of- while we are holding an Instructor Boot Camp in a few weeks, this is not required for becoming an Instructor In Training; all that is needed is:
1: Have attended (2) Appleseed events.*
2: Achieved a score of 210 or higher on an AQT.* 
3: Express a desire to don the Orange Hat, joining the ranks of fellow Americans dedicated to restoring the Traditions and Heritage of the founding generation.
*= may be waived, at the sole discretion of a Master Instructor. 

Once you do those three things, you will be an official Instructor In Training, and will be welcome to help instruct at any event afterward.  By stepping up to be an IIT, you will be granted access to the Instructor Board, which has a vast array of information, all of which can help you progress as both an Instructor, and a Rifleman.  As those of us who have joined the Instructor Corps know, becoming an Instructor, and helping others achieve Rifleman status is a sure way to raise your AQT scores, and it just makes ya feel good, too.

Instructor Boot Camps are held whenever (and wherever) there are 4 or more IIT's who can commit to attend.    Hopefully, we will hold another in early spring of '10- to do this, though, we must attract more attendees to our shoots, especially those in Myakka.  More attendees = more Riflemen = more IIT's. 

Quote from: marrandy on September 16, 2009, 02:27:58 PM
I live in Pinellas County, Florida.

I'm registered for the event in St. Augustine.

I'm VERY interested in the whole concept and have read all the after action reports.

I would have liked to attend the IBC at Hernando in September but haven't done an Appleseed shoot yet.

I'm planning (travel plans excepting) to do some Myakka & Hernando events.

I am looking forward to finding out when the next Florida Instructor training is in early 2010 but in the meantime, will watch, observe and take notes.

The one issue I can see is that I have read that Instructors don't get to shoot.  I hope there is an opportunity in the day/weekend for instructors to take turns to shoot up to 100 rounds.  I'm not talking about free, but paying the basic range fee.

If someone wants help organising and can shoot (pun intended) me a line what they need doing, I will try and help out
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

marrandy

Quote from: marrandy on September 16, 2009, 03:44:57 PM

OK - I dropped some off.  They work out of a packing store that does UPS, Fedex etc. so there is a lot of traffic.  Evan (the gun shop owner) says he will copy the ones I gave him and put them on the counter.  He is also interested in doing a appleseed shoot.

I tried the Library at King/9th St. and 68th Avenue North.  I was told as there was money involved, it wasn't acceptable but plan to clarify that policy at the main St. Petersburg Library.  If no one else is covering St. Petersburg, I'll hit all the places that are relavent the next couple of weeks.  I'll update you with all the places I hit.  The flyers only mention Hernando and Manatee/Myakka so its good for this area.

Talk to you all later.

Regards...Martin

ItsanSKS

Be sure to inform them that though we charge non-military adult males for attending, it is absolutely free for women, children, and those currently serving in the armed forces.

Also be sure to inform them of our non-profit status.  This should clear a few doors for you, as well.

If they have any questions that you don't have the answer for, feel free to give them my contact info.

marrandy

The obvious solution in this case would be to remove the entrance fee from the flyer and just leave the  "FOR MORE INFORMATION" etc.

We'll see how it goes.

marrandy

It's quiet around here.

How many active people do we have in Florida ???

ItsanSKS

Actually, quite a few- they just don't utilize this website to its best advantage. 

caseyblane

I went to the Jacksonville Gun Show this morning. I gave some flyers to the ladies handing out Tea Party flyers in the parking lot. Then I put some with the other flyers on the table where the raffle box was located. A vendor selling mostly surplus type rifles let me put a stack at their table and the RLC table enthusiastically took the rest and said they would hand them out. I had my seven month old son with me (his first gun show!) and while I was feeding him I had a talk with the George W. Bush impersonator who took a flyer.

I tentatively plan to have a table at the Dec. 19/20 show in Jacksonville. Can anybody help? I've got a crazy idea of dressing up like Johnny Appleseed with 18th century ragged clothes, a tin pot hat, and an LTR over my shoulder!!! Has anyone else done a show in Florida before?
Casey
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

marrandy

I mentioned to a neighbour that I was going to an appleseed and they are interested.

They also asked me how old their kids have to be to attend to shoot in Florida.

I know some states have laws about ages and handling a rifles.

Any idea about Florida.

Thanks...Martin

douglas34474

I have taken my 12 year old Grandson to an AS twice. I believe that the determining factor is the maturity of the young person. As long as they can learn the safety rules and understand basic firearms they are welcome. I know we had one young shooter at the Bradford event that was only 10 and the AS was his first live ammo shoot.

HTH

Douglas

west151precinct

Hi Eric,
West151precinct here.
For the record: 1st AS 0ct/2008 - Hernando
                     1st RBC 05/09 - Rams
                     2nd AS 05/09 - Rams (as an IIT)
                     3rd AS 08/09 - Bradford (Starke) as an IIT-1
                     4th AS 10/09 - Hernando IIT-2
                     5th AS 11/09 - Hernando IIT-3

located in norf fla re dah, Suwannee County!!

Mike

NHale

Glencoe checking in. Went to Hernando, great job team! Going to Myakka. I gotta turn that 207 into something better...

-GS
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

ThaiFighter

This is Wiley checking in...

I travel between Tampa (home) and Tallahassee (work).

Attended Hernando Nov 7-8.  Will be at Myakka this weekend.  Hope to make St. A in December.   My 22 conversion kit for my AR is en route and that should stretch my appleseed budget quite a bit.

Currently promoting by kicking my brother and the guy who introduced me to AS in the pants to get them out for more shoots.  Also posted an AAS on TallahasseeGunForum.com. There was an old thread about appleseed, and there seemed to be a few people interested, so I revived the thread, but haven't gotten a single PM so far.  :-\

Gonna keep at it.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

PHenry

TF,
Saving a country is a "hard sell", but in the words of George Washington - "Can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?"

Glad to have you on board - keep workin on 'em - gentle, but firm - persistence is the key to awakening the sleeping American within our friends and family members.

Thanks,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata