News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Getting the word out

Started by douglas34474, August 12, 2009, 05:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas34474

Back in April, Fred asked me a question. This is what was asked:

"Hey, Douglas!  There's been some questions as to whether the Tea Party people can show us some tips on organizing and getting the word out.

Any thoughts you might have on either of those two issues?"

Prier to the April 18 & 19, 2009 Appleseed at the Hernando County Sportsmen's Club I attended the local Tea Party in Ocala. I passed out somewhere around 200 flyers. I was even able to get on the local talk show to deliver a plug about AS. To my knowledge this resulted in only one individual showing up at the HCSC event, and he was already registered to be at the Myakka event. So my effort had a total outcome of ZERO.

I have checked with the local people that worked on 'getting the word out' about the local Tea Party. Their input to me was to advertise in the local media.

It is my under standing that we have just obtained access to the Myakka range, and that 200 slots are open to shooters. There are three shoots scheduled for the remainder of 2009. That means that we have to reach 600 people to attend. IMHO, there is little likelihood that simply placing flyers in the various places suggested on the forum will ever draw that many people.

There is a long running thread about getting on the Rush Limbaugh radio show to talk about Appleseed. IIRC, it goes back for quite some time, offers a free rifle to anyone who can, all with no results. In all honesty I doubt Rush would allow the subject. But what if you could reach his audience, even without his assistance?

The only way Appleseed is going to accomplish this goal is to advertise on the radio stations that carry his show, and others. More and more people are turning to Talk Radio for information as the 'Drive By Media', as Rush refers to them, is turning more and more into a propaganda arm of the Obama White House. These are exactly the people that are going to be receptive to the message of AS.

I have made contact with WSKY 97.3 FM radio to get information on advertising rates. This station carries Rush Limbaugh, Neil Boortz and Mike Savage, and has nation wide coverage through their affiliate stations (1000+). This is what I received as a reply:

Douglas,

Thanks for expressing your interest in WSKY advertising.  I will need to know how much money you will have to work with.  At that point, I can put together a schedule with 501C3 special rates to fit your budget. If you have a special event to promote, three strong days ($6-800) will pack the place.  If you are looking at a branding campaign, continual advertising, you will need an average of $600-1,000 a month on a consistent basis.  As a non-profit, you receive 1 spot at $5 to air from 6am to 12m M-S  for each 3 spots in prime at $55-80 depending on spot length.

IMHO, AS needs to pony up and allocate funds for at least a minimal advertising campaign if we ever hope the full both the Myakka and Hernando events. I honestly don't see us getting the numbers we need otherwise.

Douglas

caseyblane

I like listening to Bill Bennett's Morning in America on 1320 AM in Jacksonville. He's a former history professor and is usually generous in free promo to "Save America" type groups. I'm sending him an invitation to AS. I'm also working on getting listed in the free community events sections of the local papers and websites. We'll see how it goes.

In case anybody else is working in Jacksonville: Today, I put flyers on the counters and posted flyers at:
*Green Acres Sporting Goods
*Wild West Guns and Gold
*Army/Navy Surplus on San Juan Ave.
*Law Enforcement Gun and Tactical store on San Juan
*Southern Museum of History
*Curry Thomas Hardware and Guns
*Avondale Mail Center

Wild West Guns and Gold offered to put a link to the Appleseed website on their store site in exchange for the same. I told the owner I wasn't sure if that could happen or not, but we'd still appreciate the link. Everyone was receptive. I'll hit some more up in the following days.

Has anybody ever made contact with Cliff Hanger that puts on a lot of the FL gun shows? There is a show this weekend in Jacksonville. I can't really be there, but I thought maybe I could put up some flyers on Saturday morning.
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

SamD

Douglas,
If anyone ever wanted to hear Appleseed on the radio it's me., and if I thought we had a prayer of getting a payoff I'd be putting out the cash myself.
After my great radio fiasco, I actually researched it a bit, called my cousin who was a big wig at one of the bigger radio networks and asked him.    Not much about radio he doesn't know and he's made a fortune for every station he owned.   He pretty much told me to forget it.
"Radio advertising is a market grower but not a market maker, it keeps your product on peoples mind but can't get it there in the first place". 
What will work for us is to be on as a guest, on a forum that will let us explain what we are about and how it's good for America.   

There are several kinds of radio shows.
The one everyone thinks about is Limbaugh, that's because he is big and successful.   Limbaugh doesn't  do interviews, he does commentary and comedy,
There are the Michael Savage type.  Take very short interviews that support his position of the day.  You might get on but don't expect any predictable treatment, he is liable to be bothered by hemorrhoids that day and you 'll end badly.
Last are the Larry Kings. They are all interview, you just have to match his interests.
The rest are just variations on the theme.

The way will be to get a host that does our kind of show to come to a shoot and let him sell it.
Mass email attacks are not going to be the way to make this one happen.
I think that plenty of publicity for our regular shoots, drawing 50-60 shooter crowds and minor notables from the community will draw the attention we need to make this work.

Sam

douglas34474

SamD

Spoke with Fred today. He voiced about the same experience as your friend.

This lady I am speaking with is promoting the gun shows for Cliff Hangers, the ones that caseyblane mentioned. We are talking about meeting with them this weekend at the Chrystal River, Fl gun show, so if nothing else I may be able to swing a free table for AS. 8)

Some of us are working on other promo ideas here in Florida as a test to try and see what works.

We will keep all posted.

SamD

Go for it Douglas.
Gun shows seem to be a pretty good draw for us and can be for you too.
Specially if you get someone working the table that has a nice smile.

Local radio is a good bet too if they still do it.
All of our stations are syndicated shows now so no local radio.
Invite some TV guys(or gals) too you just never know.

Don't ever give up. be on 'em like flies on dog .....O0