News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN -- July 25-26 -- 2009

Started by dond, July 29, 2009, 04:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Friedenmeister came to Puryear, TN, for the first time and did a great job of instructing. There were two other activities at the club on Saturday and we were relegated to a range where we couldn't use a cover from the sun. But it didn't seem to affect the shooters. Twelve showed up, including one who made the trip with his dad from Palm Beach, Florida! I told him that there were Appleseeds in Florida, but he replied that he couldn't wait. We were extremely pleased to have him, and he shot well. The shooters did very well from the beginning. After all, we were in Tennessee. We only managed to get in one QDAQT Saturday, and one Rifleman was crowned.

All 12 reappeared Sunday, as well as a new walk-on. This was very gratifying, as well as unusual. We were able to use a range this day which did offer some protection from the sun. The shooters improved considerably. Five more Riflemen were produced! Six Riflemen out of 13 shooters pleased everyone. But more than that, one was anxious to become an IIT right away, and did an exceptional job of calling the line that afternoon. In addition to that, another one expressed a desire to become an IIT in the near future. Both of these shooters were local to the area and will make good representatives for Appleseed. Of the ones who didn't make a Rifleman score, there were a couple of 207s and a heartbreaking 209. But these will be cured soon. And some are looking for additional ranges for Appleseed.

The shooter who earned the Rifleman patch on Saturday, and who also shot Rifleman scores all day Sunday was Appleseed's own 74 year old Twoglock, who is plagued with severe arthritis. All the other shooters were in awe of him.

The county's first responders furnished a fine lunch both days. The desert on Saturday was peach cobbler and ice cream. Sunday's menu featured ice cream and brownies. These delicacies alone should be enough incentive for the shooters to return.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

ghost

This was my first time at Puryear and also to meet Friedenmiester.  Puryear is a great place for an Appleseed and everything went as smooth as clockwork.

dond was as professional as always and Mrs dond was her usual efficient self.  They make an Appleseed event look easy!  Friedenmiester did an excellent job and was a great help to all the shooters.  It was a pleasure to meet him.

I lined up on the range next to two fellows that could really shoot.  As far as I'm concerned they really are two "dangerous 'older' men"!  If we have to choose sides I hope I'm with Gene and Jerry.  Come to think of it, I hope I'm on the same side as all the shooters this weekend.....good safe shooters. But even better than that, fine people to be around! That's one of the great things about Appleseed, being around "like-minded" people.

All in all a great time and by the way, the food was good too!

Oh yeah, dond you better keep a close eye on that new rifle! Sweet!!
"Be not deaf to the sound that warns!
Be not gull'd by a despot's plea!
Are figs of thistles or grapes of thorns?
How should a despot set men free?
Form! form! Riflemen form!
Ready, be ready to meet the storm!
Riflemen, riflemen, riflemen form!" - Afred Tennyson, "The War"

Dixie Dennis

I thought I'd post re: our first Appleseed. I brought my 18 year old son and truely enjoyed the event. What a great way to spend a weekend with my son. Learned much! (Like how much work my shooting needs!) Don and Friedenmiester were the shoot bosses. They did a great job! I really enjoyed the "History breaks."  Thanks to the friendly folks at the Henry County Gun Club. Nice place. Nice folks. Also, Thanks to the First Response ladies for the fine lunches.
Some notes for other new shooters. Leave the centerfires at home (at least on sat.) That .308 liked to whup my ___ after 2 days of shooting! Besides the cost of the ammo. I felt beat up, but in a really good way! My gun thanked me for using it like a rifle!
I was proud of my son. He shot a 201 Sunday afternoon using a Mini 14 with open sights.

We will be back, with our LTR's this time. Then out comes the PTR91, because that gun ain't gonna whip me.
We will also be bringing some others with us.
Don and Sean, I'd like to personally thank you. Mrs. Don, too! Class act all the way around.
Good Luck and may God bless you all.
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure, when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" — Thomas Jefferson

Spitfire

This was my first Appleseed and I can say it was everything I expected and more.  For me, it was worth the drive up from Palm Beach County, Florida even if I didn't have other business to attend to in the beautiful state of Tennessee.  Graceland was pretty neat!  DonD, Mrs. DonD and Friedenmiester ran everything well and are very pleasant people.  Friedenmiester even had to drive six hours back to Atlanta for an exam on Monday.  All the other shooters were nice people too, really a great bunch of guys ranging in age from their late teens to their 70's!  (dangerous old men, haha)  I'd like to congratulate again those that made rifleman (6 of 13!) and thank Steve who lent me his rifle with which I barely missed making rifleman.  =(  Steve and DonD also helped me adjust my rifle a little bit, which I didn't notice it needed.  (It seemed fine the previous weekend while breaking it in.) 
Thanks to the Henry County first responders for providing lunch services, it really saved us the trouble of bringing food and dessert was really good to boot.