News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sept 15 - this weekend! - US Army WW2 Sniper School!

Started by Fred, September 10, 2007, 10:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

The ONLY place in the country you can attend a genuine US Army WW2 Sniper School.

Until we started the tradition of the "September RWVA US Army WW2 Sniper School", there had not been one held since World War Two (1945, for you history-challenged buffs ;D)

Because it's about rifle marksmanship, and RWVA is about rifle marksmanship, there's no better event (unless it's the Korean War US Army Sniper School, coming up in Dec - pray for cold, sleet, freezing rain! ;D) to kill two birds with one stone: learning marksmanship, while having a fine time doing it.

So, saddle up this weekend, and don't miss a unique event. If you do, you'll have to wait a year for the next one!

Details at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=827.msg8400;topicseen#msg8400

Remember how lucky you are to be close enough to come. There's not another of these, anywhere in the country.

Only at RWVA.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

JohnnyReb

I'm coming! And I volunteer to bring the weed whacker and some spray paint, maybe we'll actually be able to see the targets!  ;D
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Old Dog

You got it all wrong JohnnyReb.  No body will run a weed wacker in front of a bad guy so you can see him better.  Your round has got to be the weed wacker if you can't put it between the weeds.  Targets that are a little hard to see just adds to the feeling of satisfaction when you knock'em down.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Nickle

In the real world, the targets are going to be very hard to see. They will hide, they will move and they may even shoot back.

This past Summer Camp, my Company Commander was making consistent (about 50% of the time) hits on a torso target at over 1100 yards out, with an issue M16A2 and M855 Ball ammo. He couldn't see the target, but his spotter had bino's, and called for him.

When you get hits under these conditions, you know you've accomplished something.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Francis Marion

Nickle

Quote from: Francis Marion on September 12, 2007, 04:54:44 PM
What was he shooting?

I edited it. M16A2 and M855 Ball ammo. Nothing special. Of course, my CO is an "ex-Marine" Infantryman.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Muddogg

Quote from: Nickle on September 12, 2007, 04:56:43 PM
Quote from: Francis Marion on September 12, 2007, 04:54:44 PM
What was he shooting?

I edited it. M16A2 and M855 Ball ammo. Nothing special. Of course, my CO is an "ex-Marine" Infantryman.

You know, they hate it when you call them that! ;D

I'd love to come down and give it a whirl with my 1903, but I've no money for the trip or the course. I even have a friend who is getting married this weekend and I can't come down. I hate being so far away from home, but in another 5 months I'll have what I need and I can really start participating, provided I can get a job.
-The Muddogg

wildman

Most of the folks shooting will be using standard as issued rifles.. no scopes. The targets will be fair but not easy...head shots at 400 yards don't come easy grass or no grass. Bring your weed eater anyway Reb we'll put you to work.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

AR-180

As always, this sounds fun, and I am looking forward to it. 

JohnnyReb

To M1A4ME and Nickle,

I understand what your saying, but this event is billed as the WW2 sniper training course of fire. I actually find it frustraiting when I can't see the target. Hey, maybe we could shoot the AQT on blank paper too!
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Nickle

Actually, Target Detection is part of being a Rifleman (and a Sniper).

The event I mentioned about my Commander wasn't a Sniper thing, or even a Designated Marksman thing. It's a common soldier thing for my Brigade (I'm in a Mountain Infantry Brigade Combat Team). I'm in a support unit that supports the Field Artillery Battalion. Just a simple "Rock Ape".

wildman

Your right Reb but there are things you can do to make it a little easier.

Targets are never set intentionally so you can't see'em. The sun angle is a major problem it changes and makes shadows that move through out the day. Hint: Bring binos you may find it possible to hold off something you can see and still score a hit. Your position on the line makes a big difference if you can't see a target from where you are move. The problem use to be a lot worse before we started puttin' a "t" on the targets to help with contrast.

We try, but don't always succeed, to make them challenging... if they are too easy the fun is gone. Keep coming, keep trying, learn to make every as perfectly as you can. You will suprised at how good you can become. I am probably a few years older than you and my eye sight ain't what it use to be but I can still hit'em every now and then even the ones I "can't see."

No one hits then all.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

AR-180

This was a great shoot.  Thanks for a very fun course of fire. 

Fred

Does that post mean we'll see an addition to your signature line, like "Qualified WW2 US Army Sniper"?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Fred

PS: There should have been a 'smiley' attached to that last post. ;D

Muddogg

If I was back home I would have been hard pressed to decide which even to go to, Hinesville or this one. Both seem like opportunities you wouldn't want to miss for anything!
-The Muddogg

wildman

The Sniper School held yesterday was a "blast" pun intended. Sometimes I gripe cause more shooters don't show up but I am coming around when there aren't so many I can relax a little. Its a lot of work to put on a pop up event not a gripe its just the truth.

Saturday we had plenty of time to get really good zeros at 200, 300, and 400 yds. before lunch. If you are not familiar with the Sniper event it consists of three exercises at 200, 300, and 400 yds with a pair of targets at each. One of the pair is a full size silhouette the other a half size. Shooters can shoot as many as 4 shots at each pair with 4 points earned for each round not used. The large target is worth 2 points and the small target 3 points. In the first exercise the shooter engages each pair as they appear with no time limit. In the second a time limit of one minute for each pair is added. The third exercise is small targets only with a time limit of 30 seconds per.

KM shot qualifying score of 106 AR 180 and myself came close but no cigar. TR brought his son-in-law who had no previous marksmanship training and gave an excellent account of himself with an M1.

The next Home Range Event is the UN Shoot October 20th. 

Scout

I was at the Ramseur RBC and it was great to watch you shooting your 1903 bolt at high speed on the Redcoat targets. Absolutely beautiful rifle. Also, it looked like you had just climbed out of a trench on the western front. ;D

It was good to meet you there. :)

Scout

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

wildman

Yeah scout my wife tells me I ought to bath and shave more often or was that a reference to my age!  ;D ;) :o

Muddogg

Quote from: wildman on September 17, 2007, 06:42:46 PM
Yeah scout my wife tells me I ought to bath and shave more often or was that a reference to my age!  ;D ;) :o

Where'd you get that gear anyway Wildman? I don't think I've seen any surplus store sell half the gear you had.
-The Muddogg

wildman

Your right Muddog you won't find ww2 web gear in a regular surplus store. There are several sources for that of equipment if your interested. First is Ebay and if you don't like one there are several internet vendors "At the Front," "What Price Glory," and "WW2 Impressions". AFE Supply is a good source WW1 uniforms and gear.

Old Dog

Here's another one.    http://www.bayonetinc.com/us_field_gear.htm

I'd also walk the gunshows.  Lot's of folks selling surplus clothing and gear at gunshows but you might nit find a good price.  Some folks are real proud of the stuff they've got.  I've bought a WW12 canteen, cup and canvas cover at a gunshow at a very reasonable price (at the time).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Muddogg

Thanks fellas, I'll keep that in mind when I get some money! I think I'd get a web belt and a bayonet first. I think I've seen some replicas for sale in SGN, and for everything else I can try those places.
-The Muddogg

JohnCBobcat

For repro ww2 web gear, At The Front and WW2 Impressions are best. Guys in my ww2 unit have had WPG and Bayonet gear fall apart on them after not-very-long using it...as in, grommets gone after a couple months of using it maybe every 3rd weekend.

Generally ATF and WW2Imp are best, WPG is okay, Bayonetinc, well, I'd have to check on their rep.
2nd Squad, 1st Plt., E Co., 2/39 INF, 9th ID (reenacted), California Historical Group

AAAO!

wildman

We have drifted away from the WW2 Sniper School. I there is more interest in period military equipment or reenacting lets move the discussion to General Discussion.