News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lodi July 25 and 26 2009

Started by dragonfly, July 25, 2009, 02:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonfly

Here's where it's at. See you all there.

dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

colycat

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Old Glory!

Gorgeous day in WI.  Thanks to the 24 shooters that came out, and the instructors who commuted in.

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

dragonfly

Here are some pictures; Dean getting his Riflemen patch who rode on his Harley from Indiana to attend an Appleseed in WI.

Trisha with some good 1st strike

More pictures to come

dragonfly

K.I.S.S.

colycat

Well,  another successful Appleseed at the world class Winnequah Gun Club.  Perfect weather, 25 shooters, nearly  14 thousand rounds down range and only 2 staple wounds.  Almost all new AS'ers [22] who will never be the same,  Hearts and Minds, changed forever.  A better group of people will not be found anywhere.  All returned for the second day. 

Three new riflemen.
Two new IIT's;  Jeff from Illinois, and Dean from Indiana.
and 22 who NOW know what they are about.

Wisconsin is truly blessed with its instructors,  who worked and worked until the last shot was fired.  What a difference a year in Appleseed makes!!!!

Thank you to all who attended.  It was truly an honor for me to help instruct.

Colycat, SB
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

dragonfly

What a great weekend of Appleseed.

Thanks to all the Appleseed'ers who brought a positive and willingness to learn. It was a pleasure and I hope to see you all on the Appleseed trail again soon.

Congratulations to the 3 new Rifleman and 2 new Orange hats for stepping up.

Here are some more picture's.

More pics to come

K.I.S.S.

dragonfly

The firing line

OG and some history

Jeff who is no longer a son of a Rifleman he is a man who know's what he is about, a Rifleman.

Congrat's to Scott and getting his Rifleman's patch.

K.I.S.S.

dragonfly

Some more picture's

K.I.S.S.

Libby T

I had a great time at the shoot in Lodi this past weekend.  Thank you to all the instructors and fellow Appleseeders.  I really thought I would achieve my Rifleman patch at this shoot since I have been 196-203 range a few times.  One lesson to be learned...don't fuss with the rifle,  fuss more with the tools you are given.  I shot 196 once on the first day and once on the second day only to score lower after changing my scope and having to then use Coly Cat's rifle.  I was really getting frustrated, which also helped me to achieve lower scores.  I will be putting my rifle back together and after some dry fireing practice I should be able to aquire the elusive patch.  The real reason I keep coming to Appleseed Events is the people, the marksmanship training is just a bonus.  It gives me hope to be around people who remember what this country is all about and live it in their everyday lives.  To listen to American Revolution History told with such compassion by the Instructors really makes me humble and proud.  I have been concerned about the apathy of my fellow citizens who always say "yea,  I am concerned or mad, but what can I do?"
I say "stand for something or fall for everything."  Maybe we are all just one person, but together we can be a revolution.

Libby T
Do one thing every day that scares you. "Eleanor Roosevelt"

Trisha

Another great AS in Lodi!! I enjoyed working with all of the instructors and I hope we will get the chance to do it again really soon.

Every AS I have been to has been a little different, but there is one thing that stays the same and that is the determination you shooters have to become a better shooter. I do hope you will all stick with it and I get a chance to see you again at another Appleseed. I enjoyed meeting all of you and thank you for letting me work with you. Don't forget Squeeeeeze the trigger and follow through...unless you want to carry my purple pen!  ;D

Congratulations to the three new Riflemen, welcome. Also congrats to the two new Orange Hats.

Libby T I hope to see you again, maybe at Bristol. I would love to be there when you get your Rifleman patch because I know how hard you have been working, so keep it up!

Ahshucks

What a couple of beautiful days we had at my first Appleseed event!  We didn't have a lot of time to meet and chat with our line because we were either busy prepping magazines, adjusting rifles, shooting, or listening to the many demonstrations of world class shooting skills and Revolutionary History.  My rifle kept jamming and I developed somewhat of a Battle fatigue especially when all the 30 calibers came out, so I wasn't able to qualify for the Rifleman patch.  But I believe it is attainable and working the skills before the next event will get me there.

I did walk away with tips on form and target acquisition though my first ever attempt at prone and sitting positions.  Occassionally my NPOA was successful at some good scores and I developed some confidence in it.  Now to find that comfortable sling tension and stable hold to keep my rifle from wiggling side to side.

Did leave a drop or two of blood at the battle line.  Was one of the stapler casualties.    ;D  All the instructors were extremely helpful and kept an eye on all of us for anything they could help us improve upon.  As an experienced hunter and a bench shooter I learned a lot, now I just have to automate the process without thinking about it.

Thank you Appleseed!

David

AFTERMATH

Somebody always seems to staple themselves at Lodi...
Perhaps, you should add a special note in the safety briefing. ;)

Great job WI! O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

dragonfly

Yes Ahshucks, practice, practice, practice, dryfire , dryfire, dryfire.

Hope to see you all at another Appleseed soon.

dragonfly

K.I.S.S.

Deacon

This was my second Appleseed as an instructor and both times I have been humbled by the great shooters that were there! 

Everyone that I worked with came with a great attitude to match the great weather we had.

I was inspired by Dean's great shooting on the far side of the line.  I learned a lot from him.  He also drove his Harley all the way from Fort Wayne, Indiana to meet his brother who also did a great job.  Thanks Dean and I hope to see you in Illinois next year.
Also, Rick...you are on the way...dry fire, dry fire and we will see you soon...maybe at Hubertus or Bristol??

Thanks to all the other instructors for you wise feedback and help!
Looking forward to Bristol, WI!
-Deacon

Ahshucks

You all may want to watch this 1942 film on Rifle Markmanship, was my first introduction to 4-position shooting.  A few good tips in it that I didn't hear at the Lodi shoot, but I'm sure most are aware of them.
Take a look

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

Deacon

I love those old training videos.  It really "takes you back there".
Thanks Ahshucks!
-Deacon

Ahshucks

Dragonfly ... checked with my gunsmith about dry firing my Ruger 10/22 and he strongly recommended against it.  It is only Ruger on the outside.  I do belong to Stoughton Conservation Club and will be doing actual fire for practice frequently.  It really isn't the trigger pull that was as much of a problem as the side to side movement and the canting of the rifle.  After reviewing the WWII instruction film posted above, I found that I wasn't adjusting my 1907 sling properly.  Proper adjustment should cure the fighting with the cant by dropping the lower clip down to the stock.

colycat

Thousands upon thousands of shooters dry firing 10-22,s prove your gun smith wrong.  Dry fire and practice &)

Robbvious

Quote from: Deacon on July 30, 2009, 09:47:33 PM
I love those old training videos.  It really "takes you back there".
Thanks Ahshucks!
-Deacon

I burned those onto some DVD's and handed them out to my buddies.  They definately have the best description of IMC anywhere.
...in the event of Great Britain attempting to force unjust laws upon us by the strength of arms, our cause we leave to Heaven and our rifles. - Hanover Association, Lancaster County, PA 1774

dragonfly

Unless you have a match chamber you will not hurt your Ruger 10/22 dry firing. All the ammo you will save and good practice. I have 4 loaner LTR 10/22's thousands of dry firing no problem's, even if you wear part's out, it's cheap to fix.

dragonfly

K.I.S.S.

sjmuller

A big thanks to Colycat and ALL the instructors for a great weekend! I was surprised how much we learned in the short time we had, well worth the drive up from Chicago! This was my dad's and my first Appleseed (and really our first formal rifle instruction) and I have a feeling we'll be back. Unfortunately, there aren't many ranges in the area so I have a feeling I have a lot of dry firing practice in my future :-P. Thanks everyone for a great experience and I hope to see you all again!

-Scott

Old Glory!

Canis/Scott/the Rifleman, right?!
Welcome to the forum.   Appleseed will be back at Lodi in gorgeous October, and  in BRISTOL, WI this weekend, August 15-16.  Lots of IL shooters coming to Bristol this weekend, but there is still room for you!   

If you are so inclined, after your second Appleseed and Rifleman score, you may want to seriously consider wearing the orange hat and becoming an Instructor.   If orange doesn't suite you, there are plenty of other things you can do to help out at Appleseed.

The forum is revamping, so if you have any questions just send them to WI@appleseedinfo.org or IL@appleseedinfo.org, since you live there.  We share with IL. ;)

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

EEL

Scott,
My durn computer must be on the fritz.....Thought I read that "WI shares with Illinois".  Now, don't be mislead.  It is only by the good nature of us flatlanders that Wisconsin even continues to exist as a State........That and having to re-configure the American flag  >:D

Seriously, OG is correct!   O0  A better working relationship doesn't exist.  Proud to be associated with those folks.  Besides the 2 shoots OG mentioned, We (actually they) have 1 other shoot upcomming in Racine also.  It will be the 29 & 30th of this month.  Beautiful range, camping, and the chance to go out to 600, so bring your centerfire.

Welcome aboard and hope to see you out at one or more of the mentioned shoots.

EEL

P.S. Might give the thought of "wearing orange" some serious consideration also.  Our country can use all the help we can get!   :'(
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Deacon

Welcome Scott!
It was a pleasure working with you and your father. 
It must be pretty special being able to spend a quality weekend with him side by side putting tiny holes in paper.  I'm sure you guys were very supportive of each other hoping the other does well...... or did you make sure that your brass fell on his head each time so you would beat him to 210? O0
I hope to see you soon,  beside the shoot in Bristol and Racine, there is another comimg up in Chillicothe, IL over the Labor Day weekend!
Thanks again,
-Deacon

EEL

Sheesh!!!

Deacon is on top of it again! !   Why didn't I think of these shoots   #)  The Chille shoot is also the same weekend as Ottawa.  Both are 3 day shoots.

Scott, now you have at least half dozen shoots ALL within easy driving distance within a month or so.  Can't make up your mind ?????  Do 'em all  ;D   ;D   >:D   >:D

EEL

P.S.  Do you know about the Rifleman Boot Camp 8 short hours away in Osage MO.???  Oct. 18-23.  A full week of shooting (including 400 yrds), history, instruction, and an opportunity to help instruct at the Appleseed that follows.  Illinois will be well represented.  Love to have you along.
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Old Glory!

C-mon all yous IL guys; it's Thursday night and it's time to pack up your vehicles and head nort.  You know your gonna do it.  You ALL do it.  We're used to it......hey, we even LIKE it when you come up here, especially when your Appleseed'n.

Osage in October, Oh my!  That will be one good Boot Camp.

sjmuller

Lol, thanks for the welcome and the multitude of invitations! ;D Unfortunately for me I actually work every Saturday/Sunday :'(, and taking off any weekend is a pretty big hassle requiring a significant bribe and one of my coworkers willing to cover for me (the Lodi shoot cost me a box of Dunkin Donuts ;)). I plan to make it to another shoot eventually, just not sure how soon it will be doable.  Would definitely like to try some true long range shooting as well, I've never had the opportunity to shoot past 50 yds and I know I'm missing all the fun stuff like compensating for elevation and windage.

Deacon, thanks again for all your help and for lending me your sling! It was great shooting with my dad though it was actually ME getting hit by HIS brass all day Saturday $$-0 (he and I switched firing line positions on Sunday).

-Canis (I figure I best start using this handle now)

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I actually grew up in Madison :o, only been in Chicago for 2 years!