News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

funfaler gets a speaking gig at a very large church in Louisville

Started by funfaler, June 17, 2009, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funfaler

Hey All,

I have been invited to speak about early American History, aka, April 19th, at a 4th of July morning gathering at the Southeast Christian Church.  I have no idea how many people will be in attendance, but the church is the 6th largest in the nation, so there is some potential here.

I will be taking SWAT/Dillion articles and flyers, as well as making myself available for questions after the event. 

My role is to be one of several speakers, and I have been promised 30 minutes, "with a bit more if it is interesting"....So, looks like just 30 minutes  ;D

Also, I have spoken about by desire to press the concept of "ownership of America" being in the hands of "We the People", the leader of this program has OKed this, so it will be a whirl wind tour of "The Story", with a short "benediction" at the end, with an invite to personally answer questions after the event.

I could use some help, especially if attendance gets large, and I am not sure if there will be any way to know ahead of time.

Might also be a opportunity to introduce some folks to American Heritage, in a smaller bite size.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

kentuckyjam

Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

techres

Many larger churches record their services and events.  If possible, get us a copy of the talk please.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

The Machine

Congrats and good luck!  O0
Now I know why Fred refers to you as "brother funfaler"... @)
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

funfaler

Quote from: techres on June 17, 2009, 09:49:45 PM
Many larger churches record their services and events.  If possible, get us a copy of the talk please.

Very good idea, will do

Grandson of Liberty

Quote from: funfaler on June 17, 2009, 09:38:45 PM
....So, looks like just 30 minutes  ;D

Holding Funfaler to 30 minutes?  **)

They should take on something a little easier first, like telling the sun not to come up tomorrow.  ::)  (Maybe we should take up a collection for some gift baskets for the speakers that don't get a chance to present.)  @)

But seriously, though- go get 'em FF! Can't wait to hear the AAR! O0
"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

slim

Mark D

Can you post the website if you have it?  I want to find their website so I can listen online.

Mark D

Quote from: Brother Mark on June 18, 2009, 09:13:22 AM
Can you post the website if you have it?  I want to find their website so I can listen online.

I decided to do my own darn work rather than ask Funfaler to do it for me.  That's the Rifleman's way!

This, I believe, is the link to the correct church...

http://www.southeastchristian.org/

Now, per their site, sermon's are podcast here:

http://www.southeastchristian.org/sermons/?id=10780

...and you can listen to a live radio broadcast here:

http://www.whas.com/main.html

However, I can't tell if they broadcast only the sermons or both sermons and guest speakers.  In any event, for those who are interested this should get you started.

Brother

BMH

That is the correct website for Six Flags over Jesus as we like to call the place.

Hard to say how many show up for Saturday services, but it will hold several thousand comfortably if you're in the main chapel.

funfaler

Before we get too excited, I ain't in the "big top", but a side class. 

The class is a standard Adult Bible Fellowship class (ABF), or a typical Bible study class.  Membership in this class is about 250.  They have, however, asked for a larger room than they normally have, for this special 4th of July class/event.  There should be room for several hundred, if I understand the class/room correctly.

They should record the day's events and make them available on their class site http://bridgesabf.com/  I will have to confirm this.

We will see where it leads, but for those that can make it, it would be good to have some fellow Appleseeders there. 

Mark D

Quote from: funfaler on June 18, 2009, 11:23:53 AM
Before we get too excited, I ain't in the "big top", but a side class. 

...we can still be excited.  ;D

Thanks for the link and good luck.

MeanStreaker

My sister-in-law works at Southeast.  I'll be sure to contact her to see if she can help promote amongst her co-workers and friends!
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

funfaler

Quote from: MeanStreaker on June 21, 2009, 09:10:59 PM
My sister-in-law works at Southeast.  I'll be sure to contact her to see if she can help promote amongst her co-workers and friends!

That would be fabulous!

Room 206 at 10:00 am  Saturday, July 4th. 

If she can get some folks that work on the Men's Ministry or the "Wild Game Feed" program to show up that would give me an "audition" for an opportunity to get Appleseed involved with that program. 

You and Starbuck are welcome to join us too.  Room at Casa de funfaler if need be and I hope to parlay this into an impromptu KY Appleseed meeting.  OH folks are welcome, but no sharing of secrets  :P

MeanStreaker

Cool, I told the wife about it when I read this thread a few mins ago and am trying to see if that will work.  We are getting the family together for the holiday as usual (where some that .... ummmm.... haven't seen the light yet.....  roll their eyes when I have us all read the Declaration of Independence before the pre-meal prayer) :)  , but I think it's on July 3rd, so it may work out.

Let me get back with you and I'll follow up offline.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

funfaler

Well, this went off without any hitches.

There were about 65-70 folks there, with be having at them for @35-40 minutes.

The interest in Appleseed was expressed by many and I suspect that this will directly translate to 6-10 extra participants in the up coming KY Appleseeds. 

The very raw, basic Three Strikes can be done in less than 30 minutes, and a benediction in about 5-10.  I believe it is a good "teaser" of history/Heritage that may entice folks to see Appleseed in the light of a Heritage program, and they get pleasantly surprised to find out that there is a rifle marksmanship course that goes with it too  ;)

I believe it was recored, at least we tried.  I will find out if it took, if so, I will try to get it posted somewhere.

Now my hope is that the word gets around this church and I get an opportunity to work Appleseed into some of their other functions  O0

Part of what Appleseed, especially the Instructors, have to offer a community is that Heritage education.  Being able to tell "the story", to work in the Foundational History of our nation, in a way that brings it alive and to our modern day.  This is what we can offer those other people and organizations in our communities.  Where else can different groups get Heritage talks? 

We have a valuable commodity folks, let's exploit it to further the program.  You will be shocked how easy it is and you will be surprised how folks will approach you with questions and desire to learn more........and that is what we are here for to begin with  ;) :)

Old Glory!

Congratulations!  65-70; that's a good size (indoor ;)) Appleseed!  The 6-10 who will attend a future Appleseed will already be engaged with American Heritage.  Keep us posted if you get any feedback, and post a link when your talk goes public. 8) 

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion