News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed for Disabled Vets

Started by douglas34474, June 17, 2009, 12:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas34474

I was speaking to my local State Representative, Charles VanZant todat to invite him to the August 29, 30, 2009 event at the Bradford Sportsman Farm. He expressed great interest in attending.

During our conversation he mentioned an event he hosted at our local Disabled Vet's home. Had a Bluegrass band and Bar-B-Q, etc. After telling him what Appleseed was all about, he asked if there was something that could be done to have an event for the Vets.

I know we would have to provide loaner rifles. I'll donate what I have to the cause.

This man is a strong 2nd supporter. He also works with the Game & Fish Comm for sportsman's issues and can help us find a spot to have such an event. This would give us some great exposure to Appleseed.

What do you say? Is this something we can work on?

funfaler

There is an organization that already does 'shoots' for disabled vets.  I can not recall their name.

This may be an opportunity to partner with an organization that is already doing what you speak of.  They seemingly already have a system/program set up to offer this very sort of activity, but I would imagine that they do not interject Heritage.  This is were we can help.

With 200 events planned for April 17-18, 2010, nearly 800 events for all of 2010, and the grand pile of other things that need to be done to ensure we can achieve these goals, I will confidently say that if you wish to try to start such a program from scratch, there will be little support from the Appleseed program.  Not because it is a bad idea (actually a grand idea), but because there are not enough people or resources within the program to help.

Let me suggest that you seek out this other organization, introduce our program to them, and offer our services as "American Heritage" presenters at their events.  This is what Appleseed has to offer.

This is all a long ways of saying "There is currently not a program within Appleseed, that you have asked for, and there are no plans to take this additional mission on."....But presumably Rep. VanZant sees a value in an Appleseed type program for Disabled Vets (and I do too), there are others that do too. 

So, let's find those folks and offer our services to help them do what they do, but with an Appleseed flavor. 

Remember, Appleseed is an American Heritage program with a very nice rifle marksmanship program.  If there are other organizations that have their own ".....with a very nice (fill in the blank) program", then let's try to weave a our American Heritage program into their program.

I believe that our Vets not only deserve to hear the message we teach at Appleseeds, that being the Founder's message, they would greatly appreciate it.

This other organization that has these shooting events for the Disabled Vets, they should be excited to be able to hitch their wagon to the fastest growing American Heritage and rifle marksmanship program in the nation (world?), and we can introduce them to a good many ranges/venues that may be more open to their efforts, based on our positive relationship with these clubs/ranges. 

FYI, you have just taken a GIANT BITE......that is the easy part, chewing this up is going to be a chore.  Let me know if you need more info from this end  O0

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Scout

Funfaler is exactly right, get the orgs that are already geared up for what you are asking about to do it and then get them to partner with us in this. I am excited for you and will follow this to see how it works out.

We should be following this example in all the orgs we encounter. If you look at the "how to promote appleseed" threeads, you will see advice on many other orgs also. A lot of orgs have programs in place and are just waiting to be contacted by Appleseed in order to partner with us in an Appleseed Event.

Look at all the MCDonalds/KFC/Taco bell partnerships, we can work the same way with already existing orgs rather than trying to reinvent the wheel for each org. Good luck with this and let us know how it is going as you set it up. ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

douglas34474

OK, contacted the Veterans Association, no one knows what I talking about. All they do is benefits.

Contacted the VFW, the people who run the home. Started at the top dog. Again, no one knows of any program to get vets on the range.

BUT...the lady I spoke with told me they just got a LOT of money to make improvements to the home. They had 40 acres to improve. They are looking to get the ROTCA, Young Marines, and other similar groups involved at their site. This was offered by the lady when I said we were looking for ranges as we have to use someones else's facilitates for our events. She said that we may be able to get some of that money to make a range.

I read that we are looking for permanent ranges to use. This may be an opportunity to do so in Florida.

It will be next week before the administrator is back from a convention they are having this weekend. I plan on going to see him and see what can be done to that end. 

eaglescouter

A Dedicated Appleseed Range (DAR) at a Vetrans Home sounds like a perfect match :)

Good job douglas!
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

funfaler

QuoteI read that we are looking for permanent ranges to use. This may be an opportunity to do so in Florida.

A very good idea and plan.

Might I suggest that as you wait, you lay some ground work with the ROTC, JROTC and other such groups, perhaps Boy Scouts and 4H.  Bill this as an opportunity to bring the Youth of America together with the Veterans of America. 

I must admit that thought of this gives me goose bumps.....exactly what our youth need.

A 22 rimfire only range would suffice for this purpose, if the facility is concerned about noise or other range related issues.

Some research help for you:
http://skinnymoose.com/help4hunters/index.php/2009/04/03/honored-american-veterans-afield-hava-hosts-shooting-event/
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/veteranvoices/2009/02/17/vets-at-home-on-the-shooting-range/

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/military/2006/08/disabled-vet-shooting-for-more.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/365072/national_wild_turkey_federation_to.html
http://www.shaneclapper.com/2008/12/06/disabled-iraq-veterans-stay-in-the-race/
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6643/is_3_20/ai_n29152783/

More can be found here:  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=disabled+veterans+shooting&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

You're on the right track, let's see where this leads you.  Again, if you need assistance, call out, bet there may be one or two here that may help.  Contact Scout or myself if you can identify specific needs that Appleseed may be able to fill.

Good luck

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Scout

Douglas, great follow up. Do the research and be ready with a nice calm polite presentation when the administrator returns. Anything I can do just let me know.

If you need to call me and discuss any of this, feel free to. I will pm you my phone number,and once again, great job, but, do not stop now, good things come in threes, right? ;) ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

CaptG

Try these folks. Honored American Veterans Afield. www.honoredveterans.org
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

douglas34474

Oh well. It was a good idea.

The land available is not a problem. What is a problem is that there is not enough land down range for a safe area. Also, zoning will not allow a range.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Douglas

PHenry

doug,
Have LTRs, am sb rated, will travel.  O0
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata