News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Checking In - UPDATE- It's ON!

Started by Westcreek, June 16, 2009, 11:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westcreek

Just checking in from south of Custer.

Been emailing back and forth with Whisker about having an AS in this area. I have been to all the local ranges and they are either not interested, not the right set up or want a couple hundred dollars a day to allow it.

So I am currently looking at having one here at the ranch that I manage, the problem is that we are 25 miles from Custer, 21 mile of that is gravel road. Would this be an issue with anyone? Let me know what you think.

Also any ideas on target stands (backers), if this goes, I would like to hold a couple shoots a year and need them to be portable and cheap (since this will be coming out of my own pocket).

I have to clear this with the ranch owner again, to make sure we are on the same page. Looking at having this sept 26-27?

UPDATE- Permission Recieved!!
The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave. Thomas jefferson 1820

funfaler

Welcome aboard and good to hear from you!

Gravel roads a problem?  Can't imagine why.  You folks have some of those out there, so it should not be anything new for those that will be attending.  If it is too rough, we can rename it "Battle Road" for the weekend.

Target backers.

The quick/easy way to make this happen is just plain T-Posts, driven about 10-12 feet apart, two strands of bailing wire strung between them.

First/lowest strand, about 12" off the ground, from post to post, the second strand about 24-30 inches above it, from post to post.  Then just hang cardboard over these two wires.   Cardboard is free at furniture stores, Wal-marts or other stores.  Tell them it is for the children, if you have to.

The posts and wire are reusable, is done correctly.

Get permission for the event (as much notice as possible is best) and get with myself or 'smle' here on the forum (frankly, you contact me, I will hand you off to smle, so you can cut out the middle man, if you wish  ;))

The date you mentioned should be just fine, or any other one that works.

Good luck, hope to hear the good news of SD's first Appleseed soon!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

smle

Westcreek,

PM me with your e-mail address or snail mail address if you prefer and I'll send you a host app.

Welcome aboard
smle
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

Westcreek

As updated in orginal post, It's On!!

I have been emailing back and forth with Whisker  and he sent me the forms.

Thanks for the backer ideas, the only problem with the cardboard is this windy country, but I'll  give some a trial run. Don't like going downrange to reset all the time. Looking at just having a 25 meter range, by next year I may be able to get a full course set up.

smle ,sent you a PM.

Sept 26-27 allright I hope, really the only available weekend we have open.

Hauling hay today, be late tonight before I can respond to anyone.

smle

Westcreek,

Tie the cardboard to the wire top and bottom. That'll help a lot with the wind.

The dates will work real well.

Repy PM sent.

smle

TheCount

Westcreek, That's great news!

As I had indicated to Whisker, I'll do my best to attend.    Basically depends on my job situation.   Right now I'm unemployed, so it's easy to sign up for stuff.   Although I'm definitely enjoying the carefree life , I doubt that I can last into September with out some gainful employment.

Assuming all goes as planned I should be a Red Hat by the time of the SD shoot.   I'll let Nickle know to put me on the schedule once it's listed.

Will camping be available?

MeanStreaker

Also to help with wind, punch a few holes in it so that wind can pass through and the cardboard won't be a complete sail. 

Obviously, the shooters will help with this task as the weekend progresses. :)
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Whisker

Well, the cat is out of the bag!  This Appleseed fills the gap from the Midwest and the real west.  Thanks Westcreek.
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

Westcreek

Count von Count, primitive camping will be available, if you don't like what we have here, we have about 7000 acres of Forest Service ground about an 1/8 mile from where the shoot will be held.

As for someone with a camper, i'm sure we can find a place to park it, no hookups though , sorry.

Thanks to everyone on the target backer ideas. I'm filling out the forms, have to finish in the morning, I'm beat.

AFTERMATH

Alas!  South Dakota has joined the Appleseed Union!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Westcreek

Just got a message from smle, siad he had received the Host app.Everything is looking good.

smle

ITS OFFICAL, ITS ON THE SCHEDULE. O0

Custer is there. Lets get it filled up.

Sept. 26-27, should be really nice up that way then. <:)

Mark D

Quote from: Westcreek on June 16, 2009, 11:19:40 AM
So I am currently looking at having one here at the ranch that I manage, the problem is that we are 25 miles from Custer, 21 mile of that is gravel road. Would this be an issue with anyone? Let me know what you think.

Gravel? :o  You're roads have Gravel?  ??? Those sound like some pretty fancy roads to me.  In NH our back roads don't have gravel...just dirt and mud...and all our roads are uphill; both ways... :D :D :D

Westcreek

Thanks to everyone for helping get this set up. Hope we do AS proud. :)

The only thing I noticed on the info was that it said Custer was an hour away, it is really a good 30 minutes away.

Brother Mark, we have the dirt ones too, these are the "improved roads". ::)

Beulahtrash

I have flyers up in the Spearfish Wal-Mart and in the two gun stores in town. I'm going to try for some Rapid City businesses too.
Just doing what I can with what I got. - Burt Gummer

I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

Beulahtrash

Rapid City Wal-Mart, First Stop Guns, Scheels, And most of the pawnshops that sell guns and ammo as well as Cabela's (had to see if the policy would allow it, unknown) have flyers up for this event. I'll try to get a few more out tomarrow.

Westcreek

Thanks Beulah, I sent flyers up that way, apparently they didn't get posted.  ???

Have been getting alot of calls and handing out registrations, hopefully we pull off  a good one. If we get this first one done and get more out there talking about it, then the next should be really good.

Unfortunately, I found out they rescheduled the Custer park buffalo roundup the same weekend, I no we lost a couple shooters because of that. Their loss all I can say.

colonial shooter

Other than "The Count" who else is the instructor corp? I am unable to attend. So far there are at least 7 pre registrations.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Westcreek

Hey Colonial Shooter, I was just gonna PM you and see if you were the instructor (s).  I haven't heard from anybody and I was getting nervous. :(

Where we hadn't put one of these on before, and I had only been to the last newcastle shoot for one day, wasn't sure of the procedure.

colonial shooter

"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

TheCount

Westcreek,

At this point I'm operating under the assumption that I'll be running the shoot.    I hope that Colonial will attest to your being in good hands with me   :)   Need to polish up my history presentation over the next couple of weeks, but instruction / procedure wise it'll be fine.   Still, we could really use some assistance in getting at least some additional IITs.   Both Beulah and Jared indicated that they are unable to attend.   Whisker still in the area?

I believe that we had 9 pre-regs at Osage last week and ended up with around 16 Saturday.   Hopefully we will get at least that many to Custer.

Regardless, we will adapt and I'm confident it will work out just fine. 

Is there anything I need to prepare for or bring to get the range ready?   We have target backers?    Do we need T-posts, wire or cardboard?

I'm currently planning on getting there Friday afternoon.   Are you going to be around in advance of Saturday?

Andrew -The Count

Westcreek

Count,  I've got t-posts, cardboard, wire and pallets (in case the wind is an issue for backers).

I live here, so I'll be around Friday. :) I just checked the pre regs and we have 9 pregistered, I am expecting some walk ons but I could be wrong, they moved the Buffalo Roundup to the same weekend, so we'll probably lose a few that might have come. (we'll get them next time.)

I'll send you a pm with my phone#.

Beulahtrash

I'm going to be helping out at the Rapid City Gun Show at the Civic Center this weekend 18-20. I'll put out some flyers and try to leave some on the tables.

Westcreek

I'm gonna try to get to the show Sunday, not sure though, we have Friends of NRA Banquet Sat night. So we'll see how it plays out.

Thanks for putting flyers out.

BaldDragn

Quote from: The Count on September 15, 2009, 10:09:20 PM
Westcreek,

At this point I'm operating under the assumption that I'll be running the shoot.    I hope that Colonial will attest to your being in good hands with me   :)   Need to polish up my history presentation over the next couple of weeks, but instruction / procedure wise it'll be fine.   Still, we could really use some assistance in getting at least some additional IITs.   Both Beulah and Jared indicated that they are unable to attend.   Whisker still in the area?

I believe that we had 9 pre-regs at Osage last week and ended up with around 16 Saturday.   Hopefully we will get at least that many to Custer.

Regardless, we will adapt and I'm confident it will work out just fine. 

Is there anything I need to prepare for or bring to get the range ready?   We have target backers?    Do we need T-posts, wire or cardboard?

I'm currently planning on getting there Friday afternoon.   Are you going to be around in advance of Saturday?

Andrew -The Count

I see you are setting up the run this one Count?

Do you have IITs to help you out?

BAldDragn.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

TheCount

Quote from: BaldDragn on September 18, 2009, 02:14:26 AM
Do you have IITs to help you out?
At this point I haven't seen any IITs indicate that they will be attending.   Our host, Westcreek, has indicated that the would be willing to help where needed, especially with safety.

I'll put a post up on the Great Plains & Rocky Mountains Regional boards looking for assistance.

Based on our normal turnouts in the Eastern / Central part of WY I wouldn't expect a large turn out, but this is the first shoot in West River so you never know.

Westcreek

Just checked the pre regs, were up to 12.  :)

TheCount

Quote from: Westcreek on September 22, 2009, 11:44:20 PM
Just checked the pre regs, were up to 12.  :)

yep, and still no additional help... Westcreek, look's like I'm definitely going to have to draft you for some line duties...  O0

Westcreek

I'm reading and retaining as fast as I can!! ::) :D O0

Westcreek

Range is set up and ready, signs are painted and ready to put up, toilets are placed, weather forecast is favorable, press is alerted,  all we need now is shooters. O0

Thanks to everyone for the direction to put this together.  :)