News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Anyone coming on the 27th have a spare .22?

Started by ksuguy, June 16, 2009, 02:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksuguy

My mom helps out with the boy scout troop in my home town and I'll be bringing some of them out on the 27th.   Unfortunately, I think I might be a little short on rifles.   I think one kid has his own rifle to bring.  I've also got three of them I can lend out, but that still leaves me a couple short.    I've tried to get my hands on some more loaners, but it seems like every one I've come across is in poor condition (missing parts, etc.),  or not set up with sling studs.

Does anyone have a spare one they can bring?   It doesn't have to be great,  just needs to be functional with some way to attach a sling.  I can provide the slings and swivels if necessary, as long as it has studs to mount them on.  I'll be providing the ammo as well.  Finally, the boy scout shooting policy requires that they only load one round at a time, so tubular magazines might make that problematic.

eaglescouter

Sign the 14 year and older Scouts up as Venturers, dual registered.  Then they can use magazines, even if they are wearing the Tan uniform :)
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

ksuguy

Good idea, I'll suggest that to my mom since she runs the troop.    That way they will be able to shoot the whole AQT.   If they are shooting single shot, they'd be limited to the slow fire stuff.   

henschman

I am coming as and IIT, and I have two Ruger 10/22 loaners all set up with M1 slings.  One is scoped, one has tech sights.  I have a few spare mags for each.  DAD is running the shoot, and i know he has a couple of extra Remington 597s he loans out... at least he did at the last shoot I was at with him.  There are a lot of IITs signed up for this one, and I think most of them have loaners too... not to speak for anybody or anything, but we are pretty generous with our loaners around here!  Gotta love appleseeders... who else would buy all these rifles and drive for hours just so they can watch other people shoot them for 2 days?  lol
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

ksuguy

That's good.  Like I said, I've got 3 I can lend, but two of them really aren't the best setups for Appleseed.     One is an AR-15 with a .22LR upper on it.   I haven't been able to get it to function reliably,  but it should work ok as a single shot.  Plus the kids think it looks cool. I have a feeling they might be fighting over who gets to use that one.  :)    The other is a 77/22 target model with a big scope on it.  It's really more of a bench rifle.   Might be too big and heavy for the kids.  My scoped 10/22 should work great, I used that one myself back in April.   

I'll probably be shooting an M1A or FAL, since all my .22's will be in use by other people.  Fortunately, I've got a good supply of ammo and can afford to use a little of it. 

ksuguy

Thanks for the loaners you guys provided.   They really worked better than the spare .22's I had.   Wish I could have provided better ones, but none of the kids had their own and I had to go with what I had in my personal collection.  Also big thanks to Matt for keeping a close eye on them. 

I think they had fun, especially towards the end of the day. If we try this again, I think I'm going to wait for a cooler part of the year though.