News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shiocton June 6th and 7th 2009

Started by dragonfly, June 06, 2009, 06:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

Aftermath,  Thanks for the great report.

Is there ANYONE here who still believes in coincidences?  That is just CRAZY!  Guess that is what happens when you put Appleseed into the TomTom.   :D
The inscription on the bell is pretty cool too. 

CONGRATULATIONS JOEZ ON THE RED HAT!  O0  Thank you for your dedication to Appleseed, and for your hospitality. 

Something that has not been mentioned on this AAR yet is the fact that we did not have the opportunity on Sunday afternoon to shoot known distance.  We had a downpour just at noontime, had to eat in our cars or drive to town.  Unfortunately, we couldn't use that time to talk together more.   

I hope that those of you who were hoping for KD are not too disappointed.   

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

bahbec

I was going to try to PM a couple of ya since you've all been so helpful... but if I have a "dumb question", I figure somebody else might be wondering also, so might as well get it in the forum (and yes, I already tried searching around, but couldn't find the answer).

So I'm looking at getting a M1 Garand through the CMP (whilst I still can), but I'm a little confused about the grading. I've been able to figure out the basic grading criteria: Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, etc. But there are "sub grades" within each category, ie

Field Grade - RM1SAF
Field Grade - RM1HRAF

Service Grade - RM1SAS
Service Grade - RM1HRAS

So if anyone explain the grading criteria, it'll be much appreciated; as well as any input on whether the Service Grade would be worth the extra $100 or so.

Much thanks!
Bob

fepowered

Springfield Armory (S) and H&R (HR) are the 2 armorys which produced them as represented by those 2 catalog numbers. :)
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

JoeZ

As I understand it...

Service grade has a muzzle wear of 3 or less. (out of 10, three is ok, one is great and one half is new)
Service grade has a throat erosion of less than 5.( anything under 10 works)
Wood will be decent.

Field grade has a muzzle wear of 3+ to 5+ ( 5 is iffy)
Throat will be 3 to 7.
Wood will be rough looking.

Service grade with Greek surplus(CMP) will shoot 2 moa if your lucky or 4 moa at worst. Field grade will be slightly worse or you may luck out and get a good one. Put a sticky note in with your order requesting a shooter or a looker as you prefer, sometimes they help you out. Either is not bad for a reliable full power self loading rifle with 1000 rnds for $1000.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

bahbec

Woo Hoo!!! I just love it when the light bulbs go off :D

I've learned enough to be familiar with those names... but any insights/opinions on the pros or cons of each?