News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Whos interested in attending an Instructor Boot Camp (IBC) in PA?

Started by 303shooter, June 05, 2009, 11:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

303shooter

Hey there again folks, as its been mentioned, we need to get some more instructors into the program as we are getting busier and are going to need more people helping to train our countrymen and women at upcoming events.

So, im thinkin we should have our first IBC!  All we need is four people to get it set up, and we can do it at one of our new DAR's, either Manheim or Slippery Rock. All we have to do is pick the date and get a Master Instructor (MI) to do the camp and with a few little details were set to go, and more importantly, we can do it before events really get into full swing this late summer and fall.

As of right now, i will attend definitly. So thats 1, we need at least 3 more. So how many of you fellow appleseeders are gonna help us get our state into shape?

We can do it.

This TEAM can do it. 

Let us know if your up for the challenge and the satifaction that comes with being an RWVA instructor! Personally i cant wait to get on the line!  The sooner we get enough people the sooner we can have it!   ;) 

Frontsight

303Shooter - I am interested in an IBC, but I don't think I meet the requirements yet.  I attended the Appleseed in Allemans, PA this past April and shot a couple of rifleman scores - at least a couple, I didn't score all my sheets.  That, however, is the only Appleseed I've attended so far.  I'm in SE PA, so Manheim would be better for me, but I'll sure try to make something work, just have to get to another shoot.  Meanwhile, I've been spreading the word to my shooting buddies.

Frontsight

303shooter

Frontsite, it makes me very happy you have an interest in instructing!  We can make it work, check this out....http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6150.msg56945#msg56945  What this means is a master instructor (MI), Nickle for instance, can make requirement waivers.  In your specific case Frontsite, you have no real problem meeting the requirements.  # 1 you have shown a great interest in the program and now after your first appleseed at Allemans, you have stepped up to help with the PA program. #2 You have already shot a rifleman score.  So that 2nd appleseed requirement, you can get after the IBC. Its really no big deal brother. 

Whats really important, is getting folks that have an interest in instructing to the IBC now, so that when things start heating up later this year and next year, we can get all of us new instructors in training (IITs) to the events and we will gain experience and meet requirements along the way.   

Cowdog

It is my understanding the IBC is more instruction than Range time. If you want to use Slippery Rock for an IBC, You can use space in my Barn or Machine shed as a meeting room. (long as nobody smokes in the barn and leaves the sheep alone)

It is about 800 yards or more from the range to the barn though.     
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

Frontsight

303 Shooter - I'm certainly interested in instructing.  I was very happy to see the Mannheim schedule posted.  I could probably come out there every other month or so.  In fact, I'm tentatively planning on attending the July Appleseed.  I'd really like to dot all the i's and cross all the t's.  I'd also like to score rifleman with my M1A too.  I've never shot rifle in a structured setting before, so I'd like to see it again from the student's side before attempting to teach others.  I plan on downloading some flyers and getting them out to the local gunshops and ranges though and see if I can't recruit some friends and relatives to join me.  Also, I have to to go through Paul Revere's Ride a few more times to really get the story down.

Frontsight 

Frontsight

OK - Signed up for Mannheim for July 18 and 19.  Who's in?

Frontsight

303shooter

Il be at Manheim July 18-19, if we get our IBC rolling, this can be the first appleseed to put our new instructor skills to work. I know theres a lot more folks out there that are interested in instructing, this boot camp is the way to start it off, KDan from New York would be our instructor, and he does a great job at it.

IBCs are few and far between, So folks, lets get in on this oppurtunity to have one in PA and do our part, so we teach all the great men and women on the firing line how to do theirs....Denny

kDan

Yep, I'll be there.  Looking forward to it too.  I'm glad to see Pennsylvania really taking off this year.  This IBC will be one week before the event at Hallstead so maybe we can get some fresh, clean orange hats on the line that week-end.  I believe lprgcfrank will be earning his red hat at Hallstead.  Looks like Fred's gonna have to send me a big box of hats!

I hope a bunch more PA folks sign up. 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Spanner

Quote from: kDan on June 09, 2009, 05:12:15 PM
This IBC will be one week before the event at Hallstead so maybe we can get some fresh, clean orange hats on the line that week-end.

Does this mean that the (tentative?) IBC is July 18-19 @ Manheim? 

I was going to Halstead anyways (my spouse, and my godson, will be shooting their first Appleseed there) and I hope to have my IBC pre-reqs done this month.

If you'll have me I'd like to be at the IBC (assuming I've got the date and place correct).   
Two back-to-back weekends in PA, (woo-hoo!).
" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

kDan

Spanner,

Have you been to an Appleseed event before?  Okay, I just got a pm from b964 showing you have been, so I'm back to modify my post.

Have you by any chance shot a rifleman score yet?  If not, we may still be able to get a waiver for you.  PM either myself, 303shooter, or Nickle to proceed to checkout.   O0

and I will certainly see you and yours at Hallstead (maybe with a new hat).

-d-

Quote from: Spanner on June 09, 2009, 08:52:16 PM
Quote from: kDan on June 09, 2009, 05:12:15 PM
This IBC will be one week before the event at Hallstead so maybe we can get some fresh, clean orange hats on the line that week-end.

Does this mean that the (tentative?) IBC is July 18-19 @ Manheim? 

I was going to Halstead anyways (my spouse, and my godson, will be shooting their first Appleseed there) and I hope to have my IBC pre-reqs done this month.

If you'll have me I'd like to be at the IBC (assuming I've got the date and place correct).   
Two back-to-back weekends in PA, (woo-hoo!).
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

mooney

FYI:  July 18-19 is NOT an IBC, it's just a regular Appleseed shoot.
Mooney

303shooter

Hello all, there has been some confusion on the dates for the proposed IBC.  Manheim July 18-19 will be a regular appleseed event with NO IBC that weekend.  There have been some positive developments and ideas in getting this IBC set up, and I will post a possible date very soon..stay tuned.. :)

Grego

I would be interested. I went to my first appleseed last weekend. I didn't shoot rifleman, but got pretty close, 208. I plan on shooting it before I go to the next one, practicing at a local range, having a friend time me. I live near Philly. I am interested in becoming an instructor. I have read half of Paul Revere's Ride.

kDan

Grego,

You sound like somebody we can use.  Keep it up.  You'll shoot rifleman and I'm sure you can get an invitation to this IBC.  Stay tuned.

303, thanks for all you work.  Let us know what goes on .

-d-
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

303shooter

Grego, we would be happy to have you aboard! Welcome to a great organization, and i look forward to meeting you.

Update on the IBC, all those interested please read.

Originally i had wanted to set an IBC up for late June -Early July at the Manheim DAR. After some more thought and some imput by fellow instructors, im thinking August 8-9 may work out well. 

This date takes several things into consideration in an attempt at making this a successful IBC.  #1. Its far enough ahead to make plans for getting off work etc. #2. It will allow us to pick up any new appleseeders that may have an interest in instructing after the July events in PA and the surrounding states. #3 Its an open weekend on the local appleseed schedule. #4 Those of us that are new IITs can still help instruct events in the time leading up to the IBC. #5 There is a regular Appleseed event at Manheim the following weekend.   

We need some feedback on this from all of you interested in the IBC ASAP. Please post your thoughts here or PM me so we can get comfirm the date and get it on the schedule.  Thanks everyone!.....Denny

Frontsight

303Shooter - Looks like August 8th and 9th is actually open on the old refrigerator door calendar.  I am interested in attending an IBC in the near future and to have one as close as Mannheim would be great.  I attended my first Appleseed at Allemans, PA this past April and shot a couple of rifleman scores.  I've been going out every week or so and doing Q&D AQT's on my own ever since.  Until now I've been using my 10/22 with tech sights and sling.  I want to try and shoot rifleman with my M1A at Mannheim next month, I'm already signed up for that.  I also want to do some actual distance shooting too.  I've read Paul Revere's Ride once so far and just finished a really good book on Saratoga to brush up on my Revolutionary War history.  I just received my RWVA membership card in the mail, so hopefully I'll be able to contribute something to this organization.  I look forward to meeting some of you folks next month.

Are there any flyers I can post around here to drum up interest in the Mannheim shoot?

Frontsight   

303shooter

Way to go Frontsite, you definitly have the spirit!  ;D Were you able to get to the flyer link with the info i sent in a PM to ya?

Frontsight

Yep - Printed it out last night.  Should get copies made and start spreading the word tomorrow.  Think I have my sister talked into letting my 14 year old nephew come too.  He's dying to learn how to shoot the right way.

mooney

Have you checked with Manheim to make sure we can do it there? Originally the 2nd and 3rd weekends were good to host events so i doubt it will be a problem, but wanted to check and see if you contacted them. If not I can work on that since i'm a member there.

Mooney

Quote from: 303shooter on June 19, 2009, 08:43:59 PM
Grego, we would be happy to have you aboard! Welcome to a great organization, and i look forward to meeting you.

Update on the IBC, all those interested please read.

Originally i had wanted to set an IBC up for late June -Early July at the Manheim DAR. After some more thought and some imput by fellow instructors, im thinking August 8-9 may work out well. 

This date takes several things into consideration in an attempt at making this a successful IBC.  #1. Its far enough ahead to make plans for getting off work etc. #2. It will allow us to pick up any new appleseeders that may have an interest in instructing after the July events in PA and the surrounding states. #3 Its an open weekend on the local appleseed schedule. #4 Those of us that are new IITs can still help instruct events in the time leading up to the IBC. #5 There is a regular Appleseed event at Manheim the following weekend.   

We need some feedback on this from all of you interested in the IBC ASAP. Please post your thoughts here or PM me so we can get comfirm the date and get it on the schedule.  Thanks everyone!.....Denny
Mooney

kDan

Just FYAI (for you all's information),

I am scheduled in Elbridge, NY the weekend 8/8 - 9.  If this Manheim IBC is definite, and I still need to work it, I can change my schedule to get there.  I'm sure it can be worked out. 

Any info let me know asap and I will take action. 

kDan
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

tatical308

I haven't shot one yet but am working on getting a shoot at our club in Chambersburg, PA...(in the process now). In the Future, we should be able to have a boot camp here also. I am interested in becoming an instructor also.
Greg
Aim small, miss small!

B9

Quote from: tatical308 on July 11, 2009, 05:08:36 PM
I haven't shot one yet but am working on getting a shoot at our club in Chambersburg, PA...(in the process now). In the Future, we should be able to have a boot camp here also. I am interested in becoming an instructor also.
Greg

Good deal. You should get in contact with Mooney here on the forum. He is working on setting up a shoot in that general area also and maybe you can work together.

You have not been to an AS yet? Shouldn't be a problem to get to one within the next two weeks. We need to build up our Instructor corp ASAP so you will need to get a couple Appleseeds under your belt and the 210 score to get you on track.

Winslow, NJ - July 18 & 19
Manheim, PA - July 18 & 19
Beaver Falls, PA - July 25 & 26
Hallstead, PA - July 25 & 26

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Frontsight

Hey - Is the Manheim Appleseed still going on as scheduled on July 18th and 19th?  I'm registered along with a couple of my nephews, but I didn't see it mentioned in the previous post.  Thanks.

B9

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

tatical308

Quote from: B9 on July 12, 2009, 04:45:21 AM
Quote from: tatical308 on July 11, 2009, 05:08:36 PM
Greg

Good deal. You should get in contact with Mooney here on the forum. He is working on setting up a shoot in that general area also and maybe you can work together.

You have not been to an AS yet? Shouldn't be a problem to get to one within the next two weeks. We need to build up our Instructor corp ASAP so you will need to get a couple Appleseeds under your belt and the 210 score to get you on track.

Winslow, NJ - July 18 & 19
Manheim, PA - July 18 & 19
Beaver Falls, PA - July 25 & 26
Hallstead, PA - July 25 & 26

Mooney and I have already been in contact. He is to attend a club meeting to explain Appleseed this month.
Greg
Aim small, miss small!

GaranDGunn

I would most likely attend a PA IBC if it was east side like Manheim, closer to NJ for me.  Assuming one doesn't arrive earlier/closer.  I should qualify rifleman this weekend at the Hallstead Sunday and have my 2nd appleseed, assuming a 2 day and a 1 day count.

kDan

Well, Garan made it - he's an IIT.  Congratulations!  Jersey coming on strong.

So...  what's the word.  IBC in PA or what?  Mooney?  B9?  303, where are you?

I might have a spot in Pike County east of Scranton.  Depends on a million different things, but how many folks we got interested in this? 

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Spanner

I'm still interested, but my dance card has been filling up (with AS events... maybe I can do some switcheroo-ing with the proper dispensations from high-ranking Appleseed administrators  ^-^ ).

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

B9

I am here waiting and watching.
303 is gonezo as far as I can tell but we should have enough to do one. Mooney has half a seed under his missing thumb, GaranDgun, Frontsight, Grego, Spanner all meet the requirements. Plus there should be one or two from Hallstead and Beaver Falls that want in.
Medea Benjamin

GaranDGunn

The sooner the better.  I'm trying to juggle alot of stuff for the remainder of august.  The last weekend of august is an absolute no for me, other than that it can probably be accomodated.