News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chillicothe, IL May 23-25

Started by M.E., May 25, 2009, 12:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.E.

It's late Sunday evening on day 2 of a 3 day shoot I am exhausted but yet exhillerated at the same time.  Appleseeding tends to do that to ya.  So time to start an AAR. 

I am thrilled that all 6 of team 'Wurstmacher' were able to attend the Chillicothe shoot.  4 as IIT's (5 by the end of today) and 2 as shooters.  NoFoMoHo, who to this point, has been attending each shoot we have gone to as a participant (even though she has shot Rifleman score at all of them, including the first AQT today) finally took on the orange hat and spent the second half of today as an RSO doing an outstanding job...if you will allow a mother to say that. Not exactly sure what took her so long but I am sure she will fill us in on that. 

Congratulations to 3 new Riflemen today!  Nick, Tim and Austin.  All 3 were well deserved.  They all persevered! And I am anticipating a few more orange hats being administered.  There are several others knocking on that door ready for it to open.  That is the glory of a having a 3 day shoot.  I suspect the flood gates to open wide tomorrow as all the information that has been thrust upon all the participants will finally come together. 

I have LOTS of pictures and will post when my eyes aren't so droopy.  I can't wait to hear from you about your Chillicothe appleseed experience.

For now....
M.E. 
Matriarch of team 'Wurstmacher'

Old Glory!

Congratulations NoFoHoMo!  and all the new Riflemen.   Continue in your persistence; it is an honor to Appleseed with you.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

NoFoMoHo

First off, Old Glory, my name is NoFoMoHo. However, I thank you for your support. I am glad to say that I am proud to be an IIT and can't believe that I didn't listen to TC and become one before. Thank you for accepting me and allowing me to help out as an RSO.
Had fun helping out AR (Abby Rose) and seeing her get into the picture.
Meetings at the end of the day were probably the best! (so if you want in on the real fun become an iit). Seeing Ben choke on food from laughing so hard and all of Rev's comments were priceless!
Being the only one of two who cleared the red coat first thing Sunday was pretty sweet. (the only other person was AR) isn't that awesome! She is only ten.
I had fun taking pictures and having my picture taken. Lol
I met lots of pretty neat people and became very close in the rifle shooters family with lots of them! 
Congratulations to all who made rifleman, especially the two women who were fortunate enough to get to stay later today and shoot a green coat and get fantastic scores earning the rifleman title.
I hope you all get to come again someday and I hope our paths will cross again on this journey we are all on.
~NotfromMontanaHannah~

-Breath in, breath out, relax-

OddBall

Well I guess its my turn.... So wow this was an awesome shoot to be at. We had a great group of shooters and a great shooting facility and a great time. We had a six members of a family at this shoot *counts fingers* yeah six and wouldnt you know it by the end of day three four of them went home rifleman..... well two rifleman and two riflewomans... hmmm familys coming to appleseeds what a great idea. (Remember this is coming from the oldest of the children of one of  the original if not the original Illinois Large Family of Rifleman... at least I would like to think so) Camping on the range in my van parked along side Reville and Ben1775 was a real treat. But any way back to the shooters. We had a lot of shooters by the end of day three really getting their positions down I think I barely had to correct any elbows or chicken wings or heck even follow through problems... BUT I do have to stress one thing FRONT SIGHT FRONT SIGHT FRONT SIGHT!!!! If they get that down than WATCH OUT ALL YOU OTHER STATES WE ARE GONNA GET YOU. Okay well as you can tell I am still pretty pumped about this shoot.... Wow I am tired I will post more later...think i will go to sleep now........zzzzfrontsightzzzzzzzfrontsightzzzzzzzzfrontsightzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hey Man, I'm drinking wine, eating cheese and catching some rays.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Garand69

Team Wurstmacher Rocks!!

It's about time you grabbed an Orange Hat NFMH you Slacker!!!

Oddball...... A Van? Down By The River?? Sounds like an SNL skit **)

Sounds like a great Shoot Ben1775, Thanks for Helping out Illinois[ucks]  O0 and of course thanks to all of the IIT's for steppping up to help Ben1775 You all rock!

AR thats is some great shooting  O0

And those new Rifleman, welcome aboard and feel free to grab a bucket  <:)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Reveille

I would like to start by thanking all of the shooters for taking the time to come out and learn about our heritage, you truly are great Americans and showed a HUGE amount of perseverance.....  Great Job!!!  As a new IIT it was a pleasure to see so many of you reach rifleman scores on your first shoot, this is no easy task so wear the patch proudly.  FYI, if you are a liberal thug, stay the h*** away from the Pratt household if you know what is good for you. It would be an honor to see all of you again soon.

Ben, it was a pleasure working with you. Your candor and direct instruction will serve me well, thank you.  My entry into the IIT ranks could not have been more seemless.  I must say Archaeological and gravitational analogies are not usually my strong point but apparently sometimes they are.  It was very entertaining at times.......in deed.

Team Wurstmacher; where to start....  After meeting your family at Alton on April 19th I new instantly that you are a very special family.  I was pleased to see your names appear on the Chillicothe instructors schedule and you did not let me down.  I look forward to seeing all of you in Bonfield.  (Oddball if you want, I will bring my rodent trap along this time.)  This may save your back! To be continued.

Chillicothe Sportsmans Club rocks!!!!!  My wallet will be $105.00 lighter soon.  It will be worth every dime.

The next Appleseed in Bloomington this weekend could not come soon enough.

See you soon, Reveille.

A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Cookie

Hey Cookie here, Congrats to the Pratts. Anyone who left early missed a show. Both Pratt women shot Rifle(Wo)man.

I can only say that I hope to see Phil & Carol at a shoot soon. Man, I wish I could go to the ISRA shoot in a few weeks :'( :'(

Some times you have to stick your finger in...(the trigger guard) #)

-ERS
There are people who try to be cool but it is those who lead the way that actually are. -Words of Ethan Stites

When you react to something in a negative manner, be it anger or fear. You just failed the Ego Ball & Dummy. -Spoken by Fred at the IL AIBC 7/24/2011

This planet is a test. If it wasn't then there would be intelligent humans. -Fred

Missouri Brigade

Thanks to all of the instructors who spent their weekend in Chillicothe.  Hopefully I can get it done soon.

Steve

prattski

Yesterday, day three of the Chillicothe Appleseed, my family and I were finishing up lunch and hoping the rain would stop (which it did) so we could run through a few more AQT's without getting drenched. By today we were sure we had gotten into the rhythm and knew what to expect when the next AQT was posted, except for the fact that Ben1775 threw us a curve-ball and made us do it backwards, probably because he knew Nick likes AQT's that way. Much later, at the end of the day, we went home a little sore but happy we went, and especially blessed that we could go as a family.

This weekend was my family's first Appleseed event and I found the instructors to be very helpful and professional and the range nearly perfect! I appreciated hearing history from a different point of view, a view more in line with my own.

I want to give a big thank you to team Wurstmacher, Reville, Ben1775, the Chillicothe Sportsman's club and all the other volunteers that made this possible. You guys really worked well together to make this a great weekend. I certainly appreciate your patience and the way you all took us under your wing, included us, and made us feel like we were all one big family. The only unfortunate part of the weekend is that now I need to change my screen name.
I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

M.E.

Time to try to post a few pics.  I get a little  !@#) with the whole thing.  Bear with me....

Day started with a demo on how a Rifleman drinks his coffee!  (Thanks for the demo from Iowa Mark at the IBC in Baraboo this winter)

M.E.

Introduction of Instructors and Appleseed.

M.E.

Here is Wurstmacher helping us experience the first strike of the match.

NoFoMoHo doing her first instruction with Phil

Half the line in Standing position.

M.E.

Wurstmacher Instructing Sue.

Most but not all of the family Pratt in Prone.

Nick Pratt Checking Targets.

M.E.

Austin must have had trouble staying on his own Target.....

But you can see this solved his problem......

'AR' blown away that she cleared the red coat...(she's 10 btw)  Being helped by brother Cookie and Sister NoFoMoHo.

M.E.

Sunday's Riflemen

Old Glory!

The Wurstmacher team in action!  Good job on the pictures ME.   Less than a year ago we attended our first AS together.   MY! MY! MY!   You are a good example of Appleseed, Family-Style.  

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

ben1775

WOW, what a great shoot! I can't thank the shooters enough for coming out and making this a great AS. The Pratt family was an inspiration, four Riflemen all on their first AS, they clearly now very well what they are about. And now they can be a family of instructors just like the Wurstmachers!

And a BIG thanks to team Wurstmacher and Reveille who made this shoot easy and a heck of a lot of fun!

And of course thanks to the Chillicothe Sportsman's Club for allowing us the use of their fantastic facility.

M.E. great pictures and more to come I hope.

And MO Brigade, only a matter of time my friend, I have an orange hat at the ready for you.

Ben

bobapunk

Figured this would be as good of a place as any for my first post.

Thanks to all the instructors and Ben for a great weekend.  It defiantly felt good to shoot that 221 on the 2nd AQT of the weekend. My goal was to earn a rifleman patch, and with all of your help I did! And not only me, but my Dad, Mom, and sister!  I have a feeling that the other 2 brothers will be practicing and be ready to go at the next Ottawa AS!

Once I get used to my AR Carbine, I am going to shoot rifleman with it too, just wait and see! I shot a 183 with it and that was really the first time I shot it.

Nick

PS- M.E. can you email some full resolution pics to me?  bobapunk@hotmail.com

M.E.

Sorry had to go to AR's Softball game here are a few more pics.  Nick I sent home a CD with all pics on it with your dad and told him he had to make copies for you.  Hope that works for you. 

Here are a few more pics.  Ben working with Sue on seated.  Adjusting her sling.

Ben scoring Targets

Wurstmacher and Mike looking over his target

M.E.

Here is Don in Prone

Standing line

NoFoMoHo learned how to stretch out before shooting from Philip (with 1 'L') 

M.E.

We had Father/Son  Dan and Austin

Husband/Wife Sue and Tim

And even a set of Twins  Jacob and Zachary

M.E.

MO Brigade  Soon to be Rifleman Mo Brigade that is!  He was so close!! 

M.E.

Don't forget we had a couple of Walk On's on Saturday that ended up staying the day and really enjoying themselves.  Aarons Wife and friend.  Oddball was bringing them up to speed demoing Prone. 

OddBall

Actually Garand it was in a van down by a flooded campground but yeah... Im also thinking about joining the Sportsman Club there it is a great range and if all the guys there are like Cliff well then sign me up!!! well that and I really want some roasted bandit...
Hey Man, I'm drinking wine, eating cheese and catching some rays.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Klippefurt

Ben,
I'd like to officially thank you and your great crew for a great weekend. I really enjoyed it, even though I didn't get to shoot. Met a lot of super people, and made many new friends.
We (Chillicothe Sportsmen's Club) are on board for Labor Day weekend (another 3-day shoot), and I will keep working on getting additional shoots for us. Please accept this invitation to come back to shoot anytime. This invitation is also extended to your top notch crew!
Cliff

Castle Mountain

Cookie you will have your wish. Thanks again for the Cherry Coke. You saved the day!!!
Hope my dry Canadian humor didn't offend you. ;)

Carol and I just want to express our heartfelt appreciation to all of you that participated in making this the best memorial day weekend possible. What a great bunch of folks.
We had the time of our lives, exercise that nearly dropped me (or was it my extra 20 lbs I am going to get rid of?) , thank my chiropractor for the stretching exercises that allowed me to persist.
This was a great fellowship of wonderful people. We got to share some moments that witnessed some proud fathers, proud daughters, sons and wives. It was truly special. We felt no shame in not achieving
rifleman but came away more knowledgeable and enriched from such an experience. The historical narrative
was splendid and certainly the foundation of what this weekend was all about. Wish we could have heard more
but we have ordered the books already. ^-^

We were thrilled to meet all you. Ben, thanks for your support and splendid leadership, Wurstmacher good sir, thank you for your patient and expert teaching and your ability to teach self awareness. Oddball said to me
that you were the best. He was right!! He said so with a passion of a son who is very proud of his dad.
Next shoot Carol and I will honor your coaching by earning rifleman status, that is a promise!

Carol has already ordered new trigger components (VQ) for her rifle. I have ordered a new cheek pad to guarantee a positive cheek weld. I still have a sore cheek bone from that cheek welding  you did on me.
I wrote  to  Savage and gave them heck for not offering 10 round magazines and pray they do so ASAP.
I considered their semi auto loader but the review about them were not very impressive so I chose their bolt gun,Carol has solved her Magazine jamming, having ordered more mags and Remington Viper ammo (brass coated). So all in all I think we have solved some problems and we will test our rifles in a new context
of understanding and rather than ignorance.  We purpose to be out at Chilicothe this weekend for some perfect practice so we can shoot perfect. Ahhh yes grasshopper, " you and your rifles need to be one", come next shoot.

We do hope we get to run into some of you again soon out in Chilicothe. If you don't have a membership
we hope you get one. It's a good deal.

Hopefully I can get my AR-10 and my scope and body in sync to shoot well. I was reluctant to shoot it until
everything is aligned as the ammo costs cannot justify me doing so just yet.

Oddball, thank you again for your gracious offer to wear your jacket. You are a good man possessed of
great hospitality. You certainly made us feel welcome. I still think you look like Hank Snow Jr. **) all you
needed was a cowboy hat. You a good singer by chance? :)
By the way, I took your advice and called 'Fred' on the telephone as soon as we got home and he took our order (I was surprised to catch him) for two jackets and target kits and some GI rifle slings. It was a privilege to speak with him and I apprised him of what a great weekend Ya'all made possible and what a great job you are doing.

Ordered some liberty patches from Apple Seed, hope they arrive soon. Where can we get name
patches made up for us? Would someone tell me please?

NoFoMoHo you did a fine job instructing and thankyou, thank you thank you for the kind offer
to use your personal rifle. That was really precious of you.

Hope to see the cookie lady again, can't get the
taste out of my mouth. (ya, like I need another cookie, eh)? 

Wurstmacher you have a wonderful family ( God has blessed you indeed).

There was a lady (rifle woman) needing some graphic work done for a taget or something I glanced at on the forum?  Use Adobe Ilustrator for making your targets, but if you have not choice make certain your preference settings are for CMYK (which is for printing quality). If you can't do it I have the full graphic Designers equipment. Just drop me a note. It only took me a few minutes create my Appleseed avatar
which I have posted.

Ben 1775 drop me an off channel when ever you get the chance. I think you would look stunning in
a red beret.

See ya'all in Kankakee in two weeks we hope.

Best regards,

Philip & Carol

Cromwell‥when his troops were about crossing a river‥concluded an address‥with these words--'put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry.'
[1856 E. Hayes Ballads of Ireland (ed. 2) I. 191]

quote author=Cookie link=topic=7319.msg67774#msg67774 date=1243348614]
Hey Cookie here, Congrats to the Pratts. Anyone who left early missed a show. Both Pratt women shot Rifle(Wo)man.

I can only say that I hope to see Phil & Carol at a shoot soon. Man, I wish I could go to the ISRA shoot in a few weeks :'( :'(

Some times you have to stick your finger in...(the trigger guard) #)

-ERS
[/quote]
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Cookie

There are people who try to be cool but it is those who lead the way that actually are. -Words of Ethan Stites

When you react to something in a negative manner, be it anger or fear. You just failed the Ego Ball & Dummy. -Spoken by Fred at the IL AIBC 7/24/2011

This planet is a test. If it wasn't then there would be intelligent humans. -Fred

Garand69

Castle Mountain,

I beleive we have met at the Chillicothe Gunshow????

But that is besides the point, your post brings a tear of joy to the eye, and totally justifies the efforts made not only by this incredible crew that is building up in Illinois, but those who make the sacrifice to travel out of their home State to Shoot Boss an Illinois Event!!!!

While I was at the shoot in Ottawa and had nothing to do with you and your wife's experience, Your post has reaffirmed that something is going right in Illinois.....from the bottom of the heart, THANKYOU ;)
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

bobapunk

Some pics of my achievement!

Cookie

Sweet Boba,
To bad I've scored a... 225!Naw I'm just giving you a hard time. You did great.  ;D ;D