News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wilsonville Mar. 28-29 AAR (well BAR "cause it hasn't happened yet)

Started by Wheeler44, March 27, 2009, 02:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheeler44

This is from an e-mail sent out by member NEW YORK the state Ambassador for Oregon.

QuoteIf you weren't pre-registered, it is too late.  Max was 50, as of today 63 were
wanting in.  It is possible (but unlikely) you can get in as a walk on if a dozen or
so people cancel between now and 8:30am Saturday morning.  The only thing I can say
is show up at the event ready to go by 8am and hope.

Next shoot within a hour and a half of Portland is Castle Rock, Wa. on April 18 &
19.  Max is 40 and last count several days ago was 25 registered. 

You can register online here:
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/238919615

Thanks to everyone involved who promoted this Wilsonville event.

Keith Kaiser - for hosting this event.
Terry  - for talking to Keith about Appleseed.
Renee - for getting Wheeler on her TV show to promote Appleseed.
Wheeler, Allan, Manuel, & Lee for manning the Appleseed table at  Wes Knodel's gun
show.
AmbulanceDriver - for getting the banner, and all the gunshow support material
ready, also his 2 minute promo on Lars Larson.
And everyone else through word of mouth and e-mail who helped spread the word.

It takes a village.

Have fun - be safe!

And earn your Rifleman's patch!

www.appleseedinfo.org

-sal

Thanks Sal.... and everyone that helped make this the biggest Appleseed in the Nation this weekend....Bigger things yet to come..

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Big Sal

Thanks Sal.... and everyone that helped make this the biggest Appleseed in the Nation this weekend....Bigger things yet to come..

Wheeler44

[/quote]

I have the feeling this event is going to bust open the floodgates in Oregon.  I'm not counting on it though.  I will continue to turn over every stone [relentlessly] so we can establish a DAR within Portland/Salem for the Spring, Summer, and Fall months.  Oregon will soon be a contender.  They'll be blaming the ammo shortage on us!

Be safe out there Wheeler...and teach 'em well.

New York 

�To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them�  -Richard Henry Lee, Signer of the Declaration of Independence

calinb

Sal,

My wife, Julie, and I missed you at Wilsonville.  Thanks for turning me on to Appleseed.  I proudly wore my Oregon Firearms Federation hat, which kept the rain off my head, and maybe we'll be doing more unofficial Appleseed/OFF cross pollination together at future events.  Here in Oregon, we need them both!

The Wilsonville instruction was first rate but the weather wasn't so first rate on Saturday.  Julie and I volunteered to leave the muddy line on Sunday to go practice at a friend's small private range instead and free up a little muddy space on the line (instead of DEEP muddy space), but we'll be attending Castle Rock in the future. 

Julie and I were glad to be a part of the largest Appleseed event yet and the first in Oregon, I think.  We're both psyched to get Rifleman.  She'll probably get it before me, at the rate she's learning!

Regards,

-Cal

Wheeler44

Well I hate for an AAR to sound too much like a weather report so suffice it to say it was wet.  Real wet. 
44 brave souls showed up on Sat. to learn their heritage and how to shoot their rifles.  Unfortunately the weather started driving them away at lunch time. I don't blame 'em.. heavy rains and low temps combined with wind gusts up to 25 MPH does not make for a good learning experience. But a rifleman persists and many folks stayed through the day learning the six steps etc.  We rolled it up at about 4:30 and except for one IIT gettin' his truck stuck in the mud, it was a pretty quick retreat.  We elected to not go out for an AAR but to retire to the warmth of our homes.  I cleaned the 8 loaners that I had out and got 'em ready for another day in the mud.

Next day; the target line was mostly submerged...not good.  Thirty shooters showed up, rarin' to go.. What to do?

Five good fathers and husbands volunteered to bring their families back at a later date so I broke all of the rules and took note of their names, to "credit" them  at a later date.

The fifteen shooters that stayed set up and IIT "Mr. Wilson" soon had them prone in the mud reviewing the lessons from the day before.  Groups started shrinkin',  smiles started forming on shooters faces...Heck, I even saw an instructor or two smile.  Mr. Wilson was runnin' such a tight firing line I just kept him at it..he got us through all of the points of instruction by lunch and after a moving "dangerous old men" by the instructor corps the shooters were back on the line by 1:00 for QDAQTs... seven of 'em by one instructors count. Soon fatigue and equipment related problems started rarin' their ugly heads...only to be stomped into the mud by the instructor corp.  Encouragement and loaner rifles helped get those shooters through a grueling afternoon. Way to go team.  One shooter made rifleman on the last (or was it the second to the last?) AQT of the day. Way to go phlii. 

At the end;  lots of happy shooters, a new RED HAT in Oregon (way to go mister clark), three new Orange hats(Thanks, a Rifleman named Sue, Banduki and phlii) and Oregon is well on its way to having a very successful program....

Thanks to everyone that came out; shooters you were great, Instructors you are the backbone of this organization and a special thanks to Sandelie Golf course owner Kieth, We couldn't have done it without ya.

Wheeler44   
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Big Sal

Cal - I knew you would dig this!  I had a gunshow that weekend in Grants Pass (where it was nice and sunny by the way), so I couldn't get anyone to cover for me.   :(

Keep your eyes and ears open for anyone in Oregon who has some acres of property with a natural berm, loves our country, is saddened about the direction she has taken, and wants to do something about it.

I'll be happy to follow up on any leads - just pass them my way.

New York
�To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them�  -Richard Henry Lee, Signer of the Declaration of Independence

calinb

Sal, Wheeler,

My friend with the property down near Salem says his horses spook easily.  He said it might be possible to host a centerfire only event, but that would be best case.

I should be finished with my AR-15 22LR upper improvements within a few days.  I'm configuring it as an ""eliminator" AR-15 upper (16" barrel with the sight radius of a 20" rifle) by installing a full floating DPMS hand guard with a front sight rail way up front.  I'm also customizing a DPMS high top upper for it and I call it my "high/low."  It has a low rail section for a removable iron rear sight and a high section for a scope--just in case my 50-year-old eyes STILL can't see the front sight clearly;).  Lacking an ejection port door and forward assist, it's perfect for the blowback-powered LR22.

Julie will be using it up at Castle Rock.  I'll be baby sitting our daughter.  I need to find more time to practice before I shoot an Appleseed again.  (Never did go turkey hunting this year and my tag was wasted.)   I did find time to shoot a John C Garand Match and obtained the same result as my last JCG match (within one point of my previous score and another bronze pin).  Obviously, I need to practice to improve.

I hope to at least see you both up at Castle Rock.

Regards,

-Cal