News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harlan, KY, 5/23-24/2009

Started by dond, May 23, 2009, 11:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

It's late. I'm tired. But we had a tremendous day. There were only 7 shooters. Three of them made Rifleman. One of them became an IIT and worked on the line already, and will do more tomorrow. We also expect more Riflemen tomorrow.

We shot on the grounds of the Immanuel Baptist Church. It is absolutely the best location I have ever seen for an Appleseed shoot. The preacher and church staff are extremely supportive and will welcome us back. It has an extremely large field, three huge berms to choose from, a large shelter with tables, a water cooler, sink with running water, and grills which were generously offered to us. We have been assured that a cool breeze always flows through the shelter area. What more can you want, except more shooters. I think those will develop in time. I'm sure more will be added to this post later, but I'm going to bed now.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

funfaler

FANTASTIC!!  LOOKS LIKE SOUTHEAST KENTUCKY IS GETTING A SOLID FOOTING.....

Dare we think DAR? 

Good work.

Looks like KY will need an IBC very soon!

Thanks

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

dond

Well it's late again. Sunday this time. What a great day. What a great weekend. Kyjam, James, and Tony made Rifleman scores Saturday. I immediately gave Kyjam an orange hat and started her as an RSO. Others were improving their scores. Elizabeth and Thomas were getting frantic because they hadn't made their scores yet, and hadn't planned to come back Sunday. They changed their minds and returned, determined to make Riflemen scores. We couldn't begin shooting on church grounds until 12:30. It was discovered early that their NPOAs were faulty and they began to correct that. After completing the next to the last AQT before they had to leave, I volunteered to score those targets while they shot the last one quickly. Happily, they both scored Rifleman. The look on their faces when we announced it and presented their patches was priceless! Tony had also returned and scored Rifleman again, at the same time as the others, using a different rifle than he had used on Saturday. All of us were elated with Elizabeth and Thomas since they wanted it so badly and had worked so hard. Some pictures were made and I'm sure they will appear here later. These three were the only ones who returned Sunday. Of course, Kyjam and her husband, Brad, were there, both serving as IITs. And a good job they did. Bama was also there,with his usual quality performance. Therefore, there was indeed a good student to instructor ratio. But what about that Rifleman ratio? Five out of seven shooters made it. It's quite possible the remaining two would have if they had returned. It's frequently difficult to get 5 Riflemen out of a large AS. Congratulations to all the shooters, as well as the instructors.

Tony was not only a shooter, but the local contact and promoter of the event. He did a terrific job of obtaining this location and has great ideas for promoting Appleseed in the region. 

I'm off to bed again. We plan to finish the trip home tomorrow.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

kentuckyjam

Dond is right, what a beautiful site for an Appleseed.  We were spoiled with the facilities, nature, and the expanse of the area (see pics).  He was enlightening as always with history.  I catch a little more each time.  He is also more than helpful with the shooters, urging them on to Rifleman, providing whatever they need.  His passion is unmistakable.

First time at a shoot with Bama.  He, too, is on fire for Appleseed.  He never stops coaching, determined the shooter will reach their goal.  He did very well with history today and proudly flew his flag for us this weekend.  Thanks for showing your overflowing patriotism.

This was Brad's first Appleseed as an IIT.  He was line boss Saturday (it's a little strange having your husband yell commands at you ???) and RSO Sunday.  Great job!  He cares about shooters doing their best.  I'm excited to see how he progresses.

Congrats to all the Riflemen!  Tony and James made it on Saturday.

We had 3 shooters on Sunday: Tony, Elizabeth and Thomas Jefferson.  Yes, that's his name - don't know his last name, but will be known as "Quickly Quickly" once registered on the forum.  Elizabeth was already practicing the 7th step after her first Appleseed in NC.  She brought Thomas along with her this weekend (already told him safety rules, etc) and on Sunday, they both scored Rifleman on teh same course of fire!  We knew they could do it and what a thrill it was to see their faces (see pics) when it was revealed they had made it.  They refused to give up.  They hadn't even planned on being there Sunday, but worked it out because they both know what they are made of.  My hats off to you guys!

Guess that is now my orange hat.  ;D  I told dond I wanted to shoot Rifleman again before taking the honor.  He understood, and when I shot it on my 1st AQT, I was ready.  Training others is more rewarding than I imagined.  Brad and I are hooked.  

So, yes, Funfaler, we will need an IBC in KY soon.  O0

Thanks to everyone for another wonderful weekend.  I challenge the new Riflemen to go forward with the 7th step.  Share your excitement and awakening to our country's heritage.
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

funfaler

To All:

This is great news! 

Kentucky has been too lack luster for too long.  I sure do love to hear stories like those here and hearing about the Appleseeds taking root in the Blue Grass.

There is a great deal of potential in Kentucky, and frankly, with the locations and Instructor corps growing, there is that hope that KY will be an Appleseed state sooner than later....that makes a funfaler smile  O0

Thanks to all that made this Harlan location happen, I must assume that we have arranged several more dates at this location.  Kyjam, this is a great location for a special project, and this excites me as well  ;)

BTW, congrats to Kyjam for taking on the Orange Hat, you two will make a great teaching team!

Thanks for the reports and the efforts of all.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

MANSKER

Hey What a Great Report-

Have watched the blog all day looking for the report and what good news.

Congrats to all 5 new riflemen aNd a BIG THANKS TO THE INSTRUCTORS AND TO TONY  for their hard work.

IBC IN KY-ABSOLUNTLY AND ASAP-NEW ORANGE HATS NEEDED.

ANXIOUS TO HEAR MORE OF THE DETAILS FROM BAMA-DOND AND TONY.

GREAT JOB GUYS AND HERES HOPING FOR MANY MORE SHOOTS IN THAT AREA.

MANSKER
"I came-I saw-I conquered!"---JULIUS
Many men die years before they are buried-I plan to live until I die-and that unexpectedly!

student

Great job all!

Glad to hear it went so well.

We may not have drawn many out this time but the ones we got are top quality.

Great job again.

Aaron
Live the life others gave up for you.

www.skillgarden.net

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the way!

brdholman

Once again I think everyone else gave a good report of this shoot. Thanks to Tony for setting this up, the church for allowing us to be there. It really is a perfect appleseed location. Bama, dond, sarah, kyjam it was great to work with you and was a perfect weekend to work our first shoot. Great instructors to work with, great students to work with, and the rifleman ratio couldn't be much better. I hope we get a chance to do another shoot there soon. Congratulations new riflemen.

Mudcat

Sounds ike you all had a great time at a great place. I know Harlan has some beautiful country and some of the nicest people I have ever met. Congratulations to all the new Riflemen. A special congratulations to Brad and KYjam for stepping up and taking the orange hat. I am confident you will become great instructors. O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Bama

Sorry for the delay posting. I accidently poured coffee in my keyboard this morning and it apparently drowned to death.  :-\

What can I say about the shoot? The Spirit was moving in Harlan, Kentucky this weekend!

I owe so many so much gratitude that I will be hoarse from giving so many Rebel Yells! For those not already aware, a "Bama Rebel Yell" is a Suthron benediction of an auricular nature (not just a common "thanks").

Much praise to the good people of Immanuel Baptist Church. Beautiful place and the facility was perfect for this Appleseed. I cannot wait for the next one in September!

Thanks to Tony for all his efforts in securing this location. Tony has some excellent insight into his community and how to effectively maximize the efforts of volunteers. Tony scoring Rifleman with iron sights, while using the USGI websling in loop was a particular highlight for me. Now, I'm sure he's glad I threatened him with bodily harm to use the loop sling.  &) Now if I can just get him to wear the orange hat. It would keep me from having to spray paint his head blaze orange in September.  ^-^

A special mention to Student and Mansker for taking the time out of their lives and away from their family and other duties to come and promote this event. I hope to have supper with both of your guys in the near future. Student, the fruit of your kindness and encouragement was notably present this weekend.

All of the shooters were a pleasure to work with.

Thomas Jefferson (to be Quickly-Quickly! when registered) was an absolute hoot! Appleseed needs his energetic enthusiasm and never ending smile. The Thomas Jefferson that is no longer with us in flesh wrote of shooting as the perfect sport for exercising the body and sharpening the mind. You, Thomas, lived up to your name and came a long way from shooting yourself in the foot this weekend!  **) Now go out and tell all your friends and family about it!  @@)

I have long said that scoring Rifleman is mind over matter. Once you make up your mind and have the proper mental attitude it is just a matter of time. Elizabeth could not have had a more PERFECT attitude this weekend.  @) She did not let malfunctions get her down. She was always eager for instruction, positive and focused on the task at hand. Whoa! to the tyrant who provokes the wrath of a pious woman who can score expert on the AQT in a long skirt! Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty!  O0

Tony brought his two sons on Saturday. Joseph did well and surely would have scored had he had the opportunity to come on Sunday. James had only about two hours of sleep Friday night and "dear ole dad" Tony drug him along anyway. James scored!!! Talk about a smile, James looked to be all teeth.

Zachary also improved through the day and would have probably scored had he come on Sunday. I hope to see you again in September Zac!

Kudos to the dedication of kyjam who not only scored Riflewoman on the first AQT, but immediately put on the orange hat to help. Brad and kyjam were a huge part of the equation this weekend. I must confess that my favorite part of having a non-camo hat on is being able to individually coach the shooters and ya'lls help with RSO & LSO duties freed me up to start doing just that. I would like to see more individual coaching as opposed to just walking up and down the line looking for the obvious things. The more good people that take the 7th step the easier increasing that instructor to shooter ratio will be. I am most happy to have you two on board.

Kyjam, I apologize for waving my arm in front of the camera when you were taking a photo of Joseph. When I saw the photo you posted I was like "duh"!  %) I vaguely recall doing so, and I think I thought you were having problems with the camera view and ignorantly thought that perhaps seeing my arm waving around would reveal the zoom was up or something. When you meet Big Pappa you ask him about how to tell if someone is from Alabama.  #) Thanks again for your help.

Don is always a pleasure to work with. I feel like we connect well, both being Sons of the South. I look forward to seeing you in July my friend.

An extra special thank you to Sara, Don's wife. Your participation is of monumental importance. I'm sure Don would agree that he would not be able to accomplish all the things that he has if not for your unwavering support. Not many would have come while suffering from the allergies that were plaguing you, much less with an efficacious demeanor. You get the Dixie Darlin' Dauntlessness Award! Yea, I just made that up.  ++)

Thanks again to all those involved in effort and spirit.

In Liberty, I am
Bama

And Mrs. Bama displaying the Bama Appleseed Riflemen Campaign Flag:

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

QuicklyQuickly

wow! what can i say it was a clip full of awesomenessssssssss i got rifleman on my second day of A.S.i came a long way from being stupid ++) and almost shooting myself or elizabeths foot  :~ the day before to getting rifleman and a cool nickname. (Quickly Quickly) because i was quick to get my clips ready and always wanting to get started again.Oh! and someone mentioned that they didnt know what my real full name was it is (thomas jefferson lee atkins)or just thomas jefferson.i definitely look forward to coming back and seeing bama,kyjam,dond,and brad.they were a clip full of awesomeness! O0

Bama

Thomas, YOU are a high-capacity magazine full of awesomeness!  O0  I will be back and look forward to seeing you, and Elizabeth again. Plan on bringing some friends and family. Remember, squeeky wheel gets the grease, so be persistant in your efforts to bring loved ones that don't yet know how fun or important their heritage is.  &) 

Tell 'em that someone stole something of importance from them and Thomas Jefferson wants to give it back to them.....their heritage.  ;)
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

The Machine

5 Riflemen out of 7...wow!  O0 And dond's gonna be running our RBC...man...that means everyone that attends will be walking away with a patch!  ;D

Hoorah for KY! I think ff was sweating a little bit over the situation down there, until now. Fantastic job guys!  8)
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Pentecostal Shooter

Wow! I am posting this a few days late, but have been thinking about Appleseed for days now. I had such a great time this weekend and have the sore muscles and lots of sunburn  8)to show for it. I am very proud of all the shooters & instructors. Everything went so smoothly this weekend and it was definitely an AS to remember!
I am very happy to report that I earned myself a little green patch at this AS... which was totally awesome! I loved the little sneeky plan in which both Thomas and I were presented with our Rifleman patches. I knew something fishy ??? was going on with all the whispering and was delighted :D when I found out we both scored well!
I was so glad to have met all of the instructors and other shooters; I LOVE meeting new people, especially with similar interests :~. Everyone was so kind and helpful... which provided such a great and fun atmosphere! Thank you so much! I look forward to my next Appleseed and can't wait to see you all again! O0
Pentecostal Shooter - shining my light.. 1 bullet at a time.

kentuckyjam

Welcome Pentecostal!!  So glad you and QuicklyQuickly made it.  Looking forward to seeing you at the shoot in Harlan in September.  Keep the enthusiasm going and spread the word.  You both did a great job taking instruction - even though Thomas is a little confused on how he got his name. :D
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

QuicklyQuickly

oh i forgot the real reason i was name quickly quickly it cause they kept tellling to be quick probalbly because i was always talking @@) :o :D **) :~(chuckle)