News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beaver Falls PA Appleseed July 25th-26th 2009

Started by B9, May 22, 2009, 02:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Range: Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol Club

Address: 505 Constitution Boulevard, Beaver Falls, PA 15010

Range Fee: None

When: July 25th-26th 2009

Camping: No on site camping available at this time. Brady's Run Park is right next to the range and camping is available there. Check event information in the PA state board on the Appleseed forum for details as the event date nears for further details.

Hotels: Econo Lodge‎, RR 18, Beaver Falls, PA‎ - (724) 843-9300
Lark Motel‎, Beaver Valley Interc, Beaver Falls, PA‎ - (724) 846-6507‎

Food: A simple lunch will be available for purchase from the range on Saturday and Sunday, or bring your own. While food is available in town it will take you away from the instruction for too long. Bring water and light snacks.

Directions: The Beaver Valley Rifle club is approx  40 miles North West of Pittsburgh on Constitution Blvd also known as PA route 51. From PA Turnpike, I-76, get off at Exit 10, New Castle/Turnpike 60.  Follow 60 South to the Chippewa Exit. take Rt.51 (Constitution Blvd.) south/east approx 2.5 miles. The range driveway will be on the right next to the Brady's Run Health and Fitness walking path parking lot. the closest building to the driveway is the Beaver County Emergency Services building.

GPS Coordinates: Latitude 40.742020 Longitude -80.337476

State Laws to be aware of: Check State Laws: www.attorneygeneral.gov

Range Rules: Rifles cased and left in vehicle until instructed to bring them to the firing line. No loaded firearms on the range unless on the firing line and load command has been given. Eye and ear protection required. Safety briefing. All types of legal firearms are allowed at this range, centerfire or rimfire.

Capacity: 30

Maximum Shooting Distance Available: This range has a 200 yard rifle range with some facilities for 400 yards.

Range Highlights: Beautiful county setting with a modern range. A range committed to spreading the rifle arts to the young of America. Close to Pittsburgh, Youngstown and Canton and even Wheeling WV.

Contact for more information: Herb Mooney at PA@appleseedinfo.org or 717-580-6151

Link to Register: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/280928264
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

B9

Camping Information

Camping is at Brady's Run Park, right next to the range.

Fires are O.K. as long as they are contained properly.
Firearms are fine provided they are stored unloaded and locked.
Water is available at the camp but is at the bottom of the hill. Signs directing to the water will be up.

The current County Commissioners are all supportive of firearms education and they are the ones who approved the camping area and reserved the pavilion at no charge. Please be sure to follow any posted park rules and leave the area cleaner than when you got there.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Cowdog

I am correct in reading  that this event will have a long range component?

My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

B9

Yes, but the 400 lane is narrow and we will need to do relays. There should be a large portion of new shooters at this one so it may not be a problem.
Medea Benjamin

MeanStreaker

What do we think about EventBrite emailing the participants from Canton/Minerva and Vienna (both Ohio) to announce this?  Both of those events have sold out and aren't too far from Beaver Falls.  I believe Western Rose is the person to contact if it's a good idea.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Trisha

MS I have asked her to send out invites to the people who attended those Appleseeds.

Western Rose

Quote from: MeanStreaker on July 03, 2009, 10:35:47 AM
What do we think about EventBrite emailing the participants from Canton/Minerva and Vienna (both Ohio) to announce this?  Both of those events have sold out and aren't too far from Beaver Falls.  I believe Western Rose is the person to contact if it's a good idea.

Quote from: Trisha on July 03, 2009, 12:00:43 PM
MS I have asked her to send out invites to the people who attended those Appleseeds.

Done! :)
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Trisha

Cowdog

I got lucky today and got to address the Mercer Pa July 4 Tea Party. I was able to talk about  RWVA for two minutes. Afterward, people took about 200+flyers for Beaver Falls, Slippery Rock, and promotional targets. Seemed like real interest.  It was a good morning. 
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

B9

Looks like we are only 3 away from a sell out.
Medea Benjamin

MeanStreaker

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

B9

One away from a sell out. Who is it going to be?
Medea Benjamin

Hey_Dude

So now that it is almost here, who else is going and will you be camping?

I will be attending with my 14yro son.  We will be camping and hope to arrive Friday evening.  This will be the first shoot for both of us.

Cowdog

I will be shooting Saturday.

BTW, Who is shoot boss?

B9

Medea Benjamin

MeanStreaker

I will be camping along with at least a few of the Instructors.

Looking forward to it.
--Thomas Paine

MeanStreaker

If you are trying to register for this sold out event, keep checking the  EventBrite registration page.  We are going to be opening up a few more spots...
--Thomas Paine

Hey_Dude

MeanStreaker, would you have use for a 10 X20 canopy at this event?

MeanStreaker

HD, Yes, that would be very helpful. Thank you! 

Canopies are always beneficial for shade, or for rain (I see there's a slight chance now... nothing we can't handle!)
--Thomas Paine

Hey_Dude

So for those planning on camping, could we coordinate the camp fire situation?  No sence us all bringing everything only to have to lug it back home.  As far as a controlled fire, I have a metal fire ring I could bring or would you rather go with a protable pit/stand....thoughts?  How about wood, how much do we need, who all can bring some?

MeanStreaker

I would absolutely love to have a fire.  I'll bring the marshmellows. :)  Being from out of state, I don't want to risk bringing wood due to all the bug issues. 

Maybe B9 knows if a fire area is already setup and ready for use.
--Thomas Paine

B9

No open fires allowed in the park. Each area does have griddles for cooking and marshmellows.

http://www.co.beaver.pa.us/Recreation/brady.htm

As you can see this is not your average AS campsite. For this to be offered to us is a big deal. Lets make sure we show our appreciation and put a professional showing up front. Beaver Falls could easily become the gem of PA Appleseeds.
Medea Benjamin

MeanStreaker

My bad!  I thought one communal fire was cool.

Well, absolutely, every single camper will be following Appleseed rules and the park's rules.  Not a problem.

My ghost stories are just as scary around a Coleman lantern. :)
--Thomas Paine

Hey_Dude

Quote from: B9 on May 23, 2009, 08:02:30 PM
Camping Information

Camping is at Brady's Run Park, right next to the range.

Fires are O.K. as long as they are contained properly.
Firearms are fine provided they are stored unloaded and locked.
Water is available at the camp but is at the bottom of the hill. Signs directing to the water will be up.

The current County Commissioners are all supportive of firearms education and they are the ones who approved the camping area and reserved the pavilion at no charge. Please be sure to follow any posted park rules and leave the area cleaner than when you got there.

O.K. so I realize campfires in county parks can be touchy, but I asked earlier and you replied, see above.  Has something changed.  I know normally you are not even allowed to camp in county parks.

B9

Contained in the griddle.
Sorry for confusion. I have not been to this range or park as of yet, so the long distance observations may be touch and go.
Medea Benjamin

MeanStreaker

As for long distance, I have not been shipped any long distance targets.  Having a long distance component will depend on:

1) if someone else has some they're bringing,

2) where the long distance range is, as I don't know.  If it is in a separate area, we need a Red Hat to run that line, and I am the only Red Hat coming (as of now).  If it is on the same firing line, it has to run concurrently so we don't shut down 25m and make everyone else wait.

3) how many Riflemen qualify (as long distance doesn't help if you don't have the fundamentals down)

Based on 1 and 2, I am not planning for any long distance component.
--Thomas Paine

Nickle

OK, here's what you can do.

If you can run it concurrently, fine, do so. If you can't, then have everybody go to Full Distance (FD). This can be as simple as a 100 yard line for .22's (or a 100 yard line for everybody, if all you have is 100 yards). All you need for 100 is Classification AQT's (some folks call them Greencoats). The top bull simulates 400 yards, the others 800/1200/1600. have them concentrate on the top bull.

You only need the full size D targets to shoot a FD AQT. Any other FD shooting, you can use any target that can be easily seen. In the absence of anything else, cardboard, tape and black spray paint can be used to make adequate 4 MOA square targets.

Not much excuse to include some FD shooting, if the facility allows it.

MeanStreaker, I'd understand if you handed the FD portion off to B9. He's done this a couple of times already this year. He knows what he's doing with it.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

MeanStreaker

--Thomas Paine

Cowdog

Hey Dude/Campers
Beaver County and four neighboring Counties in Pa have a firewood quarrantine due to Emerald Ash Borer and resultant disease.
It is also illegal to bring firewood into from outside the state right now.
If anyone needs firewood for Beaver Falls, will happily supply free firewood from my place (In the same quarrantine area) . Just PM me and arrange for pickup at the Tim Murphy DAR, 25 miles north of Beaver Falls.
Otherwise try to buy or scrounge locally.

MeanStreaker

Cowdog, read up this thread a few posts.  It appears as if campfires are not permitted where we'll be camping.  Thanks anyway.
--Thomas Paine