News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructors Boot camp

Started by 1911Ron, April 29, 2009, 11:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1911Ron

Calling all IITs we are growing in numbers <:)  <:) I feel that we have enough to warrant an IBC here, so Arizona needs you to step up and be counted, the program needs you to step up.  I am going to send Nickle a PM to get particulars on numbers and when we can do this.  If you know of anyone that does not get on here often let them know of this, so they can check in so we can get a count of interested partys.  Thank you 1911Ron

1911Ron

For everyone's info an IBC is usually 3 days with no range time, not sure of the cost but is very reasonable, it is held in some ones home and is about 10-12 hours a day.  1911Ron

Fred

We need at least 4 - preferably six or more - committed volunteer IITs in order to bring in a senior instructor to run the event.

Ron is correct. It is an intense two days - possibly 18 hours Sat, a little less on Sunday...there's a lot of ground to cover, to prep you for becoming one of the world's premier rifle marksmanship instructors.

So think it over carefully, come up with a decision and as soon as we have four, we'll start working on a date - and getting at least a couple more there.

Cost is about what going to a regular Appleseed costs - only you get more hours of instruction. >:D

Existing IITs can sign up to attend for free, as a refresher.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Xeyed

I was looking for an IBC to attend.

I would be interested in attending.

Do you have a tentative location?

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Humvee

I'm in.  My only limitation is time.  Usually booked the first weekend of each month with Guard drill weekends, plus some upcoming trips. 

My available weekends for the next few months:

May 30/31
July 18/19
Sep 19/20
Sep 26/27

Nickle

Well, planning an IBC goes about backwards compared to an Appleseed.

First step is to identify the students. Looks like you've got a good start. 4 minimum, 6 optimum, 10 plus possible.If you're getting over 10 interested, you waited too long to set one up.

Second step is to arrange for a Shoot Boss for it, and work a date out with them. This is due to the mlimited number of IBC Shoot Bosses. Any MI can be the SB, as can kDan and Dinky Dao. Other Senior Instructors may get certified to do this.

Third step is to select a location. You won't really need to be able to shoot, but, if you're doing a 3 day IBC, you might want Full Distance capability. You MUST be able to set up a mock Appleseed firing line, or a portion of one, and you will need a selection of various rifles for the students to learn about.

Fourth step is to get it locked in and posted, the EIP in to SavageShootr, and the info to me for the Instructor Schedule. Both of us can get it at the same time, and best is in two steps, once when you're pretty sure of the date and location (and those two pieces of info are all we need, along with the name of the SB), again when you've got everything done, so it gets advertised.

Last time I checked, the cost to the students was $100. A bargain. And, check what Fred said about existing IIT's. We prefer they have worked at least ONE Appleseed prior to the IBC to qualify for the free tuition. Military, under 20 and ladies are, as always, free.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

AZRedhawk44

Nickle: 

The Phoenix valley has no freely available full distance area... unless one is willing to use the desert.  We have some 300 yard availability, but nothing to 400 or 500 on a true firing range.

I know of a couple of places where 400+ is available out in the dirt and can help with the IBC if needed... and I wouldn't mind sitting in.  I also have a decent sized house all to myself (and my dog).  There's room in the kitchen for 4-6 people to sit down and talk/lecture.  It's suburbia so shouting out such things as "FIRE!" on mock firing lines might not be the best idea, though.

Another option for a location might be available to us in the form of the Freedoms Phoenix headquarters.  Grassroots libertarian folks with a large warehouse for all sorts of projects to work from.  I can talk to them and see what's available.  I'd need some dates first though.

Nickle

You won't have 400 for any Full Distance AQT's, but, 300 would suffice for learning wind and come ups (to a limited extent). Definitely would reinforce BSZ.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

AZRedhawk44

The closest that 300 is reliably available on a real range is Payson... about a 90 minute drive.  Which adds 3 hours driving time to the IBC for range transportation.

Conversely, the desert just outside of Phoenix (on the way to Payson, or to the north of Phoenix) has 400 yards available.  Half a dozen people doesn't require any type of permit or anything, and folks head out there all the time for shooting.  30 minutes out, 30 minutes back.

Only caveat is if there is a Forest Service fire restriction.  They disallow shooting during fire restriction periods.  Typically in the summer, when it's crazy-hot here anyways and no one in their right mind goes out in the desert to play.  If there is a fire restriction the Payson range will be closed as well, though.

(Of course, no one is saying us Appleseeders are exactly in our right mind... ++) )

1911Ron

I forgot to mention i'm stepping up, who else? 1911Ron

Rumpshot

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on April 30, 2009, 12:36:17 PM
The closest that 300 is reliably available on a real range is Payson... about a 90 minute drive.  Which adds 3 hours driving time to the IBC for range transportation.

Only caveat is if there is a Forest Service fire restriction.  They disallow shooting during fire restriction periods.  Typically in the summer, when it's crazy-hot here anyways and no one in their right mind goes out in the desert to play.  If there is a fire restriction the Payson range will be closed as well, though.

The fire restrictions usually lift in Payson and the mountains about the end of July.
Member Arizona Apple Core.
Appleseeds are formed in the Apple Core.

1911Ron

Ok it sounds like we have a few interested from the Vegas area, what about down south? we have some interested parties from the Phx area, Payson perhaps? If interested please Pm me.  We need commitment from at least 6 people, more the better. If we hope to expand our instructor corps we need to do this sooner rather than later, Thanks AzRon